Start by marking “The Bruise-Black Sky (More Heat Than the Sun, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Bruise-Black Sky (More Heat Than the Sun, #5)

The Bruise-Black Sky

(More Heat Than the Sun #5)

Ben usually overlooks Nikolas's occasionally jarring dissonance. Not this time. A deep rift, a terrible lie, separates them. Eleven thousand miles from Nikolas, in New Zealand, it's bitter winter as Ben films the tragic story of a post-apocalyptic gladiator, a victim of his own personal darkness. But on receiving a death threat, Ben suspects the truth of actor Oliver White ...more
Published March 20th 2015 by MLR Press (first published March 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Bruise-Black Sky, please sign up.
John Wiltshire Hi, the book is available from MLR Press:

and Amazon:

I'm not very tech…more
Hi, the book is available from MLR Press:

and Amazon:

I'm not very tech savvy so I don't know how to make those links better, but they are on my website too:
johnwiltshire.co.nz(less)

Baba
3.5 stars. Review posted March 26, 2015

photo oie_L5MaOqDftf90_zpsxxqazfh7.gif
 photo oie_uOY66fKPTyFO_zpsjjz9chkg.gif

I still love Nik and Ben, both as a couple and individually, but unfortunately I didn't love this fifth installment in the More Heat Than the Sun series. Fact was, I liked it but there wasn't enough "meat" to the story. To be fair, while reading The Bruise-Black Sky, I've been in a very bad place mentally. So much atrocious shit (sorry for my French) was going on at GR that I've had a hard time focusing on anything else, let alone on a book. Given the fact
Ingie
Written October 3, 2015

4.2 Stars - As always I'd my heart in my throat and was completely stunned and enchanted by these men and their amazing intense life and love-story

Book #5

Back to this one after a two months long "pause" and so worth it. Happydancing once again. ~ I'm almost embarrassing ridiculously in love with these (book) guys.
description description description description

‘Nikolas was a bit of a force of nature, like air—as Ben had once told him. Not breathing, he missed it.’

****************************************************
Renée
Reread 1/31/17 and 2/23/19 - I understood a lot more this time around.

Original review:
I honestly don't know what to say. My head hurts. I feel emotionally wrung out. Completely hungover. And not all in a good way.

I think this will take at least 3 rereads, and then I might understand WTF happened in this book! Maybe....

John Wiltshire's writing is amazing and really speaks to me. There is a lot I don't always get because we have Danish, Russian, English vernacular. But that never affects me in th
Tina

„Disbelievingly, Ben saw that they were canopied by a mass of stars, the Milky Way spiralling above them in the clear summer sky. Nikolas was kissing slowly around Ben’s ear and down his neck in time to their slow steps.
In all the years he’d known Nikolas and all the things they’d done together, Ben wondered if this moment was the one he’d remember at the final count of days. It was an occasion for declarations of something, proposals perhaps…A time to say..."

OMG… How I’ve waited for this book
Breann
3.5

"Hello, Benjamin"

Unf.

Gets me every time.

While this wasn't my favorite of the series (maybe even my least favorite?), it still had the major components I'm coming to expect from this series.
• I love Ben & Nik. There's no denying that they are phenomenal together, they have crazy chemistry and their sex is just off-the-fucking-charts hot.
• There were so many laugh out loud moments, these usually surrounded a conversation between Nik and some youngster he couldn't understand.
• I was hit w
A.B. Gayle
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Compared to Book 4 which is my favourite so far, this is probably a 4.5. Still a great read, but the other was brilliant.

I suspect this book is very much a set-up for Book 6 and that might explain a feeling of loose ends and confusion. It is still a satisfying read but I haven't had dessert yet.

Maybe I scoffed this one down too fast! Lol. I might need to go back for a re-read.

I loved the new characters. All of them. Okay, maybe not Kristina.

There were some shocking moments, but I'm with Pet. I c
Em
"You're not very good at punishing me, Benjamin. You don't have the dedication it takes to be severe enough. And yet you have a master to learn from."

I had hoped that things would become clearer after sleeping on it but I think I'm even more confused now about what happened in the last part of the book. I have more questions now than I did for all he other books put together, which is actually a good thing as I love trying to work out puzzles and it'll make me look forward to the next book eve
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Full Buddy Review with BJ on Prism Book Alliance

Chapter one: I’ve already gotten some of the things I love about Nik and Ben, about this series, about John Wiltshire’s writing.

Sometimes his decision to entirely corral and control Nikolas was subverted by the fathomless depths of the love he held for him.

As if I could forget! But it’s looooooovely to be reminded. These two have known and, yeah, loved each other for nearly a decade now, and yet, they and Wiltshire continue to surprise and gut me.
Adam
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the weakest installment in this series for me, as I did not really enjoy the mystery element in this book. The story felt etiolated and it just didn't manage to pique my interest. I couldn't really understand Ben's intentions or thoughts leading to his actions at the start of the story, and I thought the story didn't really wrap up with what happened to the mystery plot in this book. (view spoiler) ...more
Gina
OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! I absolutely loved The Bruise-Black Sky! John Wiltshire knows how to write a story, this is a talented writer everyone should read!!!

Read it my friends, read it!!!
Natalia
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love Squeezy's interactions with Nikolas! So funny <3
Christine
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Definitely my least favorite of the series. I skimmed a bit and thought about quitting a few times. I still love these guys and I will be moving forward with the next book 😊
Simone
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military, series
I've read the first five books in this series in two and a half weeks, drank coffee by the liter to keep me up and ate tons of chocolate to soothe my nerves, but they are so worth every additional pound that might be on my hips now. (okay, maybe you should ask me again in a few weeks, if I changed my mind on this, when they won't go away... :)

Even though The Bruise-Black Sky was not my favorite in this series, it's another 5 Stars read for me, nonetheless.

Another one of Nik's numerous secrets is
Meep
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Stalled on the re-read. Reading the series in sequence proved a bad idea.
-- --

Felt more cohesive; like one book rather than separate stories combined as the last books have been. Wiltshire is a good story-teller and the characters come across strongly and feel real, I enjoyed reading the book BUT I had issues.

Nik - The problem with a series such as this is how much can you throw at people. How many more secrets can he be hiding? there clearly more but there comes a point when as a reader I get b
Ran ♠
4 BRUISE-BLACK STARS!

“I cannot win with you, Ben. When I lie, you do not like it. When I am entirely honest, you are afraid. How do you want me to be? Tell me, and I will try to be that for you.”
Ben heard as clear as if Nikolas had added it, “While I still can.”

This review is divided into two parts. The first part focuses on the lighter aspect of the book and the next one deals with the heavy and more emotional side. Let's do this!

Hold your horses peps! This is going to be a long ride. Please
Marte - Thunderella

**** 4,5 stars ****

---------------------------------

"And I don't tell you things because I love you, and then I don't tell you either. So I'm even more--fucking dumb--as you so eloquently say."
~Nik~
---------------------------------

So much stuff happens in this book, it's impossible to sum up!

Lots of love, lots of secrets and lots of truths between Ben and Nik.

I predicted the  (view spoiler) in the previous book, but it still took me a bit by surpri
Jewel
Ya know, I do love this series quite a lot. Ben and Nik have so much going for them. They're intense and sexy and strong men and they live their lives very full. As far as the realism of the story lines, I really could not say. I do enjoy them, though, so that's all that really matters to me there. At the end of the day, this is fiction and I am able to suspend my disbelief and enjoy this amazing series.

I am glad, though, that I waited to read this. If I had read it when it came out, I just don'
Ele
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
So many things were implied. I needed more clear answers. Still very enjoyable.
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
4 solid stars

Talk about secrets! Wow! Everyone is keeping a secret in this book. I thought this was one of the funniest books out the series. Nik was hilarious. Nik who obviously doesn't think he is good with kids is sadly mistaken. This kid Miles astounded me. Him and Nik was so good together. In my hopeless mind I was picturing Nik with a son. HAH, I have this warm gooey feeling about him doing well. I hope I see Miles in future books. He was adorably cute. This picks up a year or two later fr
Elizabetta

All the usual suspects. All the usual shenanigans.

I love Nik and Ben; I love their romance. I love them, I do. They’re like crack. Like Mary Calmes crack, they are an addiction. I can’t figure it out, they just do it for me.

Continued Big Love for team Ben & Nik. I still care about these guys and get totally wrapped up in their story, no matter what = 5 stars

But I wanted more. More than the usual sex default. That new, heady, sex-fueled romance was done so well in books one and two;
Rusty
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely superb. I'm going straight back to reread it because there is so much to this novel that I need to give slow attention to. I read it far too quickly!
Nikolas Mikkelsen and Ben Rider reached a great place in their lives at the end of Book 4. Ben had regained his memory and getting it back had made him re-evaluate their relationship, particularly his place in it. So, this books starts at that point--literally with Ben enjoying the pictures that Nikolas gave him for Christmas--th
Scarletine
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Much as i LOVE the relationship between Ben and Nik, The Bruise Black sky is not the strongest book of the series so far. There are several things that did not make sense to me (view spoiler) ...more
Simon
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was thinking 4.5, round it up to 5? But no, it's a 4 star novel for me, my least favourite to date. That's not to say it's not Good. It is. Good.
Another great read from the pen of John Wiltshire, who's writing I really cannot fault. (Even I, the loather-of-descriptive-sex, find John's *intimate* paragraphs fantastically...er...sexy? Horny? Imaginative?...True to life? Yes...True-To-Life!). Great stuff, Mr Wiltshire. You write sex that I enjoy reading...mucky without being overtly descriptive.
Sara

Not sure if it's me or if it's me, but I am a bit confused on parts of this book and it took away a bit of the fun in the read.

I will keep this short.

Nik, I love that man. I will forgive him anything.
Abso-fucking-lutely anything. He amazes me time and time again with his steadfast love and devotion to his, Benjamin. That man will do anything to keep Ben safe. Good lord.

Ben, I love that you struggle with Nik's past and yet you finally get it. THAT which is between you is more, it's j
Awilk -never sleeps-
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I need more starts. This series has taken over my life.
Relly
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've missed these guys

I've missed these guys. This series is one that keeps me entertained and is never boring.
I love the relationship between Nik and Ben, the little mind games they play with each other, that hurt no one, like Nik using what he believes is Ben's memory loss for his own advantage to keep smoking while Ben lets him waiting for the perfect opportunity to cut him off.
Ben is a great character that has grown over this series chipping away and gaining some control over his life. At t
Steph
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another fab addition to the series. Again, the storyline wasn't my favourite but I loved reading the book.
There were so many secrets and twists, that I have to admit had me feeling completely lost. I had to keep on going back a few pages, thinking that I had missed a page or maybe if I read it again it would make more sense. But unfortunately that didn't work. I was still super confused at the end, about many things.
Who DID kill Oliver if it wasn't the person/people Nik thought it was? Who was
Bev

Certainly not my favourite of the series although it had its moments such as the interaction between Miles Toogood and Nik at Emilia's school (I'm not sure whether the demolition of someone else's house would have been allowed though, even though it was the right thing to do). I felt the New Zealand actor storyline was somewhat forced, and introducing Aleksey's ex wife as a bolt from the blue has obviously got us all wondering what's going happen in the future, and I have to say even I would no
Katerina
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Secrets and even more secrets. As also revelations - painful and upsetting.
The worst fears come true.

The last 10% were free falling. I had no idea where I would hit. I ended up in one piece. Yes. Thank God for this. And I see ... the others also. Almost ...

Highly Recommended. Full of (bad) surprises (for our beloved guys).

AliciaJ
I haven't been so overwhelmed and lost in a story since the first time I read the Lord of the Rings. This is one of those series that as soon as you've finished the last book, you immediately go back and start over again because you just can't let these characters go. I don't know how long the wait will be for book 6, but until it gets here I'll just keep re-living Nik and Ben's past adventures over and over again.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
John Wiltshire Fa...: * BOOK DISCUSSION - More Heat than the Sun 5 252 89 Sep 26, 2015 10:05AM
Discussion threads in Fan Group 1 8 Mar 28, 2015 05:39PM

• Dominant Predator (The Borders War, #2)
  • Special Forces - Mercenaries Part II (Special Forces, #2 part 2)
  • Severing Sanguine  (A Companion Book to The Fallocaust Series, #2)
  • Matelots (Raised By Wolves, #2)
  • Christmas at Leo's (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #5)
  • Deliverance: Hooch and Matt's Story
  • For Certain Values of Family (The Administration, #7)
  • The Flesh Cartel #17: Boxed In
  • After Midnight
  • Forever (Spy vs. Spook #3)
  • Safeword (Power Exchange, #2)
John spent twenty-two years in the military, perfecting the art
of looking busy whilst secretly writing. He left as a senior officer
when his tunnel was ready for use. He is now living in New
Zealand until he can raise enough money to leave. Although he
has no plans to return to the army, he can occasionally be caught
polishing his medals.

More Heat Than the Sun (8 books)
  • Love is a Stranger (More Heat Than the Sun, #1)
  • Conscious Decisions of the Heart (More Heat Than the Sun, #2)
  • The Bridge of Silver Wings (More Heat Than the Sun, #3)
  • This Other Country (More Heat Than the Sun, #4)
  • Death's Ink-Black Shadow (More Heat Than the Sun, #6)
  • Enduring Night (More Heat Than the Sun, #7)
  • His Fateful Heap of Days (More Heat Than the Sun, #8)
“Do you know, of all the dumb things you’ve ever said over all the years I’ve known you, and trust me, you have said more than your fair share, that is the most dumbest thing I’ve ever heard you utter.”
“Most dumbest is ungrammatical. Miles Toogood would be turning in his grave if he were dead.”
“I rest my case.”
9 likes
“I only left you because I love you. I’m so fucking dumb.”
“And I don’t tell you things because I love you, and then I don’t tell you I love you either. So I’m even more—fucking dumb—as you so eloquently say.”
5 likes