Start by marking “The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)

The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan #2)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  3,591 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
It has been sixteen years since the Day of Reckoning, when magic and witchcraft were outlawed throughout all of Eileanan. And though rumors say that she is dead, the Arch-Sorceress Meghan o' the Beasts still lives. Traveling with her are the true heir to the throne, and the red-haired warrior Iseult. Their fates are woven together in a quest to bring magic back to the land
Published March 1st 1999 by Roc (first published 1998)

Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I felt Isabeau (which is way to weird of a name. Isa-boo? Just call her Elizabeth jeez) lost all of her spark. Her spirit was weak, her hand chopped up, her magic non-existance... Granted the magic rituals performed by Meghan and the celestines were nice inserts, I disliked the lack of magic and the over-abundence of politics. Hate politics, hate um. Nasty bits in books I try to skip over. I will make space for them when evenly placed between magic scenes but this was pushing my
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
The second in the series and just as good as the first. The story moves at a good pace and there are some delightful characters introduced along the way. The author trusts that the reader has the common sense to read the first book before starting this one and does not waste time with boring explanations of what has gone on before. She also ties up the story nicely at the end of this book and yet still leaves the way open for plenty of adventures in the next one. I will definitely continue on.
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This book carried on the story brilliantly well. I actually think it was better than the first book, which bodes well for the rest of the series.
I've decided to do a proper review after I've read all 6 books , hopefully by the end of the year. :)
Jan 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Meghan of the beasts knows the time is near. By the pool of the Two Moons in the ancient city of Lucescere the future of the witches of Eileanan will be decided. Our heroes have to travel there to try to solve the issues and to make a future happen.

It's a long read, but I can see that it's going places and I want to know more. Honestly I prefer some of her newer stuff.
Dec 17, 2015 marked it as dropped
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it! I can't wait to learn more about the League of the Healing Hand, and Iseult and Isabeau's adventures before the events on Rhiannon's Ride.
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Witches of Eileanan series. I read the first couple hundred pages of this book and then stopped. I just could not get into this book. There are so many characters and so much jumping around that I started to keep notes on who was who and who was involved with what.

The above coupled with the phonetically spelled out speech was driving me nuts. I loved the first book and the world it built, but this book just jumps around between too many characters. Additionally th
Kelley Ceccato
Nicole Field
This book reminded me of why I don't tend to like a lot of fantasy. WAY too many characters.

And yet, for all that, I kind of liked the way they all fell in together at the end. And also the way that more than one of them were the bad guy, giving the reader the idea that, if we do definitely beat down one bad guy, we're still going to have another one to deal with, giving time for the first bad guy to regroup. Ahh, fantasy series are never meant to be easy.

The main people this novel followed wer
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on Under The Rafters on the 25th August 2012.

The second installment to one of my all time favourite series, The Witches Of Eileanan, is The Pool Of Two Moons.

Not yet having won back the land from the evil Banrigh, the witches and the rebels continue gathering numbers and strength so that they can eventually gain what was theirs. Rumours of a prophecy predicting the emerging of a winged man who is the rightful Righ (King) and who will raise the magical lodestar are spreading thr
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I can't believe i never discovered this series before now.. one of the best series i have read!!
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-copy, fantasy
It rarely happens that I find the sequel better than the first part, but voilá: here's one of them!
There's a lot more action going on in this book and it's fast paced as well. I could also really appreciate the lack of explanations referring to the first book. It seems as if the author just assumed you read it first...which was great! Especially compared to some series where it's just pages of repetitive scenes to make the new reader catch up with things.

There were only 3 things which slightly
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own
Megan, Iseult, and Bacaiche the Winged journey to unite the resistance and retrieve the remaining pieces of the key, broken and hidden, pivotal in the battle to come. Meanwhile, Isabeau hides in plain sight, waiting for Megan's return.

At the end of 'The Witches of Eileanan', I was disappointed it ended without a definitive resolution. Happily, 'The Pool of Two Moons' provides the awaited and thrilling conclusion. I feel the two books are better thought of as a single unit. The plot is a creative
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016, 3-stars
I've read the first book in this series, The Witches of Eileanan, and now this one. My main issue with the story so far isn't that there are too many characters (that's pretty much a given for a plot like this), but that the way their storylines are brought together feels a bit chaotic and choppy. And that's not because of the nature of the story, but more due to the writing — in my opinion, it just didn't flow well in this second installment.

That being said, the story's quite interesting, and
Shari  Mulluane
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book almost completely changes focus, with the spotlight on Iseult and Lachlan. We also get glimpses of the ever-growing rebel forces and Isabeau does play a part, just not one that gets as much page time. The good thing about this is we have the already well-created characters that were showcased in book one, and now we get to see new characters developed. This eliminates the normal second book blues. If anything, this book was better.

My review is here:
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards
Vickey Foggin
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The rebels and witches in exile move closer to reclaiming their land and putting the lost prince back on the throne. If anything this is more chaotic than the first book with even more disjointed jump cuts. I'm may just be getting used to the invasive dialect or it is less ridiculous than in the first book. I am a little disappointed that the badass fighting girl Iseult has mainly been limited to being a sappy girlfriend inexplicably in love with a guy who is kind of a dick. Really enjoying read ...more
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Still very Scottish. I found this book very difficult to get into since it had been two months since I read the first one. After a confusing number of chapters, I finally started to recall events from the first book, and the story grabbed me. I enjoyed it, and the chapters were a little long, but the plot twists and development mostly kept me guessing. There were a number of cliches, and the resolution felt a little rushed, but I'm looking forward to the next book.
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very complex book with a heap of characters to get your head around. The plot moves along at a fast pace with many of the main characters having their own story. It was an enjoyable read and at times I couldnt put it down. The only area I struggled with was remembering who was who as most peoples names were unusual and lengthy so I often couldnt pronounce them and then found myself forgetting who was who.
Am looking forward to the next in the series.
Feb 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
At 557 pages, this is definitely not a short quick read! The continuing story of Isabeau and Iseult was just as thrilling in volume 2 of the series as in volume 1. Our heroes (all of them) go through trials and must find ways around obstacles they never imagined. The pace of the story is even and continues throughout. I was interested the whole way and am quite satisfied with this ending. Much more is promised in volume 3.

(will send to Wendy soon)
Kristen McQuinn
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A continuation of Forsyth's Witches of Eileanan series. It picks up exactly where the previous one left off, which I like.

Eileanan is a finely crafted world. The characters are well developed and the action is fun. I sometimes got a little tired of the long focuses on one character. It's just personal preference, but I tend to prefer where the chapters trade off on which character they focus on. But overall, a fun read.
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
It has been 16 years since the witches have been hiding and now the time had come to recover that which was hidden all those years ago. The true heir and his mate must storm the castle and take the throne back from the evil ensorcellor before his brother dies and her infant is made heir. This story is very suspenseful and intiguing, a very good read.
Amanda Botten
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
The second book of this wonderful series is just as good as the first. However, there is more romance in this book but don't think that slows down the action going around. It is still filled with adventure and fantasy which compels you to read more, and once you finish this book you head staright the the third edition.
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Finally! After starting the series three times with The Witches of Eileanan I moved onto book 2!

I still would like a map but I enjoy this series. A lot more happened in the book than I was expecting so I am interested to see where it will go from here.
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story came so far, yet I can tell there will be so much farther to go. I liked this installment a lot. Characters are growing, defining themselves, we're learning more about their history and this world I am now entrenched in. Fantastic read.
Jul 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-books-2015
The same characters, with some new and interesting characters thrown into the mix. The plot thickens, and is probably more exciting than the first novel. I usually find second novels in fantasy series are a bit of a let down, but this certainly wasn't.
Feb 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An improvement over the first book. The book starts slowly, but picks up towards the latter half. There are also better breaks in the story, making it easier to follow all the many characters. Not the best fantasy series, but definitely worth the time.
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-fantasy
I think this book was much improved from the first one in terms of plot clarity and ease of following the character's narratives. the plot was amazing as always and I really enjoyed the Lachlan/Iseult stuff because they're perfect.
Lauren Ferguson
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was concerned after the first book that there hadn't been enough in the plot to drag it on. well I've finished the second book now and I was pleasantly surprised. Already started the next one, they're so easy to get lost in :)
Elspeth LaMorte
I rather adore this and wish I had the next book on hand to start immediately.
Shannon Ewing
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blessing-of-13, 2014
pretty good sequel to the first book. quite a few more in this series. I've gotten used to the dialogue. happy I stuck with it.
  • Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #2)
  • The House of Gaian (Tir Alainn, #3)
  • Betrayal (Trinity, #1)
  • The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)
  • Druid's Sword (The Troy Game, #4)
  • The Sea Lark's Song
  • The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4)
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
Kate Forsyth wrote her first novel at the age of seven, and is now the internationally bestselling author of 40 books for both adults and children.

Her books for adults include 'Beauty in Thorns', the true love story behind a famous painting of 'Sleeping Beauty'; 'The Beast's Garden', a retelling of the Grimm version of 'Beauty & the Beast', set in the German underground resistance to Hitler i
More about Kate Forsyth...

The Witches of Eileanan (6 books)
  • The Witches of Eileanan (The Witches of Eileanan, #1)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, #4)
  • The Skull of the World (The Witches of Eileanan, #5)
  • The Fathomless Caves (The Witches of Eileanan, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
  • The Gods Themselves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Camber of Culdi (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • The Grand Tour: or The Purloined Coronation Regalia (Cecilia and Kate, #2)
  • Slippage: Previously Uncollected, Precariously Poised Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion