Start by marking “Timothy Turtle” as Want to Read:
Timothy Turtle

Timothy Turtle

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Published March 14th 1949 by Viking Children's Books (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Timothy Turtle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Timothy Turtle

Tim Tuttle
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SWIMMINGLY
Rachel
I thought this was a very odd book but well-done. Let me explain. The story was done in rhyme with detailed pen drawings of the animals and splashes of blue and peach in the background. The language is a bit out-dated, but is fun to read. The book won a 1947 Caldecott Honor.

The story is about Timothy Turtle, who runs a ferry service with his friend Drake. Wanting to feel more adventurous and important, he decides to climb Took-A-Look hill, no small feat for a slow turtle. On the way up, a bould
Katie Fitzgerald
This is a well-written rhyming picture book. It plays with repetition and rhythm to create a fun reading experience. Like The Treasure, this is a story about making a journey that changes how you view yourself and your home upon your return. Only when Timothy stops trying to become famous does he succeed; he gains his fame from the humbling experience of being tipped over onto his back and needing to save himself. Al Graham is no Dr. Seuss, but this book uses words not commonly used in picture b ...more
Lorna
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
1947 Caldecott Honor

Favorite illustration: The "Welcome Home, Timothy" page at the end with all of the forest animals surrounding Timothy in the clearing.

Favorite line:
"'Don't be a dunderhead! echoed the hill,
'Dunderhead,
dunderhead,
dun . . .

Don't be a blunderhead! don't be a pill!
Venture! adventure! away with a will!
Think of the fame - and the wonderful thrill,
Wonderful,
wonderful
one!"

Kid-appeal today: I loved Timothy! It felt like a whimsical storybook with fun rhyme and creative text design
Ed
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nerdcott-2012
I agree that the illustrations in this book are not spectacular, but I find this is one of the best Caldecott books to read to your children. I have read this story to both my kids over 100 times, and they both loved it. It is a wonderful story, and still makes me laugh every time I read it. Most importantly, the illustrations help the story, and they blend well together, which may be why I love this book so much, as do my children. It may not be easy to find a copy, since I believe it is out of ...more
Molly
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Timothy Turtle wants an adventure and attempts to climb a him. However, what will he do when a boulder that turns him upside down?

This is one of the first older Caldecott Honor books I can see myself actually reading to a child and them enjoying it. The rhyming text reminded me of Dr. Suess and the story is reminiscent of The Little Engine That Could. I also like how the printed text mirrored the action in the story. I think kids will like this one.
Laura5
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
The illustrations were not necessarily my favorite, but it was certainly a fun story to read aloud with my 6 year old. The language was silly and rhyming - meant for a young audience to enjoy.
The Bud especially liked the map on the end papers of Timothy Turtle's adventure.
Alexys
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really thought this book was fun to read and I could imagine reading it in my own classroom one day. I loved all the vocabulary words, they would really challenge some readers while still letting other readers enjoy the book.
Brindi Michele
1947 Caldecott Honor

this was a fun story
Mandy J. Hoffman
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
It was okay, but just long and drawn out with not much of a line.
Mary
May 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the rhythm of the text and the illustrations that were scattered amongst the text at points.
Mckinley
Totally can sympathize with this turtle after my mountain climbing adventures last summer.
Caldecott honor.
Paul
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm not a fan, but I might cycle back to this book to read it with children (based on the ratings of others). I found the text too long, the illustrations okay, and the story not that strong.
Carol
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
When I was a kid I loved this story so much I named my pet turtle -- what else? -- Timothy.
Natalia Ortega-Brown
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great cadence and rhythm. Definitely meant to be read aloud. One of my favorite Caldecott's from the 1040s.
Courtney Collins