Jump to ratings and reviews

Something in the Air

Her life hasn't gone as planned, but she's about to realize that sometimes the best things happen when you stop expecting life to be a certain way...

When Rose Morgan put off her college plans to help her mother through a difficult time, she thought it would just be a bump in the road of her journey. She got a job to help pay the bills and started picking up the slack at home. But three years later, her bumpy ride hasn’t smoothed out yet, and Rose feels stuck. She’s working at a job she hates and living with a manipulative mother. She’s tired of feeling like her life has stalled, tired of the resentment and anger building inside her with each passing day.

Then Declan Connelly appears in her life, and even though the hot Irishman is seriously tempting, Rose is determined not to let him in. She’s afraid to suck anyone into her bizarre life, especially someone who seems too charming for his own good. She soon learns there’s more to Declan than his sexy accent and charismatic personality, though. He’s a good man, and he wants Rose in his life, baggage and all. He’s got his own, and he isn’t scared away like she originally feared he would be.

Everything in Rose’s life is changing quickly. It’s finally her time--time to figure out what she wants and what her future holds. Time to get swept off her feet and not fight it. But when her plans might take her away from all the amazing new things in her life, including Declan, Rose has to make a choice. Is she willing to chase her dreams, even if it means letting go of love?

246 pages, Kindle Edition

First published November 10, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Marie Landry

19 books847 followers
Stay up to date with new releases, sales, promos, and other news by signing up for Marie's newsletter and be sure to follow her on BookBub so you never miss a new release!

Marie Landry’s life revolves around books; when she’s not writing them, she’s reading them, taking pictures of them for bookstagram, or blogging about them. An avid reader from a young age, she loves getting lost in characters’ worlds, whether they’re of her own making or someone else’s. She particularly loves stories with as much of an emphasis on self-discovery and friendship as on romance...but don’t leave out the romance!

She lives in a cozy apartment in Ontario, Canada with the best roommate ever, and can be found working in a room surrounded by Funko Pops and--you guessed it--books. When not doing bookish things, you can often find her cooking, exploring areas both familiar and new, watching TV, or taking photos. Her fangirl heart perks up at the mention of Star Wars, Sherlock, and Doctor Who, and you’ll often find nerdy references woven into her books.

Marie loves to chat, especially with fellow book lovers. Here’s where you can find her:
Blog: Ramblings of a Daydreamer
Instagram: SweetMarie_83 (bookish pics) or Rambling_Daydreamer (non-bookish pics)
Twitter: @SweetMarie83
Facebook: Marie Landry, Author

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
10 (16%)
1 star
1 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 49 reviews
Profile Image for Pearl Angeli.
622 reviews943 followers
November 12, 2015
I'm sorry but this wasn't a winner for me. This book has a lot of potentials when it comes to premise. However, I'm quite sad that it didn't meet my expectations. The writing style of the author is beautiful and very easy to read and I have no problem with that, but then, I don't know why I find it hard to connect with the characters, especially Rose Morgan.

The story was interesting in the beginning but as it progressed, it didn't appeal to me anymore. The plot progression was a bit slow and I got really impatient for the thrill to finally come. The romance was also not so fascinating and sad to say, I didn't find myself swooning over them.

It was supposed to make me feel affected because of the family drama and well, because there's also a hot Irish man in the person of Declan Connelly, but I wasn't. It has a nice and sweet ending though. :)

(I was provided a copy of this book by the Publisher in exchange for an honest review.)

Rating:

Pearl's Book Journey (1)

description
Profile Image for Aria ・❥・Biblioaria ˚ · ..
634 reviews1,311 followers
November 5, 2015
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE PUBLICIST FOR SENDING ME THIS COPY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW.

When I finished this book I was like "Man... where can I get myself a handsome, sweet, responsible Irish guy???"

Full review to follow.
Profile Image for Heather K (dentist in my spare time).
3,831 reviews5,505 followers
November 18, 2015
Sometimes I wonder why I bother trying new authors, especially in the dreaded M/F, new adult contemporary genre. Do I like disappointment?? Do I enjoy feeling underwhelmed? No, honestly. It is just that the NA genre has been hot for a few years now, and I'm always seeking actually GOOD books that fall into this category. They are just few and far between.

Often, a book will fail for me because the author's writing style is clumsy or hard to read. This isn't the case with this book. The writing style was actually very pleasant, and I had no trouble with the editing or flow of the words.

The plot on the other hand...

I didn't enjoy the pseudo love-triangle between Rose, Declan, and Rose's male best friend. There was too much focus on the sexual tension and emotional relationship between Rose and her friend, and I thought it detracted from Rose and Declan.

I also felt very little chemistry between Rose and Declan. They were a blah couple, I'm afraid, and I was really uninspired by them. The family issues that they each had felt forced and contrived.

While not a bad story (it had its cute moments), I had a hard time finishing it. I guess I'm continuing my search for a great M/F, NA novel elsewhere.

**Copy provided in exchange for an honest review**
Profile Image for Annika.
448 reviews101 followers
May 18, 2016
This book wasn't as depressing a read as I feared it would be before picking it up, though I wouldn't label it as light, either. It is a story of lost dreams, self-discovery, friendship and courage, all mixed together in a sweet New Adult romance.

Rose seems to have drawn the short straw in life. With an absent father and a manipulative, and dependent and depressed mother, her schoolfriends scattered in colleges throughout the country while she's stuck in a tedious waitressing job in her little home town, she struggles to make the best of her situation. Her only glimmer of light seems to be her best friend Dante, who has made it his mission to encourage and help Rose to make more out of her life. Until she meets Declan, that is. Declan comes with an irresistible Irish charme and a family as tight as can be. He sweeps her off her feet in no time, and soon everything starts to change. But will Rose be brave enough to embrace those changes or settle for what she knows best?

What I enjoyed most about this story was Rose's journey of self-discovery. Great character development. I loved witnessing how she turned from being a total pushover (quote Dante: "That's why I push you. You're far from spineless, Rose, but when it comes to your mom you're like a damn jellyfish. You're so afraid of upsetting her you're willing to live a completely miserable life.") into a strong and independent young woman. I was totally smitten with Dante. The romance part was cute, but I didn't really feel it. I liked Declan well enough, but I didn't love him. Rose's mom made me furious, but not in a OTT kind of way.

This book had fantastic moments, but there were stretches that dragged a little, too. I enjoyed Marie Landry's writing a lot. All in all it was a totally decent read. Solid 3 stars.

ARC provided by the author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Samantha.
571 reviews41 followers
November 5, 2015
4 sweet and endearing stars. Rose and Declan have a rather interesting first meeting as he saves her from a guy at the bar she would rather not be talking to. The spark between them is instant, an awareness of sorts, that worries Rose just a bit. I found Declan really allowed Rose to be "set free" from the chains her mother has her locked in. Overall, it was a lighter read but nonetheless entertaining and pleasurable. Simply put, I liked it and would read more by this author.
Profile Image for Tanya (Girl Plus Books).
967 reviews77 followers
November 20, 2015
3.5 STARS

Rose is a young woman who has put her life on hold. After her parents divorce when she was in high school her mother fell apart. Instead of college, Rose felt obligated to stay at home, get a job, and be there for her mother. Two years later, at age 20, Rose is still in the same place, living the same life. Her mother is emotionally dependent and manipulative, making Rose feel guilty for wanting more.

While enjoying a rare night out with best friend Dante, Rose meets Irish charmer Declan Connelly. Rose is smitten but reluctant to bring anyone into her insular life. A chance meeting a few days later brings them together again and so begins their relationship.

Something in the Air is a perfectly pleasant contemporary romance with a focus on living life on your own terms and following your heart. Rose was a self-sacrificing young woman who continued to put her perceived responsibility to her mother over her own wants and needs and fell victim to her mother's manipulations time and time again. I enjoyed seeing Rose begin to assert herself and start to push for a life separate from her mother. Of special note was her reconnection with her father (and his new wife). He provided a much needed perspective and was a positive influence in her life.

It was impossible not to fall for Declan. The guy had it all: Irish accent (yes, I absolutely heard his Irish brogue in my head as I read), handsome, thoughtful, compassionate, affectionate, generous. As much as I enjoyed him, I couldn't help but feel that he fell into the to-good-to-be-true category. The guy simply did not have a single fault. Similarly, Rose and Declan's relationship progressed at lightning speed and never had a single a hiccup. Finally, Rose's fight for independence came all too easily and with seemingly little effort. Solutions to problems like where to live, finding a new job, and an opportunity to travel were all dropped in her lap. Rose's growth didn't feel particularly hard won because of this.

Overall, Something in the Air was sweet and entertaining and there was plenty to enjoy - true friendship in the form of Dante, a loving father and step-mother, the swoony Declan, and the strong family ties between Declan, his aunt and cousin. Readers looking for something on the lighter side of contemporary romance will likely enjoy this one.

Note: I was sent a copy of this title in exchange for an honest review. This does not change my opinion of the book or the content of this review.
Profile Image for Liina.
279 reviews82 followers
November 9, 2015
Rose is living with her manipulating and selfish mother, she is working at a diner as a waitress to support herself and her mother. She is not enjoying the lifestyle nor her job, but she feels guilty to leave her mother to live a life she really wants.

On one of the rare evenings, when Rose goes out with her only best friend Dante, she end up meeting a real gentleman called Declan. They leave their next meeting up to the faith, and life sure has big plans for them. Dante and Declan help Rose to come to terms with her mother and finally start the life she deserves. Meeting Declan was probably one of the best things in Rose’s life, because he brought only happiness to her life and made everything worthwhile. Everyone needs Declan in their lives!

I enjoyed the story and all the characters, except Rose’s mother of course! Even though people like Rose’s mother are affecting your life negatively, they also make you cherish the people who love you unconditionally even more. The only thing that was missing for me was the epilogue, I really would have wanted to know what happened in the lives of the three main characters after they went to chase their dreams.
Profile Image for Dee☾.
386 reviews105 followers
May 15, 2016
I received a copy of this book by the author for a review and once I read the synopsis I knew I had to read it. Come one, a hot Irishman? Sign me up! I expected this to be a cute love story between two characters that I would really enjoy and I did, but it was so much more. This book isn't just about a romance between Rose and the sexy Irish Declan, it's about finding yourself and learning to be brave. I fell in love with this story and am so thankful for the chance to read it. Thank you, Marie Landry, for this beautiful story.

You can't hang your happiness on someone else. You can't sit around waiting for it to happen. You have to want it, and sometimes you have to go out and find it.

Rose Morgan lives with her mother taking all responsibilities within the household since her father left them. I felt so badly for her living in that toxic environment because her mother was the manipulator. Oh, she was good and knew exactly how to butter Rose up to make her feel guilty enough so she'd get her way. Right from the beginning I was rooting for Rose to just leave and get out. I admired her strength and courage to do what was difficult. At the beginning, Rose is scared and though she's always wanted to go to college or travel she feels this obligation to take care of her mother. After a while she just became comfortable and settled into their little unhealthy relationship. I am so glad she had Dante there to help push her into doing the right, though scary, things. She showed some great development and by the end I was so happy and excited for her.

I want to court you, then. Will you let me?

Declan was definitely swoon-worthy and I was a puddle after reading this. This man asks Rose if she would let him court her. Court her! Not go out with her or "hook up," COURT HER! Excuse me while I melt ♥

Although I was a little shocked to read how fast his relationship with Rose was progressing, but for some reason it worked. They worked and their romance was just so darn cute. I loved them together and would have liked to see more because I definitely need more Declan in my life. However, I liked that this wasn't simply a romance story. It was about Rose finding herself and making her own path.

This book was quite and cute and I really enjoyed myself while reading it. It didn't have any major conflicts like I was expecting, but I didn't mind. It kept a steady pace and didn't feel rushed. I enjoyed Marie Landry's writing style and the way she weaved so many amazing characters together for this beautiful story. This book had some great family/friend relationships that just made my heart smile. Declan and his aunt and cousin,Maura. Rose and Dante. Rose and her father. Then Rose and Maura. I loved every single word. I am so sad to see it end.

I definitely recommend this book if you love New Adult. It's cute, quiet, quick, and easy to read.

Besides who doesn't love a gorgeous Irishman?

Side note: I definitely would not object to a companion novel...say about Dante? *wink wink*

Review originally posted on The Bookish Khaleesi
Profile Image for Sharon.
844 reviews
November 17, 2015
Review: 4 out of 5 stars

I am such a huge fan of Marie, she is an amazing author and a fantastic blogging friend so I was quite eager to read Something in the Air and it didn’t fail to disappoint.

I needed a light-hearted read at this time and despite their being a few confrontations and a bit of angst between the main character Rose Morgan and her mother, it was nothing over the top or dramatic which I appreciated.

Twenty year old Rose is more or less stuck in a rut, working for the local diner, waiting on her mother hand and foot and with only one friend her life has been put on hold, she has no idea what she wants to do so with some encouragement from her best friend Dante she slowly begins to do what she wants to do and stands up against her needy, lying mother.

It was nice to see Rose progress as a character throughout the book, she seemed quite meek and a bit of a push-over when we first meet her but as she slowly made changes her life improved – she moved out of home, made some friends, quit her job and started another, reconnected with her father and also started a relationship with a smexy Irishman, Declan Connelly. She was a really loveable character.

At the beginning of the book, I honestly thought (and hoped) that Rose would end up with her best friend Dante who I absolutely adored, he was amazing; such a protective sweetheart and although I thought her relationship progressed at a rapid pace with Declan, I soon fell as hard for him as what Rose did, he was great! I also loved the friendship she came to have with Declan’s cousin who I really hope Marie will write a book about (preferably with Dante).

Overall, Something in the Air is well written, fun and entertaining with a great cast of characters; it’s a light-hearted read with a satisfying ending.
October 28, 2015
~I received a copy of this book from the author’s publicist in exchange for an honest review~

I loved “Something in the Air” and really enjoyed reading Rose and Declan’s story. Marie Landry did an excellent job with the storyline and characters, and I loved her writing style. Rose and Declan were truly amazing, and I loved their personalities and chemistry together. They were both easily relatable characters, and I couldn’t help but fall in love with them. Their relationship moved a little fast, but I could tell they were perfect for each other right from the start. Rose’s mother was less than desirable, but I really liked her dad and his wife, Pamela, and Declan’s aunt and cousin were wonderful as well. Rose’s best friend, Dante, was awesome and I loved the close relationship they had together. I also loved that there wasn’t a huge conflict between Rose and Declan three-quarters of the way through the book. I would have a preferred the ending to be a little different, but it was right for the characters and I was happy for them. I really did enjoy “Something in the Air” by Marie Landry, and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a humorous and heartfelt new adult contemporary romance!

Check out more of my reviews on my blog: https://perksofbeingabibliophile.word...
Profile Image for Michelle.
1,250 reviews187 followers
November 8, 2015
Having read some of Marie's other books, there was no chance I was going to pass up the opportunity to read her latest book, Something in the Air. When I began reading it was clear that I was going to enjoy this book.

We start the book with Rose, she is a waitress in a job that was meant to be temporary, three years later she is still there, stuck in a rut. She lives at home with her Mum, and chose to stay rather than go to college or travel after her parents divorced. Now she feels that she can't leave her Mum alone, someone who relies on Rose far too much. After this brief introduction I could relate to Rose's feeling about being stuck in a job, especially a cafe. Being on your feet all day with little or no thanks, and add to that the long hours, it's not the place to be if you didn't plan on staying long in the first place.
I loved Dante and how he is there for Rose and her Mum, but does not hesitate to help Rose in any way he can, He is a great friend for her and very supportive of her decisions, even down to quitting with her. He is the one who pokes and prods, who encourages her to stand up for herself and see who she really is.

Declan, is an Irish stranger who saves Rose from a very crazy person in a club, and literally bumps into her again. Declan is the push that Rose needs to see her life as it is, and to see what she is capable of doing. Their relationship encourages Rose to face a lot of things from the past that have always haunted her, which uncovers a lot of things that were hidden from her. I loved how he was supportive of her, even when faced with her living situation. He openly tells her how he feels and what he can do to help, and while I do think things between them were very rushed, they do make a sweet couple.

Something in the Air is a book that makes you stop and take stock of your life, makes you think about what you want for the future, but it's also about taking chances, of believing in yourself and the friendship of others. Rose is forced to confront people after her past is revealed, and to have the confidence to do that, knowing it could end up closing a door on that relationship is a hard thing to do, but the following quote speaks volumes about her self-belief at that moment in time.

You kicking me out was the best thing that could have happened. I was forced to fall or fly, so I spread the wings I didn't know I had and I flew.

The ending of Something in the Air was something I didn't expect, but it follows on the character development perfectly. However, the final twist did make me extremely happy and I really look forward to seeing if anything comes from this.

Final Verdict
Something in the Air was an enjoyable read from start to finish. I really enjoyed seeing Rose and Dante grow as characters throughout the pages and I can't wait too see if we get to hear more from them, and a few others, in the near future.
Profile Image for Anneliese .
109 reviews12 followers
November 10, 2015
Three words: Declan. Connelly. YUM!

The romance between Declan and Rose is so sweet, raw, and true. SITA is a beautiful love story, but also a coming of age, finding yourself, spreading your wings, secrets revealed, pasts forgiven, relationships reunited story.

After her parents' divorce, Rose in torn between living the life she wants and staying home to help her mother pick up the pieces of her failed marriage. Three years later Rose is still living at home with her mom and working at the same small diner to support them both.

I was sucked into this story the minute Dante (not to be confused with Declan), Roses best friend, walked on the page. One of my favorite reads is a "friends to benefits" and I thought Landry would throw a little of that in there- semi *spoiler alert* - she doesn't, they are truly best friends and I LOVE it. It's rare that I come across a book that has the guy/girl best friend scenario without some kind of love interest/triangle/jealousy thing happening. He pushes her to become the person he knows she can be and also the person she wants to be.

So when Declan first makes his appearance I was torn. Dante had already proven to be a great, loyal, and highly protective friend, but Declan was tall, dark, and handsome...and did I mention IRISH? From Ireland - accent and all. Yeah, how was I going to chose between the two? - I WASN'T! No love triangle! I kept waiting for the ball to drop, but it didn't.

"But first I had a date with my best friend and a hot Irishman"

Declan swoops in and saves Rose from some creeper at the bar and they end up talking til bar close. But Rose is to closed off and not sure about starting a relationship with the way things are going at home.

"You were saying you don't have time for a boyfriend, but then a guy-one who's clealy interested in you, I might add- practically falls into your lap and you pull a "Serendipity?"

When they run into each other again on the street Declan doesn't take no for an answer and their budding romance begins.

"From the moment I met you I've felt like you've bewitched me, Rose." Declan's voice was so soft, it was like a caress. "I've never felt so protective of someone I barely know. I want to keep you safe, make you happy..."

And that's what he does. Rose has many more trials and tribulations to go through and Declan stands by her side the entire time.

But when Rose is offered the chance of a lifetime, she finds herself having to choose once again - between staying with Declan, the person she loves, living a mediocre life and finally following her dreams.

The last 15% had me soo nervous, I just didn't know how it would end.

Great read, great story, yummy Irish and Greeky protective guys. Definitely a must read.
Profile Image for Carlene Inspired.
917 reviews237 followers
November 20, 2015
Rose Morgan has been in the same job as a waitress for three years, using her money to support her mom and keeping her tips for herself. She's about fed up with the way her life is going and after a lot of prodding from her best friend, she's starting to spread her wings. Enter Declan, handsome Scottish pub owner and overall good guy. He's not only offering her every opportunity to switch her life around, but also offering himself to her. He's far more than just his sexy accent and just as their relationship starts to take off Rose realizes she wants even more. Rose has to decide if she's finally where she wants to be or if her dreams are worth leaving Declan behind.

Rose has some great character development and growth throughout this entire book, I only had to ask myself about five times why she didn't start doing all of this freedom stuff sooner. She's incredibly capable, had the smarts and the drive, and was overall an interesting character to read. Declan sounds like a completely unbelievable guy, but I'll still take one of him if someone's got a spare responsible, hot, giving Scottish guy lying around. Ha. The character of Dante was really crucial to Rose's growth and I think he brought so much more to the story than other MC best friends often bring. I enjoyed the interactions of Rose and Dante more than anything else, because he seemed to bring her to life and from there the story just grew. I liked Rose's relationship with her father when it came around and how he pushed her. Rose is just one of those characters that needs shoved in the right direction and the story unfolds from there.

The faux love triangle drove me absolutely nuts. I was completely invested in the friendship between Dante and Rose, but a lot of the language and awkward hints in the book leads the reader to think Dante has a thing for Rose. It's completely unnecessary for the overall story and mostly just made me think something was going to happen that never did happen. Plus, the relationship between Declan and Rose is instant, so in it's newness it was odd to have feelings of jealousy coming from Dante. The ending comes quickly and any drama just wraps up seamlessly. I often struggle with characters who don't react as a real person would and this book had all those problems. Declan seems to be happy for...well everything, even where other feelings would've made more sense. Just didn't work for me.

I would have liked an epilogue, but overall this is a good New Adult novel from Marie Landry.
Profile Image for Renita.
283 reviews37 followers
November 2, 2015
*ARC received in exchange for an honest review *

When I was approached to give this book a read I of course hopped over to check out the synopsis. I'm not going to lie to you, I read hot Irishman and things went a bit blurry. I had to restrain myself from adding him to the book boyfriend list just from the synopsis.
Nope. I held strong. I settled in for a good read and gosh I think I was a complete goner the very first time we "hear" Declan speak.
I know I'm talking a lot about Declan (I can't help it, he's quite perfect) but he isn't the focus of the book. It's definitely about Rose.

I found the book unique in how it deals with a interesting element of mental illness. More than being different in plot, I liked that Rose's eyes were open to her situation. She knew (for the most part) what she was dealing with and what she needed to do. This gave me constant reassurance that there wasn't going to be so much of the should I/could I rollercoaster. Whatever it was that she lacked she got from the characters that surrounded her like family - and yeah Declan is in there too.

Okay I'm going to go there again.. Declan.
Declan was quite possibly 100% perfect Book Boyfriend Material. He's mature, kind, patient, well traveled, smart, and.... everything. Plus he's got that accent. It's not a surface attraction; the way he deals with the growing relationship between him and Rose is spot on. The way he treats the women in his life is pretty fantastic.

Things in the story moved along quickly which didn't bother me too much but I consistently saw the characters acknowledging a lot of the same things I had popping in my thought process while reading. One of the main things is that I wish we would have gotten a bit more of the pull between Declan and Rose... a bit more of the pull of attraction and how it transforms into more... but it wasn't an absolute deal breaker for me.
What I thought about this book as it came to a close was how it flipped the script on some of the more typical plots in the genre. Instead of focusing on Rose's sacrifice for love, it reiterated the point that self love and discovery was extremely important. Now you know I have to love that right?!

I'm rating this one at 3.75-4 Stars
Profile Image for Jessica.
Author 2 books167 followers
October 31, 2015
See more of my reviews on my blog Thoughts At One In The Morning.

My Thoughts:

I have had the wonderful opportunity to not only become friends with Marie Landry, but also her critique partner. I got to see the first part of this story early on and I've been in love with it since the beginning.

Rose is a character you can easily relate to because everyone has something in their life that has caused them to feel out of control. She starts taking a step outside her comfort zone with the help of her best friend, Dante. That's when she meets Declan. She's immediately drawn to him, but she's not ready to bring him into the mess that is her life. He's relentless, though, and he wants to have her in his life, if she'll let him.

This story isn't all romance, which is probably what makes it even better. There are secondary characters--from the diner she works at, her father and his new wife, Declan's family, and, of course, Dante--all of which add to Rose's journey in one way or another. As Rose opens herself up to the possibility of love, she has to decide what else she wants from life. When she gets the chance to do something amazing, she has to make some tough decisions. It's now her chance to choose where her life leads her to next.

Something in the Air is a shining example of what new adult is all about. I was enveloped in Rose's world, watching her change from a caterpillar to a butterfly. And the romance with Declan? Beyond swoonworthy and extraordinarily sweet. By far, this is my favorite book by Marie Landry!

My Rating: Exceptional
Profile Image for Larissa.
227 reviews35 followers
November 25, 2015
I’ve been a fan of the New Adult genre ever since it started sprouting up a few years ago, but something that set this book apart that I really liked was that it wasn’t set on a college campus. Of course the campus setting makes a lot of sense since many people the age of New Adult protagonists are in college (I should know, I’m writing this review from my dorm room), but that’s not the path of everyone. I really liked how Landry explored this in the novel because protagonists who are already in college have that step of their lives planned out, which means the plot wholly follows the romance, no complaints there. But I loved how this story had an even wider scope of a girl trying to figure out what kind of life she wanted to lead on top of a budding romance.

I also really loved the characters in this book. Even the less important ones still were engaging and multi-dimensional, which adds so much to the story. The family dynamics shown at times were rough, but never felt contrived. I would also, on a personal note, like to commend this author for having a guy/girl best-friendship that did not turn into a love triangle once the love interest was introduced. I love stories about best friends falling for each other, but I feel like I read about it so often that every time two people of different genders are best friends I keep waiting for one of them to confess their love for the other. This book had so much going on it definitely did not need any extra drama to propel it forward!

I’d definitely recommend this one. It’s a quick read, but a great new addition to the New Adult genre!
Profile Image for Chasia Lloyd.
699 reviews56 followers
November 7, 2015
A wonderful and almost magical read from Marie Landry!

The book starts off on a whimsical note - one of Rose's regulars at her diner is dressed to the nine's, and he tells her there is "something in the air". From there, a beautiful story starts to unfold. A story about making changes and getting out of ruts and pursuing dreams.

Rose has a complicated relationship with her mother who has turned into something of a needy, sometimes hateful, depressed mess. Her best friend Dante pushes Rose to get out from her mother's clutches and learn to breathe for herself. Dante and Rose have an excellent friendship with a lot of unconditional love, and I enjoyed their relationship just a tiny bit more than the romantic relationship.

But don't get me wrong! I loved Rose's romantic relationship with Declan. Declan is hot, witty, and dedicated to his family. His family being his actual blood relatives and the people who wind up inside the tavern he runs with his aunt.

I wanted a tiny bit more between Rose and Maura, Declan's cousin, since female friendships are not often explored in depth in NA books, but I was pleased with what interactions we were given.

The book is fast and sweet with just enough bite (I teared up a few times during Rose's struggles with her mother). The perfect read for an afternoon when you feel there is "something in the air".

***e-ARC provided by NetGalley***
65 reviews11 followers
November 5, 2015
This was a fantastic read!! I loved the writing style and felt like I could really relate to the characters. The story was fabulous and draws you in from the start. The only thing I would have liked to see in this book is a great epilogue, I'd love to know a little about the future. I found there was a huge work up to get to the end ,then it just ended abruptly.
I loved how Rose grew a back bone and started enjoying life and I loved how swoon worthy both Declan and Dante were!!! All in all I think it was great.
Profile Image for XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy.
1,473 reviews434 followers
October 27, 2015
What most sticks out in this story is the maturity of the characters and the writing. It's not your wham bam thank you ma'am story. It takes time to develop and set up the characters for something that could well become a lasting healthy relationship. It stood out from a lot of what I've read and it didn't even have to be super erotic to do so :-p

ARC received in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Angela.
582 reviews1,257 followers
January 17, 2016
Tried really hard to get into this book. I just couldn't connect with Rose. This story had potential but I felt it dragged a lot. This book will be perfect for some, but wasn't for me.
Profile Image for Cindy.
42 reviews61 followers
November 14, 2015
*I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

"Sometimes in life you have to make decisions and hope they're the right ones".

Rose is not a normal girl, she would have to do whatever she wants to do with her life, but instead she's living with her mother, in a job that doesn't like and without a future dream, it's supposed to be for a few months while her mother recovers from the divorce but her mom has not intention to leave Rose to make a new life. That till Rose realize thanks to her friend that she needs to start to do something new, something that makes her happy, so when she starts to do new things with her life she founds a boy who ends up changing her life

Declan is a normal boy, he is happy, but it wasn't always that way, he has his ghosts but right now he doesn't live for his past, he only live for his present, so when he saw Rose in trouble in the bar he only can think in helping her, but despite that she doesn't trust him so he leave to the fate to make his move in this. Declan and Rose are surprised when a few days later they meet each other for accident, and Declan knows that this is his opportunity to be happy, so he starts a friendship with Rose, and when she needs help because she has trouble with her mom, Declan doesn't doubt in helping her with everything.

Rose decides to leave the hell that its live with her mother, and start again, but she needs answers, so she travels to visit her dad, so she learns that her mother had be lying all this time, and when she face her she kicks her out of her life. This is the push that Rose needs to start all over again, she starts to improve in a better relationship with her dad, and starts a new one with Declan he is the most important person that makes Rose to realize that she needs to experiment life and live all her dreams, so when she has the offer of her dream job Declan is there to support her, even if that means to be separated by an ocean for 6 months, but despite all the things that Rose thinks, Declan surprises her showing her how much he loves her, and leaving all behind to be with her forever.

It's a really good book, i wish that ti will be a few more pages long to know more about these two love birds, i really enjoy to read it and it was so good to read how Rose grow up and left all behind for her happiness. and how the support of the people that really care about her was the push that she needed.
Profile Image for Amy .
2,672 reviews
November 26, 2015
I really loved the idea of Something in the Air. In fact, the synopsis was one of the things that really pulled me in. So, as soon as I got my hands on this book, I couldn’t wait to dive in. Once I dove into this book, I quickly discovered that this is going to be one of those books that you either like or don’t. For me, I thought it was an ok read. I didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it either. I think the story started off really well. I was intrigued by the story-line and wanted to know more about Rose and her situation. I wanted to know why this twenty year old girl was still living at home with her mother; especially once you get to know her mother, you’d be wanting to run for the hills yourself. I really liked Dante. I thought he was an amazing, supportive friend. I loved how he was always pushing Rose and trying to make her see that she needed to do more with her life. I also really enjoyed Declan. He showed up at just the right time in Rose’s life and fate kept throwing the two of them together. Declan was super sweet and swoon worthy. You could tell that he really cared about Rose and wanted what was best for her.

What didn’t work for me was the pacing. The set-up was so slow. I just felt like it took far too long for things to happen. Another problem with the pacing was the pacing of Declan and Rose’s relationship. I love when you get to see characters relationships develop and that slow burn, but this was a little too slow for me. I wanted to see more passion and connection from the two of them. However, in the same token, there were other parts of their relationship that just felt too rushed. I would love to say that the pacing picked up towards the end, but sadly, it did not. I would have loved to have seen the pacing be more steady/evened out. This is just my opinion and the pacing may not bother other people.

Overall, I thought this was an ok read. Even though this book wasn’t a 100% hit for me, I’m still glad that I checked it out. The characters were entertaining. The romance was sweet and the ending did put a smile on my face. I think that this author has a ton of potential and I would definitely be open to checking out more of her books in the future.

*I was provided an ARC copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review*
Profile Image for Katherine DiLauro.
112 reviews3 followers
January 1, 2016
Something In The Air is one of those sweet but emotional I'm struggling to fly like a butterfly but feel stuck in my cocoon' love stories. Rose struggles between remaining loyal and supporting her mother through some hard times, and wanting to break free and experience her own life. Then in walks the irishmen. Declan. Now, who doesn't love a tall dark handsome man with an accent to boot?! Rose is somewhat hesitant at first, not wanting to feel like she's abandoning her mother for a man. But Declan proves to earn his right to her love, supporting her thru challenges that arise. I really wasn't sure what choice Rose would make and that had me on the edge of my seat thru the last part of the book. Your heart breaks for Rose but you also wanna reach thru the pages and shake her into nabbing that sexy foreigner up!
Although he paints sexy on well, Declan is also the sweet, emotional , family oriented guy we all dream about.
Anyone can relate to this story in some way because ultimately it's about finding oneself and pursuing our dreams. Rose is a realistic character and Landry does a great job of emotional description allowing the reader to truly connect with her characters. I even loved her secondary characters who each add their own light to the story and play a small role of making this story come to life. It's not all hearts and flowers, however. There are some real raw emotions that make this read a little of a tear jerker. But you'll feel better for it in the end. And that's what i loved about it. It wasn't perfection all the time. I also really enjoyed Rose's best friend who happens to be a guy, Dante. It's refreshing to have a guy/girl relationship that doesn't blur the lines between love and friendship. I couldn't put the book down and i can't wait to find out what Landry comes out with next!
*Reviewed on behalf of Once Upon An Alpha*
Profile Image for Keep Calm Novel On.
467 reviews62 followers
March 5, 2016
The Goodreads group Read It & Reap provided a copy of the ePub in exchange for an honest review.

Marie Landry’s contemporary new adult romance Something in the Air is Rose Morgan’s story. She has put her post-secondary dreams on hold to care for her controlling mother. She spends her days as a waitress and her evenings with her needy mother. Life has not been easy for Rose after her parents divorce. She is blessed to have a good friend in Dante. He is the chef at her place of employment. His friendship keeps her balanced and she is able to share her feelings with him. Dante is determined to help Rose move on.

Dante insists that Rose go out on the town with him on a Friday night. That night changes everything for her. Rose meets Declan Connelly—the Irishman is a captivating character. The connection between these two characters is immediate. Rose is certainly not ready for even a friendship at first. Fortunately Declan is patient.

This character driven novel follows Rose as she must make adult decisions. The secondary characters add depth as she reconnects with her father and his wife as well. As secrets are revealed, Rose’s life begins to move in a new direction. She desperately wants to move forward. Can she and will she? Will she be forever tied to her mother’s manipulative world. Will her mother’s selfishness deter her from happiness. Something in the Air is a quick and touching read.
April 9, 2017
4.5 stars*

I was not expecting to love this book as much as I did. I mean I LOVED IT! It was heartbreaking and heart warming at the same time. I loved Declan and how he supported Rose 100%. I also loved the friendship in this book. Dante was so sweet and made me want to have a best friend just like him. And then we have Rose's mom. I hated that women. I loved seeing Rose grow. She went from taking care of her mom to being her an adult, and taking care of herself.It was refreshing to see Rose stand up to her and take control of her life.
Profile Image for Cristina (My Tiny Obsessions).
470 reviews98 followers
November 8, 2015
Full review HERE

description

I was expecting to like this book a lot more than I actually did, and my problem was that I didn’t connect with most of the characters. This review will contain mild SPOILERS , sorry for that.

I really empathised with Rose’s situation, and while she was at home and had to deal with all the manipulation her mom did, I felt really bad for her. One thing I loved was her friendship with Dante, in fact, Dante was my favorite character of all of them. I liked that they were best friends and that nothing romantic ever went on with them. But I’ll tell you this: at one point in the book, when Dante starts acting weird, I actually thought they would go there, but nop ;-) .

Once Rose meets Declan and they start dating, things go way too fast. I don’t mean “oh, they went to bed too quickly”, no, I mean “omg, what do you mean? you’re moving in with the guy you’re dating after 2 dates?”. Yes, it happened. Ok, so they agree to be roommates, and they actually wait a long while to have sex, but still… It ends up kind of working for their relationship, given that the main focus of this book is not their romance, but Rose coming to her own and discovering what she wants to do.

As I said, I didn’t connect with the characters all that much. Rose was ok, but that was just it, ok. Declan, I really wanted to swoon over Declan, but I couldn’t. And mind you, my mental picture of him is something like this:

description

I’m assuming my mind created this mental image because of the amount of times that Declan says “aye” in this book, which is something that Sam Heughan says a lot in Outlander. And the curls, maybe those influenced as well. But still, Declan felt like a generic bad boy turned good, in love for the first time. He was super ok, but didn’t make my heart flutter. Sam Heughan however, totally does!

While I felt that Rose’s character did go through a good character development, and also felt that the initial situation could not have reached that critical level, so it was hard for me to connect that much. Also, I’m all for following your dreams, but I felt that she was more hell bent on proving to herself and her mom that she was not a settler, than actually realizing what to do with her life. But hey, that ok, she’s only 20.

I liked the writing, it flowed well and was easy to follow. This was also a very fast read.

I did have some troubles with the plot, and apart from the main characters, this is where my problems lay. I’ll tell you again, there will be SPOILERS here.

First of all, I felt that the situation with her father was totally ludicrous, because we live in the 21st century. I found it unbelievable that father and daughter wouldn’t have each others cell phones, and just the landline numbers – even with Rose’s mom manipulating the situation. Maybe it’s because it has been more than a decade since I actually called my dad or mom on a landline… Even if I could overlook the cell phone situation, what father can’t reach their daughter and doesn’t seek to see her (given how much he clearly loves her)? He knew where she lived, where she worked, he suspected that her mom was lying to her, why didn’t he just show up? I understand not wanting to make her mother look like the bad guy, but still, come on!

Other problem that I had, and I mentioned this, was how fast things moved between Declan and Rose. I get it, but still! When she found herself homeless and not able to rent a house, why didn’t she go to the diner to talk to Dante? Why didn’t she drive back to her dad’s? Why didn’t she found a room to rent? I get that Declan’s was there, available, easy, comfortable, but I thought it was a bit much. At some point they were spending almost 24 hours together… At least their relationship was cute, though i’ll admit that I didn’t feel the chemistry – maybe Right Where you Are ruined that for me .

Then Dante, my love, he became sort of a problem for me. At the point in the book that Rose and Declan start dating, Dante becomes absent, he starts picking up double shifts in the diner, and his boss apparently can’t hire another cook for over a month. So Dante loses his brilliance and energy and passion for life, and becomes quite unhappy. That’s when he decides to move to Greece. Well, I had so many problems with this. SO SO MANY! It bothered me that he didn’t even consider to search for his happiness right there, I get that moving away can be exciting, but I don’t think that the perspective of working under family is better than making it on your own. So Dante’s rash decision to move bothered me a bit. Also, I actually wanted to see him with Maura, which was something that we didn’t get a chance to do.

The ending I saw coming miles away, so I was upset when the author decided to throw that curveball in form of Declan’s letter. Maybe because I thought it was obvious what he was going to do, the only thing I didn’t know was the timing, but the fact that he was such a coward for those few hours really irked me.

By the way, I had a problem with the “I love you“‘s! And no, I’m not talking about Rose and Declan, but between Dante and Rose. I got it from the get go: these 2 are best friends and that’s it, so I didn’t feel the need to read “I love you. I would do anything for you.” 100 times during this book, sometimes, more than once in the same phrase. I think it’s weird. I love my best friend, but I don’t feel the need to tell her each time I’m talking to her, you know?

That’s it (uff, this turned out way longer than I thought it would)! I did enjoy the book, it had super sweet moments, and I know that if I had liked the characters more, some of this small problems wouldn’t even have registered. As it is, they did, that’s why this rating isn’t higher.
Profile Image for Cátia.
146 reviews24 followers
February 18, 2016
For more reviews click HERE

Actual Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

*I was provided a copy by the author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

When I started this book I hadn’t high expectations and good thing I didn’t because I had a lot of problems with this book. This book had a lot of potential but in the end it felt a little bit flat.

I had a lot of problems with things that happened but also with the characters. Rose has been settled in her life working to support herself and her mother. Rose’s mother was plain selfish. I don’t understand how a mother would do what she did to her own daughter. Just let me tell you, I loved Rose’s friendship with Dante. For me Dante was one of the best characters in the book. I had a little problem with their friendship but overall I really liked them together. Now her relationship with Declan it’s a whole different story. First of all, courting?? Really?? You want to court the girl? I thought it was really weird how many times they used the word court because the book is set in the present and no one asks a girl if he can court her. Also, I think that their relationship developed way too fast. Not the physical relationship but there were other things that happened that were weird because they happened way too fast. All of this became worse because of the lack of chemistry that Rose and Declan showed. I really liked other characters like Declan’s aunt and cousin and I would love if they had appeared a little bit more. Another thing I liked was to see Rose looking for something she liked and see her following her dreams. One thing I thought to be really anti-climatic was the ending. Something happened and the girl cried a lot but a few minutes later everything was fine. Why?? Why having a pseudo-drama that didn’t actually happened.

Overall, I had a few problems with this book. Yes it had a lot of potential but in the end it was a very forgetful story with a few problems.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 49 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.