Start by marking “Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics” as Want to Read:
Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics

Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics

Are you getting the most out of your website? Google insider and web metrics expert Brian Clifton reveals the information you need to get a true picture of your site's impact and stay competitive using Google Analytics (GA) and the latest web metrics methodologies. Which marketing campaigns work best? How do you quantify their success? What indicators should you track? Pac ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Sybex (first published January 1st 2008)

Brian Clifton
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
As the author of this series of books, I am requesting you do NOT purchase it...

Why?

Published in 2012, my book is a technical "bible" about Google Analytics. Highly regarded at the time, it is now however very out of date -the difficulty of writing about internet technologies! Essentially, I do not feel comfortable with people still purchasing it from Amazon et al... I have requested the publisher (Wiley/Sybex) withdraws it from sale. If fact, I am surprised to find it still for sale.

Tip: for a
Cameron
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Who wouldn't want to read this book? Okay, well, since I know that no one will ever read this review, I would like to point out that this is the best book on Google Analytics I have read. I think it's also the only one. I will conclude this incoherent review by pointing out that if you are actually still reading this, you are also somewhat pathetic. But not as pathetic as I am :)
Debra Oyler
Dec 09, 2009 is currently reading it
Very interesting so far and a little scary, Google has so much influence but seem to value engineering and objective data over anything else, equating popularity (number of hits) with value(of information). And then there are those pesky "overlooked " copyright issues....
Joe Tippetts
Nov 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you're interested in website analytics (specifically Google Analytics), this is a great foundation book. It teaches you how to measure every aspect of your website so you know how to optimize it for whatever goals you have.
سارة
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
recommended for people trying to make it in online marketing
Brian Clifton
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: work
I am the author so I am bias...! I wanted to post some further info on what the book aims to achieve and who is is aimed at. The following text is for the second edition.

[ The companion website is www.advanced-web-metrics.com :]

What You Will Learn From This Book

You will learn how to implement and use Google Analytics in a best-practice way. I deliberately emphasize the word use because this is the primary purpose of this book. That is, you will learn how to leverage Google Analytics to optimize
John Orman
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This tome tells all about using Google Analytics to improve your website, your brand, and your bottom line.
This 2012 edition includes social media, visitors, flow, and multi-channel funnels.
Clifton shows Webmasters how to obtain metrics on their websites--daily visitors, average registration/purchase rate, average visit time, geographic distribution of visitors, and many more statistics.
Quite a fascinating read with quite a few complicated tables and graphs, but without much mathematics or equat
Liz
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published in 2012 and it is ALREADY out dated. :( That is web analytic though. There is however a LOT of really great basic information here that is still very relevant. I like that he discusses not jut reporting, but proper coding and set up which is critical for good reporting.

It was a great refresher as I start to build out a new web analytics dashboard. I agree with the author that for reporting out, you ha to have a dashboard outside of you analytics platform to share with marketing and upp
Tai
Mar 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
completely outdated. most of the names for things have changed in google analytics, which makes this very confusing. this book was published in 2012 so it refers to classic analytics rather than the new universal analytics. that means all the code in the book is no longer relevant either. its basically just a slightly expanded version of the google analytics help website in book format, so you may as well read the documentation online and not confuse yourself with outdated names, techniques, and ...more
David
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I should caveat this rating by saying those 4 stars are for the book when read back in 2009-2010. Since that time, the changes in GA have rendered much of this book null and / or incomplete.

That said, there are still great nuggets of information to be gained and Brian Clifton provides lots of useful tips for those getting started with web analytics. I can't speak to later editions (this was the first or second edition) of the book but hopefully its been updated accordingly.
Randy
Aug 15, 2012 added it
A couple parts of chapter 11 are already out of date, but the new information can be found online. Things just evolve so fast in the Internet world.

I think I'm prepared for the certification test now, but I've already been applying what I've learned.

Christopher San Filippo
This was not a bad analytics book. It covered a lot of basic Google Analytics information. I wish it would have provided more case studies for using the advanced features. The part that I found most useful was the goal and event tracking section.
Robert
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very helpful book, but a generation out of date. Does not cover universal analytics or the new user ID collection but is a great foundation as long as you know this. I'll buy the next edition when/if it becomes available.
Marcus Österberg
A bit outdated now, but has good parts still.
Kama
It helped get me certified in Google Analytics. However, with the changes Google has made, the book is going to need an update. Now.
Jano Suchal
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review in Slovak http://j.mp/YsmYjT
Julia Serafina
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
A comprehensive overview of how to set up, customise and get the most out of Google Analytic's including best use for the 100 plus reports that can be generated for measurement purposes.
Cristina Miclaus
Great way to advance your way of usig Google Analytics. Very usefull. I borowed it to read, but I would like to buy it now.
Matej Latin
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm currently reading the 3rd edition. So far so good.
Don Richards
Oct 05, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
It is interesting. Very informative.
David Cancel
Nov 05, 2012

• Web Analytics: An Hour a Day
  • Always Be Testing: The Complete Guide to Google Website Optimizer
  • The Art of SEO: Mastering Search Engine Optimization
  • Landing Page Optimization: The Definitive Guide to Testing and Tuning for Conversions
  • Advanced Google AdWords
  • Search Engine Optimization: An Hour a Day
  • Search Analytics for Your Site: Conversations with Your Customers
  • Ultimate Guide to Google AdWords: How to Access 100 Million People in 10 Minutes
  • Optimize: How to Attract and Engage More Customers by Integrating SEO, Social Media, and Content Marketing
  • Convert!: Designing Web Sites to Increase Traffic and Conversion
  • Prioritizing Web Usability
  • Social Media Roi: Managing and Measuring Social Media Efforts in Your Organization
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • No Bullshit Social Media: The All-Business, No-Hype Guide to Social Media Marketing
  • Beautiful Visualization: Looking at Data through the Eyes of Experts
  • The Yahoo! Style Guide: The Ultimate Sourcebook for Writing, Editing, and Creating Content for the Digital World
  • Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »