Start by marking “Craftivism: The Art of Craft and Activism” as Want to Read:
Craftivism: The Art of Craft and Activism

Craftivism: The Art of Craft and Activism

Craftivism is a worldwide movement that operates at the intersection where craft and activism meet; Craftivism the book is full of inspiration for crafters who want to create works that add to the greater good. With interviews and profiles of craftivists who are changing the world with their art, and through examples that range from community embroidery projects, stitching ...more
Published May 6th 2014 by Arsenal Pulp Press (first published April 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Craftivism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Craftivism

Start your review of Craftivism: The Art of Craft and Activism
Elizabeth
Using crafts to address social issues?
I'm in.

Personal and social transformation go hand in hand.
Be the change.
Melissa
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-crafts
This book opened me up to an entirely different view of what it means to be an activist. It also provided some very inspiring interviews and artist bios that drive the meaning of craftivism deeper. I do wish it had provided concrete ideas for how to incorporate craftivism into one's daily life rather than expecting one to use the inspiration of what has already been done from the essays in the book.
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Thought-provoking, but not gonna lie, some of the thoughts were more of a punch-this-person-in-the-face variety. I'm now convinced that quilting is a superpower, however. Good stuff, very personally inspirational but also frustrating. Maybe I'm just too old for some types of shenanigans?
Megan
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I really liked the intention and how inspirational some of the stories were. These are truly inspirational grassroots movements that anyone could relate too. It would have been more purposeful to include a list of ways other people could start doing it too- with pros/cons list of each- to help someone easily determine which craft suits them/their needs/ & their community more easily. DIY is huge and if this purposeful addition was added- I could see more groups and people using it to start ...more
Rayna Fahey
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm biased, I'm in this book..

In the world of craftivism, Betsy Greer is Queen. Not just because she coined the term but because her ability to craft a compelling story has brought us all together in many wonderful ways. This book showcases the creative talents worldwide who use their hands and their humour to make the world a better place.
Stephanie Harvey
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book really helped me to understand more about my arts and crafts and why I haven't exactly "fit" in either world. I'm feeling inspired and driven to explore these topics further and continue making with the purpose of positive change.
Sayraphim Lothian
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I'm biased, because I'm in this book, but it was amazing to read so many projects and about so many practitioners who are out there making change in the world through their craft
Mary
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting!
Ellen
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story, setting
I had not come across the term craftivism before reading this book, but I had come across the actions of craftivism, having seen many people be active in Wrap with love, and other charity knitting done in many libraries, as well as other public projects (and been involved in some myself).

This book brings together a wonderful range of craftivism people and actions, some you will have heard of and others which are new. There are some lovely options, which help communities, such as the crafted
Amy
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty
I have feelings about this book! I've been reading it in bits because it was too overwhelming to tackle all at once -- it started so many conversations in my head that I couldn't keep my eyes on the page (e.g., what is the purpose of craft? am I a craftivist? what kind of craftivist do I want to be? what am I doing with my life? can anything I make with my hands really help another person? does the way I spend my money or my time really matter? and so on...)

Craftivism is a subject close to my
Barb
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hobbies
Ok, I LOVE this book and anticipate purchasing it in the near future. It is so inspiring and radical and new to me ideas! Really, I am quite excited about this!

There seems to always be a gap between "art" and "craft" and yet I feel like I belong in both categories. I have been torn though from craft due to a lack of function and being more decorative. I love this book for honoring what I have always known but forgot that sometimes it isn't about the end product and craft can be more than
Kim
Lightly framed by Greer's theory of craft as quiet activism, this book is a series of essays by, and interviews with, craftivists around the world. I appreciate the global focus and hearing the voices of the organizers and artists.

If you are looking for an extensively articulated academic theory regarding the intersection of craft and activism, you won't find it here. For instance, there is very little material devoted to challenges or limitations of craftivist work.

Neither is it a how-to
Kimmy
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great little collection of essays and interviews about and by people who have ingrained themselves in the craftivism world. I found it quite inspiring and enjoyed reading about what pushed the artists to take that leap from simple crafting to involving a political message in their work. My only real criticism would be that some of the themes and comments from the artists were a little repetitive, particularly towards the beginning of the book. Still a good introduction to the subject ...more
This book is small, but it is mighty. It offers essays of different craft mediums and the charitable impact they have from random acts of kindness street art to prison cross-stitch programs, both actions developing habits in viewers and participants of reflection. Many of the crafters in this book use craft as a way to address issues in society (political corruption, gender norms, mental health/illness) that are challenging to express. A clear message is sent that craft is more than aesthetics ...more
T Crockett
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
As with any anthology, there are some essays that resonated with me more than others, but I really enjoyed turning each page to see what would come next. Some are in interview format and others are essays (which I preferred).

I liked that the artists (and their stories) spanned the globe. In addition the types of activism ranged from getting news to the outer world about a brutal regime, to removing the shame associated with human reproductive organs.
Grace Peterson
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I actually felt very inspired after reading this book. Wish they would have had more specific ideas for things to do in my own community, but still loves it and feel inspired to start something.
My favorite essays were:
Sewing Voices
Interview with Rachel Mathews
Molly
Jul 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a great book for the crafty activism movement- interesting essays from people of all different kinds. I thought it would be more of a how-to sort of book, but it was more of a why-to book. Not bad- very powerful- but not what I was expecting.
PJ Wallachia
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The most radicalizing action any one can take is that which is done for and by one's chosen initiative.
Theresa
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous anthology of cool shit that people do and make to change the world. Reading it makes me want to go do all the crafts.
Nanaz
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Nice pictures, a bit boring. Certain essays are better than others. The essay on Chile was one of the best in the book.
Amelia
Jun 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Start Now!: You Can Make a Difference
  • Emmanuel's Dream: The True Story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah
  • DIY Resistance: 36 Ways to Fight Back!
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery
  • Heart Full of Lies
  • The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Free Yourself and your Family from a Lifetime of Clutter
  • Paris, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down
  • The Winter Soldier
  • Fifty Things That Aren't My Fault: Essays from the Grown-Up Years
  • How to be a Craftivist: The Art of Gentle Protest
  • An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good
  • Threads of Life: A History of the World Through the Eye of a Needle
  • Women's Work: The First 20,000 Years: Women, Cloth, and Society in Early Times
  • Holidays on Ice
  • An American Sunrise: Poems
  • After the Wreck, I Picked Myself Up, Spread My Wings, and Flew Away
  • I støv og aske (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #10)
I'm a craft nerd who wrote Knitting for Good in 2008 and will be coming out with a craftivism anthology, Craftivism The Art of Craft and Activism in the spring of 2014. I've also written essays for books like Extra Ordinary Craft and Contemporary Art and Handmade Nation. I like Lionel Richie's smooth jams, teatime, and the seaside.
“Cross-stitch, as with all embroidery, is also bound into a socio-political debate about gender, as it is traditionally considered a pastime for women, particularly from older generations. This gender bias adds to the success of cross-stitch as a political medium; one cannot help but feel kindness toward cross-stitched pieces, as though they had been created by a senior matriarch.” 0 likes