Start by marking “A Writer's Guide to Persistence: How to Create a Lasting and Productive Writing Practice” as Want to Read:

Practice. Polish. Persist.

Your writing journey can take you many places: hiking through steep mountains, traversing unknown territory, hurdling both roadblocks and rejections. Even the siren song of fame and fortune can distract you from your true purpose: to express yourself in an authentic and meaningful way, and to share your words with others.

A Writer's Guide to
Published May 13th 2015 by Writer's Digest Books (first published April 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Writer's Guide to Persistence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Writer's Guide to Persistence

Start your review of A Writer's Guide to Persistence: How to Create a Lasting and Productive Writing Practice
Rose
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers of all walks concerned with process and persistence
Quick review for a quick read. I think it's difficult for me to really cover everything that Jordan Rosenfeld incorporates in this book, but I will say that I really appreciated everything she incorporates in "A Writer's Guide to Persistence." Not only does she offer expansions on challenges that writers of all levels face in the process, she offers concrete explanations on how to tackle such barriers and summarily addresses them per the various steps in the writing process. There are plenty of ...more
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of pragmatic, useful advice on how to write. I know that makes it sound like a craft book, but it's not. It tackles all of the off -the-page issues writers face: how to be productive, manage your time, let go of perfectionism, and avoid burnout. It's gentle, but it will also call you on your bullsh**. I'm going to add the chapter on recovering from rejection to my intro creative nonfiction syllabus.
Erika Hayes
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I read a lot of books and many are on the craft of writing. I underlined, added notes to margins and highlighted my way through this thoughtful and motivating book. Rosenfeld touches in scary subjects for writers all while encouraging and offering advice rather than lecturing on what a newer writer should do. I highly recommend this book to anyone that is considering becoming a writer. Her strategies and suggestions are helpful, insightful and will lead you to a path of ...more
Alison Stegert
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a keeper. I was so fortunate to have it waiting in my library bag recently. Id received a rejection from a literary agent I really liked, one who seemed pretty interested in my work too. But, even after some promising toing and froing, it was a no with some lovely compliments and encouragement. Of course, in those moments all you can take in is the word that begins with N and ends in O.

Because Ive been doing this for a while, I can roll with most rejections without being over burdened,
Robin Mccormack
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So many takeaways from this book and gave me the kick in in the butt to persist rather than resist when get stressed out and don't want to write.
M.M.
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its not a novel observation that the ability to persist is a key skill in a writers bag o goodies. But how? How do you keep persisting as you're being pelted relentlessly by the rejections and voices in your head?

Jordan Rosenfelds A Writers Guide To Persistence tackles this question from the roots on up. It has three parts: Practice, Polish, and Persist. Each of these main divides have several smaller sections, like Push through perfectionism; in each of these Rosenfeld discusses the issues
Stephanie
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I studied this useful guide to the writing life at length, visiting and re-visiting it and taking notes. It made a great companion to Word Work by Bruce Holland Rogers, as each book approaches similar themes and insights from different vantage points.

However, where Word Work is more mystical, A Writer's Guide to Persistence is more down-to-earth. Everything about this book is designed for maximum use value. The chapters are short and easily digestible, as are the sidebars with perspectives from
Anne
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very helpful book to overcome your procrastination and get more confident in writing.
Chelsea Denard
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
So, this is the last time I'll be reading self-help-writerly-type books, as I feel they are just another form of procrastination. There are some helpful journaling exercises, but the theme was generally too vanilla for me. Maybe I kind of want a drill sergeant type of voice in my writing books. "JUST WRITE THE DAMN BOOK!" I was beginning to get tired of the "I've been there too" talk throughout, and -- at the risk of being controversial -- I grew weary of how many times the author brought up ...more
Michelle Stimpson
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
This book is like a comforting friend who won't take your excuses or your crap. Rosenfeld provides no nonsense antidotes for the fears, frustrations, and rejections that get in the way of your writing practice. I will reread many of these chapters again and again.

I liked this book so well that I emailed the author while in the middle of it, to tell her how helpful I was finding it. She responded the same day to say that my comments made her day. It reminded me that authors are people, too. They
Kelly Thompson
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: about-writing
The book offers a lot of good advice for new writers, even those who have been in the craft for many years. There are some parts in which it gets a little self-helpy, but that's only in the beginning. I would highly recommend this to any writer of any genre who needs a pep talk to finish/start/edit/send out something for publication.
Deborah Lyn
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jordan Rosenfeld is the author of A Writer's Guide To Persistence: How to Create a Lasting and Productive Writing Practice

I bought Jordan Rosenfelds Persistence book a couple of years ago and it has had a significant influence on my writing practice. I kept a notebook to record the volume of important points that caught my attention in each chapter. The book builds strategically from Chapter 1 through Chapter 25. The journey changed and strengthened my practice.

I particularly enjoyed the
Blaine
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic, and a potent add to anyone's collection. The author's advice applies to any artistic pursuit, not merely writing, but does do a lovely job of casting it all into focus. Solid and foundational, encouraging and understanding.
Rick Davis
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As a writer I took something out of each chapter and I transferred the majority of the end-of-chapter exercises into my writing journal. I will keep this book close by my desk and refer to it when I feel myself dragging anchor.
Steven
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is plenty of practical advice for all writers in this book. There are chapters on submitting, publishing, productivity, and more. I learned many new things. Most importantlynever give up. Be persistent. You dont want to be caught wondering what could have been. ...more
Amanda
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is decently motivating and has good tips for starting and maintaining your own writing practice. The bits about physical activity in each chapter were unexpected, but as someone who works in the health field, I think this was awesome.
Holli Keel
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Useful advice.
Amanda
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of good motivation in this book for writing. I especially love her advice to create a writing practice for yourself and not for publishing or making money.
C.J. Beaumont
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the only thing that stopped me from burning all my manuscripts and giving up entirely. It's totally worth the read if you're a struggling author.
Kathleen
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heavily fiction but quite good.
Richard Leis
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
I read the Kindle version of Jordan E. Rosenfeld's wonderful A Writer's Guide to Persistence last year and then purchased it in physical form. This year I carried the book with me for a month, reading passages at work, reading chapters at home, letting it inform the writing process I've recently been in the process of building. I'm happy to report that the book is even better the second time, and especially when you have reached a point where you are writing regularly and are now creating your ...more
Scott Neigh
A hybrid of the kind of writing book I like and find useful (thoughtful and focused on practice) and the kind of writing book I find irritating and the opposite of useful (filled with exercises and with supposed tips and tricks). On the one hand, the word "practice" is in the subtitle, the author is clearly quite thoughtful, and there is a definite emphasis on taking a long view in developing the writing self. On the other hand, there are also a lot of silly exercises and short-term tips and ...more
Karrie Higgins
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-by-friends
Full Disclosure: I'm a superfan of Jordan Rosenfeld, so I may be a teensy bit biased. Then again, anyone who knows her recognizes her incredible creative output, resilience in the face of rejection, and well, persistence. The woman never stops! She also happens to be a good literary citizen, offering comfort and advice to her colleagues and showcasing their work on a regular basis. As a result, she has attracted a community of writers around her.

In fact, I see "A Writer's Guide to Persistence"
B.L. Daniels
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellent read to help inspire authors and give some firm but fair advice on creating a long lasting writing practice. Jordan Rosenfeld does well in re-framing a lot of common problems that writers face, from rejection to self-criticism, and gives solid advice getting through those issues with a positive attitude. There are exercises (both physical and creative) at the end of each section, so the reader can take action on what the author is advising.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed Rosenfeld
Richard Leis
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, favorites
I purchased the Kindle version of Jordan E. Rosenfeld's wonderful A Writer's Guide to Persistence but now I need to own it in physical form, too. I want to see it on my bookshelf, its spine available at a glance to remind me that here is a resource to help me through anything related to writing.

In twenty-five short chapters, Rosenfeld provides a wealth of information and inspiration. After reading it all the way through, now I can revisit it more slowly, with the chapters I need at whatever
Angela
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Writers Guide to Persistence discusses the non-writing barriers that can prevent writers from moving forward in our work and includes many practical tips and strategies for overcoming those obstacles. Rosenfelds writing creates a safe, rational forum for addressing issues such as self-sabotage, creating boundaries, dealing with rejection, staying focused, and keeping on track with individual goals and vision. Her focus on writing as a practice invites a spiritual calm fitting of the subject ...more
Trenchologist
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Persistence in so many things is key. In writing it's vital. This book spoke eloquently to so many pitfalls--tangible and emotional--writer's struggle with on their word-making journey. With almost every chapter I recognized myself and my struggles, but also my strengths and having what I've done "well" reinforced. Really like Rosenfeld's gentle approach, one that isn't saccharine or placating or offering excuses, but rather coming from a place of positive motivation.

This is a good book to read
Zed Amadeo
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Writers' Guide to Persistence is like an old friend you call up whenever you're feeling a little down who always manages to cheer you up and get you motivated again. Lots of books can teach you about the craft of writing. This guide focuses on getting you into the proper mindset to make the most of your writing goals and overcome those inevitable bumps (like perfectionism, envy, and rejection, just to name a few) that get in the way, along with tips for balancing your writing with other ...more
Melissa
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This book is an good motivator if you're looking for something uplifting to bring the creative juices back into your life no matter what you write (novellas, fan fiction, blog posts, novels waiting to be revisited, or journal entries that no one but yourself will ever see, it doesn't matter). Thanks to this book, I was motivated to finally pick up my own novel once again and press forward. This is definitely among my Top 5 Writing books I've ever read and I'd highly recommend it. ♡
Matt
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A smart, practical book for writers looking for ideas on building habits with their work. This text has a place on my writing reference shelf. Very helpful.

Reread it Spring 2018: Definitely worth reading this writing guide again. Im a different writer today than I was two years ago. I took different lessons away from this time around.

• The Hoodlum Army
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • Poemsia
  • The Book of Awesome
  • Awaken Your Genius: A Seven-Step Path to Freeing Your Creativity and Manifesting Your Dreams
  • Turbulence
  • Help The Witch
  • Scene & Structure (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Keturah and Lord Death
  • Crazy Brave
  • Essential Dickinson
  • The Heartland: Finding and Losing Schizophrenia
  • State of the Union: A Marriage in Ten Parts
  • Spirit Hacking: Shamanic Keys to Reclaim Your Personal Power, Transform Yourself, and Light Up the World
  • Creatrix: She Who Makes
  • Still Writing: The Perils and Pleasures of a Creative Life
Jordan E. Rosenfeld is an author, editor, and freelance writer. She is the author of WOMEN IN RED, NIGHT ORACLE, FORGED IN GRACE, as well as the writing guides: How to Write a Page Turner, Writing the Intimate Character, Writing Deep Scenes, A Writer's Guide to Persistence, Make A Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time, which is now in its second edition, and "Write Free: Attracting ...more

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...