Start by marking “Attack! Boss! Cheat Code!: A Gamer's Alphabet” as Want to Read:
Attack! Boss! Cheat Code!: A Gamer's Alphabet

Attack! Boss! Cheat Code!: A Gamer's Alphabet

Bone up on your gaming knowledge with this gently ironic yet thoroughly informative guide to video game terminology, presented as a picture book for all ages. "Attack! Boss! Cheat Code! A Gamer's ABC "is an indispensable guide, a lively look at the language of video games that might actually bridge the gap between game-obsessed kids and their often-perplexed parents.
If y
Published October 14th 2014 by POW!

To ask other readers questions about Attack! Boss! Cheat Code!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attack! Boss! Cheat Code!

Start your review of Attack! Boss! Cheat Code!: A Gamer's Alphabet
Johanna
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a fun idea for a book! I definitely learned quite a bit about gaming from it. I guess I really am a n00b. The pictures are way cool, too. My video game obsessed 7 year old son was pretty excited to read it.
Ben
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: language, nonfiction
Alright. This is a kids' book, which is generally not in my reading list, but it was pretty darn cute. I don't know that I learned any new terms, having been a gamer most of my childhood and adult life. It was validating how much I recognized.

All in all, cute book. Would read again.
Laurie Thompson
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Okay, I know I’m showing my geeky gamer girl side, but I love, love, love this book, and I think today’s young (and not-so-young) readers will, too!

It’s an alphabet book, of course, which means the information is organized by letter. Within that constraint, Barton somehow manages to work in a whole bunch of key concepts necessary to understanding video games. Some are expected, such as “boss.” Others are more surprising, like “instance.” In either case, readers will love seeing the terms they’re
Margie
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-a-day
Games, video games, can foster creativity, problem solving skills, desire to increase knowledge about a specific subject, healthy competition, and connections with like-minded people. Attack! Boss! Cheat Code! A Gamer's Alphabet (POW!, October 14, 2014) written by Chris Barton with illustrations by Joey Spiotto is a guide every gamer will enjoy. It's a starting point to promote understanding of the basics.

My full recommendation: http://librariansquest.blogspot.com/2...
orangerful
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I saw this on the cart this morning and KNEW I would love it.

This is NOT an ABC concept book so you probably don't want to buy it for that pre-reader. But if you have an elementary school gamer in your life, then this would make a fantastic gift (or a new geek parent).

Also, I love and adore Joey Spiotto's artwork. Always have. His style is so easy to spot.
Jen
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: pb, alphabet
some of this might be new information to a reader, but other sections of it feel like you're being talked down to. Of course people know what a "level" is, or at least the people who are picking up this book would probably know. ...more
The Styling Librarian
Attack! Boss! Cheat code! A Gamer’s Alphabet by Chris Barton, illustrated by Joey Spiotto – Picture book – What a fantastic book. My son loved reading this gamer’s alphabet…. can’t wait to share it with my students who are obsessed with gaming. Fantastic book. Enjoyed the illustrations as well.
Michele Knott
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a treasure to pass on to readers - a book that is all about gaming? Written as an ABC book, this is a perfect concept book to draw in readers of all ages and abilities. For gaming, that is!
Thrilled to find this book and pass it on to readers.
Cynthia Levinson
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is such a clever book--not a simple ABC but a primer on gaming for avid young aficionados. As such, it appeals to a wide age range from early geek wanna-be's to high-interest/low-reading techies. ...more
Donna
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Big hit with my younger students.
Janelle
Jan 17, 2016
Valarie Graham
Apr 25, 2018
Carie Juettner
Feb 23, 2015
Yuvraj Singh
rated it did not like it
Aug 24, 2015
Crystal
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a fun look at gaming for kids. It would be a great coffee table book too.
Apr 20, 2015
Alex
Nov 02, 2014
Dorcas
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome and perfect for my brother-in-law and nephew to read together.
I'm the author of picture books including bestseller Shark vs. Train, Sibert Honor-winning The Day-Glo Brothers, and Whoosh! Lonnie Johnson's Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions, which was included on 21 state reading lists.

My newest books include Fire Truck vs. Dragon, All of a Sudden and Forever: Help and Healing After the Oklahoma City Bombing, What Do You Do with a Voice Like That? The Story of

News & Interviews