Start by marking “Promise Lodge (Promise Lodge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Promise Lodge (Promise Lodge, #1)

Promise Lodge

(Promise Lodge #1)

It's a better life, a fresh start--and a heaven-sent second chance. Founded by three Amish sisters determined to put misfortune behind them, Promise Lodge is a colony where faith's abiding promise can be fulfilled--and love can make all things new…

Energetic widow Mattie Bender Schwartz is working day and night to get Promise Lodge going. She's also hoping the change will
Mass Market Paperback, 300 pages
Published February 23rd 2016 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Promise Lodge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promise Lodge

Start your review of Promise Lodge (Promise Lodge, #1)
Susan
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Promise Lodge

Charlotte Hubbard

Charlotte Hubbard takes her time introducing you to each of the characters and their problems and how they are feeling. I immediately felt as if I knew them all and was right there at the kitchen table hashing things out and praying. In no time, I was totally sucked in to their lives and the issues they were dealing with. The plot is very interesting and had me turning the pages late into the night. Be prepared not to do anything else once you start reading this
Lori
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
resented coming to Promise Lodge Charlotte Hubbard has really outdone herself on this one!!!!
I have laughed myself silly throughout this book and I sniffled some too.
The characters are so delightful!!
I think though that Deborah is my favorite and then Rosetta is next.
Deborah is innocent in all that happens to her. She only did what she thought was right since there was no one around.
I love her strength and determination to get through her trials and tribulations against the bishops son. She
Debbie
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Promise Lodge” is the first book in a new series by Charlotte Hubbard. I thought this book was as good as the books in the (Seasons of the Heart) seasons.

This isn't your normal Amish story as it deals with abuse ( an husband repeatedly hits and injures his wife and the bishop is okay with this). The women in this story are unlike the other Amish women I have read about in other Amish novels, these women are independent and don't behave like the bishop believes like they should. Oh, I should
Kristi
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been wanting to read a book by Charlotte Hubbard for forever it seems. I finally got the chance with her upcoming release Promise Lodge. The wait was well worth it. This book was sooooo good.

I liked the premise of this book. Three unmarried sisters who, along with Preacher Amos Troyer, set out to start a new Amish settlement. The sisters were unique to the Amish fiction genre as they were independent and determined. The sisters and their children were easy to like and so was Preacher
Tina Watson
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a bishop doesn't see past the end of his nose, what would you do, especially when you've been taught to respect the bishop like you respect God and your father?
Is leaving your Amish church community to start another a good idea?

Three sisters leave their Amish community to start another, along with their preacher. They buy and fix up a church campground to call home for themselves and for other Amish and Mennonite families looking for a change.

Will they face challenges? Will they have
Tina Watson
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When the bishop doesn't see past the end of his nose, what would you do, especially when you've been taught to respect the bishop like you respect God and your father?
Is leaving your Amish church community to start another a good idea?

Will they face challenges?
Will they have
Marilyn
Charlotte Hubbard has given readers another winsome book! Promise Lodge was formerly a church camp that the Bender sisters, Mattie, Rosetta, and Christine purchased. They left their former Amish community, Coldstream, due to their bishop's reaction to his son's behavior and the traumatic events that affected their lives. The Bender sisters are determined along with their faith and love to develop the land for their new community to draw others there. Their entire family joined them in this new ...more
Cathy Cermele
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying, I have been a fan of Charlotte Hubbard's books for several years. When I found out she was writing a new series I eagerly anticipated the first book.

Promise Lodge went far above my expectations. I could not stop reading it.

I didn't have a favorite character, I had several!
Rosetta, Mattie and Christine are the founders of the Amish colony and it was a joy to get to know them! They have such courage and conviction.

The dialogue is sharp and witty. There were parts of the
Mave
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Since I discovered Charlotte Hubbard look forward to each her new release. I really loved the series Seasons of the Heart and I was very curious to try this new series. A great debut and a heartwarming story, clean and wonderfully written as usual.
Mattie leaves her community, she wants to start another to get rid of male domination and to help her son Noah to overcome a big disappointment in love. Together with her sister Mattie tries to create a cozy retreat for women, single mothers and women
D.J.

I was thrilled when I received an advance copy of Promise Lodge in the mail…

Charlotte Hubbard is definitely one of my favorite Amish fiction authors! From the moment I begin reading, I’m pulled into the story — and whenever possible, I don’t stop reading until I’m done.

This story was no different. My heart went out to Mattie, Rosetta, Christine, and Deborah — as well as the others who moved to Promise Lodge.

Mattie, Rosetta, and Christine are the Bender sisters — sisters who are determined to
Cheryl
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited when I received a copy of this book for review. Charlotte Hubbard is one of my favorite Amish authors. This book is the beginning of a new series and had me captivated until the very end.

The new Amish Colony called Promise Lodge is a place for everyone to feel safe. The sisters who decided to go on this journey have made a wonderful decision. The characters in the book are very well thought out and all have strong backgrounds. I love the way that each person's story comes
Julie Zimmett
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books I did not want to put down, and I was so sad to see it end. Already excited for the next book in the series! The characters really felt like people I would like to know. It was quite admirable to see the community they were building to welcome other plain people to be a part of. And, the fact that even those initially opposed to their ventures seemed to soften after exploring Promise Lodge and seeing the "promise" of a loving community and prosperity for all who ...more
Cheryl Baranski
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Promise Lodge is the first in a brand new series for Charlotte Hubbard. Charlotte has written another book that is so captivating. Characters that will surely grab hold of you right from the start and not let go until the very end. So be sure to grab your glass of sweet tea as you enjoy this most wonderful book. A book that is full of faith, hope, second chances. Be sure to order your copy of Promise Lodge today. 5 stars.
Carly Ellen Kramer
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Promise Lodge is a fun book, with delicious recipes at the end! My complete review (along with a free book giveaway) can be found at https://crowdedearthkitchen.com/2016/....
Cyndi
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mary
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Characters you can't help but care for!
A different venue than your typical Amish novel, this story has plenty of drama as three older sisters team up to open a lodge and found a new Amish community. Their action could be viewed as rebellion but their hearts are sincere as they seek God's guidance and attempt to help those He brings their way. One such individual is Deborah, one of the sisters' son's former fiancee. The pains of the past and present compound the situation with more threats
Lynda
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
Loved this book

For me, a 5 book has characters I really liked. I want to know more about them. They draw me into their story.by his book does that.

I fuss when Amish books don't stay true to the Amish community. But I can see this new community starting for the reasons given. The characters are intriguing and real. The story lines work. If you want an entertaining story with great scenes and scenery plus people you will enjoy, five into this book. I predict you'll love it.
Jeanne
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What more can a person say but great writing! All of Charlotte's books are stories you can't put down. I am friends with her on Facebook and I am always telling her that my eyes are going to fall out from read her books. I get one and i forget about the rest of the world and read nonstop. her details and facts about the amish make you feel like you are right there, watching from the yard or the porch swing, or even the doorway to the barn. If you pick up one of her books you will want to read ...more
Gail
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful

Promise Lodge is a new endeavor by three Amish sister, 2 sons, and a Preacher of the Old Order Amish. They are hoping to start a new community at an old Summer camp. An unusual group with various problems and occupations join them at Promise Lodge. I found this to be very interesting story. I didn't want to put the book down.
Carolyn Vandine West
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great start to a new series. I can’t wait to read the rest of the series
This book focuses on Deborah and Noah. After Deborah seeing a barn burning and calls 9-1-1 she sets in motion quite a chain of events. This book opened a side of the Amish life I had never heard of being an issue. I loved this book and didn’t want it to end.
Diane
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you for gifting me this book to review. (I'm a bit remiss on reading it.) I liked the book and found Charlotte Hubbard's writing style easy to read. The characters were very well developed as was the story line. I was drawn to keep reading to find out what would happen next. I would recommend the book to others that like this genre.
Gail
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A new series by Charlotte Hubbard for me and I love it as much as the others! In fact I read #1 and #2 this week and will get #3 from the library soon. I hope there will be more of books in the series!
Carol
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this intro to the new series and I think I will try some of the recipes in the back.
Louise King
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun Amish romance
Sylvia
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! Great story!! Can't wait to read the next book in the series!! Haven't read much by this author will read more of her books!!
Pat
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Could not put this book down. C. Hubbard keeps things moving in Book 1 of series. Can't wait to read Book 2, Christmas at Promise Lodge.
Debbie Lester
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Charlotte Hubbard brings readers a story of faith and second chances in her new book, Promise Lodge. Christian Fiction readers who are looking for a book that tackles some of the big issues in Amish communities will find Hubbard's take a refreshing and honest portrayal of the good and the bad. Hubbard doesn't shy away from the hard questions nor do her characters turn a blind eye to violence and abuse. This is an interesting take on the Plain People.

What I liked:

I want to start off by saying
Tara Lee
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to get a chance to review Promise Lodge by Charlotte Hubbard. I am a huge fan of her other series, of all of her characters from Willow Ridge and Cedar Creek. I've read so much of those that I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the characters from Promise Lodge, but just as with the other books, the people in this story felt like instant friends.

Since this is a brand new book, I will try not to give too much away.

Rosetta, Mattie, and Christine have left Coldstream, along with
Debbie
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was fun reading about the characters, getting to know them, and I will get the next book in the series to see what happens next in their lives. A very nice story.
Teresa
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I do not often read books known to have a religious flair to them, I am more into paranormal and romance. At first I passed this book up, but the more I thought about the blurb the more I wanted to read it. The blurb just made this book intriguing to me. Now that I am finished with the book, I must admit, I am so glad I changed my mind. I will also be looking into other books like this one.
I really enjoyed the book and would love this to turn into a series. I would love to know more of the
« previous 1 3 next »

• Caroline's Secret (Wells Landing, #1)
  • A Home for Hannah (Amish of Pontotoc #1)
  • A Love for Leah (Amish of Pontotoc #2)
  • The Telling (Seasons of Grace, #3)
  • The Amish Christmas Letters
  • The Letters (Inn at Eagle Hill #1)
  • Like a Bee to Honey (The Honeybee Sisters #3)
  • Lorie's Heart
  • Courting Emily (Wells Landing #2)
  • Huckleberry Hearts (The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill, #6)
  • The Farmer's Bride (Amish Brides of Birch Creek #2)
  • A Love Made New (Amish of Birch Creek #3)
  • A Hopeful Heart (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #1)
  • The Missing Will (The Amish Millionaire #4)
  • The Missing (Seasons of Grace, #2)
  • Huckleberry Harvest (The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill, #5)
  • An Amish Wedding
  • Mending Fences (The Deacon's Family #1)
Drawing upon her experiences in Jamesport, the largest Old Order Amish community west of the Mississippi, longtime Missourian Charlotte Hubbard (a.k.a. Naomi King) writes of simpler times and a faith-based lifestyle in her new Seasons of the Heart series. Like her heroine, Miriam Lantz, Charlotte considers it her personal mission to feed people—to share hearth and home. Faith and family, farming ...more

Promise Lodge (5 books)
  • Christmas at Promise Lodge (Promise Lodge, #2)
  • Weddings at Promise Lodge (Promise Lodge, #3)
  • New Beginnings at Promise Lodge (Promise Lodge #4)
  • Light Shines on Promise Lodge (Promise Lodge #5)