Jump to ratings and reviews

The Practical Prepper: A Common-Sense Guide to Preparing for Emergencies

Earthquakes, hurricanes, civil unrest, economic challenges - no one knows when disaster may strike. Will you be ready? The Practical Prepper is a common-sense guide to emergency preparedness and survival written for real people with real lives. This must-have reference book walks the reader through each step of emergency preparedness covering everything from cooking in a crisis, to home security and protection, to emergency water disinfection. You can be prepared for the challenges the future holds. The Practical Prepper will show you how.

368 pages, Paperback

First published May 13, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kylene Jones

2 books2 followers
Kylene has an educational background in business management as well as in family studies. She has also served on the advisory board and on the board of directors for TACDA and is currently the editor for The Journal of Civil Defense. She has a passion for researching and experimenting, adding a sense of real life to their writing and teaching. A firm believer in hands-on learning, she involves her family in emergency training for everything from fire drills, to living off food storage and garden produce, to turning off the power in the dead of winter just to see if they can survive it. Many powerful lessons are learned from these experiences, the best lesson being that we are tougher than any challenge. We will not only survive, but we will emerge better, stronger people as a result of the adventure.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (3%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews
Profile Image for Shanda.
354 reviews58 followers
Read
July 14, 2014
The Practical Prepper accomplishes its goal of presenting practical ways to achieve a higher level of preparedness in a varying number of living situations. It begins with the basics then expands into more in-depth methods for long-term or extreme circumstances, providing a “line upon line” style progression for readers to consider and implement as they continue on their preparedness journey. There are several pages of sources in the “Notes” section at the end of the book for those who would like to read more on the subjects addressed in each chapter.

The authors are thorough and flexible in their coverage of needs and options to fulfill those needs. They respect each other’s different opinions on what is “enough” yet still consider the other’s requirements for feeling secure.They have experimented with several of the products, circumstances, and methods they discuss in their book. They are honest about their results as well, which I appreciate. They also link to several resources on their blog to help readers become more prepared for emergencies.

What you won’t find here are detailed lists of exactly what to store. The authors do give general recommendations and offer sources of where to find more information, but they know that there isn’t one perfect food storage or preparedness plan that will fit everyone. They aren’t rigid in their recommendations or forceful in their opinions. They are, however, emphatic about safety and doing whatever works best for the reader.

A first I felt a little overwhelmed and depressed at the long list of disasters that could happen and the direness of what my circumstances would be if any of them happened today. I know my family is far from prepared to survive for long if the worst were to happen.

However, as I continued reading The Practical Prepper, I started to feel more empowered to take steps to change that. I may not ever be as self-sustaining as someone who lives on a farm with a root cellar and a huge garden, but I don’t need to be to improve my family’s chances of survival.

I read this book cover to cover, curious about the suggestions the authors presented for each circumstance. I was inspired, shocked, and entertained by some of the examples given of how other people have planned for emergencies. (The Chunky soup and rice idea sure makes it easy to knock out at least one or two dinners a week in my emergency menu plan, though!)

I recommend this book to anyone and everyone who wants to be more prepared for an emergency. It’s a resource I think “preppers” of all levels will find useful. I am definitely more inspired to get my preparedness show on the road, and I thank Kylene and Jonathan for their efforts to educate others on how to not just survive, but thrive, in an emergency.

Review originally published on LDS Women's Book Review -- www.ldswbr.com
FTC FYI: received a free digital review copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Katie (Hiding in the Pages).
2,839 reviews205 followers
October 31, 2014
This book starts out with the categories that people fit into. Unfortunately, I think I'm a "Target Painter." I know that disasters and bad things happen, but I don't want to think about it. I get overwhelmed with the thought of preparing for such events. This is a great book in that it outlines exactly what you need to do, what supplies you need, how to use and store items, and any and all other information relating to this.

Each type of natural disaster is outlined. I loved that feature, since I can look up what is common in my area and know what to do to prepare and where to look for more information. There were disasters mentioned that never even occurred to me--solar flares, nuclear hazards, etc. Checklists are included for the reader to use.

I loved the section on communication and the lists that were included in that part. There are step-by-step instructions on what to do, some things that I never thought about. I loved the personal examples that were included because it made it easier to visualize.

I think my biggest problem with preparing is knowing where to store everything. Where do I put 6 72-hour kits? A huge water supply? Food storage? Extra gasoline? Not to mention, all of our documents and valuables? A lot of innovative suggestions for just such dilemmas were brought up. This is a great resource for anyone wanting to become better prepared.

*I received a copy in exchange for an honest review*
Profile Image for Shauna.
975 reviews23 followers
July 16, 2014
EVERY HOME NEEDS TO HAVE A COPY OF THIS BOOK!

Which of the following best describes YOU?

*Oblivious: Do not believe that anything bad will ever really happen.

*Target Painters: Want to paint a target right on their head/home so the first bomb will drop there and everything will be over quickly.

*Rat Racers: Understand the need to prepare and have it on their very long to-do list.

*Excuse Slayers: Understand that sometimes bad things happen and are doing everything in their power to prepare for it.

No matter where you are NOW this book will help you prepare for the FUTURE!

Filled with practical advice on how to know what dangers could happen in your area of living, what to do if it happens, and website links to explore...

You will learn how to prepare for natural disasters, outbreaks, personal disasters and more.

With this book you can not only survive,
but you can THRIVE!

*Water Storage and Purification
*Sanitation
*Food Storage Plans
*And the list goes on

There is SO MUCH WONDERFUL INFORMATION in this book!
I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERY HOME HAVE A COPY!

DON'T WAIT FOR THE DISASTER TO HAPPEN
AND DON'T PANIC UNTIL IT DOES

Take it step-by-step and chapter-by-chapter to
SIMPLY BECOME A PRACTICAL PREPPER
WITH THE HELP OF THIS BOOK!
Profile Image for Bruce Curley.
1 review
July 16, 2014
Given the daily headlines, the need to prepare (prep) is evident. And there is a cottage industry out there offering to advise you and your family on how to do so.

Not all are worth reading, but The Practical Prepper: A Common Sense Guide to Preparing for Emergencies is worth getting.

The authors, parents of young children and husband and wife team Kylene and Jonathan Jones, have put a lot of thought into what prepping really involves, and their hard work and careful thought is evident in this store of knowledge of the core knowledge required to know the essence of prepping for your family.

Prepper books fall into one of two broad categories: those that speak to other preppers and those that speak to the larger community. The Practical Prepper, A Common Sense Guide to Emergency Preparedness by Kylene and Johathan Jones, is the latter.

For most of us when we look at this cottage industry of prepper books, however, it is difficult to separate the Biblical wheat (nutritious food or valuable, worthwhile prepping) from the chaff (scaly protective casing that is not nutritious and is worthless prepping). The Practical Prepper offers nutritious, worthwhile, common sense, easily done prepping instruction, plans, strategies, and steps you and your family can take to prepare for, cope with, survive and triumph over natural and manmade adversity.

What I especially liked about this work is that it really is practical prepping as it says in the title. I found examples from my own life in every chapter.

For ease of use and quick reference, it is divided into the following chapters: 1. Where Do I Begin?, 2. What Are the Odds?, 3. Survive or Thrive, 4. Family Emergency Plan, 5. Survival Kits, 6. Communication, 7. Water Storage, 8. Water Disinfection and Purification, 9. Sanitation, 10. Designer Food Storage Plans, 11. Food Storage, 12. Fuel Safety and Storage, 13. Emergency Lighting, 14. Emergency Heating, 15. Emergency Cooking, 16. Shelter, 17. Keeping Cool, 18. Home Protection and Security, 19. Personal Safety, 20. Medical, 21. Community, 22. Financial and Legal, 23. So What Now?

For those of you who are just beginning to get into prepping, you have much worthwhile wheat in each chapter. And even for those of you who have been at this for decades, as I have, there is much worthwhile wheat in each chapter. This is a guidebook to how to be self-reliant when disaster strikes, because if you can get past the first 72 hours, you are in very, very good shape.

As the authors say in Chapter 1. Where Do I Begin? “While prepping is important, we recommend that you always strive to keep balance in your life. Do not allow fear to motivate your actions. Preparing and making steady progress is critically important, but take time to enjoy the present while preparing for the future.” That common sense approach is why this book matters. Many prepper books and websites, with the media piling on, use fear as their reason to prepare. This is wrong, and the authors establish early on that common sense, not fear, should motivate your prepping planning, activities, and family time.

Chapter 2. What are the Odds? Offers resources to help you identify the risks and hazards you face in your neighborhood and region, as well as the basic steps you can take to be ready: family emergency and communication plan; food and water storage; survival kits (home, vehicle, work); backup (water, sewer, natural gas, power); and emergency saving account. Take care of those and you are on your way.
Using a flow chart, they provide an excellent matrix (event, probability, consequence = risk score of the threat matrix (natural: earthquakes, tsunami, hurricanes, winter and summer storms, landslides, heat, tornado, etc.); manmade (terrorism, pandemic and epidemic, atomic, biological, nuclear, chemical, hazmat, electromagnetic pulse (EMP), civil unrest, economic collapse, house fire, debt, societal collapse, etc.). Most of these you will know, but it helps to quantify them so you know what to concentrate on when you create a plan, supplies and strategy for your family.

In Chapter 2 they also describe what could happen (much of it not pleasant to think about) in a matter of fact way. They describe what you can do about it (also often not easy to think about because it involves work) in very practical terms. As importantly, it is written in Plain English so it is a good read. Here is a sample:

· Consider purchasing gold and silver coins after you have built your food stores.
· Practice the art of provident living and self-reliance. Learn to work. Be wise, frugal, and prudent. Get out of debt and live on less than you earn.
· Learn self-defense skills and acquire weapons of choice. Secure your home.
· Work on becoming physically fit and healthy. Access to medical care and medications may be limited. If you have disabilities, explore options and develop a reasonable plan in the event medical care is unavailable.
Among the dangers they highlight is a house fire. “The most common disaster is a house fire. One in every 320 households reports a fire annually.” Having experienced our own house on fire in 2003, I agree. (See: http://poetslife.blogspot.com/search/...)
Another Plain English bit of wisdom is found in Chapter 2 is, “Your best teacher is real-life learning experiences.

For example, turn off your power for a few days and see how prepared you really are.” That’s stone, hard fact. My wife’s family has an orchard in West Virginia. They get week long power failures. They know how to cope with it.

Granted, my brother-in- law was Delta Force besides operating the orchard, but most of his survival skills are from surviving for years on the orchard, well removed from any assistance. Most Americans live under the illusion that power and services are always on. A power failure teaches them otherwise, and practicing for that eventuality is truly learning the lessons of history, even if most Americans choose to pretend otherwise. If American only knew their own history, they would know that The Practical Prepper is a continuation of our long historical struggle against man-made and natural disasters, not an aberration as the main stream media likes to posit.

Chapter 3. Survive or Thrive, Loving Life opens with:

“You have just completed a comprehensive evaluation of the possible hazards you may face in your future. You have a reasonable plat to reduce those risk factors, and we are going to explore exactly how to execute that plan. But first we will discuss the most important aspect of that plan: your personal attitude, resilience, and emotional fortitude.”

“Quite frankly we dislike the word survive. By definition, to survive is to continue to live or exist in spite of danger or hardship. The word gives little hope of a bright future. Our goal is to thrive in the face of adversity.

We gain confidence through our preparations and fully expect to embrace the challenges ahead and find joy in the journey. Bad things happen --- it is an inevitable part of life. But we are determined to thrive in the face of adversity.”

Amen. That is a core value in my own life. In the multiple near-death experiences I’ve had, I’ve survived because I refuse to die, and then always make it better after the survival experience. I never thought about it, but the three “Thriving Through a Disaster” phases they list are spot on: denial, deliberation and decisive moment.

For example, when fifteen lumpen proletariat brought down baseball bats on my skull in Georgetown, in Washington, D.C. the night before Marion Barry, a former DC Mayor went on trial, through my blood and sweat I saw my wife and son. I made the decision in nanoseconds that this was real, I was not going down, I would see my wife and son again, and I went mad until I had 14 of the 15 down (according to the waiters at the restaurant where it happened).

Most people think this will never happen to them. Many told me afterwards, “I don’t go in those neighborhoods.” Until it happens to you, why would you think it can happen? The media calls it a “random act of urban violence.” But it is random...not rare.
The same applies to any man made or natural disaster.
No one thinks it will happen...until it happens.

I’ve been through my share so I have no difficulty accepting that it can happen...and fast.

I believe this knowledge should be shared with children, because sadly our schools do not. And Kylene and Jonathan agree. They have an entire section in Chapter 2 called, “Preparing Children to Thrive in a Disaster.”
That is the best thing you can do for your children, and their practical steps in this 345 page tome will assist you.

Chapter 4, Family Emergency Plan: We Can Make it Together, lists how to create a family emergency plan. They are clear about what I’ve observed for years: this is a parental responsibility that will pay off when the event happens, and it is a thankless task like many thankless parental tasks.

They cover all the basics: primary meeting place, secondary meeting place, out-of-area meeting place, higher ground meeting place (i.e. off the flood plain), evacuation plan, money, the map, communication and communication devices, vital documents, prep lists, things to grab, precious items, transportation, emergency shelter options, and the family emergency action plan.

Now, although this all seems obvious, as with so much of this information, this family emergency plan has uses you cannot imagine. For example, an active shooter at a mall, school, play of employment, or at a random setting. All of these tools would have been useful had there been an active shooter at my son’s school, rather than a sociopath who sought social media attention. (See: http://poetslife.blogspot.com/2014/03...)

Chapter 5: Survival Kits: Living out of a Backpack presents the reality that in order to survive, you need certain essential elements in your backpack...or, more importantly for any parent, in the backpacks that will keep your offspring comfortable and alive. Water, high protein food, shelter, sanitation (too often overlooked), sleep, comfort, and all the things that makes living possible when living is threatened.
They include a section on the “Workplace Survival Kit, “Vehicle Emergency Kit,” “Emergency Survival Kit,” and the “School Survival Kit” “Pet Survival Kit,” “Young Child Comfort Kit,” “Infant Survival Kit,” “Wilderness Survival Kit,” “Family Survival Kit,” “Fire Kit,” and “First-Aid Kit,” All are critical but often neglected. Here, each lists the essential that need to be included.

Chapter 6: Communication, Now We’re Talking explores the hardware (AM/FM radio, NOAA Weather Radio, shortwave radio, Internet, two-way communication, phones, cell phones, family radio service, general mobile radio service, citizen band radio, amateur radio, ), and the process (power, equipment protection), and the communication action plan.

Chapter 7: Water Storage, Got Water? Details the basics of water purity and storage. My preference is water bricks (See: http://poetslife.blogspot.com/2013/09... )
Chapter 8: Water Disinfection and Purification, Is it Safe to Drink explains exactly that. There are many dangers in contaminated water that we are unaware of due to our easy access to pure water. They have a water purification and disinfection business and are experts in this area. They elucidate those dangers and explain how to prevent them.

Chapter 9: Sanitation: What is that Smell is a detailed discussion of one of the most overlooked areas of prepping: sanitation. They cover personal sanitation, showers and baths (gravity, garden, sponge, tubs, and containers), human waste disposal, bucket toilets, port-a-potties, bedside commodes, potty chairs, chemical toilets, composting toilets, septic systems, deep pit latrines, solid waste disposal, pest control, basic sanitation supplies, laundry, and a sanitation action plan.

Chapter 10: Designer Food Storage Plans: What’s for Dinner covers the fact that just-in-time food delivery a wonder of modern life, until it is interrupted. You had better have certain kinds of food, and the right amount, on hand if that happens.

Chapter 11: Food Storage: How and Where explores the best storage methods and space for foods supplies.

Chapter 12: Fuel Safety and Storage, Come on, Baby, Light My Fire catalogs the kinds and do’s and don’ts of fuel storage and use.

Chapter 13: Emergency Lighting, I Can See Clearly Now presents the wonders of light, its sources, types, benefits, and uses.

Chapter 14: Emergency Heating, Baby, It’s Cold Outside explores the methods, uses, and impacts of a variety of heat sources and the dangers of the lack of heating (hypothermia, frostbite, etc.) and how to maintain heat when the power is off.

Chapter 15: Emergency Cooking, Now Power, No Problem presents the practical steps and alternatives you can take during crisis cooking.
Chapter 16: Shelter, Come In out of the Storm rethinks a basic we take for granted: shelter, a roof over our heads during extraordinary circumstances. It examines multiple shelter situations: disaster-related home repairs, sheltering-in-place, self-imposed isolation, sheltering against radiation exposure, portable shelter, and bug out locations.

Chapter 17: Keeping Cool, I’m Melting explores another basic of modern life we take for granted: air conditioning and the results of not having it readily available, especially for the vulnerable...the elderly and special needs people.

Chapter 18: Home Protection and Security, Safe at Home examines the wider world of keeping your home safe in your neighborhood. Specifically, it looks at operational security, know your neighborhood, home safety, organizing your domicile, home intruder inspection, home security, home appearance, lighting, sound, deterrents, landscape, doors, windows, secure valuables, tips for apartment dwellers, and
Creating a home protection and security action plan.

Chapter 19: Personal Safety, Don’t Mess with Me analyzes the particulars of keeping yourself protected. It looks at self-defense training, child safety and self-defense training, weapons, command voice, firearms, and creating a personal safety and security action plan.

Chapter 20: Medical, the Doctor is Out examines the complex matter of health. It examines physical health preparation, protecting your health during a crisis, health education, , creating a current medical information sheet, first-aid supplies, general storage of medications, over-the-counter medications, antibiotics, medication storage and shelf-life, hydration, medical equipment and supplies, self-quarantine, bringing it home, and creating a medical action plan.

Chapter 21: Community, We’re All in This Together opens with the line, “No matter how well we prepare for possible hazards, if our community is not prepared, we are in trouble.” This is a core value for all prepping and one that bothers me most about many prepper websites, blogs, forums, and preppers themselves. Many preppers posit that they are totally “self-sufficient.” That is impossible. We connected. We make it or fail individually, but also as part of a family, group, church, army, corporation, or nation.

Kylene and Jonathan recognize this truth by quoting John Donne’s famous line, “No Man is an island” and then prove it. “The benefits of the group might mean the difference between life and death” they state. Having just this month depended on state police, first responders, nurses, doctors, technicians and others to keep my 18-year old Eamon alive when he went from a horrible accident to an intensive care unit, I would have to agree. (See: http://poetslife.blogspot.com/2014/07...)

They examine how closely we are tied in sections examining: successful communities, relationship building, formal neighborhood organization, the first meeting, identifying group needs and resources, follow-up meeting, mock disaster, someone has to standup, community emergency response teams, and creating the community relationship action plan.

Chapter 22: Financial and Legal, Getting It all in Order analyzes the legal and financial aspects of prepping. It is divided into the following sections: organization, finances, building financial security, legal, and creating a financial and legal action plan.

Chapter 23: So Now What closes the book with a request to spread the word and encourage others to take up prepping while there is still time.

Kylene and Jonathan are experienced, socially-savvy preppers. Before they wrote this book, they have posted for years at their prepper blog (http://www.yourfamilyark.org/yfa-blog) and (The Provident Pepper http://theprovidentprepper.org/the-pr..., Our Family Garden Container Potato Harvest 2011 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuLCm...).

Visit their prepper website and blog and you will see even more practical suggestions for how to prepare to survive whatever comes our way. Like the book, their social media is positive, practical and prudent.

I wholeheartedly recommend The Practical Prepper to anyone who wants to know how to prep and for those who have a deep knowledge of the field. When I worked on a biohazard detection system to identify anthrax back in 2003, we created a “store of knowledge” manual that included everything anyone 50 years in the future would need to know about how it worked.

Practical Prepper is a “store of knowledge” for prepping. By using it judiciously, you will dramatically increase your chances of being around 50 years from now, and you will still find it useful then.
1,776 reviews8 followers
July 10, 2018
Covers the basics you need to consider when you start preparing for the worst thing to happen be it flood, war or lack of power
Profile Image for Sandra "Jeanz".
1,149 reviews163 followers
July 20, 2014
INITIAL THOUGHTS
I totally admit to being really curious about this book. Will it read like a dystopic/apocalyptic fictional story, or will it have real survival techniques? I also remember reading an Interview with author Mike Mullin of the Ashfall Series who states he actually used this type of book to make his post-apocalyptic series more realistic and accurate. The tragedy that triggers off the post apocalyptic scenario in his book was the Yellowstone Volcano erupting.

MY REVIEW
I received an e-copy of this book directly from the publishers Cedar Fort in exchange for my Promotional Spotlight and Review.
The cover image depicts a small house being "protected" by a strong looking pair of hands.
Three "incidents" are represented on the top right side of the cover in small circles, they are Hurricane, Fire and Flooding. There is also a sub title of "A Common Sense Guide To Prepardeness".
I totally admit to being fascinated in the dystopian and post apocalyptic genres in fiction as many people seem to be these days. There is also the constant threats of terror attacks and such that people worry about too. So I think it's inevitable that you would raise questions such as What if something awful happened that stopped transport & communication etc. I think this way of preparedness is all the more prevalent in America than here in the UK. In the UK we all seem to wander around with a "it'll never happen over here" attitude.
The book is one that I'd say should be on everyone's book shelf as a reference book, along with a medical reference book too.
As I have said this book is probably deemed to be more relevant to the US and the natural disasters that occur there but who knows what could happen? In the UK we seem to be having more and more crazy weather conditions.
The book suggests many scenarios and provides actions to the scenarios as well as things you can do in "preparedness" to prevent such a scenarios from impacting you and your family so much.
Some of the idea's can be implemented into your regular way if life, such as growing your own fruit and vegetable's. Hey! we could all save money by growing our own. It's just finding the time and space to do so.
The book also suggests keeping animals, such as chicken for their eggs and meet and maybe pigs and goats. Of course that only works if you have space and you're allowed to keep animals at your property.
Another use of the things you grown mentioned in the book is a bartering system. If money becomes a useless item than things you don't have and need could be bartered for with your own home grown food items.
The laws would most likely change to what is called "Marshall Law" where the "Army" could take the pace of the police. If items become scarce there could be looting and violence. The book suggests arming yourself (a gun or bow and arrows) or and learning to shoot to both kill animals for food (using bow and arrow) and using a bow and arrow or gun for self defense.
The book covers how to find drinkable water or how to purify the water you can find to be able to drink it.
There's sections on medicines, both keeping a supply of those you need and or substituting with naturally grown items that can be used for common ailments.
There are also lists of things you perhaps would think of, like pet food or food for any livestock you may have.
I found the book a fascinating, informative read. Yet at the same time a little scary thinking of all the things that can go wrong in the world and the realisation of how many things we take for granted on a daily basis. Life would certainly be a lot harder for example without water on tap, or central heating in the winter, or cooking without electricity or gas.
Having said that Kylene And Jonathan have done this "preparedness" and could live fairly well and survive most disasters.
Kylene and Jonathan also suggest getting together with some like minded people so that you could exist in your own small community, and share the work that needs to be done as well as having a perhaps wider skill range. More people = Less Work. More People = More Skills.
So did I enjoy the book? Yes I did Would I recommend the book? Yes, it's a book that you would want to keep and could dip in and out of for "normal" living too. Would I read another book by Kylene & Jonathan? Yes I think I would, even though this one is super comprehensive. Would I read another Prepper book? I'd certainly check others out too. It would be interesting to read a Prepper book wrote with tips etc for scenario's in a UK setting too.
2,320 reviews31 followers
July 15, 2014
4 STARS

I was given this ebook to review as part of its blog tour. I think I would like this book as a soft back or hardback better so easier to make notes and underline. Besides in emergency kindle might not be charged.

I like how they want you to figure out what risk for your area to help prepare for. For me every year power goes out for long term at least once every winter.

second is snowed in. I don't drive in heavy snow. So always want at least week food for me & pets. Always try and keep extra bag of pet food.

I have gone a week in winter without heat furnace problems. Lots of blankets. Was able to use electoral heater for one room. Now have down blanket for emergency.

I like all the different areas to work on but all the math drove me crazy. Also over loaded what need to do. So I decided what to work on right now. Bathroom problem I live in a 100 year old house that is now hooked to sewer, But out in back yard is a outhouse nailed shut for last 22 years so need to open and sweep.

Also light is essential for me the house has great big windows that work for light during day but not good to keep out cold especially in one room. Also have high ceilings so like tent idea inside.

The other major even for my area is earthquake. So all the windows will not help that problem.

With all the different options they give us for different budgets, needs, disaster for your area make it so everyone can do a little to prepare all the time. Maybe it is buying a case of water and couple extra cans when on sale.

They have a website http://theprovidentprepper.org/ where you can get worksheets to help you see what you need and to work on. You can download pdf forms.

It has a lot of good information. Plus they show you some websites to find out more information. This would be good to look at every month and see where you are or what you may want to work on next.

My action plan: 1 buy WaterBricks and fill them start with 4 (I bought 4 WaterBrick container from Amazon and used Amazon Gift cards I had. So I will have them soon as a start. Think might make a good gift.
2 Save empty juice bottles clean and fill
3 buy case of water when on sale
4 can heat & camp stove
5 go through can goods. Was actually doing that this week anyway.
6. wrench for natural gas
6 get more oil lamps fuel (did use one a few months when power was off for 8 hours.

Since I wrote this review I actually felt a earthquake two towns away like 15 minutes a 4.1 and one town away has had lots of 1 and 2's. Now lucky they are tiny but you never know what can happen around the corner.
Profile Image for Brooke's Epic Emporium.
850 reviews188 followers
July 17, 2014
My husband Jeff's Review:
I would like to thank Cedar Fort for sending me a copy of The Practical Prepper to review. I consider myself to be an intermediate level Prepper. The Practical Prepper is a very good book for anyone who is starting out prepping or thinking about starting out prepping. The book covers many different scenarios including earthquakes, wildfires, and hurricanes. What the book lacks in specifics, such as checklists, it makes up for with web links covering such topics. This approach is fairly unique and allows the authors to spend more time talking about a broad range of subjects rather than presenting the reader with lists of things to store or pack in a bag. The broad based knowledge gained from reading this book and the provided web links will help the reader develop his or her own lists customized to their own unique situations. Most chapters end with an "action plan." The action plan section provides a web link to worksheets that enable the reader to develop a plan to deal with the topics discussed in that chapter. Upon completing the book and all of the action plans, the reader can develop a master plan of preparedness.

All in all, I found d this to be a very good book for the beginner Prepper and would highly recommend it to anyone looking to start prepping. The book is an easy read. The provided web links give the reader access to more specific information not found in the book allowing the book to flow unobstructed by lists and checklists.
Profile Image for Dorine White.
Author 8 books109 followers
July 21, 2014
Okay, something a little different. My readers know that I love dystopian and apocalyptic books, well, going hand and hand with that is being ready for the end of the world. So, when this book came across my desk I jumped on it. The Practical Prepper by Kylene and Jonathan Jones is "a Common-Sense Guide to preparing for Emergencies."

So what does it include? I was thrilled to find really basic ideas that fit into every walk of life. There are chapters on communication, water storage, water purification, sanitation, emergency kits and food storage. There are also bits on natural disaster and nuclear war survival.

I was impressed by the amount of research that went into the book. I found it fun to look up some of the links and learn more. Really interesting to me were the links that allowed you to see the radius of nuclear fallout from different locations or to find where the closest nuclear reactor was.

Each chapter really goes into detail about its subject, but not so much that you become confused. For instance, there is info about HAM radio, but if you want to go in depth you can do more individual research. The point is that they list all the choices and you can look into whatever you'd like.

I even found out some things I'd never thought about before, which is rare because I love survival stuff- flannel squares for reusable toilet paper and Fritos for fire starers!

I loved the book and it is a great place to start. Don't be the one in the neighborhood that has to depend on everyone else for food and water. 5 stars!
Profile Image for Heather .
570 reviews99 followers
July 29, 2014
I grew up in a home with a very prepared mother who was always storing water, toilet paper, and "you name it" in our pantry, under our beds. I understood the importance of personal preparedness and emergency supplies. Still, I didn't know the deeper ins and outs of home storage or water purification. The Practical Prepper looked awfully daunting at over 300 pages, but once I dove in I found myself easily gliding through it all and soaking up the practical advice within. This book has websites for research, vignettes that illustrate different types of people, spreadsheets to help you plan your 72 hour kit and photos of the essentials.

I learned a lot and the authors really got me thinking about what would occur in the event of a natural disaster or war related threat and how my family would cope. I also truly enjoyed stories of canned goods that have stood the test of time in a sunken ship. Even for the most skeptical storer, this book is a must have! I do wish there was a list of supplies discussed at the end of each chapter because I found myself making mental lists and wanting to write things down as I read. It would help to have a shopping list or simple checklist for those of us who like to see things laid out and ready to mark. Otherwise, the Practical Prepper was the best book on preparedness I have read thus far. I would recommend purchasing it!
Profile Image for Cathy.
1,430 reviews35 followers
July 25, 2014
This book is a very good book to have around, I like that there are many different types of emergencies discussed in it. I like that it makes the steps of being prepared for pretty much any emergency you will ever face seem doable. It takes a huge seeming responsibility and breaks it down into manageable bites. The authors have done a really great job figuring out what they need to do and translating that into what pretty much everyone can do. I also like how they talk about what they would each do in certain situations, things like Kylene needing to have chocolate to survive, it makes them seem like someone you know that just lives down the street. Make sure to check out this informative book and get prepared before it's too late!
Profile Image for Molli Graham.
1 review
June 2, 2014
I finished this book today. I loved it! I can get overwhelmed with topics like this but as I was reading this book I felt more empowered than overwhelmed. It has great tips and is very practical. The author is very down to earth in her approach to this complex subject. The book was very informative and interesting to read. I highly recommend this to anyone who is just beginning to get prepared or to the one who is well on their way. I made notes throughout the book on things that I learned and want to take action on. Thanks for this great book!!
Profile Image for Katrina Long.
1 review1 follower
July 2, 2014

If a disaster strikes, our family desire is to, "thrive in the face of adversity," not just survive, and with this book I feel like we can now work towards achieving that goal. Wonderfully written the Jones highlight many things that we have overlooked in preparing our family for short and long-term emergencies. A must have for any family or personal library, we will be utilizing this book to reference many ideas. The bonus is they have many things you will now find your self needing to prepare and they reference their forms with web links for you to get access to get started.
Profile Image for Valerie.
1,662 reviews6 followers
May 14, 2015
Excellent, concise and thorough facts for people interested in preparing for any disaster! Lots of references and links to online material.
Profile Image for Mindy.
787 reviews76 followers
Read
July 21, 2014
Great resource for helping you with emergency preparedness.
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.