Start by marking “The Beast (The Beast, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Beast (The Beast, #1)

The Beast

(The Beast #1)

Dimitri Sokolov is a man scarred, physically and emotionally. From the rough streets of Moscow to the highest ranks in the Solntsevskaya Bratva, he has seen it all.

An attack four years ago left him disfigured and in seclusion, hiding from reactions to his appearance and in safety from those who failed to kill him the first time.

Comfortable in his penthouse, managing his bi
Published March 16th 2014 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about The Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beast

Jamie
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dark-romance
Uh..... this book was really REALLY bizarre... I will just sum my thoughts up with.....

And then....

and then...

and finally......

Jaden Wilkes
Nov 28, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Once again, I am about to hit publish on a book that I wrote. Although in this case, I feel like I just transcribed events for you, Dimitri was the one in charge here.

Dimitri, Dimitri, Dimitri...oh how I love you, you complicated, brooding man. Columbia...wow, I certainly didn't know you had it in you. I just adore you both.

I suppose this isn't rapey/murdery enough for some connoisseurs of "dark erotica", but too much for others. I like to think of it as an in between, existing in some unclassif
Shanyn
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A lot of books are slow burns. They spend a lot of page time working up to the main conflict or event that happens in the story, allowing the reader to get to know the characters, see them respond in a number of different circumstances and build the suspense. It’s a good formula. But occasionally, I’ll find an author who takes all semblance of a working formula and not only throws it out the window, but lights that sucker up like a Molotov cocktail and pitches it at the nearest cop car.

The Beast
ZARIA (Sheldon Cooper lover)
Oh, well, this turns out to be a very average dark erotica with tons of cliché moments.
Columbia is a cutter, one who cuts to releive herself from an emotional pain.
“You will no longer cut yourself. I will not let you damage my property,” he said. “Do you understand?”
she replied, “Yes,” and let him continue.

Columbia was in one word weak.
“Are you ready to ask me for my cock?”
“I want to go home, let me go,” she whispered.
“Do you want me to stop?”
“Ye-,” she started to say but stopped when he slid th
Baba
Feb 21, 2014 marked it as to-read
I'VE GOT A SERIOUS CASE OF COVER LUST.
Dina
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
2 stars...

Seriously!

Had a HUGE potential.. until it started sounding really familiar. And when I say familiar, I mean that in terms of the good ol' phrases that's been used before. Been there, done that. It was predictable.. and I mean, really predictable.

I don't mind the dark; I'm a big fan of it, really! But, and I'm sorry to say this, the darkness in this book was almost mocked!! I mean, she'd been abused by (view spoiler). She ha
~ Becs ~
The Beast really is a modern day retelling of the classic Beauty and the Beast story but, be warned, this is no fairy-tale. In the fairy-tale Belle’s goodness healed the Beast and he became a charming and handsome man. In this story, it’s far more a case of our heroine discovering the darkness in her Beast and finding that she really rather likes it and deciding to stay there with him.

Dimitri is our Beast and he’s a Russian criminal underlord whose mentor has turned on him and attempted to kill
Gwen ~the Book Diva
4 "could have made it to 5" Stars!

Recommended for: fans of dark, gritty and "is it wrong that I'm smiling?" reads.

"They were twisted and dark and scarred and damaged...but they were perfectly normal and perfect for each other."

The Beast started off so well and had all the components of an ugly, dark and twisted story that could curl my toes and corrupt my mind:

- Hot as hell badass with almost no moral conscience.

- He falls for a naive girl from an abusive home.

- The girl likes to self dest
Amanda
2 'B&B + Fifty + mafia' stars

The only thing I like about this book is the prologue and the epilogue. Everything in the middle are unbelievable.

The Beast, Dimitri was an ex-Bratva enforcer who is hiding away and biding his time to exact revenge on his ex-boss, Sergei for trying to kill him and caused him to have half a scarred face.

The Beauty, Colombia was a pseudo-activist (now I know why the blurb mentioned 'pseudo') and a victim of being sexually abused by her stepfather for years.

I'm ex
MsRomanticReads

Rating: 4.5

Note: HEED the warning in the book blurb! This story contained elements of choking, violence and mentions of rape.

The author stated that this story wasn’t a fairy tale, however I found aspects of it to be just that. A dark, twisted, fairy tale that only made sense to the protagonists. Dimitri was barely twelve years old when he killed his father for passing him off to friends to be sexually abused. Living on the streets in Russia had been a test in survival. Then he was caught pickpoc
Moxie

This is not your average fairytale. I am giving you a warning, this is a dark book. A story of two tortured souls who find each other in darkness and fill the others' emptiness. There are situations that may be uncomfortable for some to read (view spoiler)

That being said, The Beast is a deliciously deviant book. One I couldn’t put down once I started.

Dimitri Sokolov
Dangerous, deadly and tortured. A combination a
Breezy *Lover of all things Alpha Male*
Tiffany
Mar 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Horrible. I actually laughed out loud at how bad this book was. The sample was decent. So, I decided to purchase the book. Thank goodness for the lawsuit settlement money from Amazon. I think I would have returned this book if I had paid anything out of pocket for it.

I do applaud Jaden Wilkes for being able to stretch this book into a full length novel. Basically every chapter was written in one character's pov or the other. Only they were repeats of the same events. It was very unnecessary. I c
Kasia
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 Beast Stars

This book is dark, delicious and disturbing, at the same time it's brilliantly thought out and written to perfection.
Honestly this was the perfect story of two very broken, very destroyed people living a very lonely life, yet together they created something tragically beautiful.
 Rosebud
Dimitri Sokolov, aka enforcer, aka Beast, had pledged his life and loyalty to a prominent Russian Bratva only to be targeted for assassination when he's accused of disloyalty to Sergei, the Bratva's leader. Barely surviving, Dimitri reemerges with a new identity and life far from Russia, plotting for the day he can repay those who tried to kill him.

Columbia Grey wants to make a difference in her community which is why she agrees to infiltrate the highly guarded secure penthouse home of a CEO who
Red Cheeks Reads
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I want to start this review much the same way Jaden Wilkes starts off her book, with a bit of a warning!
[image error]
This is a dark book that deals with topics not everyone is prepared to read about. There is talk of both abuse and rape as well as a good share of some BDSM. If these are not things you are comfortable reading about then this book isn’t for you. That being said I LOVED this dark story. This un-fairy tale is still so much of a fairy tale for me! The two people could not be more dif
Jamie Roberts
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Visit Reading Eating & Dreaming for more reviews by Jamie, Dana and Morgan!

4 EMOTIONALLY CAPTURING STARS!

“This ARC was kindly given to me in exchange for an honest review.”

Right from the get-go, The Beast reminded me of the classic Disney tale, Beauty and the Beast but it entails a much darker plot with emotionally damaged characters. This story is specifically geared for a mature adult audience.

“I trust you with my life, my heart, with everything. I belong to you.” –Columbia

Columbia and Dim
❤Casey❤
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark, favorites
I loved this story of two broken people coming together by accident(or kidnapping)and going on a journey of self-discovery with each other.

Dimitri is a former "Enforcer" with a Russian Bratva. His old boss, Sergei, turned against him and set him on fire causing hideous scars to half of his body. Dimitri goes into hiding to plot his revenge against Sergei. He lives in a fortress in the sky with a full time staff that never sees his face. The only person that he has face to face contact with is hi
FMR Book Grind
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
CARMIE'S REVIEW -

The Beauty’s love slayed The Beast.

Who is The Beast? His name is Dimitri, a former enforcer for the Russian Mafia. He stands 6’6” and is a “mountain of flesh rippling over bulging muscles.” He used to be a handsome man, but now he is horribly scarred from hip to head on the left side of his body. He is in hiding from the Sergei, his former mafia boss and mentor who also happens to be the man responsible for his disfigurement. Sergei must have been feeling threatened by the grow
Kristi Cramer
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of beta reading this book.

Great story, for a dark, twisted kind of fairy tale. What horrible things to have happen, but it is compelling and fascinating. I didn't find the many (graphic, violent, dark) sex scenes especially sexy, because I couldn't relate at all, but I wasn't disgusted, either. I guess that means it was well presented.

I'm often on the fence about rating these kinds of books, because I don't personally dig the anti-hero thing, although Dimitri really does have
Nikki Nou
Mar 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

MY THOUGHTS

description

Dimitri has been living in Vancouver for 3 years now. He has never left his million dollar penthouse in all that time.

He's hiding. Not only from the russian mafia-boss Sergej who wants him dead. But also because he's scared to face people. He's been badly scarred when Sergej tried to kill him.

His best friend brings him blindfolded whores - to 'use' for his special sexual tastes. And even though he sometimes hurts them very badly they often leave halfway in love with this stranger wh
Shay
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just finished The Beast and I really liked it. I understand that this book had gotten pulled due to some delicate things in the book and after reading it I can totally get it. It is not everyones cup of tea but it was certainly mine. Dmitri is scarred for life, and biding his time to extract revenege on Sergio, his mentor, that did this to him. He hides himself in his mansion with little to no contact with anyone expect the conseirge. Except for one night, Columbia sneaks in with her own ulter ...more
Tiffany Readz
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lately I have been on a dark read kick and The Beast fit that bill perfectly. Heed the warnings if you are a bit squeamish about sexual abuse, rape and violence. The book doesn't consist of that entirely, but you get a pretty heavy dose of it before the story really kicks off.

We start with Dimitri and how be became the mystery man locked in the penthouse paradise. He had a very rough start in Russia and rose to become the right hand man to the leader of a Russian gang. Things took a turn for th
Nanci **Warning**IWasASailor⚓️MyMouthisDirty
I'm not sure how to rate this book...so I'll say 3.5/3.8

The beginning of the book started out strong. Dimitri is an ex-enforcer for the Russian mob. His mentor, friend, father like figure turns on him and tries to kill him. He escapes half burned and half dead and relocates to Canada where he's been a recluse for 3 years, to heal and plan his revenge. (See...intriguing)

In Canada he is under a fake alias multi-millionaire Jason Jorrdan (something like that) unimportant. Mr. J is buying up half of
Menna
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Hmmm well, where should i begin....?!

I was disgusted and uncomfortable through the first half of the book i had a lot of mixed feeling for both of them......for him it was simple hatred and anger.he was your typical fucked up anti-hero with more disturbing qualities at first.

for her, at first i was feeling sympathetic and my heart ached for her then i was infuriated with her reactions and decisions but some how unconsciously i began to worm a "little"for the two of them. But that was after i fe
Steph
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Well.....huh.

I am a little stumped. I'm not sure how the hell to proceed with this review.

I mean I liked it but didn't love it. Not sure if it has more to do with me or the actual book.

I love dark, twisted, fucked up brutal jaw dropping "love" stories.

The plot was cool although a tad predictable but it had a few twist and turns looped through out the story.

The characters were engaging,loveable. The dual POV was awesome.

I love how they each are each so uniquely fucked up yet their damages are
Natalie The Biblioholic
This is the first book I've read from Jaden Wilkes and I thoroughly enjoyed it's dark and twisted theme. She surely drew my mind into a nightmare. This book does touch on some BDSM but more on the S & M side.

Unfortunately I suffered a disconnect from the characters. I'm not sure what I was looking for but by the end I hadn't found it. It was hard to like Columbia. I couldn't really get into her head although half the story is told from her POV. And she truly pissed me off at one point. (view
☮ Syrina ☮ RWBR
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky and honored enough to win a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Jaden Wilkes for this emotional, crippling, stimulating and captivating read!

Wonderfully psychotic mind tripping thrill of a read, I have never been so disappointed to see the end of a book as I did with this one.

Dimitri Sokolov, The Enforcer.. The Beast, a man betrayed and horribly scarred, withdrawn from society and thirsting for revenge. His raging psychopathic tendencies are mostly contrive
Christine
2.5 Stars

The heroine is part of a group that is not liking the new development in her neighborhood. The heroine volunteers to be the one to go the main guy's house and confront him about the development. The heroine is taken by the man who has never been seen. The hero has been severely scarred and has not been outside in years.

The heroine suffers daily abuse from her father.

The hero was part of the Russian mob until the leader tortured him and scarred him. This is a story of two scarred people
  • Blake (Captive to the Dark, #2)
  • That Which Destroys Me
  • Deliverance for Amelia (Killer, #1)
  • Big Sky
  • Target This
  • Fragile Truths (The Shadows of Sin, #1)
  • Lost Boy (The Lonely, #2)
  • The Good Girl
  • Trust
  • Dark Trade (Gunrunner, #1)
  • GRINGA - In the Clutches of a Ruthless Drug Lord (#1)
  • Monster (Monster, #1)
  • Yes, Master
  • A Beautiful Prison
  • The Devil's Claim (Devil's Kiss, #2)
  • Only Pretend
  • His Witness (Vittorio Crime Family, #4)
  • The Dominator
I write the things that keep me up at night.

Join my mailing list to keep on top of new releases, get excerpts and sneak peeks, have access to exclusive giveaways, and collect some kick ass crock pot recipes. ;)

The Beast (4 books)
  • Perfectly Normal (The Beast, #2)
  • Little Dove (The Beast, #3)
  • The Beast Series Boxset
“I am going to untie your feet first,” Dimitri told the girl, “but if you try to run, I will kill you.”
“Do you have a gun?” she asked, trying to sit up as far as her bonds would let her.

“I don’t need a gun to kill you, my pet,” Dimitri said and laughed, a low, rich sound. “I can do it with my hands if need be. But there won’t be any need if you behave yourself, do you understand?”

She nodded her head and emitted a small whimper.

“Say yes or no so we’re on the same page,” he said again.

“Yes, I understand,” she whispered.

He grabbed her throat and squeezed until she coughed and whined at the pain. “I told you to say yes or no. There is no reason to get fancy, do you understand?”

He released her and let her take a few deep breaths before she replied, “Yes.” in a broken voice.”
7 likes
“She was a cutter. Only saying she was a cutter might be an understatement. She was a destroyer of beautiful things.” 7 likes