Start by marking “Chasing Lance: The 2005 Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Ride of a Lifetime” as Want to Read:
Chasing Lance: The 2005 Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Ride of a Lifetime

Chasing Lance: The 2005 Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Ride of a Lifetime

A unique combination of travelogue, humor, and insider cycling critique, "Chasing Lance" brings into focus the entire Tour de France experience. 8-page photo insert. 2 maps.
Published December 1st 2005 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Lance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Lance

Start your review of Chasing Lance: The 2005 Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Ride of a Lifetime
Lois Keller
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I learned things about professional cycling, but I also wanted to shake the author sometimes. No one cares what you ate for breakfast!! We don't care about you - we read this book because we wanted to know what Lance ate for breakfast.
Donald Blum
Nov 26, 2010 rated it liked it
It's hard to not appreciate what journalists must go through when covering the three grand cycling tours of Europe, especially the largest Tour de France. Add to that the announced retirement of the sport's most successful Tour de France rider in history and the coverage of the event is even greater. It's more than three weeks of every day starting in one place, then having to travel 100 or so miles away to beat really fast cyclists through traffic of centuries-old towns and villages if you want ...more
Carol
May 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Dugard is a terrific writer who is an admirer (but not a hero-worshipper) of Lance. The most enjoyable parts of the book for me were not about Lance but about the author's description of his experience of France and the French people he encountered during the Tour de France. He is insightful and poetic at the same time, and he includes both personal comments along with observations about cultural and artistic aspects of life in France. He definitely does not glamorize the ...more
Jay
Jul 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cycling
This book was really a combination of sport book, travel book, and motivational book, and this makes sense given the story - Lance Armstrong's successful attempt to win his seventh Tour de France. The author made an interesting choice, to spend many pages on each of the first stages of the race, then covering the final half dozen stages over a couple of pages total. It is written as the race is described, a bit anti-climactic after the mountains. I read this over a period of months, a few pages ...more
Jason
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cyclist and those thinking about going to the Tour
Recommended to Jason by: Doug
Good casual book about the 2005 Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's attempt to win 7 times. It was filled with great Tour details, historical references and tidbits about the authors travels while covering the Tour. Very interesting; I learned more about the Tour than I had know when I started the book even though I have followed the Tour over several years. Some of the information was basics, but that is understandable since it's a book for many audiences.
Adrian Colyer
Jan 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sport
A bit formulaic (standard one-chapter-per-stage format for these type of books). Didn't provide the insights into the racing itself that the blurb suggested it might, and contained a couple of basic errors in some of the tour facts presented. But it is an interesting insight into the lives of those who *follow* the tour, and into the Lance-mania in the tour circus at the time.
Gene
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you read this book hoping for a tell-all about Lance & drugs you'll be disappointed, but if you want insight into professional bike racing & the Tour de France, this is very good. Well written with a lot of inside information about personalities as well as how the Tour works & what watching in person is like.
Rebecca
Jun 16, 2008 rated it liked it
So interesting! I did not know much about cycling or the Tour de France before I read this but now I'm really looking forward to watching this year's race on TV. This book was a little bit cycling history, French/world history, Lance Armstrong biography, a behind the scenes look at the Tour and overall an entertaining and inspiring story.
Joshua
May 14, 2012 rated it it was ok

This book seems to be more about the author's time in France rather than about Lance. Lacking the objectivity of a sports reporter (a sad statement in and of itself). For a much better book about Lance and The Tour de France, try 23 Days in July.
Eric
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
Good book even if you are a little done with the whole Lance drug thing. Such a good read to know what it's like to follow Le Grand Boucle. As others have said, this is partly a cycling book and partly a guide book to traveling around France, in this case, Chasing Lance.
Marian
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Did not read, put in it in my too be read pile by mistake
SJH (A Dream of Books)
I really liked this book. It was part-travelogue, part-biography and part-sports book, following Lance Armstrong on his record breaking seventh tour win.
Shannon
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Some cool facts about the Tour de France.
Leo Polovets
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Nice combination of history, local flavor, and the excitement of Lance's final Tour.
Alex
Dec 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
great biography
Stuart Hatcher
Feb 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
a good read in itself shame that it turned out to be fantasy by way of lance anyway but well written
Jeff
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very quick read, really liked it. Not as much about Lance as it is about Dugard's experience following Lance on his last Tour victory.
Annie
Mar 02, 2009
Brian
Dec 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
New York Times bestselling author Martin Dugard is the co-author of Killing Lincoln, Killing Kennedy and Killing Jesus, written with noted television personality Bill O'Reilly. To date, there are more than seven million copies of these books in print.
Mr. Dugard is also the author of the critically lauded memoir To Be A Runner (Rodale, 2011), a series of essays which takes the reader around the