Start by marking “Without Borders (Wanderlove, #1)” as Want to Read:
Without Borders (Wanderlove, #1)

Without Borders

(Wanderlove #1)

For Annie London, a month in a Central American rainforest means handing out mosquito nets, giving medical aid, and teaching children about the birds and the bees. With any luck, it will also land her application in the “accepted” pile at a top tier medical school. But as soon as she steps off the plane, Annie realizes her bug spray, feeble Spanish, and medical supplies wo ...more
Published April 19th 2016 by Diversion Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Without Borders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Borders

Ana
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hell-to-the-no
So much potential gone to waste. I had so much hope for this book. Without Borders was so close to being the perfect romance book. It has a great setting, an intriguing plot (which literally goes nowhere) and a captivating hero. The main problem with this book is the heroine. I didn't like her at all.

tumblr_o12szl_RLyf1rqe0rbo1_540

This was a flop for me. Here's why.

SPOILERS.

1) The heroine's sole purpose for joining the brigade had been to boost her resume. I didn't get the impression that she even cared about those people.
Lia Riley
Without Borders had me laughing from the first chapter and finishing with a full heart. The attraction between Felipe and Annie is hotter than a month in a Nicaraguan jungle. Heger's debut is poignant and crackles with a wry, authentic, relatable voice that will appeal to anyone who's ever felt like a twenty-something fish out of water.

PS: How do you not five star a book that has the line "I lost my vagina."
K.
You guys probably know by now that romance books aren't my thing. But given the trash fire that has been 2016, the fact that the bookish community on Twitter has been a clusterfuck over the past week, and the fact that I'm behind in my Around the World in 80 Books Project, I figured I'd pick this one up and give it a go when I saw April shelve it last night.

And honestly? IT WAS DELIGHTFUL.

The gist of it is that a 20-something girl doesn't do so great on her MSATs, but wants to get into medical
Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽*
This was a nice easy read for me.

Annie has gone to spend a week assisting a health team in the rain forest area of Central America. She will be with her old school Mari and her brother Filipe, the guy she kissed when she was 17 years old.

Annie has applied to attend Brown's University and really needs the experience of this trip and a letter of recommendation to help her get accepted.

Annie and Filipe still have the attraction between them that they had as teenagers and it simmers away during the
Nicole
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Felipe. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. 1. Your selflessness 2. Your quiet and brooding attraction for Annie that you fight so hard 3. The way you interact with children 4. You're hot 5. You have an amazing accent. 6. *spoiler* 7. *spoiler* 8. *spoiler*

I guess to see what else there is to love you'll have to read. You'll love him, too! This book took me on a journey and introduced me to parts of the world I may never see but fell in love with. And the romance was a wonderful slow
Sophia Henry
Shelves: 2016, arc, favorites
I loved this book. Loved it. Beautiful writing with warmth and wit. Complex, likable characters. Heger's debut rocked my world.

This book hooked me from the blurb and kept me going until the last page. I love the fresh setting of the story and the dynamic, diverse characters. The setting is so beautifully written that I felt like I’d been to Nicaragua (I have not.) It’s rich and authentic from the scenery to the people.

Heger is one of the wittiest writers I’ve read. Her humor is sharp and fun an
Jamie
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**I received an advance review copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest review.**

Annie London's got her heart set on attending medical school at Brown. The only problem? Her MCAT scores aren't as sparkling as she needs them to be, and her last chance to boost her resume is by taking a month-long trek through the Nicaraguan rainforest handing out mosquito nets and teaching sex-ed classes. Except no amount of notecards, bug spray, or even a fuzzy uterus is going to be able to help her
Kate Mary
Shelves: new-adult, steamy
I've been looking forward to reading Without Borders for a while now. There's a lot of repetition going on in new adult, and the premise of Amanda Heger's debut novel really interested me. And let me tell you, I was not disappointed.

Annie heads off to a remote area in Central America to pad her medical school application, hoping it will get her accepted to the school of her dreams. She knew she'd be roughing it, but she didn't know how much she'd learn, or that she'd meet the man of her dreams.
Autumn
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-2016
Annie London has agreed to spend a whole month in Nicaragua with her childhood best friend. They will be leading a brigade of doctors through the jungles to bring medical care to villagers in desperate need of care.

But Annie has an agenda of her own. She needs a letter of recommendation to get into a prestigious medical school to fulfill her own dreams of becoming a doctor and this trip is the perfect way to obtain it.

So she’s going to have to forego all of the comforts of civilization and open
Keith
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ARC kindly provided by the author/publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Actual Rating: 4.5

Without Borders by Amanda Heger was a fun read. Its premise is unique compared to other novels that belong to the same genre; a nice twist to the mundane road trip trope, I'd say.

The lead heroine, Annie is a pre-med student who dreams of getting into Brown University’s medical program. Throughout the novel, Annie proved to be a strong female lead; although her growth as a character wa
bookslovegina
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was not only a journey into the rainforests of Nicaragua but into the heart and soul. I loved this book so much and never wanted it to end. I found myself laughing and smiling a lot of the time. There is such humor in Heger’s writing that I felt like all of these characters were my friends or at least I wanted them to be my friends.

What I also loved about this book was the medical procedures that were described. I don’t want to spoil too much, but the delivery of a baby in a village is
Emmy
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I did not like Annie. I did not think she was well characterized and I did. not. get. her. She was contradictory and TSTL.

Beyond that this book just wasn't for me I guess. I do not enjoy embarrassing stories and that's all that happens to Annie in the first half. Within a few pages Annie arrives in Nicaragua, her luggage strewn everywhere, and Felipe returns her underwear and buys her a drink and she comes on to him not realizing who he is. She vomits on him, accidentally tasers him, gets bit b
Maye
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I went into this not knowing anything aside from the fact that it's set in Central America, which means it'll tick off another prompt in my #diversitybingo sheet.

And gosh, it was so adorable. I've never read a book with medical missions in it so this book really took me by surprised! The writing was great, the author successfully transported me in the rain forest of Nicaragua. The romance was so cute, I cant!!! Felipe is such a great male lead, he's very different from the brooding bad boy chara
Meredith Tate
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

What do you get when you mix a lush rainforest setting, a hot Nicaraguan doctor, plenty of awkward situations, and throw in a few dick jokes? This amazing debut romance by Amanda Heger.

Annie London's plans for spending a month traveling through Nicaragua in a medical brigade included seeing her best friend Marisol, improving her medical knowledge, and getting a stellar recommendation letter for med school; however, she
Samantha
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How do I love this book? Let me count the ways...

Without Borders is one of those beautiful books that stays with you long after you're finished. Amanda Heger's writing is beautiful and lyrical, but not in a way that detracts from the story. She has a real talent for words. I found myself drooling over certain sentences and phrases.

Annie is hoping that by visiting Central America and working with the doctors tending to the people there, she might land herself a recommendation to a great medical s
Marie
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
***An ARC of WITHOUT BORDERS was graciously provided by the author and publisher in exchange for an honest review.***

WITHOUT BORDERS was on my Most Anticipated Books of 2016 list and let me tell you, it did not disappoint! Amanda Heger's debut is a gift to readers: a unique voice, compelling story, and a budding romance set against the backdrop of the Central American jungle.

Annie London is a smart, flawed young woman, trying her best to get into a good med school, despite some poor MCAT scores
Kami
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg I loved this I received this as an ARC for a honest review. I got so involved in the book while I was making dinner that I burnt spaghetti noodles. yeah I am that awesome. It was an amazing read.
Janeene
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
What a great way for my friend Amanda to join the world of published authors. A fun romantic read - look forward to the 2nd in the series :)
Rê
description

4 "Life as it is in Third World countries" Stars

ARC via NetGalley

Thank you, Diversion Publishing!

As a resident of a Third World country with a history of poverty and violence, I was pleasantly surprised at how the author (an American who spent a summer in Central America) portrayed the rough side of Nicaragua and the problems of its people in a believable way. Not an easy task for someone who wasn’t born or raised in a place like that.

Before we jump into this review, let me clarify something. W
Ramya
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity-bingo
This was just what I needed while recovering (still) from an almost 5 month reading slump. It was cute and sweet, while also dealing with real problems and exposing the audience to a setting that was probably new to many, and I'm excited to read more of my diversity bingo picks as this turned out to be a great one!
Michelle
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult
Without Borders is aptly named, because it's a romance novel that soars beyond conventions.

The setup is one many twenty-somethings will recognize: young girl goes to volunteer in a developing country and gets her mind blown by the big, complicated world. But in this book she's paired with Felipe, the superhot Nicaraguan doctor who has a love/hate relationship with American voluntourists. He knows his foundation needs them to survive, but he also thinks they're condescending and frequently deadw
Sandra
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a lovely book. Without Borders takes the reader deep into the rain forest of Nicaragua, where old prejudices are challenged and eyes are opened. We meet Annie London, an American pre-med student, who signs up for a month on a medical team run by old friends. Felipe Gutierrez remembers his old crush as a typical American girl, resenting having to take her, on any privileged American, out into the jungle.

From first page to last, this book was like a bath of warm water, flowing over me with it
Kim
Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads.

Discovering books to love by new-to-me authors is one of my favorite parts about reading and blogging. If I hadn't fallen in love with the cover of Semi-Scripted on NetGalley, I might've never picked this book up. That would've been a huge shame, too. Thankfully that didn't happen and I'm happy I decided to buy and read the first book before jumping into that one. I wouldn't have wanted to miss this experience.

I'm not a world-traveler. Part of m
Samantha Bilodeau
Very fresh story with a great dose of reality. The setting of the Nicaraguan jungles felt so very real, I wasn't at all surprised to learn Amanda Heger had been on a brigade to Nicaragua herself. The descriptions are vivid and so very well written that you really become immersed in the world and culture of the story.

This will likely sound odd to say, but I kept finding myself reading with a Latin American/Spanish accent (this was likely helped by the fact that my brother-in-law is from Venezuela
Ashley
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, romance
*** I received a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.***

Let me start by saying, I did not instantly fall in love with this story. For me it started off a little slow, and there was a point where I contemplated giving it the DNF. Side note, I try to stick with a story and see it through, especially when an author has entrusted me with a complimentary copy of their hardwork. All of that said, somewhere around the 25% mark, I really started to to love this story. I came to care about
Pat
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
***Received ARC from publisher via NetGalley***

Rating: 4 stars

Lost and heartbroken over a recent failed relationship, aspiring medical student, Annie London, takes a trip to Nicaragua on a medical brigade for an experience of a lifetime. Though she tries to convince herself this opportunity is simply to beef up her application to her dream school, Brown University, there's no denying her growing interest in the doctor in charge of the trip and her best friend's older brother, Dr. Felipe Gutierre
Julie
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

This is one of the better New Adult books I've read lately. I think this is because it doesn't rely solely on the relationship of Annie and Felipe to carry the story but on the things that happen while on the trip. It was more a story of a traveling medical clinic where two people fall in love than a romance that takes place during a trip, if that makes sense.

I really enjoyed reading about the experiences the group had as they trav
D.M.
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This gave an Insight to a place many people will never have the chance to visit themselves (me included).

Annie is intending to spend a month in the American rainforest where she will be getting some experience in health care. The rainforest isn't like helping out in a medical clinic it is so much more. It has culture and dangers unknown to developed countries.
She is spending the tour educating the locals in sex ed and giving medical aid. She will be with her best friend and her older brother.
Katharine
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The story of Annie and Felipe felt a little out of my normal New Adult comfort zone but I'm so glad I tried it. Both characters developed and grew on me as the story went on, and I loved the gentle romance of their story.

What I possibly enjoyed the most about this book though was the adventure that we were taken on as the characters travelled through Nicaragua, and the beautiful descriptions of the people and places they met along the way. I felt that the day to day details given of what happen
Kelley
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It’s been a while since I’ve done a Read and Review and I am so glad I got in on this one because it was just what I needed.

This book isn’t your typical “College Student in a Foreign Country” book. The plot is solid, the characters are funny, the banter is funnier and the connection between Annie and Felipe was perfect.

I always feel bad saying, “What everyone else said!” but it’s true! I’d just be repeating what everyone has written here. So I’ll say this: it’s worth the purchase, worth the rea
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
New Adult Book Club: #51/16 ~ Without Borders by Amanda Heger 36 64 Jun 06, 2016 01:00PM
  • The Turning Point
  • With Every Breath (Wanderlust #1)
  • I Do (If Only..., #3)
  • French Kissed (International School, #3)
  • Come What May (All Saints, #1)
  • Everly After
  • A Scot Like You (MacLarens of Balmorie, #2)
  • Out of Frame (In Focus #3)
  • Bonnie of Evidence (Passport to Peril, #8)
  • From Italy With Love
  • Spanish Lessons (Study Abroad, #1)
  • Out on Good Behavior (Radleigh University, #3)
  • Love of the Game (Stardust, Texas, #3)
  • Murder (Mayhem, #2)
Amanda Heger is a writer, attorney, and bookworm. She lives in the Midwest with two unruly rescue dogs and a husband who encourages her delusions of grandeur. She's also certain that Amy Poehler is her soulmate, and one of her life goals is to adopt a pig and name it Ron Swineson.

Sign up for her newsletter here: http://eepurl.com/bM_XXf

Wanderlove (2 books)
  • Semi-Scripted (Wanderlove, #2)
“Felipe focused on the smattering of freckles across her bare left shoulder. For the next hour, he counted each of them out of the corner of his eye--an entire universe's worth. Lost in the constellations, he barely noticed the lurch of the small plane.” 1 likes
“Yes, look at him," Marisol said. "Sleeping in a hammock, waking before the sunrise to take care of poor people. He is so terrible.” 1 likes