Start by marking “Computing machinery and intelligence” as Want to Read:
Computing machinery and intelligence

Computing machinery and intelligence

"Computing Machinery and Intelligence" is a seminal paper written by Alan Turing on the topic of artificial intelligence. The paper, published in 1950 in Mind, was the first to introduce his concept of what is now known as the Turing test to the general public.

Published in Mind 49: page 433-460.

(Source: Wikipedia)
Unbound, 24 pages
Published 2009 by MSAC Philosophy Group (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Computing machinery and intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Computing machinery and intelligence

Start your review of Computing machinery and intelligence
Javier Maldonado
Un texto fundacional, con un valor histórico tremendo, donde Turing aborda temas como la computación y la programación (aún en pañales en aquella época), la inteligencia artificial e incluso la filosofía de la mente. Creo que este ensayo (publicado por Turing en la revista "Mind" en 1950) necesita ser estudiado y no solo leído, sobre todo por la complejidad de algunos conceptos e ideas y porque no está escrito para un lector casual. En cuanto a la presente edición, encuentro brillante y agradezc ...more
Thomas Herzog
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In this classic essay, Turing makes the case for the possibility of thinking machines. He does this mainly by listing possible objections to this claim, and showing why none of them are, on closer inspection, very convincing. (Fun facts: He has little patience for theological arguments, yet is strangely worried how ESP phenomena, specifically telepathy, might be taken into account.)

His main proposal for deciding if a machine can think is by a kind of game, "The Imitation Game", what is now commo
L-ssar
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
En este corto ensayo se puede apreciar la genalidad de Turing: deja el germen de la IA y redes neuronales, nos habla de matemáticas de sistemas caóticos e incluso de telepatía (que el creía posible como fenómeno aun no explicado).
Margareta Diacenco
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, prof-dev
It's marvelous how the human mind could predict such a great helper as the AI: from 1843, the first time by Ada Lovelace and Charles Babbage to 1950 by Alan Turing and to modern days, where humans can't even compete anymore.
The description of the problem "Can machines think?" in this paper is a very thorough one and tackles both positive and negative sides of the problem, proving that in the near future - the '00s, humans would have achieved the needed storage space and developed technology to s
Basel
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Imagine we construct a Turing machine of a man who cannot read where he has a table of colors juxtaposed with wave frequencies of these colors(data base),and when a question handed to him say the word red he draws the numbers of the frequency of the red color(when Red is seen match its shape then print the juxtaposed cell,same to the reverse)(control) and him the can’t read man is the executive unit.we can complicate it a bit and add other information which can juxtaposed with the color and we c ...more
Stacey
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
I was a little skeptical about the relevance of this article at first, but it took me by surprise. A glimpse into digital computers from the past, refutation of several points of view claiming that the Turing test is not enough. There is even description of the old debugging process and a reference to Lady Lovelace!

Also, being able to predict learning machines in 1950? Artificial Intelligence must have been born the same second he thought about it. And look how much it's grown 71 years later...
Conclusión Irrelevante
"Personalmente creo que, dentro de unos cincuenta años, se podrá perfectamente programar computadoras con una capacidad de almacenamiento aproximada de 1.000.000.000 para hacerlas jugar tan bien al juego de imitación que un preguntador corriente no dispondrá de más del 70 por ciento de las posibilidades para efectuar una identificación correcta a los cinco minutos de plantear las preguntas."

Texto fundacional de la corriente dura en funcionalismo en Inteligencia Artificial y Ciencia Cognitiva. En
Cwpper David
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-ficción
Definitivamente, la voz de un genio. El texto está tan bien estructurado (Ojalá lo hubiera leído antes de presentar mi tesis de grado), su teoría es tan impresionante, que en un alarde de honestidad científica, el autor empieza a exponer las posibles objeciones a sus propias ideas, dando pie a otro remolino de conjeturas intelectuales aún más interesantes, que van desde la teología hasta la percepción extrasensorial, abordando por el camino temas tan controversiales como telepatía, clarividencia ...more
Nuno R.
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
An historical paper, that created "The Imitation Game", and was influential in all the AI research and thinking since it was published in 1950. Very well argued. Elegant writing. A pleasure to read. ...more
Gavin
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
More scientific than it's given credit for: the claim about the Turing test was

Consider first the more accurate form of the question. I believe that in about fifty years' time it will be possible, to programme computers, with a storage capacity of about 10^9 [bits], to make them play the imitation game so well that an average interrogator will not have more than 70 per cent chance of making the right identification after five minutes of questioning. The original question, "Can machines think?
Leonardo
Dec 17, 2018 marked it as to-keep-reference  ·  review of another edition
Can a computer understand the meaning of a sentence? And how could we tell if it did? This is similar to asking “Can a computer think?” Alan Turing famously proposed to answer this by examining the ability of a computer to hold sensible conversations with a human (Turing, 1950). Suppose you are having a chat session with a person and a computer, but you are not told at the outset which is which. If you cannot identify which of your partners is the computer after chatting with each of them, then ...more
Adil Master
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I should first mention that I am a computing student at sixth form and I am a tech head at heart so this is probably a biased review.

Can Machines think? is the question that Alan Turing poses us in this paper and in this amazing and detailed paper, he throughly explain what his answer is and what the power of machines could be. Some of his explination revolves around The Imitaion Game (not the movie) but an actual game were two people are questioned and an interagor tries to guess who is who? H
Bicho
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nunca me cayó bien Turing. Lo admito.
En fin, la cosa es que este ensayo de Alan M. Turing fue publicado originalmente en 1947 y ha pasado a la historia de la ciencia ya que se considera el antecedente de la IA. Es importante destacar el año, para ponerlo en su adecuado contexto.
La pregunta que da nombre al título era muy candente a mediados del siglo XX, cuando se comenzaban a vislumbrar las primeras computadoras digitales y atisbar de lo que serían capaces en un futuro no tan lejano.
Turing, en
Mira
I never imagined I'd appreciate and, more importantly, enjoy a work written by a mathematician, but I've been proved wrong! I also never imagined I'll encounter wit, sarcasm and conversational style in such a text, but here we are!
It's a wonderful paper, surprisingly relevant and accurate (as far as my literary-schooled mind can tell) despite it being written almost 70 years ago.
I wish I could tackle other writings by Turing because I do have a soft spot and tremendous respect for him but I feel
heidi
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. I love that Turing spent a portion of his article meditating on whether or not a machine could develop its own free will, consciousness, soul, etc. Basically, exploring what it means to be human.

I'll be mulling over the points within this book for a long, long time. Such ramifications. Wow.
Thomas
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
A super cool paper by Turing, about the idea of learning machines. It's hard to imagine that this was written 70 years ago, because much of what he writes describes the direction that has been followed by computer science since then. This really conveys the feel of a visionary man.

It's broadly accessible, I'd recommend anyone curious about machine learning to give a read to this seminal paper.
Partheeshwar
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm sure this book is linked with philosophy of mind. The first thing we should ask ourself is "what is thinking and what is mind"?. The book also deals with Mind-body theory and functionalism. Finally, the possibility of making an artificial intelligence to play an imitation game. ...more
Talia Flor
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating and easy to read. Could be used to introduce people on the subject as it is still relevant.

OBS: LOL at the bit about telekinesis and telepathy and how it is a solid argument against the efficiency and reliability of the imitation game.
Erik Perillo
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised in a good way reading this. The ideas explored in the text are even deeper than I thought. Besides being full of humor and wit, the paper also gives a good idea about how brilliant and scientifically-minded Turing was.
Benjamin Jordan
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m not qualified to give this less than five stars. I do think that most attempts to make Turing’s imitation game more digestible are far more difficult to process than Turing’s own writing. This should be required reading for anyone in technology.
Duc Tam Nguyen
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A pleasure to read
Benno Krojer
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
He really was ahead of his time with many thoughts. And understandably a bit too optimistic maybe.
Jaime
Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Para 50 páginas que tiene hay partes que son un poco densas... pero el tema que trata es muy interesante.
Matija
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unbelievably prophetic and visionary, even if the timeline is slightly off!
njpolizzi
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Considero que este pequeño libro (contiene en realidad la transcripción de una conferencia de 1947 del "padre" de la computación, A. Turing, en Ingles y en Español, así que se puede leer en su totalidad muy rápidamente), es de una importancia y trascendencia tal, que su lectura es imprescindible, y que debería ser mandatoria en todos los niveles de enseñanza.

Las ideas, consideraciones, e incluso acertadas predicciones, de Turing, expuestas hace 70 años, en tal forma que cualquier lector puede l
Lydia
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march-2015
Genius.
"It is very difficult to rearrange one's ideas so as to fit these new facts in. Once one has accepted them it does not seem a very big step to believe in ghosts and bogies. The idea that our bodies move simply according to the known laws of physics, together with some others not yet discovered but somewhat similar, would be one of the first to go" (Turing, 1).
Jessy
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tenía ganas de leerme este ensayo desde que vi la película "The imitation game". Me gustó como en vez de contestar lo que plantea, demuestra como las teorías contarias se equivocan. Es muy interesante ver todas las hipótesis de las que habla sobre las máquinas y que es la base de mucha de la tecnologia actual. Hubo algunos conceptos que no entendí muy bien, pero fue muy interesante. ...more
Mehrac Aliyari
I've never read a scientific research paper with such wit and humour before. Turing was quite the wordsmith. ...more
Manuel Genoves
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Muy agudo
David Leung
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-school
I don't know why Goodreads only lists this in Russian. This was a fantastic essay and the basis of the movie, Imitation Game. Turing was way ahead of his time. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Philosophical Investigations
  • Europe and the Faith
  • Why Anything? Why This?
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • A Primate's Memoir: A Neuroscientist's Unconventional Life Among the Baboons
  • Вскрытие покажет: записки увлечённого судмедэксперта
  • Monkeyluv: And Other Essays on Our Lives as Animals
  • Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior
  • Игры тестостерона и другие вопросы биологии поведения
  • Тайные виды на гору Фудзи
  • Discourse on Method and Meditations on First Philosophy
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived
  • Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data
  • Elastic: Flexible Thinking in a Time of Change
  • Making Up the Mind: How the Brain Creates Our Mental World
  • The Bonobo and the Atheist: In Search of Humanism Among the Primates

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Alan Mathison Turing (23 June 1912 – 7 June 1954), was an English mathematician, logician, cryptanalyst and computer scientist. He was highly influential in the development of computer science, providing a formalisation of the concepts of "algorithm" and "computation" with the Turing machine, which played a significant role in the creation of the modern computer. Turing is widely considered to be ...more