Start by marking “Pitfall” as Want to Read:
Pitfall

Pitfall

Life has never been easy for former Army Ranger John Brenner. The wounded Iraqi war vet and ex-cop must rely on his wits, his fists, and a wry sense of gallows humor to make it through each challenging day. For at his core, this transplanted West Virginian is a throwback to an antebellum time: he is a southern man of honor.

But his latest mission may be his last.

The task
Published July 29th 2015 by Wildblue Press (first published July 25th 2015)

Eric_W
Oct 03, 2015 Eric_W rated it did not like it
There seems to be a formula used by thriller writers today that I find a bit tiresome, especially as it is so formulaic. It’s where the writer leads off with a prolog or foreword or chapter that places the protagonist in the midst of some huge firefight or conflict or calamity from which it looks impossible to extricate himself. At the end we are left hanging to discover what will happen to someone we don’t know and frankly probably don’t care about. This is followed by the backstory that leads ...more
Lori
I won't review this because I'm working on this title with its publisher Wildblue Press. If you dig badass protagonists with a great sense of humor, you'll get a kick out of this book. Police and military thrillers are not my typical cup of tea but I had a lot of fun with this one.
Vicky Carruth
Jul 29, 2015 Vicky Carruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly Recommend

This was my 1st book that I've read by Author Cameron Bane, and hopefully it won't be my last. Lots of mystery and adventure. Since you get a pretty good description of a book when you are thinking about getting it, and I don't like reviews that tell the whole story, I won't give much away here!
The story is lively, and puts P. I. John Brenner in some sticky and dangerous predicaments as he is searching for a missing girl. The author made the book flow in an easy to read style
Nancy Segovia
Sep 21, 2015 Nancy Segovia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing I hate more than waiting in airports, sitting for hours in those very uncomfortable chairs waiting for planes that are usually delayed. So what has that got to do with Pitfall, well with this book you won't mind the wait. In fact, the page turning action will keep you so engrossed that you just might miss your boarding announcement.

The action starts in Pitfall in the very first paragraph on the first page, and never lets up. There is a tiny bit of a lull about a third of the way
Jill
Sep 03, 2015 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just . . . wow. Fast action, intrigue, mystery--and some gut-wrenching suspense. All narrated by a tough former Ranger with a quick wit, hard fists, and a good heart. I enjoyed the entire book, but once I hit the mid-point I could hardly put it down. I'm ready for the sequel.
Recommended for readers of suspense who don't mind a dose of blood and gore along with the high action.
Nancy
Sep 28, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
It is a fast paced story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. You'll like the good guys and hate the bad ones. Has some intense action (and some detailed torture techniques), but the story moves along so fast that it doesn't become overwhelming. Don't want to ruin it, but I am looking forward to the next book.
Benoit Lelièvre
This book wasn't a very pleasant experience for me and I will try to explain the reasons without sounding like an entitled literary egghead. It will probably fail, but I feel like I have to speak my mind about this.

The main issue I find that undermines this book is the choice of a first person narration. In theory, the idea of a wisecracking action hero is very seductive, but it doesn't work in PITFALL because it clashes with the tone of the story. John Brenner takes on very serious threats with
Patricia
Sep 14, 2015 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I started reading this book at the drs. office and got so entranced in the book , that I almost missed my name being called . I so got sucked into pages from the first chapter. Let me introduce you to Jack Brenner a retired army ranger and ex cop. He has had a very hard life and most of all he is a southern gentleman . He takes a case that was suppose to be easy but when is anything ever easy . He is confronted with an evil that reaches high and face to face with a ruthless killer named BONELES
Delores
Jan 13, 2016 Delores rated it really liked it
I won a free copy of Pitfall in a goodreads contest. I enjoyed the book and meeting John Brenner. He reminds me a bit of one of my favorite fictional characters - Jack Reacher. Brenner is a true man of honor. He takes on the task of finding the missing teenage daughter of a rich man. No spoilers here, but he will find this task a true challenge. I had not read anything by this author, Cameron Bane, but would read more adventures of John Brenner. I recommend this book to readers who like unique c ...more
cisco pike
Average thriller with rough edges

I read this one all the way through, it certainly had its moments. Overall it was poorly edited and too much gas and not enough brake. I was rooting for Brenner until about halfway through when I realized he was immortal. That is when I lost interest. Book should have ended before tge last two chapters were slapped on.

Linda
Sep 24, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting

I enjoyed this book. Hated having to put down. The nature of the book is unsetteling. It make you wonder if this kind of thing really happens in this world. But the story was riveting and I liked reading it. Is sounds like another book will follow it. Keeps you on the edge of your seat.
chelepissbcglobal.net
FABULOUS. FABULOUS. FABULOUS.

What a great book. This was like a never-ending roller coaster ride. With every page and every chapter the pace kept increasing until the exciting and mind blowing conclusion. I highly recommend this book.
Sluserfive
Test

Fg ghb va vh vh vh. B. B. B. Vh cbch vh chan vh bb vh. Vh cb cb cb cb v
Bill Willems
Jul 24, 2016 Bill Willems rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Very engaging writing style. Great character development. Action packed and hard to put down. Glad I picked it up to take on vacation.
Rich Maloy
Jul 17, 2016 Rich Maloy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story!

With a strong lead character who refuses to give in to the bad guys and makes you wish you were more him. Looking to read more of John Brennan's adventures!
Dragonpoetikfly Poetry
Dragonpoetikfly Poetry rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2017
Henry Sell
Henry Sell rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2016
Cassandra Hecate
Cassandra Hecate rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Lydia  Lee
Lydia Lee rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Cameron
Cameron rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2015
Steve Jackson
Steve Jackson rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
stephanie dimisa
stephanie dimisa rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
J Dirk Bremer
J Dirk Bremer rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Erin Berlie
Erin Berlie rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Maureen Price
Maureen Price rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
cordell Poldberg
cordell Poldberg rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2016
John Mabery
John Mabery rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Clint McGinnis
Clint McGinnis rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2016
karen griner
karen griner rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Jessica Allen
May 30, 2016 Jessica Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author is superb. Really good book. Recommend.
  • Condominium
  • Famous Drownings in Literary History: Essays on 21st-Century Jewishness
  • História, História: Two Years in the Cape Verde Islands
  • The Abortionist's Daughter: A Novel
  • Thursday 1:17 p.m.
  • [SIC]
  • The Big Goodbye
  • Pennies from Burger Heaven (Burger Heaven Series, #1)
  • Starship Grifters
  • F250
  • Road to Nowhere
  • Fill the Grand Canyon and Live Forever
  • Sudden Threat (Threat, #1)
  • Soft Case: A John Keegan Mystery
  • Hard Fall (A Thomas Blume Thriller, #1)
  • Isolation
  • Mind If I Come In (Kat Parker #1)
  • No Justice (Michael Sykora #1)

“some food for thought, if you’re able to digest it. I believe you’re completely out of ammunition and have been for the last few minutes. Am I right?” He waited for an answer he wouldn’t get. “No matter. The only reason I haven’t rushed you, or had one of my men roll a hand grenade your way is because you have something of mine. I wish it back unharmed.” He meant the data disk I’d stolen; he didn’t know I’d already hidden it. “So let’s take a moment to pause in this fracas for some itemization. First, you’re bleeding. I should know; I inflicted your wounds. Plus you’re afraid. And who wouldn’t be in your position? Finally, you and I” 0 likes