Start by marking “I Survived Seattle (Coming About, #1)” as Want to Read:
I Survived Seattle (Coming About, #1)

I Survived Seattle

(Coming About #1)

As if being a deeply closeted gay man living in the South isn’t enough, Justice Crawford also suffers from a crippling anxiety disorder. Flying cross country to be the best man in his best friend’s wedding probably isn’t the best idea, right? Forced back into the closet after being rejected by his family, Justice has given up on the idea of finding acceptance and love. He ...more
Published March 19th 2014 by Wilde City Press

To ask other readers questions about I Survived Seattle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Survived Seattle

Start your review of I Survived Seattle (Coming About, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I've been thinking on this review for a few days now and I'm still trying to sort out my feelings about this story.

"I survived Seattle" is a cute debut M/M book from J.K. Hogan. Though the MC suffers from an anxiety disorder and there are some serious issues at play, the book is what I would consider a light, fun read. I found Justice (did NOT like the name, I kept saying "Justin" by accident in my head) to be a very likable MC. He was pretty adorable, all foot-in-mouth and sort of lovably spas
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Oct 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Holy rage, Batman, Justice is a little bitch. He ruined the entire book for me. To be clear, I love stories where one or both of the MCs is battling some kind of emotional or physical issue. Justice has severe anxiety problems, and being able to relate, I was excited to see how Hogan worked this. Imagine my disappointment, then, when Justice turned out not to be a sweet-but-challenged scrapper, but instead a snide, cowardly, misogynistic little asshole.

"...but he did enjoy a man who wasn't a
Buda
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Justice. Was there ever a more appealing fucked up hero? It's a tough call. Our Justice has issues. A lot of issues. But they make him lovable and real in a way that few characters are. Or perhaps it's just that I share some of those issues and can definitely relate.

True story, I had to leave the wedding of one of my best friends when my panic issues came hurtling down on me. I made it through the ceremony, but only just. The very idea of going to the reception...no. This, even though I kne
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}

I dunno.

So I've read this series all out of whack, started with book three and the plan was to read this one and then number two. Well it's a good job I started with Rory because he is the only one of his group worth my time to be honest and I'll tell you what else, I'm shocked he was ever able to sort himself out if the two little shits who are apparently his support system are anything to go by.

See I started out kind of liking Justice, as an anxiety sufferer (although nowhere near as bad as
Kade Boehme
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love. Justice pulled me in from his first line. Wanted to hug him. Obvs being a southern kid in Seattle may make me biased but this story really did it for me.
Sandra
Super cute and adorable, funny and sweet. If it hadn't been for a couple of things missed during editing (unphased vs. unfazed, excepting vs accepting, among others), the experience would have been even more enjoyable.

Loved both main characters, loved to hate on Rich (what the hell was his deal?), and loved how well the author described the inner workings of Justice's mind.

Nicely done, new to me author. Gimme another one, yeah? Perhaps the next one could be about Rich, and what's going on with
Sheri
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Question for you- obviously you read boys in your romance, but do you still read het? Do you enjoy the standard m/f romance formula? I do. Honestly I don’t mind girly bits in my books, though I do like my boys better.
Why am I asking? Well, this had a strong undertone of het romance. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, but I found it fairly noticeable. As it happens, I enjoyed this story immensely. But if you are not a fan of the stock recipe of het I’m not sure you’ll say the same.

Justice is a h
Susan
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
While this was nice, it was nothing like book 3, which I loved.

Not that this one was bad, it just lacked some depth and some events were simply there to create some angst.

Justice is coming to Seattle to be the best man in his best friend’s wedding. It is on the plane that he meets Nic. Sparks fly, but Justice is sure they’ll never see each other again.

Of course faith decides otherwise when Nic is the captain of the boat Justice hired for the bachelor party.

The relationship that develops is not
Jessie Potts
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is J.K. Hogan's first foray into m/m romance and centers on a deeply closeted gay man living in the South. He also has severe anxiety and has already been forced back into the closet once. It seems like Justice (nice name!) needs some love. Enter charter boat captain Nic Valentine, who is dealing with the death of his father and who can't resist Justice and all his quirkiness. It was fun to read. I really liked Justice and his oddities, and the romance was super sweet.

Bottom line: Quirky, f
Mercedes
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-romance

Too much melodrama for my taste. From the insta-love, cartoonish bad guy, to the stupid blackmail stunt, unnecessary last bit of drama, just too much and too shallow.
☆ Todd
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved Nic's heart and passion for life, while Justice made me want to just smack the crap out of him a few times, ala Cher in Moonstruck -- "SNAP OUT OF IT !!!"

I believe that Nick hit a lot of Justice's problems right on the head when he says that Nick is confusing his neuroses with his fear in going for the life that he wants.

The whole "lost at sea" part at the end felt a bit formula to me. "Let's add one last bit of drama" and go out with more of a bang.

And every book out there these days ha
Lenore
May 15, 2016 marked it as dnf
Shelves: m-m, mental-health, 2016
DNF at 43%.

Worst case of insta-lust I've stumbled over in a while. Also, Justice was a jackass.
Tina
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, blog-reviews

I Survived Seattle is the first M/M book written by J.K. Hogan and I sure as hell hope it’s not the last one.

Curious how J.K. Hogan would handle this genre I was looking forward to reading her first venture into male romance. Anything that persuades more M/F fans to read M/M has got to be a good thing, right? Well, what a fantastic surprise I got! The romance is very well done and convinced me that quite a few M/F authors can write M/M very well.

Justice, a southern boy who is totally banged up i
Christy
"See, Justice suffered from certain…neuroses - plural. Damn near crippling anxiety was sprinkled with a nice topping of mild to moderate OCD, with the extreme claustrophobia cherry on top. It was like an ice cream sundae made of crazy. As if being a gay man living in the Bible Belt didn't make life difficult enough."

'I Survived Seattle', book one in J.K. Hogan's new series 'Coming About', started off with a bang. First, I should tell you that I love a man with issues. I can't help it. I was sure
Becky Condit
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rosie reviews I Survived Seattle by JK Hogan

REVIEW: When I read a book, I want to learn something new, doesn’t have to be much, it could be just a “Oh that’s cool” or it can be” wow I didn’t know that” or in the case of I survived Seattle(Coming Out),it was “Ok slow down what was that?”; “Neuroses, crippling anxiety , OCD, situational Tourette’s and let’s not forget extreme claustrophobic. “ And that’s just what Justice was struggling with. I knew I was go
Ornella (Nyx)
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, disability
3.5 Stars

Very enjoyable read overall. I really appreciated how Justice had to take a break and get his own shit together before he could fully commit to Nic. I hate when the love interest magically fixes all the MCs problems, so I was glad that wasn't the case here.

Their's was a whirlwind romance, but it was believable and felt real. I liked how things turned out with Justice's parents, not too perfect but not overly horrible either, just the right mix of 'life sucks' and hope :)

As for the side
Fani *loves angst*

Better than I expected. A sweet, simple story of lust/love at first sight, made interesting by Justice's quirks and his closet status. The fight near the end, would be better off missing, but it was not enough to make me dislike the book or the heroes.
Lara
3.5 interesting story line & I really liked the characters. Sometimes it felt a little 'throw everything in and the kitchen sink,' even during the sex scenes. But even with all that I enjoyed it. ...more
Tori
Originally posted at http://smexybooks.com/2014/04/review-...

Justice Crawford has many problems. As a severely closeted gay southern man with a debilitating anxiety disorder, Justice knows his trip to Seattle for his best friends wedding is asking for trouble. Disowned by his family and unable to come out to his friends, Justice has given up on love and foresees his future being nothing more than a series of random meaningless hook ups.

Nic Valentine, a charter boat captain, is grieving the loss
Ro
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Justice Crawford is the son of Southern Baptist parents who turned their backs on their son when he came out to them at seventeen. Add in the fact that Justice has a pretty severe case of anxiety disorder and we have a man balanced on a delicate edge. An edge that he may topple over as he flies across the country to Seattle to be the best man at his oldest (and one of few) friend’s wedding. Roommates in college, (Justice’s education financed by his grandfather) Rory took all Justice’s tics in st ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
There was a lot I really liked about this story. I liked the characters for the most part, and I'm pretty sure there's a sequel planned and I know who it will be about, otherwise (major spoiler)(view spoiler). I liked how people weren't black and white, that the cliched fences can be mended. I love how panic attacks were explained and I wish my mother who suffers f ...more
Aerin
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, part-of-a-series
3.75 Stars. I know not possible, but I liked it better than just 3.5 stars and a little less than 4 :D

It was a very enjoyable book, I loved Justice (the name did not fit him a bit) and I found his foot in the mouth syndrome adorable. He was extremely likable and there's no way to not love him to pieces.

Nic Valentine was a pretty solid character, I loved that he was not hesitant about what he wanted, and that was Justice. He's an alpha male, possessive as hell, versatile in bed and unafraid of c
Rachel Emily
I just LOVED Justice…I wanted to hug him and was rooting for him from the very beginning. I thought he and Nic were smokin' together, I loved their chemistry and the progression of their relationship. Yes, it was fast, but it didn't feel contrived or insta-love like for me. And I love the cover!

I knocked off a star for (view spoiler), but this was still a strong 4-4.5 star read for me. I tho
Shannon
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aa-recommend
I don't quite know what's keeping me from giving this one five stars but I did really love it. So much better than I was expecting. Hot sex, made me weepish, guy in need...all the things I love in a book.
Amanda Jones
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Gah .. I soo regret not reading this book the first time I stumbled upon it about a week or so ago!! This book completely had me with a cute clumsy hyperventilating Justice when he fell in Nic's lap with "Well, hello there, sailor."
Aah .. I just loved it! I hope there is more to come!
Jen
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Justice and Nic

Cute book. I liked Justice and his neurosis. There were some things at the end that left the story possibly open for Rory??
Jacq ~
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved all the issues of Justice and the wise strength of Nic... Very nice well rounded story.
clear skies
Sep 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Two words: boring and cheesy.
Karlijn
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: hurt-comfort-mm, mm
It was okay, but not the best. It was nice, but not overwelming.
Page Crusherz
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 Wicked cute! Better than I expected!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Last Text
  • Final Play (Fake Boyfriend #6)
  • Facing West (Forever Wilde, #1)
  • Oz (Finding Home, #1)
  • Without You
  • Felix and the Prince (Forever Wilde, #2)
  • In the Middle of Somewhere (Middle of Somewhere, #1)
  • Borrowing Blue (Made Marian, #1)
  • Henri (Confessions, #5)
  • Priest (Confessions, #3)
  • Waiting for Them (Little Hollow #1)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • Gideon (Finding Home, #3)
  • Unraveled (Inked #1)
  • Wilde Fire (Forever Wilde, #3)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Rule Breaker (Mixed Messages, #1)
  • Out of Nowhere (Middle of Somewhere, #2)
J.K. Hogan has been telling stories for as long as she can remember, beginning with writing cast lists and storylines for her toys growing up. When she finally decided to put pen to paper, magic happened. She is greatly inspired by all kinds of music and often creates a “soundtrack” for her stories as she writes them. J.K. is hoping to one day have a little something for everyone, so she’s branche ...more

Coming About (4 books)
  • Love and the Real Boy (Coming About #2)
  • Unbreak Broken (Coming About, #3)
  • Force of Nature (Coming About, #4)