Start by marking “Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus: Fundamentals of 2D and 3D Game Programming” as Want to Read:

bThe Barnes Noble Review/bbrAndre LaMothe s been a legend among game programmers since the DOS ages. His iTricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, Second Edition/i is a rollercoaster of a book. First, you slowly edge your way up to the top, reviewing the fundamentals of Windows programming as the anticipation builds...then, instantaneously, you start a wild ride that ...more
Published September 27th 1999 by Sams

To ask other readers questions about Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus

Start your review of Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus: Fundamentals of 2D and 3D Game Programming
Mark Rebane
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book back in 2002. At the time I was a first year in a Computer Science degree and this book was a breath of fresh air for practical advice and provided my first understanding for how a game works from the inside-out.

Unfortunately, while the core structure is still true (to some extent) and the underlying algorithms are worth any game programmer knowing (Bresenham's line algorithm, matrix transformations, etc), the technologies used are both platform dependent and, at this time, utte
Aimal
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good thing for every one
Alexey Dubkov
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book! Had read it about 2002, when I was 19 yo. I read it from cover to cover and will recommend for all who want to learn the gamedev. Book detailed review all aspects of game development: 2D graphic, input\output, sound, algorithms, gamedev patterns and so forth. This book don't reviews 3D game at all. For 3D games I recomend another book of this author is "Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus".
Thank you Andre for so good book!
James Ravenscroft
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
An interesting chronicle of using microsoft products to program things. Even though it's aimed at Windows and uses the Direct X Toolkits, it contains some great fundamentals on programming games in general. A fantastic addition to any computer scientist's library.
Ahmed
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The first book that I read when I was 15 years old. A great book from my teacher, my friend Andre' LaMothe.
Jonathan
Feb 17, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Practical Lock Picking: A Physical Penetration Tester's Training Guide
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own a Continent
  • The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »