Start by marking “If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It Isn't Big Enough: A Solo Journey Around the World” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  375 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
In honor of her 40th birthday, Kristine K. Stevens sold her house, quit her job and traveled solo around the world.

Carrying a backpack and the naïve belief that the trip was nothing more than a six-month-long vacation, she hit the road. As her journey moved on and off the beaten tourist path, she braved a monsoon in Zanzibar, a safari in Kenya, trekking in Nepal, kayaking
Published June 2013 by Subtext Publishing

Be the first to ask a question about If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It Isn't Big Enough

Val
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Honest depiction of her travels to Africa, Thailand, Laos, Nepal and several places in the US. I found each place as engaging as the rest. Probably doesn't hurt that I'm spending a year abroad as I read it, but I really enjoyed her frank discussions of how she felt with each new experience and encounter. Especially when she ate 38 mini snickers while being detained in the airport - totally something I would do.
J.H. Moncrieff
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I went back and forth many times with this book. I loved the opening, when the almost 40-year-old author sells her house, quits her job, and embarks on a journey around the world. (Well, an abbreviated journey of a scant handful of countries that took only six months and of which a large portion is the U.S.)

Then she landed in East Africa, and her harsh critique and fear of the people there made my stomach turn. I love that region of the world and its people, and she seemed to deliberately focus
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book as part of a First Reads giveaway.

Having been bit by the travel bug myself, I was really looking forward to diving into this book. I have to say though, that unfortunately I was a little disappointed. Now, maybe the fault is mine: I don't read tons of non-fiction, so maybe that affected by reading. I also have a young baby at home, and can no longer devote entire uninterrupted afternoons to reading in the summertime sun. However, despite all the exciting places the
Lcdk
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book that is very-well written and adventurous and ambitious from start to finish. The author is truly talented and it's evident on each and every page due to how perfectly refined and executed the scenes are, the story made me want to jump right on a plane right after I had finished the book and experience some traveling adventures for myself. One of the major things that I admire about the writing style is the way that humor is cleverly incorporated into some of the scenes and how much ...more
Ann Smith
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first non-fiction book I have ever read. Well, of my own accord anyway.
I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. I mean, traveling is awesome, but reading about someone else traveling? I had a hard time believing that it could be worth reading.

Well, as it turns out I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. The author described her adventures in such a way that you felt like you were really there.

I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the genre. Also,
Melissa Hammond
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love travel books and I have read quite a few. This is hands down one of the best.

The author is very talented at drawing pictures in your mind. She does have pictures from her trip on her personal blog, and I am sure one day I will look at them. However, while I was reading the book I found it unnecessary and enjoyed imagining the scenery from the descriptions on the page.

Anyone who enjoys travel books will not want to miss this one!
RT
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought it was an interesting read, though at times felt lost with what the author was trying to share. Having travelled a lot and to those similar country/places to the author I believe she could have provided a bit more colour and atmosphere to share with individuals who may not have travelled so much.

The book takes you on a journey of the authors adventures as she intends to find herself and explore the world.
Joyce Han
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Kristine does a wonderful job describing all the different places she's encountered - my favorite part of the book is when she speaks so brilliantly about Nepal - definitely added to my bucketlist! Some parts of the book simply did not seem to interest me and it may just be personal taste. Would recommend this book for any wanderlust-ers out there.
Jane M
Dec 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Should have been a lot more exciting than it was. I didn't find the style very engaging. As with most memoirs, it felt more self-serving than anything. As someone who does not know the author, I didn't feel I learned or gained anything from reading about her journeys.
Lesblick17
Nov 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book had no message, no theme, no direction, no big idea. It is just a long description of what happens to her on her trip, without anything more. Maybe it's because I've travelled far more than she has, but I just found it boring and significantly lacking in depth.
Kristine Stevens
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

Kirkus Book Reviews: "... Stevens makes a friendly, relatable narrator ... plenty of colorful stories to make this an enjoyable, inspiring read ... An often sweet memoir about finding oneself in many different places."
Jordan
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great inspirational tale, especially for woman that may be hesitant to travel the world alone. Or if you think you are too old. It is never too late and you will be fine... as long as your smart about it. Easy and entertaining read. Recommended for anyone that likes travel memoirs.
Lisa
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Despite the cheesy sounding title, this book wasn't preachy or corny. It was a solid, fun travel memoir, and I enjoyed reading about Stevens' experiences.
Debbie Vest
Thoughtful read.
Lori Kessler
Jul 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Let's just say not everyone who travels needs to write a book about it.
Naomi
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
*2.5 stars

This is a very specific sort of travel memoir that struck me as too often artificial and not particularly introspective. For example, she talks about her attempts to stick to a tight budget and also spending $500 on a one day trip to see bears in Alaska. There's also a lot of 'oh it's so scary to go off by myself' except she actually only visits places where she already knows people.

I almost put the book down in the first few chapters on Tanzania and Kenya because they were so critica
Barbara
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Itchy Feet

If you're an armchair traveler (and maybe an actual traveler) you will enjoy this. I hope I can do some traveling and journal my experiences. This is a good beach book.
Myra L Rice
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woman's round the world trip

Interesting account of a woman's trip to several countries around the world. I enjoyed her descriptions of her travels in East Africa, Nepal, and Alaska because of the people she met.
Charlie Kravetz
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review is for the Kindle edition ebook.

Disclosure: The author requested I review this book.

Any journey starts with the first step, however, few of us will keep going for six months.

This is a journal of six months of travel around the world. It is a well documented and fun to read experience, great for those of us that will never get to fully experience the actual travel.

The naivete that the traveler has going into this is understandable. Had she known or fully investigated everything before
Emily Craven
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
The first 2/3rds of this book was a great read. I think it has something to do with the places I am interested in though, for example I love Asia, and have wanted to travel to Nepal forever! I've never been fussed on Africa (the though of travelling there makes me nervous) but this book went part way to allying my fears. It was the later sections from Hawaii to Alaska that I wasn't too fussed on, not because I don't want to visit them but just because the author seemed to lose heart in these sec ...more
I received a copy of this book from a Goodreads FirstReads giveaway.

Very good book. Actual rating 4.5 stars - sorry, I don't round up.

This is a pretty quick and easy read. The author's writing style is detailed without getting bogged down, has some encyclopedic details but not so many as to detract from the narrative, and is like having a conversation with someone who is enthusiastically recounting their adventures to you.

I did wonder how she remembered all the details until at one point she
Karla
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'll start this with the disclosure that I'm an acquaintance of the author. Because of that, I was able to read the book with her voice and delivery in mind.

Having recently spent two weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia with my mother, my inner traveler was reignited and I was really interested to read about Kristine's adventure. The book had been sitting on my shelf for a while and it was time. Turns out, it was the perfect food for my little travel beast. Reading about her connections with locals an
Lori Mormino
I really wanted to love this book as, I think what she did is amazing- traveling the world solo. I just didn't relate to nor did I enjoy her writing style. It was very matter of fact and lacked excitement, love, magic or personal development towards her action of world travel. Because of that, I never really got invested in her as a character and finishing the book almost because a chore. I'm sorry, I tried to enjoy but just couldn't
Rosemary Daly
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it
The author takes a break from work and goes on a trip around the world - alone. The book is the telling of her travels and insights while on the road. One of the funniest lines in the book occurs during her visit to Alaska. She commented that one of the locals made the observation something along the lines of, "If it's tourist season, why can't we hunt them?" Hilarious! (I spent summers on the Cape as a child, and the "natives" felt the same way!!!)
Tiffany
A little choppy

I enjoyed her stories and adventures. I had to go back a lot to make sure I hadn't missed anything. There was a lot that was not explained before she would jump into another tale.
Carmen Barreto
good travel read

This was a good read. I expected more from the story, though. The story felt too much guide book like story telling versus what the author was truly feeling at each moment. It does have a happy ending. Would recommend as a good travel book read.
Joann
I really enjoyed this book and devoured it till she went to Thailand. With the "hashing" and drinking it turned me off a bit. The journey to Hawaii and Alaska didn't do it for me. I guess I enjoy reading more about the "exotic" places. Will read her next book though, if there is one.
Jani
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: etc
I enjoyed this book. It made me want to wander the world for awhile.
Kaz Gaisford
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I must need to dream bigger... her dream didn't scare me but it was very interesting to find a few more places that I hadn't dreamed of visiting.
Mackenzie
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Kristine's story is very interesting. I enjoyed her adventures from around the world. However, there were times when I would get bored. Overall, I enjoyed it and gained some personal inspiration.
  • Pink Boots and a Machete: My Journey from NFL Cheerleader to National Geographic Explorer
  • Writing Away: A Creative Guide to Awakening the Journal-Writing Traveler
  • To Hellholes and Back: Bribes, Lies, and the Art of Extreme Tourism
  • Somebody's Heart Is Burning: A Woman Wanderer in Africa
  • True North: Travels in Arctic Europe
  • Three Ways to Capsize a Boat: An Optimist Afloat
  • The Blind Masseuse: A Traveler's Memoir from Costa Rica to Cambodia
  • The Ringtone and the Drum: Travels in the World's Poorest Countries
  • All Over the Map
  • Mediterranean Summer: A Season on France's Côte d'Azur and Italy's Costa Bella
  • Nothing to Declare: Memoirs of a Woman Traveling Alone
  • Rubbing Shoulders in Yemen
  • The Wander Year: One Couple's Journey Around the World
  • The Spice Necklace: A Food-Lover's Caribbean Adventure
  • Backpacks and Bra Straps (Sihpromatum #2)
  • Practice Makes Perfect: : How One Doctor Found the Meaning of Lives
  • First Comes Love, then Comes Malaria: How a Peace Corps Poster Boy Won My Heart and a Third World Adventure Changed My Life
  • 360 Degrees Longitude: One Family's Journey Around the World
Exploring new places frees me from the expectations of my own culture, and it shows me how intriguing and diverse life can be. Although I thrive in Savannah, Georgia — despite its monstrous palmetto bugs, I am always plotting another adventure.

I only post reviews of books that please me. :-)
More about Kristine K. Stevens...

“While National Geographic magazine had given me a taste of the world, the three-dimensional details of this moment - the tickle of the rain drops, the suck sound of my feet in the mud, the challenge of getting photographs of the monkeys, my immature urge to make the driver wait even longer because he was annoying - would feed me for years to come.” 6 likes
“I like the idea that when I die, I will have a long sit-down chat with
God and get answers to all my questions. For example, those apple cores
that I threw out of car windows when I was a child—did any of them become
trees? Few boys or men had ever asked me out. I told myself that it
was because I was almost 6-feet tall. Was that true or was there something
humbling I needed to know?”
3 likes