Start by marking “Do Over: Rescue Monday, Reinvent Your Work, and Never Get Stuck” as Want to Read:
Do Over: Rescue Monday, Reinvent Your Work, and Never Get Stuck

Do Over: Rescue Monday, Reinvent Your Work, and Never Get Stuck

The get ready, get going guide to navigating career change and doing work you love

New York Times bestselling author Jon Acuff has drawn millions of online fans who love his refreshing mix of humor, honesty, and wisdom about the world of work. Now he offers his most important book yet, a guide to making big career changes—by choice or necessity—and escaping the horrible
Published April 7th 2015 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Do Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Over

Start your review of Do Over: Rescue Monday, Reinvent Your Work, and Never Get Stuck
Maureen
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really really enjoyed this! I've been following Jon Acuff since the Stuff Christian's Like started a while while back, and I've been wanting to read one of his books but haven't had the opportunity to read one of his books yet. When I saw this audiobook was on overdrive AND was narrated by the author, I knew I had to listen.
I'm not in the midst of a do-over, nor am I planning to be anytime soon, but this book still had a lot of really good knowledge that I will remember! I love Acuff's style
Raegan   Ralls
Apr 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
-Disclaimer: I won this book for free through goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review.-

Could have been 40 pages rather 256. Would have been better as an advice blog post. Rather wordy and boring. He rambles on and takes forever to get to the point. I didn't get anything out of this book like I wanted. That is why I gave it 1 star because it didn't serve it's purpose as a self-help book.
Paul
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always loved the fact that Jon's writing is more than mere inspiration. Instead, it's practical truths, steps and stories that adjust my perspective on professional life and teach me how to live it out.
Katie
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I was torn about whether to give this four or five stars. I love Jon Acuff, probably because he reminds me of myself. That being said, there is a lot of good stuff in this book as well as some "meh" stuff. Definitely worth the read for people starting out their careers.
Amy
While on the one hand this book reads like many of your standard business, self-help, follow-your-passions books, it brings something slightly more to the table. I read books like this and enjoy them, but my career trajectory is in its baby phases and I'm quite is satisfied with it. Accordingly, books about Reinventing Monday or Finding The Work You Love never quite apply to me. This book targets that audience but also offers practical, useful advice I found good for right now, not for some ...more
Mary
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Jon Acuff clearly thinks he's funny. Luckily I agreed with him or this book would have been rough going. Basically the idea is that you have 4 things that you can use to build a career: people you know, stuff you can do (skills), your character, and grit/hustle to make the other 3 useful.
Not really any great revelations, but the way he leads you through thinking about what you have working for and against you was good.
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Look guys, I've been having a lot of trouble falling asleep lately, and listening to self-help audio books helps (sometimes).

But I have good news: This book does NOT contain secret Jesus! It's a career self-help book that is literally just about improving your career! Honestly I thought the book itself was so-so (not mind blowing or anything), but the fact that the author didn't talk about Jesus until the acknowledgements bumped it up a star in my mind.

The good: Acuff suggests building a "career
Silas
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, this felt like a waste of time to me. Most of the material seemed painfully obvious to me, and I didn't get much use out of the material that was covered. Then again, I tend to find that about most business writing, and I tend to avoid it at this point, if I can. If you simply don't have any idea about how to manage your professional life, maybe you can find some ideas here. I didn't find it patently awful, simply not particularly useful.
Eddie S.
way too simple and basic. this is another one of those self help books with simple advice, being paraded as phenomenal. write down your goals, ask questions to people who know more than you, be nice and generous to people, socialize and network. I have read too many self help books. perfect for beginners.
Brad Blackman
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Probably the tightest book Jon has written so far. It's a must-read or anybody looking to improve their career, whether they want a do-over or not. Sometimes we have do-overs that aren't our choice, and that is addressed. Essentially to grow your career you need to invest in four key areas: relationships, skills, character, and hustle. Jon walks you through all of these.
Alissa
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, business, 2015
I want to give this as a college graduation gift - it's excellent! Anyone struggling with their career or even those who just want some inspiration to be better should read this. It's short, it's full of practical, doable advice and it's funny.
Amy Griffin
Jun 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I found the author's tone to be too flippant. At one point, I had the audio book on in the kitchen, my husband overheard a few minutes and said "Wow, that guy sounds like a huge jerk." Well... yeah, he sorta does.
Matthew
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I cannot talk this book up enough. It feels weird to say that a career book was good for my heart, but this one was. I would go so far as to say that this is less a book about careers as it is a book about dreams and how to pursue them in a healthy, empowered, practical, sustainable way. It was engaging. It was funny. It was inspiring but realistic, too. It was one of those books I want to give to all my friends, because I think it's got some real wisdom and genuine hope.
Eric
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Motivational, but basic and wordy

I bought Do Over as a result of John Acuff's email marketing campaign. He was probably doing it right. My career has pretty much been the subject of his book. I outgrow and get bored of jobs, I've been fired, and I've been stuck.

This book didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

Acuff writes about what he calls the "Career Savings Account". It's contacts plus skill plus character times hustle. He painstakingly write about each of the sections.

I often
W. Whalin
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could have used the wisdom and insight in Jon Acuff's engaging book at several points in my work life. I've had a number of "do over" experiences. I listened to the audio version of this book and enjoyed the entire book cover to cover.

Everyone needs a career savings account--whether they are content with their current position or looking to make a change in their job. The information in this book is easy to digest and valuable for every listener. I highly recommend this book.
Alex Stroshine
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
For what this book is, it's good, maybe a 3.5/5 or 4/5.

But self-help and career books are not what I enjoy reading. I'm stubbornly suspicious of why there is a massive market of these books among Christians who read Patrick Lencioni, John Maxwell, etc...In this book, Jon Acuff offers readers plenty of practical tips and guidance in how they can make career transitions. Any drastic change like switching careers will be difficult and filled with anxiety, but Acuff strikes a calming and reassuring
Kim
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This wasn’t my first Jon Acuff book and I’ve had the pleasure of being “that host” to invite him to speak to a group in my town. I was surprised when he left Dave Ramsey but so excited to see him back on the scene doing what he does well - writing.

His approach to hustle was also energizing! I’ve always considered myself a hustler - in the positive sense of the word. However, this was a reminder that I have to KEEP my hustle on to break through those perceived and real ceilings in the areas of
Audrey
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
great one to listen to. enjoyed his sense of humor & style. a lot of effective tips and activities. will want to keep coming back to this one.
Lauren
Feb 06, 2020 added it
Wonderful book with action steps!
Allison Paradise
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I did not think this book would apply to me. I’m pleased with my job and career. However, I heard Jon Acuff was funny, so I decided to listen to it. I am so glad that I did. Not only did I love his sense of humor, I found unexpected motivation for my life in several ways
Evey
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book! Great ideas for anyone wanting to grow in their career. One of the better career books I've read, if not the best. Emphasis on the importance of relationships, working hard, practicing gratitude in achieving success. Some of the ideas are intuitive but he gives really great specific examples of how to action them. Very encouraging - highly recommend.
Amy Holiday
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I liked this. Inspiring, good thoughts for rethinking work and/or starting over a career. Liked it enough to buy the physical copy and do some of the exercises in it (not a thing to do while you're driving & listening to an audiobook.)
Emma Frost
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
OVERVIEW-This book is good for a beginner. For example someone who just graduated college or high school. Other than that, if you are an adult, you won't get much out of this book. Here's one of his key pieces of advice, "Go to work". If that's revolutionary to you, then this book is for you. This book should have been a pamphlet. Its too long and repetitive to be that thick of a book.
SPECIFIC COMPLAINTS:
/Stressing Relationships/-The author of this book stresses relationships way too much. For
Marcella Purnama
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have been reading Jon Acuff's blog for quite some time, as well as reading his other books (Start and Quitter). This book doesn't disappoint too! I think I'm being pushed once again to challenge myself in trying to upgrade my skills, character etc. Will recommend to everyone who's aged 20 and above.
Cayla
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
As someone who tends to veer towards the apathetic side of having a career, I thoroughly enjoyed this! Jon Acuff was genuine and practical in his advice. Pick this up if you're looking for insight on what it means to move forward professionally, and not become complacent :).

Memorable quote: "Life is dreamed in big leaps and revealed in small steps."
Gregory
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Practical advice presented with humor and mirth to help you make your next career and life moves.

Definite recommend.
Ranjana Ramanathan
Jan 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Wasnt really worth my time. Couldnt even finish reading it!
Nicole
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the book Do Over, the author gives very well thought out and reasonable career guidance. He looks at issues from the employee and employer sides and is very fair handed.

Some favorite takeaways, along with others were:

Choose your attitude
If you want to have a better job today, deal with both of those walls. I can't teach you a new skill in the next thirty seconds that your boss will be blown away by. I can't change your character in the next paragraph. One post of words will not deeply impact
John
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jon Acuff is a quality human being. He’s accessible, kind, and funny. He’s also had a fascinating career arc. He’s worked for Home Depot, Bose, and Dave Ramsey along with his entrepreneurial work. In Do Over, Acuff comes along as an older brother for those who are dissatisfied with their career.
Acuff writes this book for those at the beginning of their career or stuck in a career rut. The book is perfect for a young adult or someone who needs a clear path forward from a dead-end career. His
Kiel
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As you can see in the image, marketing and self help guru Seth Godin called this the best career book ever written. I can attest that it is the best career book that I have read, also the best single piece of career advice content I have been exposed to. I’m not currently planning a career change, though my short stint in tech taught me to always be ready, and built habits into me that keep me attuned to the job markets I compete in. I didn’t read this book in desperation, but simply because I ...more

• Stuff Christians Like
  • The Business of Expertise: How Entrepreneurial Experts Convert Insight to Impact + Wealth
  • The Power of Ambition
  • Critical Business Skills for Success
  • Healthy Habits Suck: How to Get Off the Couch and Live a Healthy Life… Even If You Don’t Want To
  • Finding Ultra, Revised and Updated Edition: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself
  • 7 Practices of Effective Ministry
  • H3 Leadership: Be Humble. Stay Hungry. Always Hustle.
  • The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to a Career You Love
  • Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease
  • The Legacy Journey: A Radical View of Biblical Wealth and Generosity
  • The Art of Work
  • The Art of Critical Decision Making
  • Lasting Impact: 7 Powerful Conversations That Will Help Your Church Grow
  • Born for This: How to Find the Work You Were Meant to Do
  • Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • Sales Revelation: Best of 45 Master Courses Reveals the Final Word in Sales
  • The Minuteman
Jon Acuff is the New York Times Bestselling author of four books including his most recent, Start: Punch Fear in the Face, Escape Average & Do Work that Matters.

For 16 years he’s helped some of the biggest brands in the world tell their story, including The Home Depot, Bose, Staples, and the Dave Ramsey Team. Most recently he’s spoken to hundreds of thousands of people at conferences,
“Choose your attitude every day until eventually it chooses you right back.” 6 likes
“Generosity is always cheaper than greed.” 6 likes