Start by marking “One Thing At a Time: 100 Simple Ways to Live Clutter-Free Every Day” as Want to Read:
One Thing At a Time: 100 Simple Ways to Live Clutter-Free Every Day

One Thing At a Time: 100 Simple Ways to Live Clutter-Free Every Day

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  240 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Simple, effective ways to put things in their place

Those piles of papers, clothes, and other things you thought you'd successfully de-cluttered have returned, and this time they brought friends. What's the use of trying to fight the clutter? Is there a better way?

This powerful and useful guide delivers solutions that work, no matter how overwhelmed you feel. The answer isn
Published July 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about One Thing At a Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Thing At a Time

Patty
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I am saying this, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! I rarely give 5 stars to a book, but this one deserves it!

As I was reading some of the other reviews, I will say this - the book is written for those of us who have a hard time with organization. Furthermore, her writing style is great for someone with a short attention span! She lists 100 tips, each one taking up a page to a page and a half. My house is so much more organized and clutter-free after reading this book,
T Crockett
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a great companion read - something you can pick up, read a section (usually 1-2 pages) and then put down again. I was worried the book might just be a bunch of organizing tips and praise for labeling machines. It's not like that at all. Glovinsky goes beyond organizing to get at the emotions that lead to the creation of clutter in the first place. The tone is friendly and the advice clearly comes from someone who has worked with A LOT of people, so she knows one size does not fit al ...more
Bethany Lockhart
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-library
I'm a sucker for organizing how to's. Especially one that breaks big, daunting projects into bite sized chunks. Written with easily relatable tips and advice, author Glovinsky also helps to look at causes behind the clutter-- to help you make real change. There were even a few humorous moments thrown in! Gotta love keeping a sense of humor about clutter management.
Lisbethlevine
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've started a lot of organizing and time-management books, but this one I actually finished. Cindy Glovinsky doles out one tip at a time, making it easy to read the book in short bursts and start applying what you learned. Some of the tips are outdated due to changes in technology and some are so basic that you wonder whether they need to take up real estate on these pages, but overall, I got a lot out of it. Her mantra, "one thing at a time," really works when my brain is spinning in too many ...more
Tina Razzell
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
One Thing at a Time – Book Review

The book contains 100 simple ways to live clutter free every day. The chapters are short, but contain a lot of useful advice. Here are a few ideas from the book that spoke to me:

Keep It Moving
In both the chapter on laundry and the chapter on dishes, the author urges us to “keep the clothes moving on” and “keep the dishes moving on”. We need to realize that dishes and clothes are a fact of life and move them to the next stage of the process to get them clean and p
Cindy
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this organizing book - it is organized into 100 short suggestions (no more than 2 to 3 pages) to help with getting clutter under control. Her suggestion is to read this through and then go back and select/work on/implement those bits that speak to your particular problem areas. I think it's a good suggestion and have marked a few passages for further action:

Living clutter-free requires that you take care of yourself. Things have a way of piling up when you don't feel energetic and happy.
Ruthmgon
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: decluttering
I really really like this one...it has some good ideas. It is laid out so you can stop and start at any section, after the introduction which goes over one or two of the authors basic tenants. Most sections or chapters are about one page long-easy to digest and ponder or skip on to the next. They have some immediately useful ideas, ones you can make use of mid sort without having to remember why was that way of doing my files important?

Sometimes when I need a push to keep motivated, one small i
Kathleen
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: simplicity
I'm very picky about what books to keep on my bookshelf, and this one I am keeping.

The author, Cindy Glovinsky is very sweet and patient within this book in explaining a long list of different tips to help a variety of different people with different needs and personalities in keeping your things organized, clean, and clutter-free. The author doesn't scold you for making a mess of things, but rather helps you to see with a few different steps that you can make a difference in the cleanliness of
Katherine
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful

Easy to read. At least one item from this book will stay in your mind or memory. I read this 10yrs ago. My bf threw it away and I have tried to find alternatives but this book is irreplaceable for scattered minds. I am excited to see how much use it gets on my kindle fire tablet. I would like a paperback version but enjoy the ability to always have this available via phone, tablet, kindle, or pc.
Amy
May 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
Good advice. I mostly skimmed this because I didn't have time to read stories about every single 100 tips. I like self-help books simply because I become motivated regardless of the effectiveness of the author. They just get me in the frame of mind to make change in my life.
Dolly
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who want a laundry list of ideas to help clear clutter
Shelves: 2015, nonfiction
Dated and contrary to much of what Marie Kondō says in her popular book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, this book offers a laundry list of 100 suggestions to help clear clutter.

The topics were each short reads that were designed to give the reader a specific chore to complete, but they weren't very cohesive and many seemed to only conceal clutter (put it in a box, neat stack, or file) more so than rid a person of it.

Having recently read Ms. Kondō's book, I was less than impressed.

Meh.
Kathy
Dec 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
A few weeks ago when I asked friends for recommendations on home organization books, almost everyone answered, "Have you seen my house?". They wanted me to let them know, however, if I found any good books. Well, I haven't. This book is not intended for anyone who has even the remotest bit of organization in their lives. I can't think of anyone I know who would benefit from this book.
Coreyann
Mar 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: organization
Simple ways to declutter. Most were not "ah-ha" moments but more common sense. I did, however, find it motivational to an extent. I gifted this book on to someone else who may also find it inspiring to clear the junk from life.
Mycala
Apr 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Cute book! While I already do a lot of things suggested in here, there were enough other ideas that I still found it to be helpful and informative.
Hend
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
More than perfect. Im in the middle of it and it already changed me :))
Leanne
Jul 16, 2010 rated it liked it
A very easy-to-read help book. Some chapters didn't apply to me but some were interesting and helpful.
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I can't praise the author enough. I am new to living clutter-free and this book was a an eye-opener for me.
Marijke Dyke
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kobo
If you are new at decluttering than this book is for you. Even die hards can glean a few nuggets. The chapters are short and an easy read.
Maria (Ri)
Lots of good reminders and tips in here for maintaining a clutter free home after you've made the big purge.
Mary Luzader
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book better then the very trendy The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. This books presents 100 simple, realistic ideas for tidying and decluttering your home and your life.
Jen
Jan 21, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a good step by step book. Some great ideas.
Lorna
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This is a good book to read while preparing to move. The most helpful advice for me is the same as the title: one thing at a time!
Grace Carpenter
skimmed it. many suggestions I already use. but the author has a zen approach that is appealing.
MSP
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Easy reading and helpful. I was able to use the strategies at home and work and I still find myself quoting some of her de-cluttering rules.
Kjersti
Apr 09, 2015
Jen T.S.
May 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Organizing Plain & Simple: A Ready Reference Guide with Hundreds of Solutions to Your Everyday Clutter Challenges
  • Organizing Magic: 40 Days to a Well-Ordered Home and Life
  • How to Organize (Just About) Everything: More Than 500 Step-By-Step Instructions for Everything from Organizing Your Closets to Planning a Wedding to Creating a Flawless Filing System
  • Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • The Clutter Diet: The Skinny on Organizing Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • Clutter Rehab: 101 Tips and Tricks to Become an Organization Junkie and Love It!
  • Clutter's Last Stand: It's Time to de-Junk Your Life!
  • Houseworks: Cut the Clutter, Speed Your Cleaning and Calm the Chaos
  • Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • Organize Now!: A Week by Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life!
  • Banish Clutter Forever: How the Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life
  • Clutter Busting: Letting Go of What's Holding You Back
  • Conquering Chronic Disorganization
  • The House that Cleans Itself: Creative Solutions for a Clean and Orderly House in Less Time Than You Can Imagine
  • Simplify Your Life: Get Organized and Stay That Way