Start by marking “Midsummer Magic” as Want to Read:
Midsummer Magic

Midsummer Magic

Recently engaged Josie is visiting her parents in Cornwall with best friend Diane, fiancée Harry and his pal Ant. Josie can’t wait to start wedding planning, if only Harry was more interested, and Diane and Ant weren’t at war with each other.

As the four make amends over a drink in the local pub, they meet Freddie Puck, a well known TV hypnotist and find themselves agreeing
Published July 30th 2013 by Avon (first published June 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Midsummer Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midsummer Magic

Karen Barber
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
If you want a story where people get confused about who they love, you'd be better reading A Midsummer Night's Dream.
It's not that there's anything really awful about this, but it's heavy-handed. The issues about the relationship confusion are too dragged out, and I didn't really believe any of the relationships.
This was a quick read. Fluffy. I knew exactly what I was getting, but it isn't one I'd urge people to read.
Sharon Redfern
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A clever modernization of A Midsummer's Night Dream. The story begins with the breakup of Tatiana and Auberon (Bron) in 1982 and then jumps forward to modern day and a couple getting engaged- Josie and Harry. Add to the mix the couple's best friends Diana and Ant(Anthony)who knew each other years ago and hate each other and there is already confusion. Just like the original play, the four find themselves embroiled in a mix-up involving changing loves and emotional fights, only the instigator is ...more
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was very excited about Midsummer Magic, as I’d read novels before by Julia Williams and very much enjoyed them, and so I could not wait to get started! The cover of Midsummer Magic is very beautiful, I could not stop staring at it and I honestly believe that it is one of the most stunning book covers that I have seen this year.

Josie is recently engaged to her fiance Harry, and caught up in the excitement of the wedding, she decides that a trip to her family home in Cornwall is what they need,
Rachel Burton
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, kindle
Summer just wouldn't be summer without at least one version of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and as I missed the Shakespeare in the Park production this year, I was delighted to disappear into this book instead.

Harry and Josie are getting married and are spending Midsummer in Cornwall with Josie's family and their potential best man and bridesmaid, Ant and Di. Josie is lost in bridezilla madness, Ant and Di aren't speaking having discovered a part of their past within each other and Harry's just
Agi
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
I have received a copy of this book from publisher for review.
I was not familiar with Julia Williams' books before but when I say the cover of her new book, the title and synopsis I thought it would be something very summery and something very for me.
Please do remember that those are all my personal opinions, thought and feelings. This book didn't work for me. At all. The first half of the book concentrates on the coming wedding of Josie and Harry and I just couldn't stop to roll my eyes or sigh
Mary
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Easy going. I'd give this 3.5 rather than 3 for it's readability.
Liked Josie. Didn't really click with Diane but didn't dislike her. Was amused by Ant. Thought Harry sounded a tad weak.
An entertaining take on Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'.
Beckie
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Originally posted at: http://beckiesbookmix.blogspot.co.uk/...

I was immediately drawn in by the cover of this book! I know they always say don't judge a book by its' cover but wow this one is just so pretty. I have heard good things about Julia Williams' books so I was looking forward to reading Midsummer Magic.

Josie is over the moon when her boyfriend Harry proposes. She cannot wait to dive head first into wedding planning with the help of her best friend Diane. To celebrate, Josie, Harry, Dian
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it

I was instantly attracted to this book by its cover. What a lovely combination of colours- it really makes it stand out.

This was a lovely, heartwarming read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Based on Shakespeare's a Midsummer Night's dream, this was an entertaining, funny read with lots of plot twists and turns.

From the start I knew something was going to happen when Josie and Diana did a pagan Halloween tradition to determine the beginning letter of the person they were going to marry. Diana got H a
Katey Lovell
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Midsummer Magic landed on my doormat just a few days after Midsummer's Night. Pretty much perfect timing!

Julia Williams has taken inspiration from A Midsummer Night's Dream by giving Shakespeare's characters and storyline a modern twist. Described as 'a captivating modern day tale' that will 'delight fans of Katie Fforde and Veronica Henry', Midsummer Magic is an entertaining novel.

The plot is split between two time frames. Entertainers Tatiana and Bron and TV hypnotist Freddie Puck are follow
Elaine
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
It took me a little while to get into this book, but once I did, I really enjoyed the read. It is something of a modern day version of Midsummers Night Dream, following Josie, Harry, Di and Ant who are on a weekend "wedding planning" visit to Cornwall. When they meet celebrity hypnotist Freddie Puck in the pub, he makes them a proposition; that they be hypnotised for a TV programme he wants to make. This is where I really started to enjoy the book; as events unfold the plotline gets very twisty ...more
Vicky Edwards
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Brilliant summer read! Easy to get into I think I was hooked by the second chapter.

Josie is with Harry and has just moved in with her.Dianne is Josie's best mate and Ant is Harry's best mate who is currently travelling. Josie has a Halloween party where Harry proposes to Josie and then a wedding needs to planned ....This is where all four go to Josie' s parents house in Cornwall and where finally Diane and Ant meet but to every ones surprised they have met in their past and it w
Cori
Sep 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
When engaged couple, Josie and Harry, bring along their best man and chief bridesmaid for a planning weekend at the bride's parents house, little did they know that the attendants (who had yet to "meet") actually shared a tumultuous history. One night, at Midsummer's Eve and with the help of some local mythology and a mischievous hypnotist - these four people have their lives turned upside down in a comedy of errors.

Though a comedy of errors that's not really worth reading...so it's a good thing
Nikki Bywater
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When newly engaged Josie goes to visit her parents in Cornwall with her fiancé, and his best friend Ant and her best friend Diana, the idea was to begin making wedding plans, but when they meet a well-known TV hypnotist called Freddie Puck in a local pub and he invites them to take part in a hypnosis experiment to do with a local myth. Freddie claims that he can hypnotise a couple and make them fall in love on Midsummers Eve at the stepping stones just like it says in the myth.

The four agree to
Samantha Sim
Jul 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Originally posted on: https://samanthascw.wordpress.com/201...

I didn’t even finish this book, that was how horrible it was. It started off okay, until they went to Cornwall. Things started to go downhill from there. From the part where they reached Cornwall to the part where they actually met up with Freddie Puck to be hypnotised, I got really bored reading it. I felt that it was too draggy and dwelled on too many insignificant events. I remember thinking “when the hell are they getting hypnotis
Natalie TBGWP
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
For once I'm actually lost for words. I do not know what to write.

(10 minutes later).... After looking over my notes and staring at the cover of Midsummer Magic, which is a very beautiful cover I must add, I realised that I couldn't find the right words to write because I was completely confused and disappointed by what I had just read.The book starts off well but quickly starts to lose its way. I didn't like it cutting off into the past with other people it didn't flow right at all for me. It'
Lee Gee
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
My mum bought me this book for my 17th. I liked the look of it cause I'm from Cornwall and I love summer! However I didn't really like this book. I found the story line really bland and repetitive. The author kept repeating themselves with what the characters were feeling and I got bored. To get into a book I feel you need to make an attachment to the characters and as I don't think they were described particularly well I didn't. I also feel a good book should help you visualise what's going on, ...more
Victoria Mills
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jo Ledamun
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well written & clearly structured plot - but the narrative was quite dull. Most of the time, it did not enthral or engage me fully. The development characterisation of Harry, Josie, Diana or Ant, did not really progress very far either. They were not multi dimensional enough for my liking.

Please see comments for my additional comments about this book.

Overall:
This book was ok - but not really my sort if thing. I found continuing reading it, very tough at times. Next time I decide to read anot
Heidi
Jul 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: chic-lit
This is my 4th book by Julia Williams and, if I did not already know how cute her books, I would doubt reading any more by her. This book was okay and fun to read for summer but not what I am used to with her books. I could not get involved in the characters as much as her other books. The idea of the play on A Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare really drew me to this book. I did like the idea of the plot but for some reason it did not hold my attention. Josie, Diana, Harry and Ant are likea ...more
Jaydee
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Clearly the author is a big fan of A Midsummer Night's Dream and as such tries to re-write the story in a contemporary fashion. Unfortunately the result is a confusing, repetitive and far too long story. I felt no empathy for any of the characters and by the middle/end couldn't care less who ended up with who. The scenes of 'enchantment' start off as farcical and end up being so long-winded and unbelievable that I just wanted to skip past it all and get to the end. It was a difficult read and ha ...more
Primula Bond
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
This was like drinking a cool glass of water on a hot day or hot chocolate on a cold day. Just what it said on the tin, but with the added twist of being a play on the story of a Midsummer Night's Dream. I always love a modern take on Shakespeare plays, and although you have a pretty shrewd idea of what is going to happen in the end, everything flows along nicely and easily, the characters are easy to get to know if one or two are a little irritating, and you generally feel absorbed and content ...more
Heather
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've like all previous Julia Williams' books, and this one didn't dissapoint.

The mixed messages and stories that were weaved thanks to the hypnotism kept the pages turning and it really was a case of waiting to see exactly what was going to happen next.

I have a love for Cornwall, and have happy memories of holidays there including trips to the Minnack theatre, so my imagination was in overdrive!
Anna La
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Like other people have said, the cover is really pretty! ^^ I love the colours. This was a good book. All of the characters were annoying at some point. I lost track of how many times the four friends were in love with their partners, then had a fall out, swapped partners and then decided they liked their original partner. However, the night on the cliff was very eventful! and the ending was sweet.
Sonia Cristina
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
A capa fez-me pensar que seria daqueles romances light e cheios de humor, mas não é. Gostei, não conhecia esta autora e achei o tipo de enredo e escrita muito parecidos com Laura Dave. Tentar perceber que casais se formariam até ao final do livro foi um desafio. Quando Freddie começou a sua experiência de hipnotismo e todos aqueles 4 personagens passaram a apaixonar-se uns pelos outros, mas desencontrados, foi uma confusão, mas no fim tudo se compôs.
Lauren
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
This book was fun! I don't get to read a lot of chick lit so this was a nice break for me. Sometimes these types of books get annoying with each character holding back their thoughts with each other. That wasn't the case here, at least for me. The characters were real and very different from each other. My only problem is that I don't understand English slang. Being American, I didn't "get" it.
Aimee Jean
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read
I loved it! To be honest, at the start I was struggling to find that grasp, yano the one that pulls you in.. gets you hooked and gets you picturing the characters.. I couldn't find that right away.. it came!! And by George could I put this book down!! I was hooked!

Half way through I thought I've dissed the ending, was pretty disappointed in how it "looked" like it was going to turn out.. I was wrong!!
It took a different direction and I loved the ending!!

Give this a read!
Julia Ibbotson
I was intrigued by the idea behind this novel: a contemporary version of Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream. But I'm afraid that, although I quite enjoyed it in some ways, it failed to fulfil its potential. The writing was over-wordy and the narrative was uneven and sank into absurdity when it seemed that the author became too intent on reflecting the events of the well-known play. It just didn't work like this, I'm afraid, and became unconvincingly silly. What a shame.
Lucy McLaurin
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read and studied A Midsummer's Night Dream whilst I was at school and absolutely loved it.

This I enjoyed but did find it seemed even more chaotic! There's was lots of mad-cap affection changes throughout and it was really quite hard to work out who loved who and how on earth it was going to end!

A fun happy manic book.
Priyanka
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
A book should not be judged by its cover, but the story of this one is as pleasantly entertaining as its cover. With the twists of Midsummer Night's dream in a modern day scenario, the story gets amazing with the playfulness of hyptonism and innermost desires in the absence of conscience. A decent read all-in-all.
Andrea
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book free through Goodreads First Reads.
This book is a perfect summer beach read. Four friends on a visit to Cornwall take part in an experiment with a TV hypnotist, as they try to see if a local myth is true things don't turn out quite how they expect.
I enjoyed reading this book, it is a light-hearted, fun read for the summer.
  • Always You