Start by marking “Padres in No Man's Land, First Edition: Canadian Chaplains and the Great War” as Want to Read:
Padres in No Man's Land, First Edition: Canadian Chaplains and the Great War

Padres in No Man's Land, First Edition: Canadian Chaplains and the Great War

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  3 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Tracing the growth of the Canadian Chaplain Service from its chaotic and controversy-ridden early days to its maturation as an efficient field force, Duff Crerar highlights both the role of the Service on the battlefield and the personal experiences of the chaplains. Refuting the widely held view that chaplains serving overseas were cloistered from front-line realities, Cr ...more
Published March 2nd 1995 by McGill-Queen's University Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Padres in No Man's Land, First Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Padres in No Man's Land, First Edition

Heather
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea how big a role that Chaplains played in the armed forces. The author is also a class act who signed my library's copy!
Marc Leroux
I found this to be a pretty interesting read. It details the role of the Clergy from Militia time to the aftermath of the war. I contains a pretty basic list of those that served, limited to the Canadian Expeditionary Force, but has extensive end-notes. I picked this up to look for reference to a specific man, but quickly found myself absorbed in the growing influence the Clergy played. It's the only book on the subject that I'm aware of, and I would recommend it.
Gwnhwyfer
A good overview of the role Christian clergy (from various denominations) played from the beginning to the aftermath of the Great War. Includes extensive notes, a good bibliography as well as a comprehensive list of the clergy (names, denomination and location(s) of service) who served with the CEF.
Geevee