Start by marking “Not Left Behind: Rescuing the Pets of New Orleans” as Want to Read:
Not Left Behind: Rescuing the Pets of New Orleans

Not Left Behind: Rescuing the Pets of New Orleans

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Not Left Behind is the story of how Best Friends Animal Society rescued thousands of pets from the storm-ravaged, flooded streets of New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. The story is told through the images of Best Friends photographer Troy Snow and the words of five Best Friends rescuers�frontline troops representing thousands of volunteers across the country who ...more
Published July 25th 2006 by Yorkville Press

To ask other readers questions about Not Left Behind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Left Behind

Victoria
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it

Not Left Behind presents a heart-wrenching photographic essay that tells the story of a group of people that went in after Hurricane Katrina to rescue hundreds of pets left behind during the evacuation. While the text is relatively minimal, the photographs taken by Troy Snow speak for themselves, depicting page after page of baleful eyes staring out from emaciated bodies huddled in abandoned boats or on the roofs of cars. I admit, I got teary-eyed a few times; while reading it I felt like I coul
Nancy
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the cover of this book says it all: we must help dogs and cats whenever we can.

I've owned "Not Left Behind: Rescuing the Pets of New Orlean" for a while, something that's afforded me a number of chances to look at the exquisite pictures inside. However, I don't think I'd read the text until today. And tears were stinging the back of my eyes as I read, because I was reminded of how extraordinary people can be.

Peacegal
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This is an excellent photojournalism documentation of one small corner of the Hurricane Katrina crisis--the pet rescue effort by Best Friends Animal Society.

Through the stories and images of individual animals, readers will hopefully come away with a stark reminder of why pets must never be left behind during an evacuation. It's also a testament to the necessity of overhauling the country's natural disaster procedures.
Deborah
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sad -- happy. Many kudos to those who valiantly saved so many pets. And some actually were returned to their owners! You won't soon forget the pictures of the dogs with the haunting looks in their eyes -- and the glorious faces of those rescued.
Kitty
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My son gave me this book about the pets of Katrina. What a heart-warming story of dedicated people who at significant personal sacrifice went about saving the animals left behind. You may shed a tear or two.
James
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book capturing the efforts of the Best Friends Animal Society crew to rescue and save animals left behind following Hurricane Katrina. Shame on you New Orleans and Rescue officials for not allowing evacuees to take their pets with them. Despicable.
Melody
Sep 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Photos and text documenting the search for and rescue of pets in the wake of Katrina. I picked this up because our dog came to us via a pregnant rescued dog. The photos were lovely, the text heart-wrenching, and the volunteers' devotion simply mind-boggling.
Liz White
Mar 07, 2011 marked it as to-read
Another great find at the thrift store.
Jordan
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you like dogs, you should read it.
Linzeyjoy
before and after pics of pets rescued after Katrina were shocking and at the same time showed the undying "companion" spirit of dogs.
Ashley

FS:

LS:
Deborah Replogle
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mostly a photographic essay of pet rescue in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
Lisa
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs
Awe-inspiring stories of rescue coupled with amazing photos... People were not the only victims of Hurricane Katrina.
Teresa
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Mostly photographic ~ very moving.
Kimberly King