Start by marking “The Man in the Window” as Want to Read:
The Man in the Window

The Man in the Window

Across town, Iris Shula, a lonely and unlovely nurse knows, at thirty-seven, it is unlikely that her Prince Charming will ever appear. But Iris is about to learn how wrong she is.

When Louis accidently falls out of
Paperback, Book Lust Rediscoveries edition, 266 pages
Published September 24th 2013 by Lake Union Publishing (first published February 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Man in the Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man in the Window

Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Utterly unique in every way. I LOVED and I will always LOVE this book.

"The Man in the Window" was quirky, off beat, and written in a way that carried me through like riding waves of all sorts, and I never had a "wipe out" - high praise from me because I'm a very picky reader.

Denise Vasak
Jul 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
I feel cheated. I was sold a charming, albeit sad, love story; what I got was a mess of stories that really didn't have that much to do with the blurb on the back of the book.

The descriptions says:

"Since he was disfigured in a fire sixteen years ago, recluse Louis Malone has remained hidden from the prying eyes of his neighbors in the small town of Waverly.

Across town, Iris Shula, a lonely and unlovely nurse, knows at thirty-seven it is unlikely that her Prince Charming will ever appear. But Ir
Rachelle Wille
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this book as a Goodreads Giveaway.

I just finished reading this book this afternoon. I'm not even sure how to review it. It was very unique. I totally loved it. It was a heartwarming page-turner that was laugh out loud funny. I really enjoyed getting to know the other characters, like Gracie, Atlas, and Arnie, even though clearly it was Iris and Louis that were the main focus. Getting to know those other characters too was integral in getting to know Iris and Louis. By the en
Brenda Coody Leon
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was a kindle monthly deal. I downloaded it thinking it sounded cute and quirky, but was not sure what to expect. As it happens, I wound up being blown away. I cannot say enough good things about this book, and from this day forward, it will be one of my most highly recommended books. I laughed out loud over many parts, and cried over some as well.

It is really difficult to describe the plot of this book. Louis is a burn victim and recluse. Iris is a nurse who is very short, overweight,
Sep 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A Simon & Schuster sale brought this book to my attention. The story description + steady reviews of 4 & 5 stars enticed me to buy. Then another sale happened & I'm encouraged to spend just a little bit more and purchase the audio book, too. So, I've bought this book twice. And I although hated it I stuck it out to the very end because I. Bought. This. Book. Twice.

This author just rambles and drones on forever! He certainly has a unique idea for a plot, but he kills the story by dra
Jenna Scribbles
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I received a complimentary copy of this book via Goodreads giveaways.

Such a unique and quirky story. Each character was vivid and special in their own way - some I liked, some not so much... But that was the beauty of the writing.

I found myself laughing at things I shouldn't. Wishing for encounters and breakthroughs. I wanted everyone to have a happy ending right from the start.

And Johnny Depp.... Louise needs to be played by Johnny Depp if a movie is ever filmed.

I plan to suggest this title
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This book was a total surprise.
The synopsis did not do this book justice.
I feel in love with the coupling of the two main characters.
Sandy
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soul satisfying

I laughed and cried as I joined these well described characters move through their lives and more than one stepped away from looking through the window to move into life with all its pain and joy. This tale touched so many emotions and yes there are a few times it is a little surreal and mystical but most of us have seen a bit of that in our own lives. Such lessons! Take a chance, step out of your comfort zone, reach out to others, look for the glass half full, and yeah you got de
SusanMichelle
Aug 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was a mess.

There were so many pages that just went on and on that I had to go back to remember whose head I was in at the moment.

And uh...how about highlight connection between The Tube Man a little more? Or was there no connection...perhaps that was a neat little idea that fizzled once the author began to write it.

Way too many open holes. It seemed very unfinished.
Julie Burnett
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Have you ever wondered why guys like hardware stores so much? This book sheds light on that question.
It's a hopeful story of how lonely people, who don't necessarily fit in, can find each other.
I would recommend this book.
Amy Vey
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! My favorite line in the book was: "Arnie, my dear, the beauty of being old is that one is unable to take a good look." What a wonderful story about how we live, how we perceive dying, and what happens to us in the middle as well. A worth while read!
Niki Stolis
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I bought this book because it was a Kindle daily deal. I think I paid $1.99. I truly enjoyed this book. The writing is bold and refreshing. I would highly recommend!
Molly Campbell
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was both a beautiful book and a beautifully written book. I will never forget it. It is one of those books that vibrates with supressed emotions and deep loneliness. One that touches the soul.
Vickie
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Louis and Iris, another classic couple in a very non-traditional manner: Louis with his burns and hiding from the world; Iris with her non-beauty but meeting the world head on.
megan
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charming. Wonderfully flawed, realistic characters.
Kelly
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-book, fiction
I just loved this book!
Sonia Sherrod
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and humorous love story set in a small town of quirky, but caring people. Told tenderly with a touch of spiritual magic. A quick and uplifting read and laugh out loud moments.
Lesley
Aug 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
I have to be honest, I gave up at 9% showing on my Kindle.

I should have known that the multi-page introduction, a glowing introduction at that, was going to be a book that totally bored me, and it did.

For me it lacked absolutely everything I love, and I didn't even start warming to the main characters, much less have the storyline grab me.

I'm sure this book suits other people, but all it did for me was send me to sleep!
April
Sep 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
The Man in the Window by Jon Cohen features a cast of characters all living in one small town with a monster. Of course, Louis isn't really a monster, but some of his neighbors have begun to think of him that way. As a teenager, Louis was terribly burned in a fire that caused his face to become unrecognizable. His mother and father, Atlas and Grace have spent the last sixteen years caring for him, but Louis has become a recluse. He is never without his hat and purple scarf even at home and he al ...more
Laurie Larson-Doornbos
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Our first glimpse of Louis Malone is him sitting at the top of the stairs listening as his mother Gracie insists to the funeral director that her recently deceased husband Atlas be buried in his flannel workshirt, courduroys, and Hushpuppies. (The final score was Gracie: 1, Rose Funeral Home: 0, by the way.) And upstairs still, Louis watches the procession of casseroles and baked goods droppped off at the front door by friends and neighbors sympathizing with the newly widowed Gracie and even (ma ...more
Kandace
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I must put a little disclaimer on this review. I cut my reading teeth on my mother’s cheap Harlequin Romance novels from the 70′s and 80′s. Even today I count Loving Rescue by Dixie Browning as one of my top 50 favorite books because it evokes a particular time of neon plastic accessories popular during the early 90′s and being utterly clueless to anything to do with the male anatomy. While The Man in the Window had a noticeable lack of “milky breasts” and “engorged members,” it still had the fe ...more
Mary E Trimble
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nancy Pearl, my favorite literary critic, said after reading The Man in the Window, “Here was a novel to love.” And indeed it is. Author Jon Cohen has captured the essence of life in this poignant, funny and often caustic novel.

Louis Malone, now 32, badly disfigured in a fire when he was 16, became a recluse, hidden away in the family home. His world was what he could see from his upstairs bedroom window.

Iris Shuda, an extremely capable nurse, was resigned to never finding love. As Cohen describ
Aaron Mcquiston
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a healthcare worker, understanding ER and ICU and how nurses deal with things, I enjoyed a majority of this book based on the merit he has for telling the inner workings of a hospital correctly instead of just turning it into Grey's Anatomy Hollywood trickery. Even with little touches of secret healthcare lingo (Code Brown and The Fifth Floor for example), he really turns this into a shining example of an authentic retelling of hospital life. For this part, he had my attention.

I have always
Shelly Itkin
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Mismatched? Only Chance? Fate? Desperation? Love? These are some of the questions you will ask yourself after reading this story.

Louis Malone has not left his home in sixteen years since a terrible accident occurred, scaring his face during a horrible fire. When his father, Atlas passes away he finally leaves the house to attend the funeral and then returns to his prison on Waverly Place. The monster, now 32 goes back to looking out the window as life is passing him by.

In a strange accident he m
Katie Clark
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nancy Pearl comes through again.
Lynette
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was initially intrigued by the description of the book (and it was cheap on Kindle). I was somewhat disappointed by it. It was sort of a mishmash of a story. At times, the story would go somewhere really great and then drop off and then pick up later. Even so, it was not difficult to follow. I kept hoping that it would do something else, unidentifiable, but it never did. The characters are not well developed. The writer makes assumptions about how we are to know and understand people he barely ...more
Rachel
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I wish I knew where I found out about this book. I would have to agree with many of the reviews that the blurb really doesn't represent the book at all. I suppose it is a love story ultimately, but Louis and Iris are really only in the same place about 5% of the book.

That isn't why I rated it 3 stars. I think it just wasn't written in a style that I respond to favorably. It was slightly humorous, but not laugh out loud funny for me. Some of the characters were interesting (and human which I app
Jenn
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
The writing is beautiful. ,y. One effortlessly imagined what was happening on the pages as a movie in my mind. However, so much was left unanswered that I gasped when I realized I was on the last page. I suppose the author wants us to fill in the blanks-but that's what I believe his job to be. Still, lovely writing and adorable characters.
Robert Murphy
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
The first part of the book didn't grab me at all and I almost didn't finish. The rest of the book was good although predictable. One other thing I didn't like was how it had all the different sections that restarted chapter numbering. It felt unneeded and almost got in the way of the flow of the book for me.
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: via-kindle
I really enjoyed this tale about the odd friendship of a man disfigured from a fire, who never leaves his home, and frumpy nurse who works at a local hospital. I absolutely loved the characters and the exceptional way the story unfolds. I can't say a lot plot twists and turns happen, but what does happen is a beautiful and sometimes sad look at human nature.
  • Plum & Jaggers
  • The Cowboy and the Cossack
  • The Dangerous Thaw of Etta Capstone
  • The Lion in the Lei Shop
  • The Chupacabra: A Borderline Crazy Tale of Coyotes, Cash & Cartels
  • The Care and Feeding of Exotic Pets
  • Beneath the Scars
  • The Girls From the Five Great Valleys
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • A Gay and Melancholy Sound
  • Fool: A Novel
  • Trust in Time (Shaw Brothers Series, Vol. 2)
  • Biggest Elvis
  • This Little Piggy Belongs to the Devil
  • The Promise: A Tragic Accident, a Paralyzed Bride, and the Power of Love, Loyalty, and Friendship
  • Selling the Lite of Heaven
  • My Name Is Blessing
  • A Chance for Sunny Skies
A former critical care nurse, Jon Cohen is the author of "The Man in the Window" and "Max Lakeman and the Beautiful Stranger." Jon is the recipient of a creative writing grant from the National Endowment for the Arts, and is the co-writer of the film "Minority Report," directed by Steven Spielberg. His latest novel is "Harry's Trees."

Jon lives with his wife outside of Philadelphia.
“I can relate to the novelist Carrie Brown...who described herself as being 'a promiscuous reader.' I'll give almost any book a chance to have its way with me.” 3 likes
“He [God] chooses not to intervene in the world. Why not? Because he figures he's done enough and the rest is up to us? Or he wouldn't know where to begin? Or because he's in awe of his own miracle? That's how I picture him, his mouth slightly agape, his eyes wide in disbelief.” 1 likes