Start by marking “Deadly Force - Understanding Your Right to Self Defense” as Want to Read:
Deadly Force - Understanding Your Right to Self Defense

Deadly Force - Understanding Your Right to Self Defense

In a long-awaited update of the world's most authoritative work on the subject, Massad Ayoob draws from an additional three decades of experience to educate responsible firearms owners about the legal, ethical, and practical use of firearms in self defense-the armed citizens' rules of engagement.

Deadly Force discusses:

Understand the legal and ethical issues surrounding u
Published November 25th 2014 by Gun Digest Books (first published November 21st 2014)

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Force - Understanding Your Right to Self Defense

Mina
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
2.75 stars. Ayoob has a lot to teach, even for those of us who went to law school, have been in trials, and are familiar with the law of self defense. If you haven’t read anything on these topics you could do worse than to read this book. There are important concepts here armed citizens need to master and learn. The teacher isn’t as important as the content.

If you do read it, though, be prepared for lots of filler of the sort you’d fault in a high school student (Wikipedia and online dictionary
Kbullock
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Because I'm a graduate of one of Mas's week-long courses, I expected this book to be a review. I was pleasantly surprised. There is a lot of material in this book that was new to me. The only drawback is that one chapter is cut-and-pasted from his blog with minimal editing. The chapter is good material, but it gave the book a bit of a cheesy feel. If Mas had asked me, I would have volunteered to edit it for him.
James
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you have a CCL you need to read this book. Explains Castle Doctrine and Stand your ground, and a whole lot more that you would never think of.
Nick
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're concerned about self defense at all, if you carry or own a weapon of any sort, then you need this book.

The author is a subject matter expert, well known in shooting circles and goes into details about the legal ramifications of using and carrying a weapon.

The case studies inside are sobering and he dispels many of the stupid myths that abound in the world of those who own guns for defensive purposes.

Get it, read it, apply it, or forever run the risk of ending up in prison and/or losin
J. Danielle Wingler
This is the first book on this topic I've read.

A few of the court cases seemed long and tedious, but once through them I found myself going back to reference them. Devil is in the details and situations aren't as obvious as some would like them to be until the details are brought out. The media distorts many events, but I had not realized to what extent until I read the section on the Zimmerman case.

I will be reading more of this author's materials and looking further into the self-defense fie
Vincent Sargenti
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the gold standard for anyone who wants to even think about starting to apply for their concealed carry permit. I would recommend this book to anyone who ever put a loaded firearm in their pocket and walked out into a public place with it on their person. Don't even leave the house with a pistol until you have read this book and understood everything it describes. Ayoob is just keping it real.
Michael Venokur
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and a must read

Anyone considering a concealed weapon permit or just having a firearm for home defense should read this book. What you might think is commonsense will surprise you. Learn what makes a good / justified shooting and even then that is not enough. You will learn the minimum that should be said in the event you are involved in a shooting and the importance of selling an attorney before fully cooperating with law enforcement to protect yourself.
Maxx Crypto
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking book on the triad of self defense. This is the second book I have read by Massad Ayoob and found it very informative. This is the first time I have read an analysis of the Zimmerman trial and defense and found it eye opening. One of many must read books for anyone in the CCW permit community.
Jarrod
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: firearms
This is a nice and comprehensive guide on self defense with the primary emphasis on how to do so in the context of firearms. He covers several areas including use, prevention, common sense and application of laws. This is a good complement to any firearm enthusiasts library.
Sidney Sanders
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Required reading

Any and all newbie to conceal carry must buy this book. Parts of it are information overload but are very important. It is the resource needed to make what truly is a life changing decision.
Douglas Purdy
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read with great information.

I recommend this book to anybody that carries or is thinking about concealed carry. At a minimum it will provide you with invaluable knowledge.
Morgan S
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great case studies. Interesting statistics and facts. Learned a lot!
Jason Stewart
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone licensed to carry.
Thomas Hunt
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if you carry, you should read this book. Anything by Mass should be required.
Eric Molicki
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Required reading

This should be required reading of all Concealed Carry practitioners. I will be highly recommending it to all my students. .
Matthew Britton
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Crucial content

I gave this book five stars because it explained in-depth the consequences of using or not using deadly force in self defense. Ayoob elaborates on key elements crucial to justifying self defense in court, and uses case studies to illustrate his point. This book is for anyone interested in preparing to defend themselves and innocent people from serious harm or death while understanding how the legal system handles justifiable homicide.
Dallan Andrus
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Authoritative and insightful, with lots of case studies. If you carry a gun for self defense, or have one in your home, this is a must-read.
Lily
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting primer on self defense law, if you can get slog the morally indefensible defense of George Zimmerman.
Anthony
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-nonfiction
This was an excellent refresher on much of the content from the MAG 40 class I took from the author in 2013. It is expertly presented, and strikingly clear.
Diane DeMasi
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone who carries. Great advice on when to use force and since the advice is so clear, it's easy to assume when not to use force. Should the unthinkable happen and you get sued afterward, which is pretty much a given, great advice to help your case. Good details about how fast a person can reach you and that even someone who has injured themself is still capable of launching at you.

Debunks a few myths and, again, highly recommend for those who carry and for those who don't. Esp
Raven
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A useful summary of the author's experience as an expert witness in court cases that involve firearms, updated with stories and examples from the last ten years. While some of the information in there seems like it ought to be obvious, the examples from real life where people made decisions that didn't serve them well make it clear that it's not that obvious to everyone. Having examples of what actually happened in legal proceedings and jury deliberations, and what kinds of things do and do not ...more
Wes
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book by Massad, I have refreshed profound respect for the men and women that serve in our law enforcement community. The right to self preservation is a basic right shared by all creatures on this planet. Those of us who have not abdicated this responsibility to the government have to be cognizant of when deadly force is and is not authorized, lest we find ourselves on shaky legal ground. This is a must read for everyone who understands that we, the citizens are the first resp ...more
JIM HALLERAN
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Being a responsible concealed weapon citizen.

A very comprehensive study on the how, why and when to use a weapon in self-defense. Also drives home the probable aftermath in a self-defense shooting. It has truly help define my thinking on how I conduct myself as a CCW citizen.
Great read!!!!
Mike
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, e-book, own
Good book, very thought provoking. It didn't come across as a definitive work on the subject, but he makes his points and backs them up with his real case examples. Certainly worth the time considering the importance of the subject material
Kim Korich
Vital carry info - Must Read

Vital info if you carry concealed weapons. Especially informative on what could happen after a "good shooting" with arresting officer, court, and the aftermath. Rethinking my decision to carry.
Matthew Dambro
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simply the Bible for anyone who carries a concealed weapon. I teach the legal issues portion of the Michigan CPL course. He has forgotten more about self defense shooting and its legal ramifications than most of us will ever know.
Stan Bartkus
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author updates his recommendations from his first book: In The Gravest Extreme.
Update covers recent Laws & Court decisions including: Zimmerman/Martin in Florida.
Tony
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book and great writer, need to find some more of his books.
Nathan
I highly recommend this text 1 2 Dec 30, 2014 05:07PM
  • The Cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry
  • Excuse Me, Professor: Challenging the Myths of Progressivism
  • Scaling Force: Dynamic Decision Making Under Threat of Violence
  • The Bias Against Guns: Why Almost Everything You've Heard About Gun Control is Wrong
  • Healing Into Life and Death
  • Death in the Jungle: Diary of a Navy Seal
  • The Extroverted Writer: An Author's Guide to Marketing and Building a Platform
  • A Rifleman Went to War
  • The Indispensable Composers: A Personal Guide
  • Gotcha Capitalism: How Hidden Fees Rip You Off Every Day-and What You Can Do About It
  • The Truth of Suffering and the Path of Liberation
  • The LawDog Files
  • Motherline
  • The Smoothie Recipe Book: 150 Smoothie Recipes Including Smoothies for Weight Loss and Smoothies for Optimum Health
  • The Green Smoothie Bible: 300 Delicious Recipes
  • Sit With Less Pain: Gentle Yoga for Meditators and Everyone Else
  • Infinite Wonder: An Astronaut's Photographs from a Year in Space
  • A Practical Wedding Planner: A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating the Wedding You Want with the Budget You've Got (without Losing Your Mind in the Process)
Massad Ayoob is an internationally known firearms and self-defense instructor. He has taught police techniques and civilian self-defense to both law enforcement officers and private citizens in numerous venues since 1974. Ayoob has appeared as an expert witness in several trials. He has served as a part-time police officer in New Hampshire since 1972 and holds the rank of Captain in the Grantham, ...more
“The experience left me with a very strong sense of just how destructive this simple, seemingly mundane tool can be. A knife never jams. A knife never runs out of ammunition; you rarely see a gunshot murder victim who has been shot more than a few times, but any homicide investigator can tell you how common it is for the victim of a knife murder to bear twenty, thirty, or more stab and/or slash wounds. “A knife comes with a built-in silencer.” Knives are cheap, and can be bought anywhere; there used to be a cutlery store at LaGuardia Airport, not far outside the security gates. There is no prohibition at law against a knife being sold to a convicted felon. Knives can be small and flat and amazingly easy to conceal. Anywhere” 2 likes
“to establish the active dynamic, indicate that you’ll sign the complaint, point out evidence and witnesses known to you…and then stop. Be polite. Do not raise your voice. I for one would answer subsequent questions with, “Officer, you’ll have my full cooperation after I’ve spoken with counsel.” 1 likes