Start by marking “Natural Disaster (Bareback, #2)” as Want to Read:
Natural Disaster (Bareback, #2)

Natural Disaster (Bareback #2)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  1,845 Ratings  ·  143 Reviews
Jake and Tor return in this long-awaited sequel to the bestselling Bareback! Having bought the ranch they've worked on for so long, they're now the proud owners of a spread of their own. There's more than enough on their plate coping with their new responsibilities and their arguments over ranch management, and it's not long before even more trouble hits. When he learns hi ...more
Published January 24th 2007 by Torquere Press (first published January 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Natural Disaster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Natural Disaster

The Tin Star by J.L. LangleyBareback by Chris OwenThe Broken H by J.L. LangleyTiming by Mary CalmesNowhere Ranch by Heidi Cullinan
Best Gay Cowboys
338 books — 609 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon Suede
The Best of Gay Romance
2,928 books — 3,184 voters

More lists with this book...

May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Where Bareback was often intense, infuriating and gut wrenching, this sequel was much more sedate. I like both books equally but for very different reasons. I found myself emotionally wrung out by the time I finished Bareback, and I was definitely worried that Natural Disaster would have the same forceful effect on me going in. Although the themes here were often heart-breaking, they were much easier to handle for me as a reader.

This story picks up a good year after the end of Bareback.
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Story Rating 5 Stars
Character Rating 5 Stars
Romance Rating 5 Stars
Heat Level 5 Stars
Overall Rating 5 Stars

I'm so very sad now that I just finished this book. Not that the book ended sad but because I want more. This story was so good that I could have just kept reading and never stopped. Chris Owens did a fantastic job on these two book's. The story kept me turning the pages and not wanting to set the book down. The characters were all original and I found myself caring about them as if they wer
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m

photo 1sm237cowboy_zps70cab90a.gif  photo 1sm237cowboy_zps70cab90a.gif

his is the sequel to Bareback and I enjoyed this one. This was the continued story of Jake and Tor, and life on the ranch. I was surprised that the steam level was a lot less in this book, but then again there was so much hot hot sex in that book that I guess it could be expected. The story started out very sad by the death of Jake's sister, and all the drama that happens. Family arguments, bigotry and when Jake finds out he and Tor were named as guardians to Lissa's son Jacob it gets worse.
So glad I read this one. I really needed the extended hea after Reading Bareback. There are some things going on and there are some really sad parts, but most of it is drama free and loving ;)

4 stars and I'll miss Jake and Tor. He really redeemed himself as far as I'm concerned ;) The steam was way less in this one... but still very nice !!
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Schnaucl by: Leah Cutter
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-mm
'Natural Disaster' is the final re-read from Jake and Tor's story. It's probably been at least a couple of years since I read these books and I really enjoyed revisiting this series. This one wasn't as angst filled as 'Bareback' but I still found it to be equally as interesting. The sex was less frequent but definitely every bit as intense as the first book. Jake and Tor are now the ranch owners and along with adjusting to such a huge responsibility they suddenly find themselves dealing with the ...more
Jake and Tor!

One of my favorite romance couples are back for "Natural Disaster". And though it was angst-light, we get a another slice of established couple life from my two favorite cowboys.

It was good, pretty good actually but it can't top "Bareback". I still get a little emotional about when I think about that scene from "Bareback". I just...I know what happened and I get the why but I still question it. It's like I was in their relationship or something. *shakes head*

Jake and Tor a
Oct 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love how this little family is growing. What good guys to take on raising a teenager. The ending was India anticlimactic but over all a very nicely done story. Looking forward to the conclusion in book 3.
4.0 Stars

In this sequel to Bareback, we revisit with Jake and Tor who have settled down on their newly acquired ranch. Disaster strikes when Lissa is killed in an auto accident. Jake learns that Lissa appointed him to be guardian of Jacob in the event something happened to her. In addition to coping with their new responsibilities and their arguments over ranch management, Jake and Tor face new challenges in raising a grieving teen who's just lost his mother.

It was nice to revisit with the delig
That just wasn't what I was expecting. Very different than the first book what with Jake and Tor being an established, married couple. The whole second half of the book I was a little on edge though, between the title and the cover I just kept expecting more disaster . Like the troubles they had were bad, don't get me wrong, and I guess the point of "natural disaster" was (view spoiler) ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Barb ~rede-2-read~ by: Jaymie
This was a very satisfying sequel to Bareback, thankfully without the emotional pain of the first book. Not that there's wasn't emotional pain, just not the same as in the first. It took me over 15 months to go back to this couple to pick up their sequel. I was way too traumatized by the cheating in the first one.

I'm happy to see how mature Tor has become. He's a rock for Jake, not only in the days following the death of Jake's sister, but throughout the story. And it's Tor that keeps reminding
Awilk -never sleeps-
When I finished Bareback, the first of this series, I wanted more, and so I was glad when this sequel became known to me.
This story didn't have the steam of it's predecessor, but it did have a touching story that I did not want to put down.
It was great to see Jake and Tor, still together, still working on making a life together.
The beginning was sad, and the author showed a great deal of talent by making me feel the sadness of the characters. I went through the pain with them, and was overjoye
T.A. Webb
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A return to familiar characters, who now face a very different kind of challenge when they have to raise a teen boy. Jake and Tor are very interesting guys, and I have liked them since "Bareback". Now, we get to see another side of them, frankly, it is terrific. The novel is well paced, emotionally on target, and the sex is hot as usual.

This one can stand alone, if you haven't read their other stories, but I would recommend getting them so you know the back story. The author is wonderful, and kn
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Arzu by: Stacey Jo
I finished Natural Disaster today and loved it. Bareback was maybe a bit more to my liking, as it was the beginning of a relationship that had his ups and downs. The sequel however gives you more an insight on their relationship, how it developped, how things happened in the first book influenced behaviour in the sequel, how a telephone call can change your life in such a way that you realise that your relationship is rock solid and mature ... maybe more than you thought.
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Continuation of the story between one of my favorite couples Jake and Thor. I loved reading the next chapter of their lives. It is a very sweet, emotional story and I loved it.
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was an amazing book!!
Every one should read this series!
It was beautiful Jake and Tor are perfect!!
I read Natural Disaster immediately after finishing Bareback. The prologue picks up right after the end of Bareback with Jake and Tor buying the ranch from Doug. Then we skip a year to get to the real story of Natural Disaster.

Jake and Tor have been running their ranch for a year and their relationship is solid. That was so good to see because watching them tear each other apart for part of Bareback, just broke my heart. They are preparing for Jake's sisters and nephew to come visit, looking for
Aves Raggiana
Sep 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"Natural Disaster" is a textbook example of "less is more". There were far fewer sex scenes in this story than there were in "Bareback" and the book was made a lot better for it. Fewer sex scenes meant that space could open up for more of the plot to take place and for character study, and the sex scenes that were written in then stood out in gratifying relief from the rest of the book.

By this point in their relationship, Jake and Tor have moved beyond the soi-disant adolescent phase of unrelen
Elisa Rolle
In comparison to the previous novel, Bareback, Natural Disaster is way more “comfort zone” read. Bareback was one of the first M/M romance I read, and maybe I was “naïve”, maybe I particularly don’t like when there is a cheating, but I remember that it was a reading that left me quite upset, not really in a bad way, but more like I was too much involved in the trouble of the main characters and even if in the end boy gets boy, in any case it was a long and troubled journey.

Aside for the simple f
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-as-print
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, favorites
Absolutely delightful conclusion to Bareback - this sequel stands on its own, but would be much better if enjoyed right after the first book.

This book resolves most of the issues I had with the first one - whether it be the writing, editing, or the pacing of the plot - all of which were handled with care and marked improvement over the first one. Jake, Tor, and Jacob were amazing in this story. I loved watching them overcome their struggles as a family unit, knowing the limits of one another. I
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book so much more than the first one.
There's no unnecessary angst or ridiculous behaviour, it's a wonderful story of learning to adjust to situations that are out of your control.

Watching Jake try and deal with his grief and hold his family together was gut wrenching, although he did it all with the wonderful support of Tor.

Jess needs a slap round the face with a wet kipper. (Lisa that's just for you ;-))

I didn't really buy into James disappearing so easily. He was willing to p
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Nov 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I read about Jake and Tor with pleasure. In this sequel to Bareback Jake has to face many things: managing the ranch, the loss of his sister, raising his nephew. It seems he is in control and balanced, but by the end of the book we realize that he's working himself to exhaustion, trying to be the perfect manager and uncle, and neglecting his own needs, without asking for help. Tor is his sanity check this time. The book is not as angsty and dramatic as the first, it's also shorter, but
I was really wanting to love this book, started it thinking, this is going to be great my guys are back! Bareback left me wanting more of them, but sadly that’s not what happened.

It didn’t take long for me to realize this is not the Jake and Tor from the first book. Who are they and what have they done with Jake and Tor? I want them back! I get it people mature, relationships change with time but not that much time had passed between the two books. I felt cheated....

I thought Jake and Tor lost a
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
After the huge emotional roller coaster that we know as Bareback, I needed a break before I took these guys on again.

This book was was less agnsty, the sex wasn't so crazy but still so hott and there was a bit less tension (oh we still see them forgetting they need to 'talk' about things) but it was filled to the top with love and those tender moments that are oh so sweet even after years of being together.

♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥
Jake and Tor are my favorite couple. I would read about them making a grocery list. I just simply love this couple. Natural Disaster is not like Bareback. This book, Jake and Tor have been together for 6 years. Their world is changed with one phone call. This book is a good read. If you read Bareback and enjoyed it, then you will enjoy this book as well. Natural Disaster is well written and you can't help but to fall in love with Jake and Tor again.

While reading this book I have discovered that
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
This was a nice continuation from Bareback. Jack and Tor have grown up, and thus the sex took a huge backseat in this book to focus more on relationships and family. It was a feel good story, lacked a lot of the kick of the first one. I was all a bit too easy in my opinion at least. I'm glad I read it, the guys needed to find themselves and each other. I would recommend reading this if you've read Bareback, just be aware there is nowhere near the amount of sex or any real angst in this one.
Nancy L
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need that 1/2 star! I give this 4 1/2. I loved reading more about Tor and Jake and how they've settled in. This wasn't very angsty which is probably why I can't give it 5 full stars. It wasn't as emotional as the first book but still I'd recommend it.
Josephine Myles
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, romance, contemporary
Considering how much I loved Bareback, it was a foregone conclusion that I would read the follow-up. Natural Disaster picks up a few months after the end of the previous novel, when Jake and Tor’s world is turned upside down by the death of Jake’s sister. Not only do the two men have a ranch to run, but Jake is now the guardian of his teenage nephew.

This is a very different book to Bareback, despite all the consistency in narrative style, characterisation and setting. Jake and Tor’s relationship
  • The Broken H (Ranch Series, #2)
  • Home of His Own (Home, #2)
  • Falling (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana, #2)
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • A Shared Range (Range, #1)
  • Seeing You
  • Keeping Promise Rock (Promises, #1)
  • Lorcan's Desire (Whispering Pines Ranch, #1)
  • After the Sunset (Timing Book 2)
  • Regularly Scheduled Life (Ohio Books, #1)
  • Longhorns
  • Morning Report (Morning Report, #1)
  • Long Tall Drink
  • Bad Boy Cowboy (Cattle Valley, #7)
  • Texas Winter (Texas, #2)
I live and write in eastern Canada. I went to a bunch of schools, learned a lot of things, and now make stuff up because not to do so is unthinkable. I'm fond of fountain pens, Levenger's Circa system, and Steampunk fashions.
I'm inspired by the day to day minutia of life, and find beauty in the way words go together. I like texture and richness of experience. I'm not shy. I'm happy, I'm learning,
More about Chris Owen...

Bareback (2 books)
  • Bareback (Bareback, #1)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Judgment (Cassidy & Spenser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Breathless
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Accidentally on Purpose (Heartbreaker Bay, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)