Start by marking “1 Is One” as Want to Read:
1 Is One

1 Is One

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  893 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
The classic book with Tasha Tudor's verse and Caldecott Honor illustrations, 1 is One is a charming introduction to numbers.
Published May 1st 2000 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about 1 Is One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1 Is One

Kathryn
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just stunning! I love Tasha Tudor and this book is a beautiful display of her signature style of old-timey New England, full of warmth and charm and period details. I appreciated, too, the rhyme scheme and the diction (some of the words, like "rye" and "heath" are ones that many children today may not be that familiar with but in context it works beautifully and can be a good way to learn new words).
Lisa Vegan
I was very disappointed to see that this board book edition is, as it says on the cover, “Abridged from the Caldecott Honor Book” because I wanted to read the full book, but received this edition.

The illustrations are fabulous, and make this simple counting book a lovely one. Young children will probably have fun with this board book edition, but I’m off to my library’s web site to see if I can borrow a copy of the full edition. I also want to see just how abridged this edition is.
Linda Lipko
This is one of the most beautiful illustrated books I've read. The images are soft and lovely. The reader feels like you are reading and falling into a soft, puffy bedspread of pastel colors. I enjoyed this book so much that I'm going to purchase a copy.

A 1957 Caldecott honor book, using the numbers one - twenty, and alternating two-page spreads between black on one spread and then color on the next two page spread.

This is the first book I've read of Tasha Tudors delightful art work. I will be s
Laura (Book Scrounger)
I had another book by Tasha Tudor that I grew up with, so I enjoyed seeing the familiar illustration style here. Another thing I liked is that this book goes all the way up to 20 (seems most counting books only go to 10), which is nice since my preschoolers seem to have the most trouble with the mid-teens. Not all of the objects are clearly grouped together in an easy way for young kinds to count though, so it hasn't been as interactive as some.
Aly Gutierrez
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
• Book summary
-Counts to 20 while using familiar situations children can relate to. It counts and describes animals, sounds, children, items, and more. Shows children that numbers are everywhere and they can count absolutely anything.

• Caldecott Honor Book

• Grade level, interest level, Lexile
-Pre-K through kindergarten

• Appropriate classroom use (subject area)
-Use while teaching children how to count up to 20.

• Individual students who might benefit from reading
-All students can benefit. It
Mitchell
A Caldecott Honor counting book. Sure it's nice, but there are better counting books. It is showing its age but not really in a bad way. The subjects of the art still work. And the choices for the art are pretty and not trite. But they are also not especially exciting or engaging. And the text is only okay.
Dolly
Jan 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
A sweet, old-fashioned book with a nicely lyrical poem that helps children learn how to count to twenty. It's also a good book for beginning readers. Its short sentences and cute illustrations are good for them to practice reading while also counting. Our oldest read this one to us at the library.
Christine
A lovely little rhyming counting book with charming, old-fashioned illustrations. This one goes from 1 through 20 and each number gets its own spread. The spreads alternate between full color and black-and-white. I'm sure we will be reading this one many times!
Jill
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a counting book by Tasha Tudor which won the Caldecott medal. Read it with an older toddler and try not to both become lost in Mrs. Tudor's soft and detailed art, it is impossible.
Savannah
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Title: 1 is One
Author: Tasha Tudor
Illustrator: ^
Genre: Concept Book, Counting book
Theme(s): Numbers, counting, animals, rhyming
Opening line/sentence: “1 is one duckling swimming in a dish.”
Brief Book Summary: This rhyming number book aids in helping children to identify each numeral from 1 to 20. Each number is represented with words and pictures, as well.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
(http://www.clcd.com.ezaccess.librarie...)
If you enjoy a book
Emily Siniard
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children under 7
Tasha Tudor is the author of this book over simply counting objects and giving illustrations. Unlike other common counting books in the 2000s, Tudor includes vocabulary you would have heard in the 19th or 20th century, along with similar illustrations. This book is a Caldecott Honor book for her illustrations!

I gave this book 4 stars because of the wonderful illustrations and vocabulary. On the other hand, students in the 21st century in a kindergarten classroom might not know the meaning of th
Maria Rowe
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
• 1957 Caldecott Honor Book •

The text and pictures seem very dated, but this is charming to me for some reason anyway. The illustrations are really ornate and I think the type is hand-lettered which gives it a really sweet, folksy feel. My favorite illustration is of the cherries. I also like that the numbers go up to 20 - it seems most only go to 10.

Materials used: unlisted
Typeface used: unlisted
Nadine Willis
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I labeled the book, 1 is One, in the Informational Text: Math genre. It is evident why this book was a Caldecott Honor book through it's simple text that counts from one to twenty and it's super dainty illustrations of animals, nature, and children. It's an easy read and easy on the eye, so it will captivate young readers quickly.
Kelly
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a simple counting and rhyming book. Where most counting books go only up to 10, this one goes up to 20. It is very sweet and appealing, with soft illustrations.
Audrey
Wonderful illustrations
Victoria Y.
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs642
This mathematical picture book explains numbers through twenty by showing an example, telling the numeral value, and telling the word meaning of each number. This book includes detailed illustrations of number examples within nature. This story can help the reader better understand the concept of numbers, visually see what the values mean, and strengthen their comprehension abilities.
Kenneth
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Classic counting book. We explore numbers with animals, plants, and children. The illustrations are delightful. Great tool for learning.
Ashley
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
1. Counting & Controlled Vocabulary (rhyming)

2. Alternating from black and white drawings to colorful water pastels this charming books counts from 1 is one all the way to 20 is twenty, rhyming along the way and incorporating all the things that young children love; animals, dancing, and twinking stars! It is beautifully illustrated and takes the appearance of the classic Dick and Jane books.

3. Critique
a. The illustrations in this book create lots of opportunities for little fingers to poi
Katie Fitzgerald
I have always known of Tasha Tudor, but I think this might be the first book of hers I actually sat down to read. The concept is simple - 1 is One is a counting book, and each page depicts a number and a scene associated with that number. The spreads alternate between color and black and white, which I found distracting, even though I think that is a function of when the book was published rather than an artistic decision. The naturalistic scenes and sweet-looking children in fancy dresses and s ...more
Cassandra Gelvin
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Not as good as the game “3 in Three”. That game rocks.

It's not a bad book, but it's boring and very dated. It's not that common for modern children to have experienced sheep in a meadow, or gourds drying. Or writing on a slate.

The art alternates between full color and black and white, and looks almost like a sketch. It's pretty. I imagine you could use it to try to teach a child to count and read the numbers and words for numbers, but I think that the datedness would confuse them. It's not reall
Jessica Jackson
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a classic book with beautiful illustrations. It is an older picture book, published in 1956. This is a counting book, and it is written in verse and rhyme. Each number is shown in bold with a short sentence following it. “1 is one duckling swimming in a dish. 2 is two sisters making a wish.” The counting goes up to 20. The illustrations are the best part of book. They are classic and look like works of art. Each page is framed by a border of vines of flowers, grapes, ivy, etc. After each ...more
Rachel
I had heard of Tasha Tudor in grad school as one of my professors was a huge fan of her work, and we had to watch a video on the author/illustrator in her class. I have been wanting to read her stuff for years as a result, but never had the time until now. This book won a 1957 Caldecott Honor. It is a very cute counting book, up to twenty, with precious illustrations. My favorite is "9 is nine red cherries on a white china plate" and "12 is twelve baby birds learning how to sing." Highly recomme ...more
Beverly
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Tudor alternates pages of paintings with pages of black and white drawings. The watercolor paintings are colorful and bright; the drawings life-like. The animals are fluffy or feathery; the all-white children angelic-looking, and the setting is rural. Each picture, painting or drawing, is bordered by flowers or other plants. The counting text is very simple and the illustrations mostly reflect what the text states.
(Caldecott Honor, 1957)
Logan Gatchel
1 is One is a short, charming children's book about counting and rhyming book. Although it is an older book, it is a great way to assist children learning to count to 20-and great practice! The visuals in this book are also great. I know if I was reading this book to the three year old boy I babysit, we would have to stop and count each picture drawn just to make sure the illustrator did not miss count!
Patricia
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-caldecott
Catherine
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with young children.
Published 1956.

This is a beautifully illustrated counting book that is just as relevant for young children today as it was when it was originally published more than 50 years ago. Additionally, the rhyme creates a pleasing flow as the reader counts to twenty.

Themes include counting and nature.

This is a lovely book to read aloud to one or a class full of young children. Focuses for the classroom include counting and rhyme.

Highly recommended.
Dianna
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
1 is One goes up to twenty in Tasha Tudor's signature style. I like that it didn't stop at ten like most counting books, and of course the charm of the illustrations. I also found this one a lot more accessible to my four-year-old son than her alphabet book A is for Annabelle.
Ed
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nerdcott-2012
Truly lovely illustrations in this one (no pun intended). My favorite Tasha Tudor book, and loved reading it to my kids when they were little. Basic counting book, but I always loved that it went all the way to 20, which most don't seem to do, and the pictures are wonderful.

P.S. Hope I didn't spoil the ending for anyone.
Lorna
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
1958 Caldecott Honor

Favorite line: 12 is twelve baby birds learning how to sing.

Favorite illustration: The bird with a nest.

Thoughts: This is a very sweet counting book for numbers 1-20. It is filled with lovely, nostalgic illustrations of sweet kids and animals doing activities like painting picking flowers, and making flower wreaths.
  • The Storm Book
  • Fly High, Fly Low
  • Green Eyes (Family Storytime)
  • In the Forest
  • Ape in a Cape: An Alphabet of Odd Animals
  • The Moon Jumpers
  • A Very Special House
  • Hildilid's Night
  • Anatole and the Cat (Anatole, #2)
  • Rain Drop Splash
  • The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night
  • Prayer for a Child
  • Noah's Ark
  • Mice Twice
Tasha Tudor was an American illustrator and author of children's books.
More about Tasha Tudor