Start by marking “Caught Running” as Want to Read:
Caught Running

Caught Running

Ten years after graduation, Jake "the jock" Campbell and Brandon "the nerd" Bartlett are teaching at their old high school and still living in separate worlds. When Brandon is thrown into a coaching job on Jake's baseball team, they find themselves learning more about each other than they'd ever expected.

High school is all about image, even for the teachers. Brandon and Ja
Published December 1st 2007 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Caught Running, please sign up.
Sali Hm, you have amazon, kobo, Barnes and Noble.. where you can buy it.
Hm, you have amazon, kobo, Barnes and Noble.. where you can buy it.
There is the links of all the retailers site on the goodreads book page, under the sumary.. (less)
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon Suede
The Best of Gay Romance
2,997 books — 3,236 voters
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels
Favorite Gay Couples
2,853 books — 3,670 voters

More lists with this book...

♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
Enjoyable. Funny. Steamy. Hot. Cute.

The thing I've noticed in my reviews is that I rarely use "cute" for mf books. But when it comes to MM, no matter their age, no matter how different they are, I always consider the couple to be a cute one. Maybe it's the lacking of drama, super-angst or BS that characterises the fair sex (I swear I'm not a misogynist, but women tend to be very melodramatic, especially in books).

Jake and Brandon finished high school at the same time. They were so different, Ja
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

I'm a sucker for a good sports read and this was one of the best MM sports reads I've read to date!

It had a delicious slow build between Jake and Brandon, who were once classmates. Never friends but now work at their old high school together.

When Brandon is forced to help Jake out coaching the baseball team they become friends and eventually more.

This one was a very easy read, with little to no angst. The steam really picked up the second half but wasn't necessarily missed in the fir
Kaje Harper
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
If I had known nothing about this book, and had no friend reviews to go on, I would have gotten halfway through the first chapter and given up on it. And that would have been a shame, because it's a very good book.

The best thing anyone could do for newbies coming to this book would be to post a warning - "Many unexpected POV shifts ahead; pay attention to names and be prepared. In the first nine pages, the POV shifts back and forth between the two MC's at least 10 times. Sometimes it's hard to f
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This book was everything I have come to expect from Abigail Roux and Madeleine Urban. It was sweet, very sexy, low angst, and a lot of fun. Jake and Brandon were just delicious. However, I don't typically connect to sports books as well as other genres of M/M so I didn't feel quite as invested with this story as I would have liked. Still, it was a great read to break me out of a bit of a slump.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
First read in March 2011

I really enjoyed this story!
I can definitely recommend it, but I would have loved an epilogue!

I've decided I need to reread this one, so here it goes.
Update, I have decided to rate it higher a 4.45* for sure, but the ending still feels a bit rushed or incomplete.
Jake was a great sports talent, unfortunately his body took a beating with all the sports and surgeries and now he is a coach at his old highschool and in constant pain from all the abuse his body took over the
Catherine
I don't know, you guys... Maybe if this was the first or only m/m story I had ever read, I might have rated it higher, but 4 years and 1600+ m/m novels later, this story and the writing was pretty underwhelming. Also, the head hopping EVERY. OTHER. PARAGRAPH. drove me bananas.
Chan
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
M/M + Sports

Jake the nerd and Brandon the jock both went to high school together. They ran in different circles and probably said less than 5 words to each other. They graduated, left town to purse dreams, but unfortunate circumstances had them return to their hometown and are both employed at their alma mater, and both are still respectively nerdy and jock-y. However, something is different about both of them since they last saw each other....sexual preferences.

I’ll make this quick. My issues –
Gigi
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-bdsm, mm-baseball
My second read wasn't quite as awe inspiring as the first, but I still loved it to pieces!

Review coming when I have time to catch up.

Highly Recmmended!
Ingie
4 Stars - He was around the corner, and after looking for a bit more accurate, he was the one you wanted. Two lucky birds with one stone!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This book has been in my iPad for a while and eventually I figured it was time to read it (before I start with the Cut & Run series by the same two authors). A good decision - happy again, another (strong) 4-star from me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the initial chapters there was a lot about baseball and procedures at the High School where the two main
Heather C
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Such a sweet story! I really enjoyed this one, especially since I read it following a really angsty book. This was just a happy, sweet little story about Jake the "Jock" and Brandon the "Nerd" falling in love. No angst and lots of hot sex.

I must add that the wacky POV shifts were annoying and confusing, but it didn't take away much from me enjoying the book.
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
01/18/13: Revised rating after a couple of years of reading m/m: from 4 to 3.

First: this is a beautiful love story! It was really difficult to put the book down to do the ordinary things in life, because the two main characters, Jake and Brandon, are adorable and the way they fall in love was exciting.

I couldn't give 5 stars because of three issues:

- the point of view is changing from Jake to Brandon from paragraph to paragraph and sometimes it's difficult to understand whose thoughts we are rea
garrett
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
aksana  -  4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 -
4.25 Stars :D
DaisyGirl
2.5 Stars

Well, 2.5 stars surprises me because I love when Urban and Roux team up. But this one was ... ugh. I liked the characters well enough and the romance was sweet, so it wasn't a total bust. But the pacing and switching POVs gave me a headache ... and whiplash.

This one was underwhelming because:
1) It was sloooooooooooow. It felt like the slowest burn ever. The story moved at a snail's pace for me. Slogging through the minutiae of Jake and Brandon's day-to-day lives was painful and, at time
Mark
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book immensely. Jake reminded so much of my P. E. teacher in school who I also had a healthy respect for if not slightly overpowering and scary. Just never thought that he may have had a softer side too.

I loved the way the author built up the suspension in the beginning of their relationship with both guys being unsure and second guessing themselves all the time. This would be totally natural in a situation where being gay could be construed as not an option. It is only the proce
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
2-2.5 STARS
I liked from the start the premise of this story – two friends in the closet who became more, but even if this story was sweet, it barely hold my attention. Anyway, the think that bugged me the most is the fact that Jake’s POV and Brandon’s POV are changing way to fast, sometimes from paragraph to paragraph. It didn’t help that first 30-35% was very, very slow and bored me to death.

Reading cliché after cliché didn’t help either and the ending was too rushed, left in the air too much.
MLE
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, lendle
A sweet read without undue angst. I liked both the characters, and their relationship. I did think things would have been better without the cheerleading coach, and the drama she brought. She just felt like one of those "evil" female characters too many m/m novels seem to think they have to have. A very shallow, and thin character that didn't add anything to the story. The assistant coaches were fun. I admired how much the main characters were dedicated to the team, and to their students, and ne ...more
Darkm
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
This is a book I absolutely loved. The story between Jake and Brandon feels absolutely real. They ignored each other when they were at school, because one was the star of the football team, the other one was the "nerd", the studious one.
Years later they are both back at the very same school, both teaching. The occasion to finally get to know each other comes when Brandon, who is the science teacher, has to take the job as coach for the football team. The more they know each other the more they f
Meags
4 Stars

With the exception of the jarring pov changes, I basically loved everything else about this story.

The characters were extremely likeable, the slow-burn romance was fantastic, and the eventual smex that followed was even better.

As a teacher, I love reading about fellow teachers when the setting and the experiences they are dealing with ring true to life. So, hats off to the authors for accurately representing the crazy busy, yet mostly rewarding, everyday life experiences of teachers.

❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧

Oh, God, I love Branden so much!

Jake, I like, I just did not love. Great storyline and wonderful no-angst slow building romance. I also loved the constant POV shifting. However, the writing style needed some polishing. Overall, I liked it still. 3-3.5 Stars~
Kindle Alexander
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
i loved it! loved the style of writing, loved the pov shifts almost every paragraph. i loved knowing what everyone thought, as it happened. even misty's pov. it's become my favorite style of writing, you see this a lot in role play writing, but it hasnt switched into books, until now! its wonderful. thank you for recommending it!
Eva
Sweet 4.5 stars...

Really BEAUTIFUL, PASSIONATE, REAL and BELEIVABLE story.

I loved Jake and Brandon's tender discovery of themselves, communication (and lack of it), passion and love.

Recommended to all Abi's fans

I had a small issue with transition between POVs but that's minor.

Susan65
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Blogger Girls

This was one of my favorite books back in 2011 and so I decided to go ahead in 2017 and see if the audio could live up to my memories. Well, it was still really good, but it wasn’t as great as I had made it up to be in my mind. Not sure if that’s because my tastes have changed, or what, but regardless, it was still an awesome story and one I will always recommend. I think the authors matured in their writing in their more recent books. One of my peeves was the constant “the scie
Jane Seville
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I've also read "Cut & Run" by these authors, and I admit I liked this one better. Although it also had the POV-shifting problem, the characters and dialogue felt much more real, more heartfelt. The characters were likable and the relationship...well, it was adorable, if you'll pardon the term!
Pavellit
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hot, audiobook, ya-na, sport
With 'Caught Running' getting 4 and 5 star reviews I was expecting to catch my heart, but there were so many obstacles on the road to allow this happen. Let me begin with the abrupt POV shifts. I usually don't mind the third person POV switches, but this was too much to follow easily. The story was disjointed in the way that I read within a paragraph from Brandon's point of view then all of the sudden it switched to Jake and then back again. It's incredibly annoying to have to read back (in my c ...more
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews

Loved the build-up between these two and their actual time together was really sweet.
Jerry
Listening to the audio book. Good narrator and the story feels better with the narration. Everything I wrote previously remains true. This is the third time I have "read" this book and will probably re read again. It's just one of those feel good stories for me.

Very satisfying re-read for me.
The beginning almost brings me back to High School with the cliques and negative attitudes. The authors capture the feeling of the students as well as the faculty. Interesting how Jake and Brandon have been
Jane (PS)
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First read: 8-10 Sep 2011

I found this a very sweet love story. I loved the characters interactions - between themselves and with outside parties. (The other two coaches were a hoot.) Brandon and Jake's relationship was slow to develop and therefore much more realistic. I liked the fact neither H/H were TSTL, which often happens to create conflict in a 'sweet' romance. There were no amazing feats of strength, no need for incredible deductive skills, no excessive drawn-out sex scenes - just straig
Isabel
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One more book from these excellent authors that I love!

This one, however, requires so much attention, because the characters POV is constantly changing... but it has become a very interesting reading.

Jake and Brandon are adorable! Their attraction begins and its a while until they figured out how in love they were with each other. And it was sexy, hot, beautiful and sweet! Without drama and without angst... just perfect!
Jilrene
This was a re-read of one of the first MM books I bought. I adored it when I read it all those years ago. Now, I still like it really well, but it's not the best book I've read. Also, this time I listened to the Audible edition and the narrator was not very good. Maybe disappointment is why I don't re-read books. ;)

• Tigerland (Tigers and Devils, #2)
  • Clear Water
  • Out in the Field
  • Steamroller
  • Sno Ho (Summit City, #1)
  • Love & Loyalty  (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #2)
  • Dance With Me (Dancing, #1)
  • Crossing Borders (Crossing Borders, #1)
  • Strawberries for Dessert (Coda Books, #4; Strawberries for Dessert, #1)
  • Admit One
  • Shades of Gray
  • Take My Picture
  • Stars & Stripes (Cut & Run, #6)
  • The One That Got Away
  • I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • A Note in the Margin (A Note in the Margin, #1)
Madeleine Urban is a down-home Kentucky girl who’s been writing since she could hold a crayon. Although she has written and published on her own, she truly excels when writing with co-authors. She lives with her husband, who is very supportive of her work, and two canine kids who only allow her to hug them when she has food. She wants to live at Disney World, the home of fairy dust, because she be ...more
“Since we’re opening up with our feelings and all, I feel the need to tell you that this is the gayest car I’ve ever been in,” 38 likes
“I’m pretty sure I love you,” 26 likes