Start by marking “Manon des Sources” as Want to Read:
Manon des Sources

Manon des Sources (L'Eau des Collines #2)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  1,346 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Après la mort du Bossu et la vente des Romarins, Manon et sa mère s'installent dans la grotte de Baptistine. Quelques années plus tard, Manon trouve l'occasion de se venger...
Pagnol s'est souvent adapté lui-même, passant aisément du théâtre au cinéma. Ici, il fait le chemin inverse, et adapte un film en roman : Manon des sources (1963), deuxième partie de L'Eau des colline
Mass Market Paperback, 285 pages
Published September 1st 2004 by De Fallois (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Manon des Sources, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manon des Sources

Lisa
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quite surprisingly, I loved this sequel just as much as I loved Jean de Florette.

And I still feel miserable about the suffering characters, but now it is Papet I can't get over.

Nothing prepared me for the deep pain I would feel on behalf of that grumpy, greedy old man. But oh my, I have not stopped thinking about him since I read the last lines. Somehow, the poetical justice that Manon experiences at the end of the second book still leaves the reader (me, at least) in melancholy. It certainly
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
"Manon des sources" or "Manon of the Springs"--a must read for those who had finished Marcel Pagnol's "Jean de Florette."

If you hate anyone here who had done you ill, you can inflict most pain to him by giving him a copy of Jean de Florette, wait for him to read it, then TELL him what happened here at "Manon of the Springs" before he has the chance to read it. I can't imagine any vengeance more complete than this.
Christopher
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: french, travel
Sort of surreal reading this book with the massive drought currently going on at home in California. Fantastic, earthy prose. M. Pagnol is one of life's best literary discoveries.
Cathleen
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Une histoire parfaitement réalisée. Pagnol c'est un écrivain superbe.
Tricia Rose
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Again, read it in French, it took weeks, loved it.
Anya Mérimèche
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
J'ai beaucoup, beaucoup, aimé le style de Marcel Pagnol. Il dépeint la vie provençale avec poésie et d'une façon intimiste et si honnête, qu'on a l'impression de voir le récit au lieu de le lire. J'ai passé un moment très agréable grâce à ce bouquin, chargé d'émotion et de légèreté.
Je le conseille vivement !
Joe Rodeck
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Fairly interesting is fatal infatuation, Christian superstition, and church politics. The story is too simple and the literary quality only average. Cannot recommend Marcel Pagnol. Manon is less depressing than *Jean De Florette,* which you must read first.
Merel Waeyaert
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
Beautiful story in the vein of Roman pastoral poems.
Theresa
I did not think I would give it 4 stars but the last few pages totally made it worth it. I still got wet cheeks from crying while reading the ending. I really liked it!
Quince Winstyn
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adoré!
Jessica
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal ending to an amazing series. Wonderfully written !
Natalie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Should definitely read Jean de Florette prior to this serial.
Catherine
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ce deuxième tome est dans la lignée du premier, une histoire du quotidien mais néanmoins pleine de rebondissements.
Le secret des Soubeyran n'en a pas été un très longtemps et ils en payent les conséquences, tout en restant pathétique pour l'un et méprisable pour l'autre.
La révélation finale de ce drame bien ficelé apporte une sorte de morale à l'histoire, et sera difficilement "acceptée " et digérée par le mécréant.

J'ai adoré suivre ces personnages, leurs évolutions, conflits intérieurs etc.
Realini
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Manon des Sources by Marcel Pagnol and adapted for the big screen

Another version of this note and thoughts on other books are available at:

- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list... and http://realini.blogspot.ro/

This is a unique achievement.
Well, there is The Godfather part I and II, but otherwise it is extremely rare to achieve magnificence not once, but twice.

After the brilliant Jean de Florette, Manon de Sources is not just the second, concluding part, but a chef d’oeuvre itself.
Granted, it
Czarny Pies
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Des gens qui ont de la nostalgie pour des bons romans d'autrefois
Recommended to Czarny by: Ray Smith
Shelves: french-lit
Manon des Sources est un roman publie en 1962 base sur la deuxieme moitie du film du meme nom tourne en 1952 par l'auteur.

La lecture de Manon des Sources est une joie pure. Le roman contient des personnages fascinantes et une intrigue merveilleusement bien ficelee. La conclusion est de la plus juste. Les mechants recoivent la visite de
Némésis et les justes recoivent leure recompenses bien merites. Le tout est dans style qui demontre que le cineaste Pagnol a tres bien merite son siege a l'Acade
Marc
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
This second part (sequel to Jean de la Florette) was a bit disappointing. Manon grows up as a lively shepherdess. She finds out who is responsible for the death of her father and revenges this on the entire village. Eventually she ends up wedded and wealthy. The story contains the same strong elements as part 1: a beautiful description of the paradisiacal nature and the ordinary village life. Also the tragedy of greed and the lack of responsibility are beautifully stressed. But this part is much ...more
DonQuijote
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mi-biblioteca
Continuación del libro del mismo autor titulado "Jean de Florette". Este libro fue muy interesante porque describía la vida de la gente de un pueblo lleno de envidias, egoismo y trabajo. Sin embargo era un poco lento en sus descripciones a veces demasiado pesadas.
Manon des Sources continua desarrollándose en el pueblo, con los personajes que quedaban al final del otro libro y con algunos nuevos que han ido llegando. Es la descripción de una venganza, de la vergüenza de un pueblo y de la esperanz
Vicsintinta
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-french
J'ai largement laissé passer le temps avant de me plonger dans la lecture de Pagnol... et quelle belle surprise! Jean de Florette a été merveilleux, et il m'a laissé une forte nostalgie et un besion de savoir encore plus sur le futur de la petite Manon. Voilà comment Manon des sources m'avait déjà séduit même avant de commencer la lecture. Une lecture que d'ailleurs, ne m'a guère deçue. La suite des événements, ainsi que les nouveaux personnages, comme celui de l'instituteur, m'ont fait accro ...more
Lynne
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
French summer reading (in English, sadly) developing. Only Les Mis and Notre Dame de Paris to go.. Really enjoyed this pastoral tale of small grudges, vengeance and memories. Need to see the film next. Also enjoyed Jean de Florette, even if it was sad. Glad Le Papet and Ugolin get their comeuppance. Well worth reading.
Taite
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-french
Another I had to read for school. It was well written and the pay-off was worth it, but I actually found myself siding with Ugolin throughout. Obviously, this did not leave me very happy with the conclusion.
Sushicat
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Getting into the story was a bit tough as I did not read the first book Jean de Florettes. But I soon got swept up in this story of guilt and revenge set in a small village in the Provence. It paints a vivid picture of that life and makes for a quick read.
Olivia
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1960
Lovely! A perfect follow up to Jean de Florette
Aurelia
only read sections
David Paradis
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Manon des Sources is constructed very much like a classical Greek tragedy and it has the power of a work by Sophocles.
Gemma
Sep 07, 2007 rated it it was ok
Trying to remember how to speak French. Read this in high school. Definitely want to do it again. Any day now.
Brian Crawford
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the most powerful reveals in literature that I can think of.
Elisabeth
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Provence et une intrigue autour d'un puits d'eau.
4/5
Claire
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
The follow up to Jean de Florette. Also epic
Muneera Salem-Murdock
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: french, own
Read several years ago.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Un grand classique toujours agréable à relire.
Reading 1001: Manon des Sources by Marcel Pagnol 1 5 Feb 29, 2016 11:32PM
  • Claudine's House
  • Le Lion
  • The Vice Consul
  • L'Abbé C
  • Viper's Tangle
  • Un amour de Swann (À la recherche du temps perdu, #1.2)
  • Contes de la Bécasse
  • The Opposing Shore
  • L'Espoir
  • Death Sentence
  • Strait is the Gate
Marcel Pagnol was a French novelist, playwright, and filmmaker. In 1946, he became the first filmmaker elected to the Académie Française.
More about Marcel Pagnol

L'Eau des Collines (2 books)
  • Jean de Florette

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Yellow Star
  • Miramont's Ghost
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel
  • I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother
  • The Eagle Tree
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shaman (The Cole Trilogy)
  • The Things That Keep Us Here
  • Halsey Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Woodlands (Glenbrooke, #7)