Start by marking “Private Display of Affection” as Want to Read:
Private Display of Affection

Private Display of Affection

(North Star #0.5)

A Harmony Ink Press Young Adult Title

Hugo Thorson knows he’s gay, but coming out during high school is not part of his plan. His parents are open-minded, but Hugo doesn’t want to add more stress for anybody, especially his dad, who is fighting terminal cancer.

At a summer job he meets and befriends Kevin Magnus, and before long, their friendship becomes something more.
Published December 12th 2013 by Harmony Ink Press (first published December 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Private Display of Affection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Private Display of Affection

Start your review of Private Display of Affection
wesley

I am disappointed because I expected to ride The Big Feels Train with this book. I mean, look at that cover. Sadly, I'm not a big fan of the author's writing. It lacked the needed emotion I crave from books. It felt robotic and mechanical, to me. The dialogue also felt unnatural. The narration felt summarized and hurried, although the paragraphs were actually really lengthy.

I also thought the plot was shallow. I didn't like how everyone, not just the MCs, felt it was okay to use someone as a

AnnaLund
4,5 stars, rounded up

For my honest and true view of this book, please read …MORE

Goodreads TOS-compliant review (I think, let me know when they tell us what the rules are):

"The book I just read is about two (or three) lovely people, written in beautiful language, by a very good and prolific author. I liked it very, very much.
It is for sale on Amazon.”

DISCLAIMER: My reviews now all have this pretty face, so that all and everyone on Goodreads can stay happy and beatific. I’ll let you know if I
Sandra
ARC Review - Private Display of Affection The flashbacks from the novel Spark by Posy Roberts are explored here in a young adult novel, covering the friendship and developing relationship between Hugo and Kevin. I would have liked the author to delve a little deeper into the emotions of the young men, which on occasion sounded flat, but this is a great companion novel, or could be read before reading Spark.

Full review soon.

Also, Peder Magnus is an ass.
Melissa
So much to say about this book and I'm not sure my mind will let me get the right words out.

This is a young adult adaptation of the book Spark by Posy Roberts. I hadn't read Spark before I started this book and I think I'm glad because I got to fall in love with these boys NOT knowing what the future held for them. I didn't know about their adult counterparts or what they went through, I just got to watch two boys fall in love despite the struggles they had to go through to be together.

Hugo
Connie
I want to give Private Display of Affection all the stars, all the love to this perfectly crafted book. It is so much more than a romance.

Winter Sandberg you are amazing! I couldn’t help but fall in love with Kevin and Hugo, especially Hugo. I marked a new reading record with this one, couldn’t put it down.

I felt the butterflies, all of them. I felt Kevins pain as if it were my own. He tried so hard to please his father; he sacrificed so much of himself for a father that in the end was not
Beacullen
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
I almost didn't read this book becuae I had read the rest of the series and thought I knew their story. Wow what a surprise this book was. So much was explained, where the star came from in their relationship, how close they truly were in High School. I read the part about Hugo's mom giving them the sex talk while at work, OMG I laughed so hard. Its great!!! Kevin was so mortified lol. I love how Hugo's mom and sister make them feel so safe there, its they safe haven, and Kevin truly needs it. I ...more
Ron
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My take on the book is here (note: you might consider it a spoiler https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...)

EDIT: If you have, or intend to buy, 'Spark' by Posy Roberts don't waste your money buying this book as most of it is in 'Spark' and you'll find yourself skipping half of 'Spark' if you read them one after the other.
Dana
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Reviewed for Rainbow Gold Reviews. A copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

I love romance novels, particularly m/m romance novels. I love the beginning stages of a relationship and the intimate moments between the characters. Lately I have found a greater appreciation for coming of age novels with young adult characters discovering who they are as people and who they might be attracted to. Private Displays of Affection is one of those stories.

Hugo is a high school student in the
Tina
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hugo and Kevin are back! Or we are back. Or something like that! Private Display of Affection is Winter Sandberg’s YA adaptation of Posy Roberts’s novel Spark. Spark is book one in the North Star Series, so named because of a compass keychain one character gives to the other early in their relationship. I loved Spark, Fusion and Flare, the three novels which made up the original, adult series.

Private Display of Affection takes us inside the early years (actually just the first year) of Hugo and
GayListBookReviews
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Winter Sandberg you are amazing! I couldn't help but fall in love with Kevin and Hugo, especially Hugo. I marked a new reading record with this one, couldn't put it down.

Brandilyn
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, read-2014
Oh Kevin, what are we going to do with you? Your father is a douche of the highest caliber, yet you can’t help but yield to his demands. You profess to have feelings for Hugo, but you can’t let anyone know. It is 1994, and you are about to be a Junior in high school. What are you to do?

Winter, my dear, you broke my heart into a thousand pieces. Oh yes, you mended it, but you took your sweet time doing so. Poor Hugo, all he wants is to be around Kevin. He is willing to sacrifice his own desires
Lisa The Novel Approach
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Private Display of Affection takes us inside the early years (actually, just the first year) of Hugo and Kevin’s relationship. We have read about them as adults, with flashes of their early time together. Now we get to bear witness to the time when they met and first got to know one another. Little bits of it felt like a re-read. This was due to the memories Ms. Roberts included in Spark. But most of Private Display of Affection felt new, as it was completely fleshed out and told to us as it was ...more
Lainey Phantomhive
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, gay-love

I did not know this was a companion piece to something else, but that means I have even more to read now!

I loved this sweet story. Even without having known the characters from other works I connected and loved them both instantly. Hugo was my favorite. I wanted to protect him so bad!

The romance is sweet and the story is heartwrenching. The sanctuary idea was a beautiful piece to a beautiful story. I hope places like that really exist!

Now I am off to read the rest of the books!
Liza
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Private Display of Affection is a prequel to the Spark series by Posy Roberts. It is an expanded version of the flashbacks of Kevin and Hugo in high school, how they met and how they fell in love. I was already a huge fan of the Spark trilogy, but this made it even more special. I loved watching Kevin and Hugo falling in love, seeing their first kiss and their struggles. It expanded more on Kevin's issues with his father and Hugo's loss of his father. Winter Sandberg did an exquisite job of ...more
Melissa
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, kindle-lendable
I just finished reading this book and I find myself in love with these boys. Such a sweet and real story. Hugo is such a brave young man who has been forced to grow up quickly due to his ill father. Kevin has been forced to grow up fast due to an oppressive father. Hugo's family is supportive and nurturing and they welcome Kevin into their home knowing his limitations.

Loved Hugo's mom! She was so open and honest!

I shed a few tears with this one and my stomach hurt at times, but it was great.
Gareth
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
3.5 rounded up. A few chapters after the first in the beginning made it hard for me to read because of the third person. It was confusing reading both their thoughts in the same chapter. As the story progresses, though, it got easier to identify who was thinking what. The story felt realistic and I really appreciate that. There was also a little bit of psychology written into the story that makes me wish that more people would read this. If they could just re-edit the book, that would be ...more
Michelle
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I loved Hugo and Kevin and found myself rooting for them big time. It was sad (and certainly realistic) that Kevin could not open up to his parents about his feelings. That's reality sometimes, and I was happy for the support he received. Special shout out to Hugo's mom for being super awesome! This was a very enjoyable coming of age tale.
Ibokensvärld
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
So, everyone seems to have given this book 5 stars, and yeah, it's cute and I like the characters, but the writing could be a lot better if you ask me.
It's very simple writing even if the story she tells is more than enough. I just missed something as I read it, and it has nothing to do with the story.

I do like the book though, don't get me wrong. It's really cute.
Wency
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars.

I find this enjoyable. It’s about two boys who fall in love with each other in a town that’s not fully prepared to accept homosexuality so they kept their relationship in private.

Full review on Review on Sidlove.com

Dec 14, 2014
Trevor White
Jun 20, 2017
Linda-Grace
rated it did not like it
Dec 25, 2013
Nina Rossing
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Tigers and Devils (Tigers and Devils #1)
  • Zero at the Bone (Zero at the Bone #1)
  • Fusion (North Star #2)
  • Flare (North Star #3)
  • Ever After
  • The Understatement of the Year (The Ivy Years, #3)
  • Shane and Trey (Enemies to Lovers #1)
  • Unboxed
  • Tournament of Losers
  • Finding the Wolf (The Dragon's Hoard, #1)
  • Consorting With Dragons
  • Stealing the Dragon (The Dragon's Hoard, #3)
  • Breaking the Shackles (The Dragon's Hoard, #2)
  • Duet
  • Loveblood
  • Ghosts & Ashes (Broken Moon, #2)
  • Zenith Dream (Broken Moon #3)
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
Winter Sandberg grew up in a place nicknamed The Magic City, and the view from her house on the hill had her convinced the name fit perfectly for years. Spending time backstage or in music practice rooms took up a lot of Winter’s time, but hanging out with friends was truly preferred. Days after her eighteenth birthday, she headed to college not knowing how to cook.

Nowadays Winter gets paid to