Start by marking “Out of Left Field: How the Mariners Made Baseball Fly in Seattle” as Want to Read:
Out of Left Field: How the Mariners Made Baseball Fly in Seattle

Out of Left Field: How the Mariners Made Baseball Fly in Seattle

This colorful book chronicles the Seattle Mariners' rise from basement to penthouse in major league baseball and Seattle's transition from funky burg to a major city of baseball fanatics. It's all here - the lawsuits, the crazy confluence of sports and ego and civic destiny, and of course, superstars Ichiro, A-Rod, Randy Johnson, and Ken Griffey. Seattle sportswriter Art T ...more
Published September 24th 2003 by Sasquatch Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Out of Left Field, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Left Field

Start your review of Out of Left Field: How the Mariners Made Baseball Fly in Seattle
Benjamin
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This could've easily been a fluff piece about the Seattle Mariners rise to prominence in the Northwest. Instead, it turned out to be a very thoughtful look at the politics involved behind the scenes in professional sports and the relationship between a city and its sports teams (for better or for worse).
Tiffany
Jul 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mariners fans
Shelves: history, northwest, sports
The history of the Mariners, from the start to the glory days of 1995 (Griffey, Edgar, Buhner, Danny ... *sigh* Those were the good days) to Ichiro and 2003.
Jeffrey
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I haven't read a lot of sports books, much less one that is 10 years old, but Out of Left Field was a fun book to read on several levels--particularly as a long-suffering Mariners fan.
Thiel does a good job of recapping what a pathetic franchise the Mariners were and how they became a powerhouse. What I like best is the book leaves us at the end of the Pinella era when the fan base was huge and optimism ran high.
It's also good to see in retrospect how much the present CEO, Howard Lincoln, is resp
Philip
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
A fun read for me, providing a lot of details of the mythology I had come to think I knew. Well researched, paced and constructed, it is a must for any Mariner's fan ��� even if it only carries to 2003. AND, I survived reading it despite Thiel's penchant for the BA BA BUM CH overwrought/silly metaphor at the end of almost every paragraph. Although, when he didn't do that �����some Mariner's front office man, player or politico provided it for him. I love this game!

Philip Swanstrom Shaw
Moira
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baseball, nonfiction
This book is probably only interesting to me, but I love the hell out of it. Art Thiel is one of my favorite Seattle sportswriters and his talents are put to great use here. Sadly, at this point it also serves to make me incredibly depressed when I think about the current state of the Mariners. My GOD, will we ever have decent starting pitching?
Kenneth Gura
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
When I first pick this book, I was skeptical. As I finished the first couple chapters, I was pleasently surprised. These are the type of books I enjoy the most. A complete history of teams from start to present. All the good and bad throughout the orginization, sometimes city politics mixed in. As a resident of a suburb of Cleveland, it is nice to see
Garrick Andy
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: reading-now
I am currently reading this book right now and i really like it. This book is about the Seattle Mariners and there franchise through the years and how it has gone through tough and good times. And how the front office of the Mariners and the posibilities of them moving the team
Merciful
Jun 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Art Thiel ROCKS! My favorite sports journalist ever. He's funny as hell, too, and takes the time to answer his email - I really like that!

This history of the Seattle Mariners (who are whuppin LA as I write this) is a thrilling account of a refuse to lose team.
Blair
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Seattle Mariners formed a lifelong bond with me in 1995 when I was 8 years old. How could I not love the story of their origins, struggles, near-departure, and ultimate triumph (1995 and 2001)?
Filth
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it
a good enough read. loses points for the faulty premise of making baseball "fly in seattle" though.
Danjel Lessard
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Opened up many different views into why the Ms are the way (and where) they are today. AND maybe what they could be in the near future..?!
Jackchristopherhill
May 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mariners, local-books, mlb
boring
Kristin
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's a little slow reading but so much fun to relive the early days and the more recent fun days. It gives you reason to keep cheering with hopes for the future.
Christian
Aug 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
A well-written and fascinating look at the rise of the Mariners. Definitely of interest to die-hard Mariners fans, even during this dismal season!
Stephen
Mar 09, 2010
Tom
Oct 28, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Godforsaken Sea: The True Story of a Race Through the World's Most Dangerous Waters
  • Win Forever
  • The Bullpen Gospels: A Non-Prospect's Pursuit of the Major Leagues and the Meaning of Life
  • The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics
  • The Greatest Gambling Story Ever Told: A True Tale of Three Gamblers, The Kentucky Derby, and the Mexican Cartel
  • Never Split the Difference