Jump to ratings and reviews
Lark Singer is seventeen years old and already on the way to a brilliant music career. As she and her band, Starlight, gear-up for an upcoming, life-changing band competition, though, life seems to be throwing her a few curve balls.

The mysteries of her past seem to be unraveling, and she’s no longer certain she wants to know those answers, or how knowing about her past will affect her difficult relationship with her mother. And when her best friend, Bean, changes things between them, all her plans for a musical future are placed in jeopardy. How can she balance her unraveling personal life to keep her musical goals on track?

123 pages, Kindle Edition

9 books175 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 29 of 29 reviews
Profile Image for Sarah Elizabeth.
4,670 reviews1,269 followers
October 21, 2015
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Lisa Orchard.)

“Don’t worry, Francine. No one in the band does drugs.”

This was a good second instalment, and I was so excited to finally find out who Lark’s father was!

“I’ll tell you the whole story, but you’ve got to promise me that you will not contact him in any way.”

Lark was once again very stubborn and headstrong in this book, she knew what she wanted, and she was determined to get it, both in relation to finding her father, and winning the American Singer contest. I was a bit upset at the way she once again lied to her mother, and I really wanted her to support her mother more, after all she had given up for her. She was at the end of the day a teenager though, so it’s probably wishful thinking!

“I know you’re lying.”

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

The storyline in this once again revolved around Lark trying to find out who her father really was, and practicing for the American Singer contest. The storyline concerning Bean and his possibly drug habit was gone into in much more detail, and I could see how hard it was for Lark to see her best friend lie to her the way he did. Bean’s behaviour in this book really was shocking!
There was a touch of romance in this, although it also had a bit of a sting to it…

“He stares deep into my eyes and I swear he can see right into my soul. Then he kisses me.”

The ending to this was good, and I was so happy that we got to find out who Lark’s father is! Everybody who read book 1 and wondered about his identity should really pick this up to find out, because it really is revealed at the end of this book!

“Well. The answer to your questions is…” She pauses and tears fill her eyes. “Yes.”

Overall; Lark’s life is no song and dance as her father’s identity is revealed!!
7.5 out of 10
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,765 reviews579 followers
December 14, 2014
Once again, Lisa Orchard nails the very soul of being a conflicted teen caught between loyalty to her friends, her mother and her desire to know more about secrets that are kept just out of her reach. Lark is a talented musician, with a band good enough to play for small crowds, but even her drummer/best friend is acting strange. Some say he is involved with drugs, but lark refuses to believe it, until certain events cause her to question the boy she has known and trusted forever, right when their relationship seems to be taking a romantic turn.

Lark’s relationship with her mother is strained, they are all each other have and this further confuses and stresses Lark. She craves independence, but misses the closeness she once shared with her mother. When a box full of secrets from her mother’s past is revealed, Lark searches for keys to learning the identity of her father. Being a teen is hard enough, but when your world starts to spin faster than you can keep up with, where is that safe place to land? Where is a place of quiet and peace? Why is everyone changing?

Lark Singer by Lisa Orchard is another trip down memory lane for adults, as all the trials of being emotionally too young to be an adult and too old to act like a child come back full force. Ms. Orchard’s world is far too realistic not to be drawn in, heart, line and sinker! She has woven a tale of growing pains and coming of age in a time when outside forces are taking potshots at a teen’s best intentions. Even better, there is no preaching, just a wonderfully and timely story designed for a young adult audience that can be related to and enjoyed by all ages. Would I recommend this for my grandchildren? Definitely! It’s so nice to be able to share this and not have to cringe about what they might read!

I received this copy from Lisa Orchard in exchange for my honest review.

Series: The Starlight Chronicles - Book 2
Publication Date: December 6, 2014
Publisher: esKape Press
Genre: YA Romance
Print Length: 123 pages
Available from: AmazonBarnes & Noble
Reviewed for: http://tometender.blogspot.com

Profile Image for Aneesa.
191 reviews17 followers
July 31, 2015
I received this book in an exchange for an honest review

STARLIGHT!!!!

I loved this book and thoroughly enjoyed it more than the first one, I loved all the adorable scenes between Bean and Lark! And the music? Boy was that intense!

description

Finally! It was about time Lark opened the box and finds out who her father is. The way it was going, I was thinking I would reach the end of the book and never find out!

The only thing bad about this was the denial Lark kept telling herself especially when she could see all the signs and the warning lights going in her head! I really wanted to shake her out of that mode!
Profile Image for Abbie.
1,976 reviews584 followers
June 3, 2015
Actual rating - 3.5

Lark was an okay character in this, although I did think she was a bit naive at times. It was obvious what was happening regarding one of her friends, but she just wouldn't believe it. I just wanted her to open her eyes and see what was really happening.

This installment was better than the first. It didn't seem to drag quite as much, and the progress with finding out who her father was definately made things a bit more interesting.

Looking forward to how things pan out in book three.
Profile Image for Megan.
1,474 reviews187 followers
November 1, 2015
I thought this was an okay continuation to the series. It's on the shorter side which was nice since it made it very easy to read, however it seemed very repetitive (I don't know how many times I was told that after Lark jammed she got extremely hungry, but it was a lot). So this book wasn't as enjoyable to me as the first book, Gideon Lee, but I did still like it somewhat thus the three stars.

I still liked Lark, but she did seem more naive in this book and unwilling to see what was right in front of her, but in some ways that was understandable. I did like that the identity of Lark's father is revealed and who it is was surprising!

I think fans of YA contemporary novels should enjoy this book, but you definitely should read them in order.

I received a complimentary copy of this book to review. I was asked to give my honest opinion of the book - which I have done.
520 reviews14 followers
June 14, 2015
It was better than the first book and a bit more engaging. My first thought in reading the second book was that how realistic it was including the emotions. The things Lark is going through with her personal life and with her bandmates. Despite Lark having an improvement in personality there were some things that never changed.

Of course, while there might be good things happening there were more not so good things happening like with her relationship with her mother, the secrets of finding who her father is, and don't forget the biggest one, the thing that involves Bean. I wished she would just open her eyes because even though Bean and Lark have their sweet moments, I don't think it will work out the way Bean's heading. I just hoped it won't come to that and that Lark will see that.

I can't wait to see how the next book goes.

I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Sharon Mariampillai.
1,964 reviews85 followers
October 5, 2015
I received a copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

Actual Rating: 4.35

This is a great read. It is a YA contemporary story with music infused to it. I love the MC. Lark Singer is a strong willed girl with the hopes of one day becoming a rock star and finding her biological father. I thought the story was great. The secondary characters were great as well. Also, I thought the ending was good. I am glad to find out the identity of her father. . Now, it's her chance to be a rock star. The only thing that bothered me was Bean's behaviour and Lark's trust in Bean when he doesn't deserve it at all. Overall, a quick read. Thank you Lisa Orchard for the opportunity to read this book.
Profile Image for Lisa Orchard.
Author 9 books175 followers
December 13, 2014
I loved writing this story and watching Lark grow and change through out it. This is a great coming of age story that tells the tale of overcoming obstacles and getting through setbacks to follow your dreams. Every teen should read this series!
Profile Image for Romancing the Book.
4,420 reviews210 followers
February 2, 2016
Reviewed by JoAnne
Book provided by the author for review
Originally posted at Romancing the Book

This is the continuation of the Starlight Chronicles series and flows smoothly from book one, Gideon Lee, which I also enjoyed. We are back with Lark, Bean and Stevie whose band is still practicing for the competition which is now only a few weeks to go. We are immersed in their practice sessions both at Pearl’s, where they play 70’s and 80’s music, and in Lark’s garage, where they play the music they’ve composed. Lark’s mom, Francine, her boyfriend and boss, Bill, as well as Bean’s brother, Brian, are also part of the story as well as Lark’s new friend, Cassie. There’s the normal angst of high school and home demands, peer pressure and parties as well as all the practicing their band does so they can win the competition.

We find out who Lark’s father is and why she doesn’t have a relationship with him. There’s also some thefts going on of money and jewelry from Lark’s house and the finger points towards Bean but she’s in denial and doesn’t want to confront him. Comments in passing aren’t sinking in and Lark and her mom are at odds about it. Lark and Bean’s relationship is getting stronger but will this set it back? There are family and friends, competition, high school drama, lots of music and music terminology, pressures, anger, denial, angst, secrets, drugs, curfews, promises, parental concerns, relationships and some romance. There is some closure but enough loose ends to bring us to book three in the series. Will there be a happily ever after?

Orchard is a fairly new to me author only having read the first two books in this series. I look forward to reading the next book in the series, Starlight, and seeing how they do in the competition. Starlight is also the name of their band.

Favorite Quote: Sending a riff his way, I relax and get into the mood. I love this song and the music pulls me into its magical world of chords and melodies. The crowd disappears and I’m flying high above them. So high that I disappear.
Profile Image for Kristina Applegate.
118 reviews2 followers
March 14, 2016
Lark’s story continues and her band’s talent only gets to be more amazing. The energy flows through each stroke of their guitars and drums, the lyrics still growing inside of her. With the musical competition looming right around the corner Lark’s band, now named Starlight, take every chance they can get to practice and play Pearl’s to practice performing live in front of an audience. Things are getting more and more complicated with Bean, and it’s just a matter of time before Lark’s life is about to take a major spin. She’s found hidden pictures that may very well be her father and her relationship with her mother is getting more and more tense has her mother keeps dating her boss, a man Lark believes could be bad news for everybody involved. Bean is getting more secretive and it could cost them everything they have worked so hard for.

By the second book, Lark and all the characters involved have grown and I’ve found that I was unable to put the book down. The first book was really slow, and took me a while to get through it, the second book moved much quicker. It’s hard to watch Lark’s relationship with her mother almost break and then to watch Bean ruining his life and those around him saddened me. I’m glad that I had access to the third book, because I continued reading, wanting to see Bean make some right choices and see if Lark could repair her relationship with her mother. Not to mention the musical competition that is growing near. By this time, I’m completely drawn into Lark’s life and find myself needing to know what happens next. I’ve grown attached to her story.

*I received a free ecopy of this book in exchange for an honest review*
Profile Image for Melanie Adkins.
789 reviews16 followers
March 5, 2015
Stevie, Bean and Lark makeup the band Starlight. They are preparing for their first competition. The winner of the competition gets a trip to New York and so much more. Lark is trying to keep her mind on the band, it's not easy though. She still has questions about her father. Her mother made her promise not to contact him.
Meanwhile, something is going on with Bean. He's late for rehearsals and disappears for hours. Lark thinks it's because of his older brother. She's in for a big shock and many changes. Follow her on her journey.

Three dimensional characters and fantastic writing make this book an interesting read. I loved being able to see where Lark went with the knowledge of who her father was. It was a shock to read what happens to one of the band members. Never expected it. Your heart will go out to these kids. The journey is well worth the read.

I found no issues with this one.

I gave this one 5 cheers out of 5 because it held my attention throughout. ~Copy of book provided by author in exchange for a fair review~
Profile Image for Rebecca Austin.
2,976 reviews3 followers
June 11, 2016
This is the second book in Lisa Orchard's trilogy and you must read Gideon Lee first.

In this book Lark is beginning to get closer to the competition but things are getting a bit crazy in her life. Her mom, Francine, no longer wants people in their house due to some things vanishing and Lark is not sure what is going on with Bean.

Then of course Lark doesn't give up on her quest for information on her dad but if she discovers the truth will it bring her and her mom closer or further apart?

With her arch enemy Dwayne McIntyre entering the competition Lark knows her Stevie and Bean have to be ready with their A game!

This book was great and really got you a glimpse inside Lark's life and also her mom Francine's. I loved how Lark really got to see what her mom went through in raising her and why. Such a beautiful moment between them.

I can't imagine what Lark was feeling with Bean as they were beginning to have a real relationship yet she knew he was holding back from her and that truly frightened her.

Such a great story and I can't wait to see how it concludes!
Profile Image for Laura Smith.
598 reviews19 followers
February 22, 2015
This book was gifted by the author for an honest review.

Lark Singer is the 2nd book in the Starlight Chronicles and what a fantastic book this was!

It carries on straight from the first book where Lark and her band mates, Bean and Stevie are still practising like mad for the big band competition and Lark is still trying to dig up the past and find out who her really father is. Her relationship with her mother is still fraught but thankfully, her love for Bean keeps her sane.

When Bean begins to change and things between them are going further, Lark must keep her head about her to be able to juggle her personal life along with her potential future career.

An amazing sequel in the series and I'm glad I’ve already got the 3rd book so I don’t have to wait to see how the story unfolds.

A well-deserved 5 Stars.
Profile Image for Stacey.
971 reviews13 followers
March 10, 2016
what do you do when one of the main people you trusted stole from you but not only you but your family .
do you call them out on it or let it slide and deny the truth .
or do you tell them to either get help or lose the friendship that they have had since childhood .
and what if by doing that it hurts the band but also to live a lie is to allow the stealing to continue .
so what is a girl to do . deny the truth or face it .
also why is a girl befriending her and why and could she be related to her father and if so would that make the siblings or cousins or could it be another man .
and why wont her mom tell her who her father is ,.
find out by reading and reviewing and stay tuned to Starlight book 3 in the series
Profile Image for Raychel.
253 reviews
March 7, 2016
Lark Singer picks up where Gideon Lee ends, again I am back at that stage in life were you aren't a child but not an adult....teenage years are tough. Lark is in a journey to find out about herself, she might not realize it yet but she is. As she is put into a situation were it could end a friendship, she has some choices to make and I'm not sure she is going to like the outcome until later in life. I really like the development of the relationship with her mother and I feel a bond because I think every girl goes through it. The writing was smooth and nicely written.
Profile Image for old account (rl).
394 reviews
June 4, 2018

This sequel was much more enjoyable than Gideon Lee. I don't know what changed but despite Lark's annoying rants and rages, she seemed to have really developed from the previous book. I also found the plot more engaging. There was an added emotional angle and a little mystery to keep us reading. The story flowed really well and sucked you in.

I have to say that I quite enjoyed this and I am really looking forward to the next sequel. I don't know when the release date is but I am hoping it won't be too far away!
Profile Image for R. Colora.
Author 3 books13 followers
March 17, 2016
Review for Starlight, Gideon Lee and Lark Singer:
First let me start by saying that I appreciate all the hard work and dedication it takes to write a book, I like reading ARC’s because it gives me a chance to read something outside of my normal genre so here where my dislikes and likes about the book
Formatting was good, not sure if it was because it was an ARC but when I turned my iPad sideways it made the page weird and I had to scroll down to finish the page, I’m someone who reads in the tub, in bed, while waiting in the car rider line to pick up my kids it probably wouldn’t have gotten n anyone else nerves I know I’m a weirdo.
Grammar and Punctuation were good, nothing stuck out as strange as I read.
Cover, the covers where good with great colors and eye catching fonts.
Characters, the characters where hard to like the, the main Heroine and her love best friend turned love interest and the weird bully guy that she hated but was always around were boring.
Story flow, it felt a little all over the place major events were glossed over like the “hero” death while her dislike for the bully character was harped on over and over and the bully was a grade a creeper.
I think a teenager would love this book because it gets right to the meat of the story and doesn’t make you really think about what is going to happen.
I would say for its intended audience this would be a strong 3.75 for adult readers it might not it the mark.

Profile Image for Shelle Perry.
480 reviews30 followers
March 14, 2016
Lark Singer, is much better than the first book. This story picks up hours after the previous one ends and once again revolves around the band competition and Lark’s quest to learn the identity of her father. The twist in this story is that Lark’s mother is convinced that Bean is stealing from them and she fears it is to support a drug habit. Lark has a new found, maybe not respect, but rather a regard for her mother. She knows her mother is probably right, but being a typical teen and the years of Bean being her closest friend has her wanting to believe his vague excuses.

The characters are so much more filled in and show real growth. Lark is imminently more likable in this volume and feels more like an angsty teen rather than a deliberate pain in the behind. Her mom, with her avoidance behavior was as much of the problem in their relationship as Lark. Yet, in this story she seems to be trying for a more traditional maternal approach and it is doing both of them wonders. I am thinking that Bean is going to be a problem in the not too far future.

I suppose that it is a good thing that Lark finds out who her dad is, but I can’t help but wonder if her mother was right in keeping him a secret. Once again this story ended abruptly, but now that there is precedence it doesn’t seem as stark.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Book Review Virginia Lee.
95 reviews26 followers
May 28, 2016
This is a continuation of Gideon Lee story. Within this second book we see where the characters have grown up. Starlight Larks band is trying to get in as much practice as they can for the big musical completion that they are preparing for. The want to get some exposure to playing in front of audience so they got a gig at the Pearls. Secrets are becoming more and more dangerous to the welfare of the band. Will they be able to survive with the lies an secrets that get undercover. Will Lark be able to recover her relationship with her mother? The discovering the identity of her father will it break her or make her stronger? Will the secrets that Bean is hiding will this destroy the band?
Cant wait to read book 3. Recommend this book

How would you describe the plot of this book? some twist
Which of these words best describes the mood? Suspenseful
How would you describe the pace? steady
How would you describe the characters? developed
* I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review *
Profile Image for Virginia Lee.
1,435 reviews29 followers
May 28, 2016
Cant wait to read book 3. Recommend this book

How would you describe the plot of this book? some twist
Which of these words best describes the mood? Suspenseful
How would you describe the pace? steady
How would you describe the characters? developed
* I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review *
Profile Image for Angelica Lichtner.
199 reviews1 follower
March 18, 2016
I must say that this book is better than the first one in the series which I am happy about! I have a better feeling and feel more happy after finished reading it. It is still pretty avarage and dont stick out but it is still enjoyable to read even for an adult. This is a quick read and I did read it in one sitting. Even if it is better the main character of the book annoy the hell out of me and I really cant connect with her and maybe that is one of the things that make me less hyped over the book. But she is naive and, sorry, stupid and I just want to smack her hard, with a chair, made of iron, in the head.

The first book didnt make me feel much and thing book maked me more annoyed and frustrated but it made me feel and I can write about it. But so far, this series is pretty boring and I can see that the audience is to young adults, maybe young adults who hasnt read so much and want something easy to get them into reading. I dont know but still, this is not a book for me.
Profile Image for Bethany Swafford.
Author 13 books78 followers
August 7, 2015
Coming into a series in the middle is never easy, but I easily understood what had happened (more or less) in the first book. I found Lark to be an interesting character, if a little naive and far too willing to turn a blind eye to her friend's problem with drugs. I liked her connection to the music but there were several terms that were repeated: "riff", "jam", etc. The end was abrupt but I have a fairly good idea what happens in the next book.

You can see my full review at More Than a Review dot com where I rate the level of sex, violence, language and drug/alcohol use in books.
Profile Image for United Indie Book Blog.
4,227 reviews78 followers
March 9, 2016

review by Raychel
Profile Image for A. McCarty.
Author 16 books41 followers
April 1, 2016
Lark Singer is a better read than the first in the series. It held my attention much better and I really enjoyed it. I am so glad I read this one. I loved how much better the story flowed and the journey was one worth continuing in this book.

I, Amber McCarty (Imaginative Dreams), was given a copy for an honest review.
Profile Image for Peggy.
2,137 reviews37 followers
March 17, 2016
**SPOILER FREE**

The plot continues with Lark and her life.. How much can she deal with as with as her career is taking off... You don't want to miss out on this book as it will have you wanting more!

*Received for an honest review*
Displaying 1 - 29 of 29 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.