Start by marking “Strangest Way” as Want to Read:
Strangest Way

Strangest Way

A book in good condition
Published October 31st 2009 by Orbis Books (first published April 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Strangest Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangest Way

Start your review of Strangest Way
Julie Davis
Good Story 184. Scott's walking the Christian path using Star Trek as his guide. Julie's reading Jeeves and Wooster for pointers. Bishop Barron thinks they'd better read his book again.

Original review below.

===========

This was written when Robert Barron was a priest, before he really came to wide-spread Catholic fame as an online presence. It is like Barron in a nutshell — engaging, conversational, explaining to believers how to live that "strangest way" of the cross in our everyday lives.

Zak
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book altered me. I learned to love Catholics because of this book. It taught me of the Center. It's accessible and it uses art to convey Truth.
Richard Grebenc
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I very much like Fr. Barron. He is a clear thinker who is very intelligent and has read widely. This comes out in his talks and in this book. One who has heard him speak can hear his voice distinctly in "The Strangest Way" where he tells us that the "odd particularity" of the Christian phenomenon is most known in its adherents worship of a God-Man nailed on an instrument of torture and death which means for Christian life "a conformity with a love unto death."

The bulk of the book is a final
Christopher Kanas
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is not without some minor flaws, but overall, for the content it shares within it's relatively few pages, it is a solid powerhouse of truth. I am not Catholic, nor ever really thinking of becoming one, but I'll be the first to say Father Robert Barron is one of, if the the most, premier thinker and writer in our modern Christian world.
This book is not however for the lighter fare. If you are looking for your easy-to-read, surface, inspirational, spirituality, then you may find this
Emilia P
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: churrrch, real-books
Mindblowing, metaphysical, and somehow surprisingly down to earth.
Positing that Christianity is about God's search for us and not the other way around, using Brideshead, Dante, and Flannery to illustrate God as center, man as forgiven sinner, and life as not our own, respectively, and going into some really heady theological philosophical stuff from there. There was some philosophy-writing structure that lost it the fifth star, but the premise that Catholicism is built on the idea that we're
Tania
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was really challenging for me to read, but it was very worth it! In fact, I'll probably need to add it to my "read every year or so" list of books. Why? Because it challenges the Sin in us that causes us to be self-focused. Self or God? What a question. It delves into the 7 manifestations of Sin in chapter 2 (the "seven deadly sins") and really adds light to what is happening in the soul to see those manifest (or not). It touches on disciplines of the Christian life that I tend to ...more
JP McLane
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This an awesome book. Very insightful and practical for living the Christian life. You can see many of Bishop Barrons themes in the book that are present in much of his other material. If you are afraid of spoilers for the novels Brideshead Revisited or The Violent Bear It Away I would suggest you read those two books first.

I also enjoyed his short treatment of modernity. It is a good summary for those who aren’t familiar with enlightenment thinkers and how their thought has affected how we
James Millikan SJ
Robert Barron's Strangest Way: Walking the Christian Path distills the Christian journey towards the eternal partria into three roads: (1) Finding your center in Christ, (2) knowing that you are a sinner, and (3) realizing your life is not about you. In expounding on these three key elements of authentic discipleship, Barron weaves elements of philosophy, theology, and literature to illustrate what constitutes, and does not constitute, a life that adheres to the demands of Christian virtue.

There
Helen
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic
One definitely hears Fr. Barron's voice in this book, as he is a very familiar from his Word on Fire website and with well over 300 videos on YouTube. This is the first of his books that I've read. His writing style is very much like his speaking style, gentle and conversational. I particularly enjoyed his analysis of Brideshead Revisited and Dante's Inferno. In fact, Barron is all over the place with literary analysis, really boggling my mind. I think I have a whole new reading list!

As Fr.
Maggie
there are many brilliant ideas and passages in this book. however, i am reading this book in tandem with ronald rolheiser's prayer our deepest longing and the comparison isn't favorable for fr. barron. he's dogmatic whereas rolheiser takes the human condition as it is and infuses spiritual reality into our actual circumstances. in short, he meets us where we are and takes us higher while fr. barron, as obviously brilliant as he is, insists that we despise or lessen our human life and jump ...more
Chris
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, favorites, religion
I find it is easy to explain why I disliked a book or movie. But when explaining why I liked something, I get somewhat incoherent.

Anywho, this is the only book I got for a college class that I still regularly read. Prior to reading this book I was Catholic but only because I'd been raised Catholic and had simply always been Catholic. But Father (now Bishop) Barron's book opened my eyes to just how strange Christianity is. It is, or at least it ought to be, more than just an hour Sunday morning.
Coleen
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Subtitled, Walking the Christian Path, this book covers Three Paths: Finding the Center; Knowing You're a Sinner; and Realizing Your Life is Not About You. The book is not lengthy but is requires concentration and focus.

Although difficult to read, Bishop Barron dissects among other writings, Evelyn Waugh's "Brideshead Revisited", Dante's "Purgatorio", and Flannery O'Connor's "The Violent Bear It Away." I had not read any of these previously, but that was unnecessary in the understanding of
Susan Dunn
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
On further reflection, I’m changing my rating for this book up to 4 stars. I realize that I’m unfairly penalizing Bishop Barron because my expectations for his work are so much higher than for others.

The material in this book is profound and full of meaning, but the style was hard to read. I bought this book to add depth to Bishop Barron’s Untold Blessings study. It succeeds in that, but it could definitely benefit from a re-layout. I particularly love the section on the Liturgy. That closed
Deborah
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No book has given me such clear insight into the message of the Gospel or such succinct direction for walking the Way. Using a unique blend of theology and classic literature, Father Barron identifies three paths to holiness: finding the center, knowing you're a sinner, and realizing your life is not about you.
Kathy Nealen
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the references to Catholic writers and thinkers. This is somewhat dated so some of what is written would require more explanation or rewording in light of the crisis of abuse within the Church.
Charles Schoep
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Connectedness of the body of Christ

I love the way Fr Barron brings tradition, history, and faith together in all his work. This book emphasizes God's relentless chase of souls from sin and how the body of Christ fits into his plan for our salvation?
Thomas R. Hrdlick
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read for those looking for a concise but intelligent construct for understanding and living their Christian faith.
Benjamin
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book and I will re-read it soon. If you are interested in Christianity (from a Catholic perspective) give this book a chance.
Christopher
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is written in very challenging language with many exhortations. Fr. Barron certainly is well read but he is really not holding back. I agree with him that our society as a whole and even catholics need to reform themselves according to the original teachings and beliefs and reforge a new zeal for prayer and nieghbor through hard work.

The imagrey he uses is out of Dante's Divine Comedy of which Dante has private revelations in the middle ages which gives him insight in how souls get to
Michael Veselik
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
absolutely fantastic! Words cannot do it Justice!
Sister
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think this is a must-read if you are serious about being a Christian.
Tammy
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read this quickly the first time, but will re-read it more carefully. Very interesting take on the subject.
Christy
Dec 03, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: my dad
is good to be a christian
Louise
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Excellent!
John
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A very excellent introduction to an excellent writer and apologist; challenging, especially to otherwise complacent Catholics.
Vicki Nichols
Behaviuor 3 4 Apr 19, 2013 06:29AM

• Into His Likeness: Be Transformed as a Disciple of Christ
  • The Problem of Pain
  • Brideshead Revisited
  • The Rosary Murders (Father Koesler, #1)
  • WTF?: What's the Future and Why It's Up to Us
  • Henry V
  • Fatherless
  • Walking with Mary: A Biblical Journey from Nazareth to the Cross
  • Rethinking Mary in the New Testament: What the Bible Tells Us about the Mother of the Messiah
  • The New American Bible
  • Richard II
  • The Awakening of Miss Prim
  • God Is Love: Deus Caritas Est
  • Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • Chernobyl: The History of a Nuclear Catastrophe
  • The Right Side of History: How Reason and Moral Purpose Made the West Great
  • The Imitation of Christ
  • Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places: A Conversation in Spiritual Theology (Spiritual Theology #1)
Bishop Robert Emmet Barron is an acclaimed author, speaker, and theologian. He is the former Francis Cardinal George Professor of Faith and Culture at Mundelein Seminary near Chicago and also is the founder of Word On Fire (www.WordOnFire.org).

Bishop Barron is the creator and host of CATHOLICISM, a groundbreaking ten-part documentary series and study program about the Catholic faith. He is a