Start by marking “The Promised Land” as Want to Read:
The Promised Land

The Promised Land

A young farmer and his wife who have migrated to Tanzania from Kenya become embroiled in issues of personal jealousy and materialism, and a melodramatic tale of tribal hatreds ensues. The novel explores Ogot's concept of the ideal African wife: obedient and submissive to her husband; family and community orientated; and committed to non-materialist goals. The style is dist ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by East African Educ. Publ. (first published 1966)

Mohamed ElGohary
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A friend of mine who lives in Kenya got me this book. It hit me deeply how can Kenya and Egypt be so similar regarding family ties and traditions, and how local traditions are sometimes considered part of religion, sometimes even overwhelming it. Whenever you read the first chapter you won't leave it till the end.

I give this book 5/5, I really enjoyed it, and it gave me an idea why Egypt should be explicitly back to her African roots.
Dorcas
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
It was a great read. I really felt in touch with the characters and interacted with them the end was a bit abrupt though.
Hardcorekancil
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
The plot is quite simple but it remains a powerful story.
Wim
Nice and short read set in the traditional rural west of Kenya and Tanganyika before independence. Tragic story of rural migrants and tensions with between them and the original population. The book gives insights in local customs and beliefs and is beautifully written.
Kennedy Kenvylle
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
the best
Nyakallo Maleke
one of Kenya's early writers who beautifully and maturely captures the difficulty of migration, marriage, otherness, home, tribalism, being the supportive wife in a conservative and traditional society and African context where, as women, we are told to stay and to support the man. as women, society always asks of us to sacrifice more, for the sake of the man, marriage or children. Ogot emphatically takes us through the journey of homecoming.
N. Jr.
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cross-culture
Powerful book. The suspense is there from the beginning - the trauma of re-settling in a strange place and how you will be perceived by the inhabitants, eventually turns into a nightmare.
Grace Ogot is one of my favorite Kenyan writers.
Najib
Mar 19, 2015 added it
good
Rhiannon Grant
Sep 23, 2016 added it
Shelves: fiction
I found the wife, Nypol, an especially well-drawn character.
Gesa Ouma
Peter Ochanda
Sep 04, 2018
Hamibrah Raganyi
Dec 27, 2017
Grace Ogot (May 15, 1930 – March 18, 2015) was a Kenyan author, nurse, journalist, politician and diplomat. Together with Charity Waciuma she is the first Anglophone female Kenyan writer to be published.

(from Wikipedia)