Start by marking “Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)” as Want to Read:
Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)

Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars #2)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  6,139 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
"Prince of Dogs" returns readers to the war-torn kingdoms of Wendar and Varre, and the intertwined destinies of: Alain, raised in humble surroundings but now the Count's heir; Liath, who struggles to unravel the secrets of her past while evading the traps set for her by those seeking the treasure she hides; Sanglant, believed dead by those who could save him, but actually ...more
Published April 15th 2003 by Orbit (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Prince of Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince of Dogs

Allison
This is definitely a slow-moving series. I knew it from the first book, but I didn't feel it as much then. Maybe I should have taken a break before starting book two, because I found myself a bit impatient at the slowness this time around. I felt like events had built to a point in the last book that I was anxious for more to happen, only to have it spread out more and begin to build all over again.

So, the pace is slow. Not much actually happens in this installment. It is a second book, and it
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
I continue to enjoy this series; my forays into epic fantasy are infrequent these days, but I am glad I finally took the chance on this series despite mediocre reviews. Again, I intend to write a fuller review after reading the whole series.

So, this is a fun book; like the first, it features a grounded medieval world peopled by a large cast of believable characters. Elliott takes an unexpected turn in this book – after reading a lot of epic fantasy, I generally expect that I know where the plots
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The Crown of Stars series is well-thought out and obviously well-planned. It's epic in scope and it's got a lot of texture. There are many complex characters who we follow in parallel, as in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. Some of them are very likable, and there are some really excellent villains (e.g., Hugh). Ms. Elliott's creatures are imaginative and enjoyable, and I especially liked the way they interact with the humans. Ms. Elliott uses a lot of descr
Kayleigh
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Since Elliott introduces about half a dozen new subplots and at least ten new characters, Prince of Dogs is a fair bit more complicated than its predecessor King's Dragon, and as a result feels like a massive undertaking even though the book itself is only slightly more than 600 pages (long, yes, but not massive). The new plot threads blended well with those set forth in the first book (and will probably become more important later in the series), but they did slow down the pace of the story, an ...more
Dave
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Shelves: fantasy
The problem with re-reading a series that you read quite a while ago is you have a vague idea where the story is going and what is going to happen, but you forget most of the details.
Actually, that might be a good thing. I got to enjoy most of this series twice that way. :)

This book is no different. If you aren't pulling for the heroes and cursing the villains by now, stop reading. You don't deserve this series.
Seriously, Kate Elliot has created some of the most believable characters I've read.
Mike Salzman
As opposed to the first book, there's about 75 pages in here that are interesting. There are plot lines that I'm really interested in and would like to see continue, but is it worth having to slog through 600 pages of religious dogma? Hmmmm..... no. I gave up on the series after this.
Leseparatist
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2015
The honest-to-goodness-ugly, aged cover and the somewhat old-school elements of worldbuilding (medieval Europe, elves, evil mages) might obscure a novel that has aged very well and ultimately might not appeal to me more than Song of Ice and Fire (because much as I hate those books, they are so, so well-paced early on, and so compulsive and fan-friendly) but seems better structured (slow-paced but gathering momentum rather than losing it) and more thoughtful (so we don't get stuck reading about t ...more
Servius  Heiner
Nov 15, 2007 rated it liked it
As I said before, the first book in the series was really just character development. There was a bit more “meat and potatoes" it this one. The plots are unfolding, with a little bit of unreliable narratives. The story is good, and Kate Elliot’s characters are lovable, loathsome, and easy to befriend, or wish dead.
Carla Ehrenreich
not as good as first but will prob give#3 a chance
Jun 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy, war
I'm really disappointed! I really, really enjoyed the first book in the series but this book fizzled out for me in a big way. I think the length could have been cut by a fourth, at least, with no negative impact on the story. I really enjoy long, long books so it is very rare for me to complain about length. In fact, I think this might be the first one I've complained about in that fashion, ever. It was just too long. The story was way too drawn out. It took pages and pages to talk about somethi ...more
Gilda Felt
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s taken me almost a year to get back to this series, so I wasn’t clear as to what was going on at first. But the more I read, the more I remembered. And what I remembered most was how much I had enjoyed the first book, and why.

First, I love many of the main characters protagonists. They’re not perfect, but each is trying, to the best of their abilities, to survive and to, perhaps, make a difference. Secondly, while the story is complex, it’s not hard to follow, as each situation, along with i
Sara
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic
I loved this book. I am loving this entire series. I still have no much idea what it's about but it has such a well developed world with such interesting singular characters, I don't much care that I cannot pinpoint a "plot".
Of course many things happen in this book, and many lives are changed, and I just care about that so much I sort of forget to wonder what for. Well, like most people's lives in the medieval ages, for not much reason.
I really enjoy Liath, yes, she is whiny sometimes, but her
Herpa Flerpa
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
This book isn't bad, but it certainly is bland. As fresh and interesting as the world is, Elliott relies on the same old fantasy tropes that have been making the literary rounds for years now.

Reluctant hero who believes in "justice" and regrets his rise to power? Check.

Mysterious heroine with a power she never knew she had? Check.

Ham-fisted political "intrigue" that boils down to "evil relative wants to take over the country"? Double check.

These things aren't bad - just boring. That's the bes
Paul
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
I started this series years ago and to be honest I don't really remember it except it was jumping between two characters Alain and Liath. I started reading them while I was working in a call center, and I remember being really annoyed at incoming calls interrupting my reading of the series. I fully intend on getting this book again in the near future and rereading it.
Armando Alvarez
Sep 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ages 17 and up
this book is more intresting than the first and the third. To me its not as complex and you learn more about sanglant (pronounced -sawn-glawnt-)and also more about alain and his conflicts in the story. (my favorite character besides fifth son) you learn abit about fifth son in this book but no more than a chapter or two if he is lucky. you also learn about the inner conlflicts king henry faces.
Marilyn
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Guess I read this quicker than I thought because I never added it to my currently reading list. Really liked this book though I just couldn't get into all the saint days. There are many different threads going on and I must say it turned out a bit different then I thought it would. Started the third book immediately.
Kristi-anne
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read these a while ago and was one of best sets I read so far, so anticipating all the way through all 7 books omg such good set I wished they never end, one of those where you finish and think "NOW WHAT?! :("
AWESOME!
Armando Alvarez
Sep 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
if you loved the first book of the crown of star series you will grow to love this one as well.
Jaime Calahan
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Really sucked me in and kept the excitement way up. Hugh is the creepiest antagonist I've read to date.
Maggie Kern
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
As good as the first in the series.
Morgan
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It would be overkill to write a lengthy review for every single book in this series, but I can tell you succinctly that I'm nearly done with book 3, and I definitely intend to continue reading. I initially bought books 1-3 just to give the series a shot, and halfway through Prince of Dogs, I ordered the remaining four of the series. That's how positive I was about it! I knew I would want to keep going!

There were a lot of wonderful parts in this book that made me yell or gasp out loud, which I ju
Charles
Stuff I Read – Prince of Dogs by Kate Elliott Review

I think I have a weird way of reading this series. Namely, that it's been about two years since I read the first book and I'm just now getting the second one. Which is not to say that I didn't like the first book. It was incredibly difficult to read at times, but it was still good and still what I like in a fantasy series. It's just that I had stumbled across the book and it took this long to stumble across the next one. But the series has only
Casey Nash
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was recommended by a friend, and I... don't get it. I forgot the entirety of the book's contents within hours of completing it. I understand there's a whole slew of sequels and... I'm not up for it.
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like a lot of the characters, and how they're all weaving together into one large story.
Mei-Lu
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is the second in the seven volume epic fantasy series called Crown of Stars. In the first book, teenaged Liath meets Prince Sanglant and falls in love with him (based on a couple of conversations and yearning glances across a crowded room) we suspect, but don't really know, if Prince Sanglant returns Liath's feelings. In Prince of Dogs, Sanglant becomes a POV character and we get his side of the story, too. Oh my God, you guys, they TOTALLY love each other!!

This series very much feels
Erin
Aug 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Edited to add what I LIKE about the books!!!:

After reading partway through the second book of the Crown of Stars series, I've finally come to realize what my two major issues with Kate Elliott are - that she does not do a good job of building long term suspense, and does not put a creative enough spin on the "real world" religion and history she's used to keep things interesting.

An essential element for me when I read fantasy is feeling like there's a new and interesting world at my fingertips,
Rindis
Oct 02, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The second book of Crown of Stars definitely suffers from a fracturing of the plot, with eight different viewpoint characters, most of which get turns from the get-go. Only one of these is a completely new character, and Anna's story serves as something of the spine of the book, covering the plight of a pair of orphans after the taking of Gent. Unfortunately, even though her arc moves from a unstable equilibrium to a new, much better one at the end, it still feels partly unresolved, keeping Pric ...more
Farseer
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm sorry for giving a low rating to a well-written series like this. But I grew frustrated with it and after book 2 I decided not to continue.

Make no mistake, this series is very good in some senses. It is well-written, and Kate Elliott is a master worldbuilder. She bases her books on medieval Europe, which is a trick used by many fantasy writers to help them in their worldbuilding, but she uses that technique very well, making her secondary world strange and magical enough that this never feel
Mandy Magill
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JOHN
Recommended to Mandy by: AARON
Shelves: 1-owned-books
Book II of the Crown series

This book continues the long journeys for Alain, Liath and the handsome prince Sanglant she met in the previous book. More mysteries are starting to unravel to reveal the characters past and connections.

I read this book and was still in love with the book and the characters. I couldn't read it fast enough to get to the next one!

2016:
Sanglant: Is now a prisoner of the Eika leader Bloodheart, and he can not even die to escape his torture. The Eika dogs surround him wait
Dee
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The first half of the book drags on so slowly I was tempted to give it up at moments. I skimmed through some lengthy, tiresome descriptions, others I skipped altogether, and so I finally managed to fight my way through the first half. And then it suddenly became very, very interesting. It picked up pace (I still skimmed and skipped some portions because they dragged along). And the suspense… you know, the kind that makes your legs cramp!
The characters are, actually, the only reason I continued
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • The Mageborn Traitor (Exiles, #2)
  • The Fire Dragon (Deverry, #11; Dragon Mage, #3)
  • Breath and Bone (Lighthouse, #2)
  • The Blood Knight (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #3)
  • Grand Conspiracy (Wars of Light & Shadow #5; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #2)
  • The Warrior's Bond (The Tales of Einarinn #4)
  • Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2)
  • Wild Magic (Fool's Gold, #2)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
As a child in rural Oregon, Kate Elliott made up stories because she longed to escape to a world of lurid adventure fiction. She now writes fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction, often with a romantic edge. It should therefore come as no surprise that she met her future husband in a sword fight.

When he gave up police work to study archaeology, they and their three children fell into an entirely
More about Kate Elliott...

Crown of Stars (7 books)
  • King's Dragon (Crown of Stars, #1)
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • The Gathering Storm (Crown of Stars, #5)
  • In the Ruins (Crown of Stars, #6)
  • Crown of Stars (Crown of Stars, #7)

“It is not in Victory that you learn how strong you truly are.
- Stronghand”