Start by marking “Black Code: Inside the Battle for Cyberspace” as Want to Read:
Black Code: Inside the Battle for Cyberspace

Black Code: Inside the Battle for Cyberspace

Cyberspace is all around us. We depend on it for everything we do. We have reengineered our business, governance, and social relations around a planetary network unlike any before it. But there are dangers looming, and malign forces are threatening to transform this extraordinary domain.

In Black Code, Ronald J. Deibert, a leading expert on digital technology, security, and

Published May 14th 2013 by Signal

To ask other readers questions about Black Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Code

Start your review of Black Code: Inside the Battle for Cyberspace
Wayne
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
When I got this book I thought it would be about how our personal computers, cell phones and even TV's are being hacked and how this threa twould affect the way we use these devices. Instead the book is mostly about how the internet is being used by private companies and governments to spy on one another and us. The book succeeds in making the reader aware of the growing menace to ourselves and how the internet is changing but there were many spots where the book gave us information such as how ...more
Robert Bor
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
First off, the author is obviously very knowledgeable and a titan in the field. The situations he describes are impressive and so are the feats of his non-profit organization, Citizen Lab.

What worries me most is the political agenda of the author. Let us just look at one of the issues mentioned in the book – the Arab Spring. Mr Deibert is quite pleased with the role that hacktivists played in supporting the Arab Spring. Somehow, the Arab Spring succeeded in ejecting autocratic rulers from power.
Blithe
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent exploration of the security and privacy landscape as it relates to the individual, the consumer, the business and the state.
Jon
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Given that this was published in 2013, it should be less than useless by now. It was certainly dated, but pertinent enough to finish.
am
Apr 27, 2019 added it
I thought it would be interesting to re-read this book, now many years later.
Barry
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Largely insightful and very well informed, but with a slightly annoying style (a hundred times he must have said 'South and East', where South implies all of sub-Saharan Africa, both sides of the equator, and doesn't seem to include Australia and New Zealand; he has a very odd meaning of 'download'; and he's such a fan of Gibson's term cyberspace apparently without having read Neuromancer).
Steve Callahan
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Full of facts and figures proving how everything we do on the internet can be and is viewed by governments, not always our own, corporations and thieves. Nothing we didn't already know, just the proof to back up what we always knew.
Luke Anderson
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read, a fantastic insight to what is wrong with the internet & surveillance. Not technical at all.
Katharine Rudzitis
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Accessible even to people without a background in comp sci or related areas. It'll make you want to change some of your online habits!
Jeff
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Some chapters were really thought provoking and others I had no interest in and wanted to skip.
Sal Fernz
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Preaching to the choir, but valuable resource for those less informed.
Pieter
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tech
Pre-Snowden depiction of the global surveillance industry complex. Alarming, sometimes astonishing read.
Sam
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really interesting, but lapses of basic terminology were a disappointment that mildly damaged the credibility of the book. A technically solid proof reader should have been involved.
Sha Li
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Your worst fears

All your worst fears substantiated and exposed-- Sovereign nations do it and criminals do it. Everyone is in a race to dominate the net below the net.
Brian
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book providing useful discussion points about security and privacy of the Internet as well as the role of government and IT companies with the way forward for the Internet
Kim Leandersson
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Overall an ok book on the topic, but it lacked details so it became to much overviews, high level descriptions etc. Maybe good as an introduction for someone, but not sure about that either.
Fedogo
Apr 17, 2014
Scott Kindle
May 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind Bitcoin Is Changing Money, Business, and the World
  • War on Peace: The End of Diplomacy and the Decline of American Influence
  • The Art of Gathering: How We Meet and Why It Matters
  • How We Learn: The Surprising Truth About When, Where, and Why It Happens
  • Younger Next Year: A Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond
  • The Targeter: My Life in the CIA, Hunting Terrorists and Challenging the White House
  • Freefall: America, Free Markets, and the Sinking of the World Economy
  • Infinite Powers: How Calculus Reveals the Secrets of the Universe
  • Serial
  • 100 Deadly Skills: The SEAL Operative's Guide to Eluding Pursuers, Evading Capture, and Surviving Any Dangerous Situation
  • Contrary to Popular Belief: More than 250 False Facts Revealed
  • The Conde Nast Traveler Book of Unforgettable Journeys: Great Writers on Great Places
  • How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • The Dark Net: Inside the Digital Underworld
  • The Undoing Project: A Friendship That Changed Our Minds

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »