Start by marking “Second Position (District Ballet Company #1)” as Want to Read:
Second Position (District Ballet Company #1)

Second Position (District Ballet Company #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  512 Ratings  ·  146 Reviews
Four years ago, a car accident ended Zedekiah Harrow’s ballet career and sent Philadelphia Ballet principal dancer Alyona Miller spinning toward the breakdown that suspended her own. What they lost on the side of the road that day can never be replaced, and grief is always harshest under a spotlight...

Now twenty-three, Zed teaches music and theatre at a private school in W
Published April 13th 2015 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Second Position, please sign up.
Katherine Locke Whoops! Sorry, I didn't see this question! Yes, there is a sex scene in this book. It is not particularly sexy (though the sequel, Finding Center, is…moreWhoops! Sorry, I didn't see this question! Yes, there is a sex scene in this book. It is not particularly sexy (though the sequel, Finding Center, is considerably moreso.) (less)

Navessa
FAITH IN THE NEW ADULT CATEGORY: RESTORED

Me, trying to write a review for this:

Because how the ACTUAL fuck do I put my feels into words? This book is like some sort of White Whale of literature. One of those elusive tomes that rises up out of the deep and swallows you whole. And once you’re caught between its pages, you realize that the whole reason you kept stubbornly sailing the NA seas even after most of your friends abandoned ship was because you’ve been waiting for it to devour you all alo
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

4.5 stars. I wish I could have stopped crying but alas, I guess that's what happens when you read such a poignant and beautiful story.

I regret nothing.

▨ I wish I could express how and why I think that Zed and Aly's journey should be read, but alas, I have this ball of emotions boiling in myself right now and I'm honestly afraid to let it go.

I still welcome all the overwhelming feels because sometimes, you just have to.

I wish I could quote the hell out of this breathtaking and heartbreaking
Dahlia
What a beautiful, romantic, thoughtful, lyrical, and unique book. There was so much to love within, from the passion of the characters for both each other and dance to the quick, clever therapy sessions between Alyona and Dr. Ham. It's a far more character-driven novel than most New Adult books, and I didn't realize how much I was missing them from the category until I fell head over heels in love with the two narrators driving this one. I'm so, so glad there are more books featuring Zed and Aly ...more
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
YES YES MANY YESES TO THIS BOOK. The story just consumes you. I seriously don't know what to say other than I am so happy I got to read this amazing and - you know, it's like a punch in the stomach? it's so real it hurts. But you feel good??? It's a book that makes you feel all kinds of things.

{Review will be up closer to release day}

- REVIEW TIME -

It's not even possible to explain my undying love for this book.

Since the first time I heard of it, I was captivated and intrigued by the blurb. You
Sherwood Smith
This romance turned out to be at the edge of my interest, that is written unrelentlessly in intimate space, so that the entire book focuses in tightly on the inner and outer lives of the romantic couple. Aly and Zed had been besties since they were kids in ballet school, and lovers more recently--before a car crash took away Zed's leg, and with it, his dance career, and caused Aly to miscarry their child.

Four years later, after total silence between them, they happen to meet in a coffee bar in W
-y.a
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5-stars
New adult is not my favorite genre. I occasionally pick up books from this category, but very few NA books make me feel.

Second Position is Katherine Locke’s debut novel and can be read as a stand-alone. I read the prequel first and it gave me a better understanding of their back stories and what happened to Aly and Zed four years ago.

Zed and Aly met at age 13

...the Zed I met on the day of auditions, the boy who wanted to love a world that didn’t love him back, the boy who composed music
alexis
Review originally posted on Lacy Literacy

“In the moments when the stage fails to save us, we've always sought to find the bottom of the well where things are magical again. We're each other's fairy tales. Maybe that's why we always come back to each other. Our story's not finished yet."

Second Position has been collecting dust in my electronic TBR for a year and half now. I ended up loosing interest, but when I signed up for the 2017 New Adult Reading Challenge and saw there was a bingo space f
Molli Moran
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
THE PROSE, YOU GUYS. Katie writes super beautifully. It's haunting. It's descriptive to the point that you're THERE, feeling what the characters feel, seeing what they see, aching with them. Because of how gorgeously Locke writes, you immediately get drawn into SECOND POSITION effortlessly, there in that coffee house where Zed and Aly come face to face for the first time in years.

When we talk about "second chance romances," (aka the number 1 way to get me to read a book), I have to list Katie's
Caitlin Rantala
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. It swept me off my feet and made me wish I was a dancer. It made me resent the fact that my parents let me quit dance classes when I was nine (thanks a lot, Mom and Dad). It made me want to find a dancer to fall in love with (so then HE could teach me how to dance!).

The emotional, reflective story that Locke weaves is truly a breath of fresh air in the New Adult genre. The characters and their issues are real and tangible; and I love a story told from dual perspectives – espe
Rashika (is tired)
YES YES AND YES.

READ THIS BOOK if you love complex relationships and slow burn second chance romances. PLEASE DO IT.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
For more reviews, gifs, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Reading books by authors you know, whether just online or in real life, never really gets less nerve-wracking. I’ve never met Katherine Locke, but I talk to her fairly regularly on Twitter. When I saw she had a debut with Carina Press, I was happy for her, but I wasn’t sure if I ought to read it. Not liking the book of someone who might actually notice is just the worst. Still, I’m a curious cat, and I coul
Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination)
THIS SHIP JUST ABOUT KILLED ME OK. I love second chance romance stories especially when it's between best friends. The romance was on point; I laughed and swooned and cried some. This book is hot and emotional and so freakig feels-y <3

The writing is gorgeous, compelling and truly crawls under your skin to create little sparks inside you. I think the writing is what made the characters shine and their struggles, fears and worries punched deep hurt into me as well. The ballet and dancing part w
Chasia Lloyd
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SO EXCITED MY FIRST NETGALLEY ARC WAS SECOND POSITION! THIS DOES NOT INFLUENCE MY OPINION OF THE BOOK IN ANY WAY AND I WAS DEFINITELY GOING TO BUY THIS ANYWAY AND PROBABLY STILL WILL.

I got to a sentence early on in the book that both accurately sums up the book and made me aware that I would finish the book in one day or dry my eyes out trying.

“Second Position” is about recovery. Aly and Zed already had their metaphorical and literal car crash four years prior to the start of the novel. As a res
Kari Rhiannon (Moon Magister Reviews)
This is my first real foray into the New Adult genre...well, potentially the contemporary genre as well. I tend to avoid books that focus too much on real life, six years of medical school means I see the tumult of human existence everyday and don't necessarily want to go home and read about it in my down time too. My one exclusion from the rule is contemporary books focusing on mental health. I'm always curious to see how my medical area of interest is portrayed on the page, and it was that whi ...more
Edna L. (thebooknymph)
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 This tore my heart in pieces but in the best way possible
WhatIReallyRead
This book goes straight to favourites. Because I cared about everything in it.

As is my habit, I went into it knowing nothing about the book except for the title and the cover. I expected a pretty standard romancey thing, but I was wrong.

This book is full of struggle and pain but without moaning or wallowing. It's full of love without being romance-centric or romanticizing dependence. It's full of strength, vulnerability, striving and failure. It's full of life, ultimately.

At 3% I knew this wasn
K.
I love ballet themed things an unhealthy amount. So when a friend told me about this series, I knew I had to read it as soon as possible. And it was totally worth it. I mean, a ballerina with an acknowledged eating disorder who's also struggling with anxiety and self harm who's in love with her former ballet partner who lost his leg in a car accident? That's not exactly your standard boy-meets-girl contemporary.

Aly's eating disorder and Zed's disability were both handled really well, and their
Jen
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed that! Makes me wish I could go to the ballet now.

While not required, reading the prequel, TURNING POINTE (free link on the author's website), does provide background on Aly and Zed's relationship in all it's complicated beauty.

Locke's prose is as lyrical as the dance her characters perform. And she does a fantastic job of delving deeper into the issues surrounding both Aly and Zed which made their story feel authentic and real. There are no easy fixes. Healing and recovery takes time
Annie's reading corner
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Realmente quería que me gustara este libro. Desde que leí la sinopsis me atrajo y no esperé mucho para leerlo, pero sinceramente no me atrapó, no llegó ese momento donde no podía parar de leer. No es que sea una mala historia, al contrario, me pareció profunda, y trata con temas que no vemos muy seguido, pero no me conecté del todo con los personajes, y se me hizo un poco lenta.
A pesar de eso, sí quiero saber el final de la historia de Aly y Zed, todavía queda más de ellos por ver. Trataré de l
Candice Montgomery
I don't want to say that this book hit me harder because of the fact that I dance ballet but holy fucking hooker, it sure felt like every feeling was magnified and zoomed in on for my express purpose. It was hard to read because of how spot on so much of the dancer's life and lifestyle and feelings and thoughts were conveyed. Every word has purpose. Every scene, laugh and touch between Zed and Aly was so delectably precise. Never been so thrilled to live in a ballet book as I was to ache and liv ...more
Elizabeth May
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first contemporary romance I've read in a long time, and WOW. Just. WOW. I'm still putting my feelings together and trying not to gush all over GR about Katherine Locke's beautiful writing and the characters and the story. So basically: this book is really fucking good and you all should read it.
Book
Mar 18, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015
It's always nice to be able to say "this doesn't read like normal NA" and mean it. I've read a few lately that makes me cautiously optimistic, but really I wonder if books like this one are actually NA outliers. Either way, I enjoyed this a lot.
Christina
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to be one of the very first readers of this book and devoured it in one sitting. I love Zed and Aly and can't wait for their story to be out in the world. This is NA, but more lyrical and self-reflective than anything else on the market. You don't want to miss this one!
M
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this is a surprising and very sturdy book about two people. super loved a lot about it, but i think mostly the characterization was done extremely well. can't wait for the sequel!
Lynn
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult
I don’t usually read New Adult books anymore but this book reminds me of why I still occasionally try. Sure, it has the broken heroine and troubled hero thing so overdone is this classification. It has some angst and drama. However, the treatment of it is very different and that makes a lot of difference.

This is a second chance romance. This is about two people who used to be a couple but fell apart after a tragic event (view spoiler)
Maria Rose
I'm a regular attendee at our local ballet, having had season tickets for several years and quite used to seeing 3 or 4 productions a year ranging from classical to modern ballet. When I saw that Katherine Locke had released a new adult novel based in the world of ballet I was very intrigued to see how she would approach the story. Because new adult romances (at least in my experience) tend to have a lot of angst and emotional topics, I knew it wouldn't be an easy read, and I had high expectatio ...more
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ by: Navessa

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Alyona Miller is a famous ballerina. Zedekiah Harlow used to be a famous ballerina. Then the two of them got into a terrible accident and life as they knew it ceased. Alyona lost a baby, and her already fragile mental health. Zedekiah lost his leg and his girl. When the two meet by chance in a coffee shop after being estranged for years, they're both forced to come to terms with what happened.

And how they're going to proceed.

I don't read ma
Kaitlin
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
*I received an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Second Position was story about love, trust, and recovery--how they're journeys, not destinations. It featured two characters who had to learn and grow on their own and with the help of one another.

Aly and Zed had an amazing connection. They knew each other so well, yet the they also had to get to know the newer parts of each other, which was a huge struggle. Their relationship felt like it was old and new at the same time. The
Jackie
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

I've always been a fan of anything to do with dance because of it's grace and delicateness (if that's not a word, it is now) so when Nori from Read Write Love 28 came up with the Sunday Street Team and gave me the opportunity to review this book i was ecstatic! From the Minute I picked the book up, I fell in love! I absolutely love the fact that the book was told in two different points of view and that both of the main characters were broken. Usually what I've found wi
Diep
"In the moments when the stage fails to save us, we’ve always sought to find the bottom of the well where things are magical again. We’re each other’s fairy tales. Maybe that’s why we always come back to each other. Our story’s not finished yet."

**TW for ED, suicidal thoughts, self-harm and alcohol abuse**

What the fuck did I just read? Honestly, I'm so blown away. This book has easily become one of my all time favourites.
I thought the novella has already caught me off guard, but Second Position
  • Right of First Refusal (Radleigh University, #2)
  • Everly After
  • Make it Last (Bowler University, #3)
  • Swimming to Tokyo
  • First World Problems (Solving For Ex #2)
  • One Night (Only You, #1)
  • Carry Me Home (Off the Map, #3.1)
  • Now and Again
  • Body Checked (Center Ice, #1)
  • Rebound (Boomerang, #2)
  • Take Them by Storm (Angel Island, #3)
  • Cam Girl
  • Wild Ones (The Lane, #1)
  • Play On (Lewis Creek, #1)
  • French Kissed (International School, #3)
  • The Morning Side of Dawn (Holt, #3)
Katherine Locke lives and writes in a small town outside Philadelphia, where she’s ruled by her feline overlords and her addiction to chai lattes. She writes about that which she cannot do: ballet, magic, and time travel. She secretly believes all stories are fairytales in disguise. Her YA debut, THE GIRL WITH THE RED BALLOON, arrives September 2017 from Albert Whitman & Comapny.
More about Katherine Locke

District Ballet Company (2 books)
  • Finding Center (District Ballet Company #2)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • To Dream (The Broken Roads #4)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ghouls Rush In (Peyton Clark, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Calico Palace: A Novel (Open Road)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Seeing Red
    $9.99 $2.99
  • To Trust (The Broken Roads #1)
  • A Falling Star
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Just Grace (Oklahoma Land Rush, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
  • Nailed (Worked Up, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Montana Cherries (Montana Wildes, #1)
  • The Lake House
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Velvet (The Promised Land #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fated (Servants of Fate, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Emma's Folly (Oklahoma Land Rush, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Redemption (The Love's Valley #4)
  • In the Cards
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tilly (The Drifters & Dreamers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Trouble (St. James, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Fire (Dragonfury, #1)
  • Absolution
    $3.99 $1.99
  • My Dearest Love (Longing for Home)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Dying to Tell (Slaughter Creek, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Choices (The Love's Valley #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Surrender (Dragonfury, #6)
  • Secrets in Summer: A Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Walkin' on Clouds (Angels & Outlaws, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Best Kind of Broken (Finding Fate, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unbreak My Heart (Fostering Love #1)
  • OBSESSION
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Chances (The Love's Valley #3)
  • Nearlyweds
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Sweet Resolve (Lucky, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Promises (The Love's Valley #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I used to move gracefully. I used to know the word grace to the center of my bones. Now I seek it every day and fall short, inevitably, every day. I lost grace.” 2 likes