Start by marking “A Simple Path” as Want to Read:
A Simple Path

A Simple Path

Known around the globe for her indefatigable work on behalf of the poor, the sick, and the dying, Mother Teresa has devoted her life to giving hope to the hopeless in more than one hundred and twenty countries. She inspires us all to find a way to translate our spiritual beliefs into action in the world. How has one woman accomplished so much? And what are the guiding prin ...more
Published October 31st 1995 by Ballantine Books (first published May 1995)

Start your review of A Simple Path
K.D. Absolutely
Mother Teresa's prescription for salvation is very simple: give up all your riches, pray hard and have genuine love for everyone. Everything will follow. We all know that this is hard to do. As Jesus says, it is easier for the camel to enter the head of the needle than for rich people to enter the kingdom of God. Other evangelists say differently though: there is nothing wrong with being rich. God wants us to have an abundant life. We just have to share though.

So, which one is the correct one? I
Elaine
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting insight into the amazing work that the Missionaries of Charity, the order established by Mother Teresa in India in 1950, do. Not only in India but around the world. The order is based on Mother Teresa's Simple Path comprising of six elements. Silence, prayer, faith, love, service and peace. We are all capable in some way of helping those less fortunate than us and it is this that the order encourages and works towards. They help the poor, the sick, the homeless, the children, anyo ...more
Joy
Feb 09, 2010 rated it liked it
My interest in Mother Teresa and her work was piqued when one of my yoga instructors read Mother Teresa's "Anyway" aloud during shavasana. I was amazed at the beauty and simplicity of those inspiring words and felt the need to learn more about this phenomenal woman, who was determined to make the world a better place. I picked A SIMPLE PATH instead of one of Mother Teresa's other books because it has "Anyway" in the back, and because I thought something about abstract concepts, in this case lovi ...more
Kelly
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a treasure, that's about all I can say about it. Mother Theresa has always been an enigma to me, but now after reading this book I feel like I know her as well as I knew my own grandmother and she is a true role model for me. Her words are so wise and so humble. I hope to live my life after her example!
Vida
Jan 09, 2009 rated it liked it
For the past 8 years or so, I have volunteered at a Jesuit run, Roman Catholic elementary school located in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago. Next to the school lies a "Contemplative" house run by the Missionaries of Charity. I have watched Mother Teresa's followers, the nuns, walk about the neighborhood and heard them praying many times during mass early on a summer morning. For some reason, I have lately been wondering what they "really" do. A friend recommended this book. It explains the wh ...more
Matthew
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A simply lovely book. Anyone of any faith should take the time and read this wonderful description of the Simple Path Mother Teresa and her Missonaries of Charity have taken. I will certainly look at things differently and make some life changes.
Rachel
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Mother Teresa's name is listed as author, but there a lot of other bits contributed by other faithful nuns and priests, and I find that I prefer Mother Teresa's simplicity to the illustrations and enhancements of the others.
Al-mirah
Inspiration. Inspiration to truly be humane and graced by God...to actually live our spirituality by our good will and actions toward all of God's creations.
Shannon
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Rather than focus on Blessed Teresa, this book features mostly testimonials from followers who are pretty smug about their service among the poor. A few good quotes, including, “Mary would have made the best priest of all.”
Brenda
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another simple portrait of life's basic instructions. Mother Teresa speaks of love in a way that we should all understand.
Joseph
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Indeed, the contents contain a simple list of prayerful practices one can include in their lives to make it more Christ-centered. Filled with anecdotes and contributions from several Sisters and Missionaries of Charity, displaying lessons learned, challenges faced, and graces received from using these practices. A valuable and fruitful read.
Sharon
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it
As much as I would like to give a five-star rating to a book about/by Mother Teresa, I cannot do so in this instance. This book contained more quotes and insights from members of the Missionaries of Charity and volunteers than from Mother Teresa herself. Furthermore, the author's intermingling of Catholic "social justice" activities with beliefs of non-Christians and New Agers were laughable at best. Furthermore, when I read the author/editor's suggestion that when the non-Christian reader encou ...more
Chris Bailey
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring book. And one that causes you to take a good hard look at what you are accomplishing in your life and what your priorities are. She started with helping one person and has literally changed thousands of lives. The book was missing some information about exactly how it all came about but I suspect there's other books to read with that detail. This was just a very honest and humble look at the work her organization does and her simple philosophy. I love the poems and sayings sprinkled ...more
 Doris Powell
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Talk about inspiration! This book is none other. And you don't even have to be Christian. She addresses Hindus and Muslims also. She even addresses atheists who want to do good in this world. So this would appeal to everybody who is trying to make the world a better place by aiding the neediest and the poorest. There are quotes from Mother Teresa, quotes from other sisters and brothers, and also quotes from volunteers.
Renee
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
What and incredible woman of God! She lives Jesus with all her heart, soul, mind, and strength, and shared that love to the least of us just as we're all commanded.
What an inspiring testimony of how God will do remarkable things in and through us if we let him. Love, service, and me a vessel of peace to those around us. Most of all, talk with God at least once a day! Prayer is not a last resort, it is vital to our relationship with God! Amazing!
Kramer | The Illiterate Reader |
This book has great Christian insight and wonderful thoughts on love and service. Unfortunately, I could only give it 3 stars because I think I was expecting more of an autobiographical type book, so I was completely in the mood for this type of heavy and thought provoking book. Highly recommended if that's what you're looking for though.
Rick
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mother Teresa : A Simple Path

A lighted experience along a blighted path. We witness firsthand and through accounts both personal and of immediate proximity to the witness and extraordinary charitable work of Mother Teresa herself. I'd like to have seen a bit more from Mother Teresa alone, as it’s about half and half of each. We learn why it took root in Calcutta and how and when the Sisters of the Missionaries of Charity began, which in 2012 consisted of over 4500 sisters and was active in 133 c
Abby Avery
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: god-stuff
This felt like the quick and dirty version of your good Catholic spiritual book. It’s short and extremely easy to read. It’s moving, the work that the Missionaries of Charity do. They are so simple and self-sacrificing and it’s beautiful to hear about their joy and distaste for their own comfort. Things I disliked about the book: a sense of accountability and the writing style. First about the writing style- the narrator is confusing. I think the quotes are more or less summaries of what Mother ...more
Kim  Dennis
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book wasn't entirely what I was expecting. I thought it was going to be more Mother Teresa. Throughout the book, there were lots of statements by people who had helped the Missionaries of Charity and the impact it had on their lives.

Having said that, once I realized that the book was going to be different than I thought, I was able to enjoy it. There were a lot of good reminders about service and how losing ourselves in service to others is the best way to be happy. I am truly in awe of the
Serena Long ﺕ
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Was carrying almost 10 books in my hand, books are heavy, telling myself it's enough for this time and walking towards to the cashier counter and I stopped... because of the title of this book "A Simple Path." How can you not love this lady? Inspiring and motivating. This is the first book that I have read about Mother Teresa. I would really recommend this book. I knew little about this great and quiet person. Her writing is as simple as her life but just as special. I feel blessed to ha
Linda George
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
This was an interesting read. Initially I was expecting a biography. However this book is an overview of Mother Teresa's philosophy. The basic overview is prayer, faith, love, service, peace. There are many anecdotes and personal notes of people in her order and volunteers. One of the most important tenants is that the sisters welcome and care for people of all beliefs and do not try to convert them, but relate to their individual beliefs to comfort those ill and dying. Whe was a truly remarkabl ...more
Teri Reck
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Her simple path is the journey to show everyone Christ-like love regardless of faith, economic status, nationality, age, sex, or any other characteristics by which we judge ourselves and others. All is done in and through God and to His glory. Starting with prayer and then progressing to love and service, we are able to do to the least of these, our brothers and sisters. And by doing so we find the peace that passes all understanding.
Wow
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
wanting to know more about mother Teresa's life, I picked up this book with idea it was written by her or at least compiled her words ONLY hers.

I didn't expect to hear the accounts of the many people who worked with her which at times was good at other times wasn't.

what I'm trying to say is that it took from the magic and awe I had when I initially started it. There are poignant sections you can find in here though.

I will try to read No Greater Love if I can before the Year ends.
Josephine
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I wanted to learn more about Mother Teresa, and when I came across this book at my local thrift store, I thought it would be about her. It turned out it was more comprised of inspiring stories from people who worked with her. It had some inspirational stuff in it, but ultimately lost my interest before I finished it. But it's not the books fault that it wasn't what I thought it was when I started reading it!
Jesni
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I bought this few years ago, but picked it up only now. The book narrates tales of people working in Missionaries of Charity and how their help has affected them/others personally and spiritually. There were also few anecdotes from Mother Theresa's life.
I liked the beautifully written prayers which can be meditated by anyone from any religion. This book gave me reasons to rethink my actions and to engage in contemplative thought.
Tomi Alger
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mother Teresa is an inspiration. In this book, she and others talk about their work as paid workers or volunteers for the Sisters of Charity. They reach out to those who are unloved and cast out from society: the orphans, the lepers, the AIDS patients. They treat all with respect and care and make a difference in those lives. I really enjoyed the book.
Carolyn
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I had a glimpse of the life of the Missionaries of Charity, the nonprofit organization established by Mother Teresa. Their testimonies of the life as a volunteers remind me that anyone can be of service wherever, whenever. With a loving heart, anyone can see that each has value despite of having nothing.
Rob Medford
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautifully straightforward, does a wonderful job describing Mother Teresa's Simple Path. Her selflessness and dedication is overwhelming and inspiring. In a world of ever growing distraction, to be reminded of how simple finding true joy can be is refreshing. Prayer. Faith. Love. Service. Peace.
Candice Garcia
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Profound

This book truly touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes. It couldn't have come at a better time in my life. God always knows what we need. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to love their neighbor more.
Ken Fracaro
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brief bio of Mother Theresa and a history of the creation of the Missionaries of Charity. The simple path: "The fruit of silence is prayer, the fruit of prayer is faith, the fruit of faith is love, the fruit of love is service, and the fruit of service is peace." A wonderful and loving book...A+.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Rediscover the Saints: Twenty-Five Questions That Will Change Your Life
  • Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light: The Private Writings of the Saint of Calcutta
  • The Tao of Inner Peace
  • Your Life: Why It Is the Way It Is, and What You Can Do about It: Understanding the Universal Laws
  • The Mystic Path to Cosmic Power (Reward classics)
  • Traditori di tutti (Duca Lamberti, #2)
  • El Delfín: La historia de un soñador
  • Uno, nessuno e centomila - L'esclusa
  • Bar Sport Duemila
  • Acqua in bocca (Commissario Montalbano, #16.5)
  • Canale Mussolini. Parte seconda
  • Canale Mussolini
  • Storia della mia gente
  • The Visible Filth
  • The Imitation of Christ
  • Orzowei
  • Le scapole dell'angelo
  • Quando i sogni non hanno soldi
Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, or Mother Teresa, born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was an Albanian Roman Catholic nun who founded the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata (Calcutta), India in 1950. For over forty years she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying, while guiding the Missionaries of Charity's expansion, first throughout India and then in other countries.

By the 1970s she had become inte