Start by marking “Principles of Quantum Mechanics” as Want to Read:
Principles of Quantum Mechanics

Principles of Quantum Mechanics

Reviews from the First Edition:

"An excellent text ... The postulates of quantum mechanics and the mathematical underpinnings are discussed in a clear, succinct manner." (American Scientist)

"No matter how gently one introduces students to the concept of Dirac's bras and kets, many are turned off. Shankar attacks the problem head-on in the first chapter, and in a very inform
Published September 1st 2005 by Springer (first published December 31st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Principles of Quantum Mechanics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Principles of Quantum Mechanics

Start your review of Principles of Quantum Mechanics
G.R. Reader
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To A Certain Pop Science Writer (He Knows Who He Is) Who Should Have More Sense

If you haven't read Shankar
You're really just a wankar
DJ
May 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Those who follow the pack waste days wrinkling their foreheads at the long, winding, historical path through quantum mechanics that David Griffiths leads his unsuspecting followers on. Those who know better skip the foreplay and face the glorious intellectual burden that are the axioms of quantum mechanics in just the second chapter of Shankar.

Shankar's introductory chapter on the mathematics of quantum theory is the best out there. It was my saving grace after getting bogged down in a quantum i
Chris
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Hands down the best textbook I have ever read. Even though it is aimed at higher level students, I found Shankar much easier and more rewarding to follow than Griffith's Introduction To Quantum Mechanics. Each page follows very logically from the last, which to me is very important.

If you have taken basic courses in linear algebra, Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics and boundary value problems than look no further. Perfect for self study!
Adam Lantos
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Quick Review:
A pedagogical masterpiece.
The author deals with many subtleties, the presentation shines with clarity, the material is wisely chosen and have broad coverage, the physics is always very well-motivated, it is suited for self-study and the exercises are carefully chosen so as to teach something new to the reader. Some exercises teach the reader stuff that are rarely found in popular textbooks.

Detailed Review:
I was impressed from how clear and well-motivated everything is in this textbo
James Lyon
Mar 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shankar has an interesting way of approach the teaching of Quantum Mechanics. He clumps all the math needed to appreciate the quantum theory at the beginning: mostly linear algebra. If you can solidly understand the first chapter, it's downhill from there.
Jeffrey Sung
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing textbook. Hard at first for the novice, but upon re-read afterwards, it becomes clear just how great it is.
Simona
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
math intro is comprehensive, concise and very helpful. the first half of the text (which I have read) is very well written - step by step derivations and explanations of the main features of QM. a good alternate text.
Aldous Mercer
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was looking for some specific information earlier today, and Google failed me. Then I decided to dust off this undergrad textbook, and voila, it was right there.

The best QM textbook evar. Spend the money if you need this data on a regular basis.
Fred
Sep 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: seekers
Shelves: thinking-again
One of the best books I ever read on this subject. Very clear and easy to follow.
Alexander Temerev
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s hard to say I have “read” this book — I have skimmed it to the end and did a few exercises. However, it is really comprehensive and provides enough learning material for months.
Aiden O'Reilly
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book, very clear and easy to follow. Don't be impatient, the beginning chapter on the <Φ|Ψ> linear algebra is essential.
A pleasure to work through.
Gopal Iyer
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One year of graduate-level quantum mechanics. This book is deep and extensive and builds ideas rigourously from the ground up. Every now and then, Shankar does tend to describe derivations verbally rather than mathematically, but it's a 600-page book, so this can be excused. I did have to supplement it with Griffiths, especially in the second half (chapter 14 onwards); the trouble with Griffiths is that it is written in such a deceptively intuitive way that it's easy to think all of quantum mech ...more
You Ssef
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
200 pages in. This is shaping up to be the definitive QM book. I started with Griffiths but I was not satisfied because he doesn't spend enough time building the basics and formalisms you will need. Shankar literally jackhammers bra-ket notation into your head for 100-something pages before he even mentions the postulates. It also has a chapter dedicated to the path integral formulation at the end to set you up nicely for Quantum Field Theory.
Phillip Levin
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic explanation of quantum mechanics, readable at the undergraduate level if you are willing to put in the time and work. Highly detailed, lots of information, well-explained, and even touches on relevant philosophical aspects that some computation-heavy teachers are either afraid to consider or don't care about.
Anish Kumar
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
YOU HAVE TO READ SHANKAR!

The best introductory text for undergraduate Quantum Mechanics. All the maths required is (nearly ) covered in first chapter and review of classical mechanics of is also there. Presentation is clear and concise in correct pedagogical manner.
нєνєℓ  ¢ανα
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quite an excellent text for learning Quantum Mechanics...
Saurav Kantha
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most clear physics textbooks I've ever read. I feel extremely fortunate to have chosen this book as my first on quantum mechanics.
Jovany Agathe
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Principles of Quantum Mechanics is an influential monograph on quantum mechanics written by Paul Dirac and first published by Oxford University Press in 1930. ... Dirac is credited with developing the subject "particularly in Cambridge and Göttingen between 1925–1927" (Farmelo).
Todd (theRealChainman) Chaney
The bible for Quantum Mechanics.
Joel Brumfield
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I'll never finish this but interesting.
Priyadarshi Paul
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book
Colin Boyle
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A must read. A fantastic, self contained intro to graduate level quantum mechanics.
Dustin
Jun 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Topics are explained clearly enough for an advanced undergraduate class but covers more than enough for a first semester grad class. Good to have on hand for reference/review durring quantum II.
dead letter office
Apr 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: texts
start with griffiths, but this is not a bad next step.
Skymeson Rolnick
I had to read this one for grad school. Not my favorite but not bad either. It does have some chapters that make it worth while.
Pedram
Dec 27, 2007 added it
i wanna start to read it!
Ben

• Course of Theoretical Physics: Vol. 1, Mechanics
  • Concepts in Thermal Physics
  • Concept Of Physics
  • Optics
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 2
  • Concepts of Physics (Part 1)
  • Why Evolution Is True
  • Solid State Physics

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Ramamurti Shankar (born April 28, 1947) is the John Randolph Huffman Professor of Physics at Yale University, in New Haven, Connecticut. His research is in theoretical condensed matter physics, although he is also known for his earlier work in theoretical particle physics. In 2009, Shankar was awarded the Julius Edgar Lilienfeld Prize from the American Physical Society for "innovative applications ...more

News & Interviews