Start by marking “Principles of Biomedical Ethics” as Want to Read:
Principles of Biomedical Ethics

Principles of Biomedical Ethics

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  196 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This edition represents a thorough-going revision of what has become a classic text in biomedical ethics. Major structural changes mark the revision. The authors have added a new concluding chapter on methods that, along with its companion chapter on moral theory, emphasizes convergence across theories, coherence in moral justification, and the common morality. They have s ...more
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 472 pages
Published February 15th 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published November 30th 1978)

Jean Schulte
Jun 21, 2011 is currently reading it
Very dry, but what do you expect, it is a textbook. We just finished our module on respect for autonomy and I do have a quote that sticks in my head concerning the best interest standard (principle for a surrogate decision maker for a formerly competent person): "Best interest judgments are meant to focus attention entirely on the value of life for the person who must live it not on the value the person's life has for others." How true.
Terri
Jun 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this for a Bioethics course in college. Would really like to revisit and re-read before I start seeing patients :)
Lane Wilkinson
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
I decided to use this book for my Biomedical Ethics course. One-third of the way through the course, I have decided that this is a fine introduction to Biomedical Ethics. The approach is rooted in principlism, detailing what the authors deem the four main principles of Biomedical Ethics (autonomy, non-maleficence, benificence, and justice). I admit that I find the layout of the book somewhat unsatisfactory:
(1) The chapters on general, normative ethical theories appear at the end of the book.
(2)
zoom-zoom
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A well written introduction to the interdisciplinary field of medical ethics. It contains both theory and application that can be implemented in medical review boards as well as hospital ethics committees. However, applying these principles does require a basic understanding of philosophy and law; relative to medicine.

My advice: I recommend potential readers to understand the philosophy of medicine before actually reading Beauchamp. It will certainly help you critically analyze the logic of med
Bee
May 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Principlism 101, if you need to start somewhere on the subject, start here. However I don't really adhere to the train of thought, so while I have no qualms with the quality of this book, I'm not mindblown by the content.
TJ
Aug 26, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: textbooks
Bioethics and health care policy - Principles of Health Care Ethics
Mandy
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very much a textbook... I learned a lot, but it isn't light reading for a non-philosophy student!
Chris Mcmanaman
Jun 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-ethics
A little dry but thorough
Brenda Srof
May 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in preparation for the Bioethics Institute at Georgetown. This is indeed one of the most classic pieces of literature in bioethics.
Edma
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fakultet
You learn quite a lot from a bioethical book like this. On my final project I took neuroethics and it came out really good.
Seyed
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
the authors tried to explain main ethical principles in this book, but I think it does not have adequate structure.
Iman
Nov 15, 2016
Joona
Aug 25, 2016
Vinoth Kumar
rated it did not like it
Oct 27, 2015
  • The Other Side of Eden: Hunters, Farmers, and the Shaping of the World
  • Ethics and the Limits of Philosophy
  • Dialogue Between Fashion and Death
  • The Education of a WASP
  • A Cancer Therapy: Results of Fifty Cases and the Cure of Advanced Cancer by Diet Therapy
  • Women, Poverty, and AIDS: Sex, Drugs, and Structural Violence
  • The Power of Nonviolence: Writings by Advocates of Peace
  • A Life of One's Own
  • Readings for Diversity and Social Justice: An Anthology on Racism, Sexism, Anti-Semitism, Heterosexism, Classism, and Ableism
  • The Greatest Benefit to Mankind: A Medical History of Humanity (Norton History of Science)
  • Multiculturalism