Start by marking “Icefields” as Want to Read:
Icefields

Icefields

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  552 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Icefields is a story of adventure and discovery that unfolds amidst the stunning beauty of the Canadian Rockies. Presented within the frame of a tourist guidebook, this novel records life in the mountains, as time and the coming of the railroad slowly transform the settlement of Jasper from a place of myth and legend to a modern tourist town. Exhaustively researched, this ...more
Published May 16th 1995 by NeWest Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Icefields, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Icefields

Megs
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't read outdoorsy books. I'm much more of a fantasy/historical fiction kind of girl. That said, I loved Icefields! Loved it! Wharton did an amazing job. It was historical, geological and unsettling.
Sara
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in grade 10 English Honors (yeah that's right).

I remember the author came to our classroom and we asked him about some of the 'metaphors' our teacher told us about. He told us that they weren't intended to be metaphors. That's when I realized that writers write and readers find the meaning. Especially if you're teaching an Honors class.
Ryan
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A pleasant surprise. A quiet, thoughtful book that is driven by its mystery. I wish it were longer.
Debra
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can see why this book's format isn't for everyone, but Michael Wharton is such a lyrical writer. And I don't care for cold any more than I enjoy heat. Nonetheless, he made me want to visit glaciers.
Jenn
Nov 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: school, canadian
Alberta at the end of the 19th century. Descriptions of glaciers. Zero plot. Not a terribly engaging read.
Kelly
Mar 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Wharton was the writer in residence my second year of university and he was such a cool and inspirational guy. I loved Icefields - vivid Canadiana wrapped up in a fantastic story.

Kayleigh
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book for a university English course and must say, it was magic. I absolutely loved and so has everyone I recommended it to.
Christina
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an inspiring journey through glacial landscapes, the development of glaciology and through life. Despite the sub-theme of human destruction of this icy wilderness it is a heartwarming story.
Leigh Collins
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both the personal stories and the story of the glaciers and ice fields were captivating.
Susan
On my second reading of this, I found more of interest in this book. I picked in for my college discussion group, but, unfortunately, there were a lot of absences, and, of the small group that showed up, no one liked it. Very disappointing discussion and class.
Lisa  Shamchuk
A beautiful book with excellent characters and a vivid setting - it left me wanting more from the Jasper glacier!
Catherine Franssens
beautifully written little book that masters the craft of subtlety
Alison Hardtmann
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
That's what he called himself once, the summer her left for the war, and I'd laughed. Glaciologist. I'd never heard the word before. I'd never considered there might be others like him, scientists who studied only glaciers. I thought he was the one man on earth who bothered that much with them, that this science was his alone, that he had invented it. Arcturology. The science of being distant, and receding a little every year.

The book takes place during the first two decades of the last century
Cheryl Andrews
This book was a Canada Reads selection in 2008, defended by astronaut Steve MacLean. I’m sorry I missed it then, and pleased that I finished reading Wharton’s debut novel (published in 1995) this morning. I now want to read everything he’s written since!

I was as intrigued by the story as the author’s writing style, as matter of fact and minimalistic as the opening line, “At a quarter past three in the afternoon, on August 17, 1898, Doctor Edward Byrne slipped on the ice of Arcturus Glacier in th
rabbitprincess
Nov 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who like very episodic narratives
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: Canada Reads/Steve Maclean
* * 1/2

After 90 pages, I'm abandoning this book. When I first picked it up, I was looking forward to the descriptions of glaciers and the adventuring/mountaineering in Alberta at the end of the 19th/beginning of the 20th century. And the first part of the book certainly delivered, with a scientific expedition and one Dr. Byrne falling into a crevasse. However, once Byrne had recovered from that and the story moved on to other threads, I lost interest.

It also did not help that the story is told i
Al
Aug 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We just returned from a hiking vacation in Banff and vicinity. While there, I was in a bookstore and asked the proprietor to recommend something uniquely Canadian. This was her suggestion, and it was a good one.
The protagonist is a doctor who first visits Jasper in 1898 as a young man, where he has a traumatic and life-changing experience, falling into a crevasse while ice-climbing. He survives, and is haunted by an image he saw in the ice while waiting (hoping) to be rescued. The book follows
Sue Q

Borrowed from the Ontario Library Service Consortium

This book was like a dream, combining both fact and fiction. It told the story of life on ice near Jasper at a time that developers were competing to bring the railway and roads in, while the environmentalist tried to study and protect the melting glaciers. Added in was a story of something that was glimpsed - angel like - while hanging upside down in an ice crevice and the methodical planning and researching of ice to see when the ice would be
Ann
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book transports you back in time when people were just beginning to travel to the Rockies for leisure, and naturalists were drawn to the unspoiled icefields. The author depicts the power of nature to draw men back again and again to see what will be revealed to them with the passage of time, and touches on the spiritual identity of the landscape.
The main character, Dr. Byrne, is enthralled by the icefields, and spends his life trying to replicate or revisit an early experience of their powe
Christy
Of everything I enjoyed the imagery and the italics of this book.

The italics were different peoples poetry or journal entries throughout. They were personalized, raw and didn't always make sense until I read them again. Ordinarily that would frustrate me but in this book it intrigued me.

The imagery was appealing because of course it's an entire book about ice. How many different ways can one describe their surroundings when they are surrounded by ice? Well, you'd be surprised my friends.

My tro
Stephanie
Forced to read this book for a Contemporary Literature class in college. Also, I wrote a BANGIN' essay on this book, if I do say so myself.

Frankly, the topic of my essay is all this book was really good for, Nature Imagery and it's relation to the characters. This book was incredibly slow reading, and I really don't like pages and pages of imagery description, so that made it worse. I did enjoy the characters and their relationships, but they were few and far between the on-going prattle about i
LibraryCin
1.5 stars. I really wanted to like this book. It is set in Jasper, Alberta (I live in Calgary). It starts off with Doctor Byrne climbing a nearby glacier and falling into a crevasse in 1898, so it sounds promising. But alas - I could never get into it! My mind wandered the entire time I read it, so I had trouble concentrating and following what was going on. I do know that Doctor Byrne (an Englishman) returned to Jasper years later and was studying the glaciers. There were lots of other characte ...more
Mackenzie Cook
This books was artful in it's description of Canadian environment. The delivery of the story with short sections of plot that flip-flop between characters make the story difficult to follow. The writing is modern and assumes that the reader is immersed enough in the text to be able to envision the details of the story. However the subject of mystique found in the vastness of wild, is intriguing. I found the historical elements that Wharton pulls into the book somewhat problematic, in some cases ...more
Shannon
Feb 28, 2010 rated it liked it
A book about obsession and visions. It has a dreamlike quality to it and is a gentle read even if not all aspects are peaceful or gentle, its more the language is gentle. The imagery is wonderful the plot is slow (glacial?). I think I would have liked it a bit better with a bit more depth to the characters but in a sense they are secondary to the glacier itself and the secrets it holds.

I really liked the Dr's obsession with the glacier and his measuring and waiting for it to creep forward and se
Dec 22, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Icefields was chosen for Canada Reads 2008 on CBC by the Canadian astronaut Steve MacLean. I picture glaciers of 100 years ago as these thick, impenetrable expanses of ice, but the author must see things differently. He has chosen to tell this story in fragments of journals, newspaper clippings, and narrative accounts. Wharton has also drawn on about six different myths to get him through. I feel like this book suffers from the author including too much. The story is too busy and left me wanting ...more
Alexis
Dec 23, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really, really wanted to like this book because the author wrote it when he was living two hours away from where I live now. It's all about the discovery of the Jasper Icefields and various characters living in the icefields. This means that there was a lot of snow and ice in the book, which meant that I was cold the whole time I read it.

Just couldn't get into this book. Perhaps I will read it in the summertime when it's really, really hot.
Lovisa
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The back of my edition has a review by Jack Hodgins in which he states. "This is an uncommonly beautiful novel." I must agree. The characters and settings are each described in a haunting manner that kept my mind on them even when I put this book down for weeks at a time. Whilst at first the structure of short disjointed chapters often no longer than paragraphs felt strange by the end I found it created beautiful glimpses into a dreamlike depiction of ever changing ice.
Maryanne Henderson
This book was a disappointment compared to its reputation. I found the characters to be indistinct and difficult to care about. The one element of the book that it was easy to care about, however, were the icefields themselves. Wharton has woven the history of the icefields into this novel and it is particularly compelling as we see the impact of climate change and the tourist development that has passed legislation here in Alberta.
Catherine Siemann
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Wharton's Salamander; this one I liked. Centering on the inhabitants of an area on the edge of a glacier in the Canadian Rockies, in the early 20th century, it deals with both the fascination of the unknown, the paradise lost of development and of connections not made. The minimalist writing style is effective, but somehow keeps the reader distanced from the characters. Really 3 1/2 stars.
catechism
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, o-canada
Kept me cool on a too-hot day. Lyrical and strange and disjointed and certainly not for everyone, but I liked the characters (typically, I was most interested in the women) and the Canadiana. A pretty fast read and more than worth the $1.50 I paid for it at some used bookstore in some city not mine.
Matt Heavner
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic novel -- it got better and better. The glaciology was enjoyable, but the glacier was secondary. This was a very sparsely written, almost surrealistic novel that sparked my imagination and a "fill in the blank" reading. Actually, the glaciology was great, the reading was really fun. This is a great look at humanity and mythology. Wow!
  • From The Fifteenth District
  • Riding with Rilke: Reflections on Motorcycles and Books
  • The Song of Kahunsha
  • The Double Hook
About Me
I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and I write books for grown-ups and kids. The Shadow of Malabron, the first volume in my trilogy The Perilous Realm, is available now in Canada, the UK, and the US.
More about Thomas Wharton...