Start by marking “It Is Not Time for Sleeping (A Bedtime Story)” as Want to Read:
It Is Not Time for Sleeping (A Bedtime Story)

It Is Not Time for Sleeping (A Bedtime Story)

As the day comes to an end, bedtime draws near. But the little boy in this book is quite sure it is NOT time for sleeping. As each piece of his evening routine is completed—helping with the dishes, playing with the dog, getting into pajamas, brushing teeth with Dad, being tucked in by Mom, and listening to a story—he becomes a little more certain: it is definitely not time ...more
Published November 1st 2016 by Clarion Books

Start your review of It Is Not Time for Sleeping (A Bedtime Story)
Abigail
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those Looking for New Bedtime Stories for Younger Children
As a little boy and his parents go through their evening routine - eating dinner, doing the dishes, taking a bath, tickling the dog, being tucked into bed, reading/listening to a story - the boy continually insists that it is not yet time for sleeping. It is only when he is given his hug and kiss, and told that he is loved, that he is finally ready to head off into the land of dreams...

Lisa Graff, who is best known for such middle-grade novels as A Tangle of Knots and A Clatter of Jars ,
Niki (Daydream Reader)
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bedtime, family, 2016
A great bed time story! I love the illustrations!!
The Library Lady
I am lowering the stars because I dislike Castillo's art, and don't give a damn about her Caldecott Honor, and because this is nice, but no "instant picture book classic." The writer of the jacket copy may wish so, but that doesn't make it so. Nor does the fact that the author has written some good children's novels make her instantly a great picture book artist. They are very different genres.

This might be a great bedtime story for an older preschooler, but text is too long and doesn't have the
Beth
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful bedtime story. Lauren Castillo's illustrations are perfection.
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 5 stars
Art: 5 stars

Bedtime picture book with a cozy feel. Story is cumulative, with additional elements that are outside the serial sentence. Lots of whole family interaction. It's nice to see the dad included as an integral part of the family. Lauren Castillo's illustrations are lovely, especially the last few page spreads. Effective use of the darkness to depict nighttime, which is difficult to render well in a picture book.
Susie
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like the way the illustrations just seem to jump off the page; there is something different about them. I could see this book as a nighttime ritual. The inclusion of the dog makes another layer of cuteness.
Donalyn
Perfect night time read aloud with tender illustrations.
Marcie
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A new classic bedtime story! The book tells the story of a little boy’s nighttime routine – from dinner to bedtime – with each step accumulating in the style of “the house that jack built” or “I know and old lady”. With each ritual, the parents remind him that it’s bedtime, but the little boy insists that “it is not time for sleeping” yet. The author perfectly captures the universal parenting concept that is getting children to bed, but with a calm and continuous tone. The illustrations are ...more
Ma Jiani(Marjorie)
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-689, picture-books
This is a classic bedtime story! This book tells the story of a young boy's nightly routine. Text on the book is very suitable for text content teaching, including some action descriptions and illustrations are combined very well. For example, for a young child, typical dinner rituals include children washing dishes, bathing time, putting on clean clothes, and brushing their teeth. These are all about the cumulative text of a young boy who has not yet had time to go to sleep. In teaching, this ...more
Jocelyn Brame
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This might be the best Don't Want Bedtime book I've ever read. The main character goes through the process of getting ready for bed, but he makes sure his parents know that it is not time for sleeping. Children will enjoy the repetition as each bedtime task gets added on to the refrain: "when dinner is over and the dishes are scrubbed and I'm squeaky-squeak clean..." But when his parents give him a goodnight hug, then it is finally time for sleeping. The ink and watercolor on canvas ...more
Tracey
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This was much better than the last picture book I just read. It's about a boy who's getting ready to put the day behind him but not just yet, since it's not time for sleeping. The story is repetitive and simple, perfect for storytelling to little kids. I'd recommend this for children between ages 4-7. I didn't find it to be toddler friendly. The art was okay, the highlight being the dad with blue glasses. I would have like the art to be more clean cut.
Mary
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preschool
A cozy bedtime book for 2-4 year olds. A little boy and his dog go through his bedtime routine, but he insists it is not time for sleeping. Warm and patient parents help him prepare for the night. The signature Castillo illustrations add to the appeal of this story about a secure and comfortable end to the day.
Cecilia
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I adore the repetition in this one, but the rest of the elements didn't really suit my tastes.

If you or a loved one is a "and one more thing" type person (especially where bedtime is concerned), this book is probably for you!
Mary
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
With a soothing repetitive text and warm, comforting illustrations, a young child uses every excuse to put off bedtime. The story is familiar and the sentiments timeless, but this evocative picture book feels new and relevant -- and can be added to the canon of sleepytime classics.
Daphne
Peaceful, sweet, realistic, cumulative book about a little boy's bedtime ritual. Love the illustrations.
Debrarian
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fine, cumulative bedtime storytime book.
Ginnie
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1000-by-k, 1000-02
Sounds familiar.
Calye
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely book about following a bedtime routine that eventually leads to the time for sleeping.
Cecily V
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The daddy in this book looks like my daddy!
The Reading Writing Puppet
It’s got a nice repetitive rhythm, the illustrations are cute.
Amanda Geske
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“When I’ve munched and crunched my last three carrots (except for the one I fed to Jasper), Mom takes my plate.”
Michele Knott
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Graff has written a bedtime story that is timeless and precious.
Lauren Castillo has illustrated a bedtime story that is timeless and breathtaking.
Abby
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite bedtime book with my girls.
Pam
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun story to share with younger readers about the evening routine that ends with bedtime rituals.
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Nicely done, cumulative bedtime book...
Evan
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A child cycles through his evening routine, all the things that happen BEFORE sleeping- because it's not time for that yet.
The story continues to build on itself as the evening progresses, until it is finally time for sleep.
I'm sure a lot of parents and kids will be able to relate to this book.
Drew Graham
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Little ones might insist it's not time for sleeping, but as they go through the evening routine the inevitable hour draws ever closer.

Toddlers are masters at stalling (though not always so masterful in the manipulation department), and this bedtime book celebrates the ritual of the always approaching bedtime. The illustrations are unique and the concept is fresh but universal in the parenting world.
Kathryn Bergeron
It's a cute book. Perfect for bedtime. But I don't know that it would be good for a storytime. The content is a little young, but the story a little long for a storytime. But it is cute, and I think that by the end of it, a child would be softly sleeping.
Shandra
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super sweet, and I love the artwork! It made me nostalgic for the days my kids were little enough to expect to be tucked into bed. *sigh*

In the style of "This is the House that Jack Built", the story builds on each of the end of day rituals, starting with finishing dinner. Would make a fun one-on-one story with your kiddo, too wordy for toddler or tiny tot storytimes, but could work for a preschool storytime, or pajama storytime depending on the age range.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Graff, Lisa. It is Not Time for Sleeping (A Bedtime Story), PICTURE. Clarion Books, 2016. $16.99.

A young child is not ready for bed. Even though the family goes through their normal routine, he insists, “It is not time for sleeping.” He helps wash dishes, takes a bath, get in jammies, and brushes his teeth. He can’t go to sleep until the very last thing that is supposed to happen, does... Hugs from mom and dad.

This is a completely accurate depiction of the night time routine for a child. There
« previous 1 3 next »

• Goodnight Hockey
  • On My Way to Bed
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Good Night, Baddies
  • Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?
Lisa Graff is the critically acclaimed and award-winning author of the National Book Award nominee A Tangle of Knots, as well as Lost in the Sun, Absolutely Almost, Double Dog Dare, Umbrella Summer, The Life and Crimes of Bernetta Wallflower, The Thing About Georgie and Sophie Simon Solves Them All. Originally from California, she lived for many years in New York City and now makes her home just ...more