Start by marking “A Pocket Guide to Combining Typefaces” as Want to Read:
A Pocket Guide to Combining Typefaces

A Pocket Guide to Combining Typefaces

Combining typefaces is challenging and fun, but it takes practice. Successful combinations are partly a matter of good taste, which can be tough to develop. And finding typefaces that work well together often takes more time than we (or our managers, or our spouses!) think it should.

This pocket guide will give you a framework for efficient practice, lead you to founts of k
Published April 2013 by Five Simple Steps

To ask other readers questions about A Pocket Guide to Combining Typefaces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pocket Guide to Combining Typefaces

Start your review of A Pocket Guide to Combining Typefaces
Микола
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: typography, en
Невеличка брошура про підбір шрифтів. Лаконічно викладено базові принципи, до всього додаються корисні лінки (на сайти чи книжки).
Вона, звісно, орієнтована на латинку, а ще більше на шрифти колекції Adobe
(бо саме там працює Тім Браун), але методи роботи універсальні.

Серед порад: читати текст, з яким треба буде працювати (і тестувати підбір на реальних зразках), порівнювати на різних рівнях: композиції в цілому, ритму шрифтів, будови літер.

Цікаво: типографія рухається від сторінки до екрана, то
Emanuel Serbanoiu
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The short format it's the main advantage of this book. I would recommend it to someone who has some time at his disposal and can really pay attention and doesn't mind to go in rabbit holes (the guide has a lot of useful links)
Nigar
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice and short. A lot of useful links and typeface combination examples.
Bryan
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick read and intro to combining typefaces...everything the title implies.
N.J. Ramsden
Short and sweet, this. Perhaps a little *too* short, at least for a tyro like me. The prose is clear, the illustrations adequate, but in some ways the presentation was a little crippled by the eBook format, as I would have liked to be able to see more detail in some of the images. It would also have been good to see more examples of 'good' and 'bad' typesetting, and suggestions as to why they might or might not work.

As it stands, however, the book contains a good number of useful and interesting
Phillip
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
A great little pocket guide.

Don't expect to finish reading this and immediately know how to combine typefaces, it merely serves as a brief guide and people new to typography might even be left a little overwhelmed. However, Tim references plenty of great external resources to help you expand on the various methods covered.

Definitely worth checking out if you're remotely interested in typography. I personally never really bother to combine different type, but after this quick little read, I'll be
Mateus Pinheiro
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book delivers it's promise: A pocket guide to combining typefaces. It just scratches the surface of type combination, but that's what pocket guides are supposed to do.

If you have a spare hour at the train or on a plane, get this book. You'll have a starting point on how to combine typefaces for your next project.
Jason
Apr 26, 2013 added it
Another great book from the pocket guide series. I think they just keep getting better. As with many other books in this series, this one gets you oriented to the topic, gives you a little theory, a little practical knowledge, and then points you in the right direction for further study. I'm excited to get started pairing some typefaces! Highly recommended.
Pam
I was hoping for more from this. Chapter 4, the part on actually combining typefaces, really could have used some additional explanation and examples. Some of the images seemed weirdly cropped or too low-res, I'm not sure if that's just the Kindle version, the ipad kindle app, or what.
Davor
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice handbook which I plan to consult whenever I'll have a hard time deciding on typfaces for a project at hand.
Vuk Trifkovic
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
nice, but insubstantial. good set of links to other literature and some good practical tips.
Georg
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: typography
Short and useful with a useful combination of information and tasks that the reader should carry out in order to gain the maximum benefit of the book.
Dan
May 15, 2020
Varaga Piry
May 10, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Universal Principles of Design: 100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach Through Design
  • Feck Perfuction: Dangerous Ideas on the Business of Life (Business Books, Graphic Design Books, Books on Success)
  • Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage