Start by marking “TechGnosis: Myth, Magic Mysticism in the Age of Information” as Want to Read:
TechGnosis: Myth, Magic  Mysticism in the Age of Information

TechGnosis: Myth, Magic Mysticism in the Age of Information

How does our fascination with technology intersect with the religious imagination? In TechGnosis - a cult classic now updated and reissued with a new afterword - Erik Davis argues that while the realms of the digital and the spiritual may seem worlds apart, esoteric and religious impulses have in fact always permeated (and sometimes inspired) technological communication. D ...more
Published November 12th 2004 by Serpent's Tail (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about TechGnosis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about TechGnosis

Logophile
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Less satisfying than I'd hoped. Though Erik Davis makes the case that technology and spirituality are and have been inextricably linked throughout human history, he doesn't really offer a theory as to why this is so or take a position on whether this is a good or a bad thing. I would have preferred less of his supporting his argument and more analysis of it.
Andrea
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Drawing a connection between the human quest for transcendence and spiritual oneness through belief/religion and technology, Davis presents an incredible amount of theory, philosophy, history, and research from ancient times, when the latest technology was cave drawings, to the relative present. Written in 1998, the book's descriptions of online gaming, virtual reality, and the Internet is sometimes comical, but it's also a great reminder of just how fast technology develops when building on its ...more
Travis Todd
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I got to the end of this book like one of those staggering marathon runners who collapse just after they've made it past the finish line. So breathlessly in love with its subjects, and so full of labrynthine and endless sentences. I now resemble one of those constricting snakes right after it's eaten some giant, unfortunate mammal. I'm just going to rest here for awhile until I can metabolize some of this. Peace!
Maciek
Oct 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Gnosis is a form of religion or spiritual doctrine occurring through history since antiquity. It proclaim possibility of freeing oneself from prison - which is material world – and attaining enlightenment through mystic knowledge. This knowledge was hidden from humanity by evil Demiurge and his archons to isolate men from true God. This story was presented in apocryphal “The Secret Book of John” found in Nag Hammadi in which Jesus as a snake sneaks into Eden and persuade blinded Adam to pick fru ...more
Travis FFFFFFFFFF
Jan 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is the jam.

Davis doesn't really pose a single hypothesis so much as gather and articulate the historical relationship between mysticism and technology.

This is one of those books that introduces you to all the left-field thinkers you need to have read. And it offers a compelling mythology about the nature of this monkey man -- we've been using tools to make better tools for so long... what are we really building?
Rane
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: culture, technology
One of my all time favorite books, though I do agree with some of the criticisms I have read - Erik Davis chooses to show examples that support his ideas on the links between spirituality and technology/media, but never really puts in any solid conclusions. Also, the language can be fairly dense. It's worth the effort though, and manages to get my mind rattling off a million ideas a minute, every time I read it.
Gary
Dec 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: esoteric, technology
A wide-ranging and open-minded examination of the subtle and not-so-subtle spicing and splicing effects that esoteric impulses have had on technology developments. Given the rapid pace of technology evolution, some of the content and observations are already a bit outdated (published in 1998), yet still thought-provoking and retrospectively relevant.
Natalie
Dec 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: got-tired-of
Big words, annoyingly long sentences- I don't know what audience this was for but you'd have to be an academic to be able to get through this. I didn't make it through the introduction. Too atmospheric.
Eugene Pustoshkin
Книга в своё время оставила очень хорошее впечатление. После чего многократно её рекомендовал своим друзьям.
ziombel
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
Gnoza była ruchem religijnym dążącym do wyzwolenia człowieka za pomocą magii, nauki lub wiary z materialnego świata. Książka Erika Davisa opisuje początki gnozy oraz jej współczesne wersje.

Na początku opisani są antyczni mistycy oraz średniowieczni alchemicy. Następnie autor opisuje narodziny spirytualizmu, który wyłonił się między innymi dzięki powstaniu elektryczności i nowych sposobów komunikacji. Opisuje kościół scjentologiczny oraz sekty wierzące w kosmitów, którzy mieliby zabrać ich do le
Roger Green
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
With a breezy and classic pomo style, Davis adeptly glosses various frontiers of gnosticism and new media. An interesting collection of eclectic sources, Davis's work in the field of religious studies serves him well here.
Ibrahim
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Read John Grey's Black Mass before this, and afterwards Robert Geraci's Apocalyptic AI
Visions of Heaven in Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, and Virtual Reality, and the three volumes form a trilogy
Brian
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
In this 1998 book, Davis traces the reciprocal relationship between information media and apocalyptic aspirations both spiritual and secular, beginning with the handwritten codices of the early Christians, through the 19th-century 'internet' of telegraphy, up to the state of the World Wide Web and persisting dreams of networked virtual reality at the end of the 20th century. Along the way, we see that the messages perceived by those with eyes to see remain much the same, whether their medium is ...more
Kristen Aldebol-Hazle
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Techgnosis will appeal to readers with interests ranging from mythology to science to communications technology. Davis's wide-ranging book avoids seeming disorganized and random by showing readers the surprising connections between our modern relationships with technology and the myths, rituals, and beliefs that have floated around civilization since it was first recorded.

Though this is certainly an academic book, Davis avoids jargon and writes clearly in a way that can appeal to many readers. H
Paul Samael
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I first read this shortly after it came out, but I have periodically been back to it and I think it's still as relevant as when it came out - which is no mean feat for a book that deals with a fast-moving area like technology. I think the reason it has stood the test of time so well has to do with its focus on our own attitudes to technology (as much as on the technology itself). We like to think of ourselves as having attained a level of sophistication that has taken us beyond the kind of primi ...more
Dimitris Hall
Dense book with complicated ideas and deep meanings. Makes me question the importance of eloquence when meaning is possible to be lost in the transmittance. TechGnosis shows how technology, digital media and computers have not made magic and mysticism obsolete but merely replaced them with something else, at times proving themselves to be great catalyst for the fusion of the two worlds (like technopaganism or scientology). Unfortunately, I can't remember much of it book because of the way it's w ...more
Sam
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. Moves along at a good pace and seems to require at least one reread as there is just so much packed in to each section. Leaves me wanting a lot more. This is the kind of book that adds a lot of books to the "must read" pile. Its dizzying amount of information makes me think this is best read a second time with Wiki open and lots of time for notes and research.

The writing style is irreverent enough but not disrespectful to the myriad of beliefs described. The technology is quite d
Edward
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books I had been meaning to read since it first came out. It is a brilliant exploration of the Gnostic inheritances in our daily life from a Millennialist fervor that drives advertising and culture to the Internet seen as the net of Indra. Davis has a writing style that you will either love or hate. I happen to love his almost stream of consciousness jazzy writing that shows complete mastery of the subject matter. I cannot recommend this book enough for those who seek to und ...more
Antony
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A cult classic from 1998 updated in 2015, Erik Davis weaves a dense web of ideas from the philosophical and mystical history of the West and connects them to the history of technology and media. A dizzying mix of ideas from the ancient Gnostics, through to twentieth century thinkers such as Marshall McLuhan and the transhumanists. Full of insight and deep ideas, one to read and digest slowly. One of my favorite books.
Terelyn
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Erik Davis has proposed that forms of communication shape social and individual consciousness of reality. IMHO, Techgnosis is worth another look now that social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) has spread so rampantly across our culture. The tracks of what we have followed tends now to define what is presented to us.
George Snyder
Jun 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Emerson called Spiritualism,"the rat hole of revelation."

"Both religion and the occult derive much of their power from simultaneously stimulating and managing dread -- the anxieties that dog the perpetually shifting boundaries of the self, and especially the ultimate borderland of death..." Erik Davis.
Gregory Verrilli
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very dense book with many interesting concepts. This took some time to get through and grasp, following the rabbit hole to the many external texts and works that are referenced. I look forward to checking out some of these references that resonates with my own interests.
AK
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
perhaps dated at this point (with regard to the tech info) , but still an interesting read for anyone into the holistic science of occult interconnected-ness that has to be the science of this century if we're to have any shot...Davis is captivating.
Sharon Wildwind
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was a lot more complicated than I had the energy to tackle. I think I'd do better coming back to it after a while and reading it a second time.
Gyrus
Feb 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is an essential new frame of reference, managing to expose the relationship between spirituality and technology that has never been absent... More: http://dreamflesh.com/reviews/techgno...
Blaine Harper
Apr 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
I generally take notes about books I don't agree with, but I didn't bother for this one because it was so clearly not a threat.
Nick Mather
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book.
Bood
Jun 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
You won't look at your computer the same way. Wands and cups my ass.
Satyros Brucato
One of my all-time favorite books, Techgnosis traces the weirder elements of information culture, from ancient roots to subcultural foundations.
Kingfisher
  • Darwin's Pharmacy: Sex, Plants, and the Evolution of the Noosphere
  • Liber Kaos
  • The Secret Life of Puppets
  • Daimonic Reality: A Field Guide to the Otherworld
  • Love Sex Fear Death: The Inside Story of the Process Church of the Final Judgment
  • Magic, Science and Religion and Other Essays
  • A User's Guide to the Millennium: Essays and Reviews
  • Counterculture Through the Ages: From Abraham to Acid House
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • The Secret King: The Myth and Reality of Nazi Occultism
“The funny thing about games and fictions is that they have a weird way of bleeding into reality. Whatever else it is, the world that humans experience is animated with narratives, rituals, and roles that organize psychological experience, social relations, and our imaginative grasp of the material cosmos. The world, then, is in many ways a webwork of fictions, or, better yet, of stories. The contemporary urge to “gamify” our social and technological interactions is, in this sense, simply an extension of the existing games of subculture, of folklore, even of belief. This is the secret truth of the history of religions: not that religions are “nothing more” than fictions, crafted out of sociobiological need or wielded by evil priests to control ignorant populations, but that human reality possesses an inherently fictional or fantastic dimension whose “game engine” can — and will — be organized along variously visionary, banal, and sinister lines. Part of our obsession with counterfactual genres like sci-fi or fantasy is not that they offer escape from reality — most of these genres are glum or dystopian a lot of the time anyway — but because, in reflecting the “as if” character of the world, they are actually realer than they appear.” 4 likes