Start by marking “Against the Ropes (Redemption, #1)” as Want to Read:
Against the Ropes (Redemption, #1)

Against the Ropes

(Redemption #1)

He scared me. He thrilled me. And after one touch, all I could think about was getting more…

Makayla never thought she’d set foot in an underground mixed-martial arts club. But if anyone needs a medic on hand, it’s these guys. Trouble is, at her first sight of the club’s owner she’s the one feeling breathless.

All sleek muscle and restrained power, the man they call Tormen
Published September 3rd 2013 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about Against the Ropes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Ropes

Start your review of Against the Ropes (Redemption, #1)
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4 FCUK ME STARS!!!! (Nope. I didn’t misspell that.)

There was a lot of this:

And a lot of this:

And a whole lot of this:

And plenty of this:

And I pretty much did this the whole time:

And there was some of this:

And this is me loving this book:

My Torment/Max: everything you could ever dream!!!!

My Makayla: Laugh out Loud heroine - She’s such a dork – snorts when she laughs….fakes German accents….quirky sense of humor. I kinda had Jess, from New Girl, in my head.

redhead

Don’t be distracted by those low ratings!
Glamdring
Sep 04, 2013 rated it did not like it

*1,5 star*
*Spoiler free review*
*Buddy reading with Ali & Nikki*

The first half wasn't that bad. The writing was clumsy, but to be honest I found it quite funny.

The heroine's name is Makayla and the hero's nickname is Torment. <-- Ring a bell, anyone? Also, in her first appearance she's wearing a T-shirt with FCUCK written on it. I may be the only one in that case, but the name Makayla Delaney + the T-shirt and I couldn't help but think of the Fever series and MacKayla Lane and her Juicy Couture t
Catarina
4 Sexy Stars.

Makayla is a med student trying to make it through life. On night she meets Torment in a underground fight club and they are immediately take with each other. When things starts to heat between them she finds out that not only Torment has a hidden identity, he’s also a famous and billionaire CEO trying to expurgate his sins. Makayla has a bad past who makes her hate any kind of violence. Torment uses fights to help fight his demons. Can will ever find a middle ground?

description

This was a
Sheryl C. Nash
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*SSSSSSSSQQQQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLL*

This book was 50 Shades of AWESOME AND THEN SOME!!!! LOL!!!! LOVED the HECK outta it!!!

A heap of MMA, a dash of BDSM and a WHOLE LOTTA HUNKA-HUNKA BURNING HOTTIES... I've died and gone to heaven, I tell 'ya!

Torment aka Max was just a hot, tattooed, MMA fighting, ALPHA BAD ASS *SWOON*... I loved EVERYTHING about him!!!

I HOPE that you write MORE books about these fighters Ms. Castille!!! They are BEYOND
SexyBookTimes
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
So I really liked the first 20% or so of this book. I like the basic premise of the book. Sexy underground MMA fighter meets quirky slightly bohemian recent grad EMT girl. Yum. The writing is a bit shaky, but I really enjoyed Castille’s sense of humor so I settled in to enjoy the read. This book could have been interesting if it had stuck with the whole Mac working at the fight club as a medic in order to pay back her student loans while Max/Torment helps her get over her aversion to violence th ...more
Hannah G
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I gotta say this was the most unoriginal book I've ever read. I had two major problems with this book. 1 Mac's charater was really unoriginal like extremely. She was the typical I get nauseous while watching violence. Violence is bad. The typical give the guy a hard time when he try's to buy you a expensive present. Next was the I can't understand male love interests charater. And finally the don't pay my debt I'd rather run myself and family into the ground. I didn't like her as you can tell. T ...more
Jamie
Jul 17, 2014 added it
Shelves: mma
NO rating.... DNF at 25%

Am EMT that cannot stand the sight of blood/ violence... actually gets physically ill witnessing it....

A very popular bad boy underground unsanctioned MMA fighter that owns a gym and runs underground fights..and he ALSO is apparently a billionaire by day and is also as famous in his billionaire life as he is in his nighttime fight persona.. and apparently these paths don't cross each other....

He lands eyes on her once and immediately NEEDS her there with him when he
Deborah
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Enjoyed every minute of it.

I appreciate that sometimes how you're feeling can affect how much you enjoy a certain book so maybe it was that, I'm not sure but I loved every minute of this book, I literally could not get enough I loved the characters not just Torment and Makayla but everyone, from Amanda and Jake to the guys at Redemption to Charlie, let's just say everyone, I loved the story and it made me laugh, frequently.
Makayla can't do with violence in any form but desperate for money she en
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
Katie(babs)
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
The premise is what caught my eye but overall this was a DOA book for me. I'm not sure if it was the author's intention to make the heroine over the top silly and loopy. She's a big ditz even with her so-called education and skill as an EMT. Also the love interest Max is a big confusion. Is he some bad ass MMA fighter or some mega millionaire who gets off on fighting, or some alpha male who is also into BDSM? I rolled my eyes when he ties up the heroine on his motorcycle and all of a sudden want ...more
Coco.V
May 21, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (5/21/2019)! 🎁
Kenya Wright
BOILING HOT!

I mean seriously. Sometimes you see a hot cover like this and wonder if it will match up. . .and it does.

Now this wasn't a perfect book. Let's make that clear right now!!

Things that put me on edge:

**The heroine wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed....if you get my drift.

She wasn't SOOKIE stupid. (that's a whole 'nother level of stupidity).

But there were times when I was like, come on dude. . .

**The hero was TOO OBSESSIVE at times, verging on me yelling at the book, "Girl! You better
Tara  TUG
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy Mother Alpha..This book was just what I needed.Torment/Max was hot and bossy and everything in between..I love when the guy is overprotective to the point of obsessed. Thats right this girl waves her freak flag proud.To me an Alpha male is alpha in the bedroom and out and Sarah Castille nailed it head fucking on.

Max is running an underground fight club when Mckayla happens to stumble over the line and into his ring.I loved Max the minute he opened that damn bossy mouth and let me tell ya he
*TANYA*
Feb 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-again
Gahhhhh!!!! I think my IQ dropped with this one!!!
Duchess Nicole
This was good...didn't try to be all to badass, which was nice. I guess I expected a wannabe Real or something, but this was much more grown up feeling. LOTS and lots of laughs. Makayla is hilarious, and so are all the other MMA guys. Torment is good for some sexy times and I love that he and Makayla have this whole push/pull thing going on. On the other hand, the sexy times were just okay. It could be just me, but they didn't do a whole lot for my libido.

I did think that Torment got a bit high
Anita
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
MMA themed books are becoming one of my favorite genre. I like the whole build up of their relationship, Torment was so hot and Makayla sweet but at the same time badass. Couldn't put the book down and hope to get a book about Jake/Amanda.

I received an ARC from Netgalley.
Kara
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the fighters.
The bad boys.
The sexy ones.

This was a fun read!
Teri
First, a lot of people LOVE this book, so I am not discouraging anyone from reading it. I get that there are definitely things that didn't work for me, that are just my own things that I don't care for that will probably work very well for others.
I am just going to go and say everything now so I'm going to put it in spoiler tags, don't read if you haven't read the book or want to know...everything.
(view spoiler)
Melody
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS, BEST I’VE READ IN A WHILE! LOVED IT!

Max Huntington is all fighter in that ring,

But all lover once he steps out of it.

He knows what he wants,

And he knows how to attract it with his smothering good looks.

He has a pleasuring hot temper and a kinky fetish,

He has tattoos and he’s ripped to the core.

But he has a brokenness to him...

A need to belong, and only Makayla can fulfill this desire.

I loved this book so much. Like, I can actually relate to this shit. It has so many monologue
P.A. Lupton
Apr 06, 2014 rated it did not like it

I really disliked this book, which was unexpected. I’d heard good things from a few friends on Goodreads, and I read the blurb and it sounded like my kind of book. Sadly, it just fell apart. This novel is way, WAY, too unrealistic for me to enjoy. I understand its fiction and I need to take a lot of the content with a grain of salt, but it was one unrealistic event after another until it became too much.

First of all, the characters were just off to me. The heroine is an almost EMT (not quite) wh
Vampire-lk
Very quick read! I liked it! I do see where people’s comments come from there is a discord at times & it seems other times facts are glossed over! If one suspends reality at times & go with the angst driven storyline this is a fun little romp of a novel! Will check out next in series! ...more
Melissasfandomworld
Everything I've read by Sarah Castille before I started Against the Ropes has been so good. So I had high hopes for this book. I really wasn't expecting it to be such a let down, so I was quite shocked and saddened by the fact that I do feel this way about the book :( It's so sad when you start a book by an author that you've previously loved so much, and to then find out that this read just isn't doing it for you.

I love the MMA elements, I love the writing style, but that's about it. I don't c
SheLove2Read
Apr 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, dnf
This was a frustrating read, what I did read of it. The heroine is an EMT yet she can't stand the sight of violence (to the point of getting physically ill), which to me seems very strange. Having worked as a public servant, you're going to see the aftermath of violent events, and I just thought that plot made no sense. It's also a book with BDSM which is not mentioned at all in the blurb, or I would not have picked it up. Huge negative in my opinion to not let the reader be aware.

It's written i
Katie_la_geek
Jun 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
For this review and more visit my blog

Against the ropes sounded great and I was really excited to read it but it turned out to be completely different to what I thought it would be and I really didn’t like it at all. I don’t really know where to start with this review as I feel like there is so much I want to say but I really hate to write purely negative reviews.

Makayla is struggling financially. She has a full time job but her student loan repayments are breaking her. Despite not wanting to (d
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
Huh, definitely not what I was expecting.......

Max is the billionaire?( I'm assuming) owner of the underground fight club Redemption and he's also a fighter who wants to be #1.

Mac is somewhat of an EMT who works in the admissions Dept of the hospital and is yet to decide what to do with her life career wise, she does however hate violence and cannot be around any situation with it.

I'm not sure of the ages of the mcs but they acted like teenagers.
This book was trope heavy from the kinky billionai
beachbum bookworm
Against the Ropes is the first book in the Redemption series by Sarah Castille. It is the story of Max (Torment) and Makayla. I have a lot to say about this book...so the synopsis is going to be very short! Max is a billionaire MMA fighter...Makayla has a ton of student loans and is a little lost about where she wants to go in her life (oh and she has an aversion to blood/violence).

My thoughts:

Sorry if this review is going to read like mouth vomit...because I’m going to spew! Castille writes
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
3.75-4 Stars

Fight terms skitter through my brain. Naked. Back. Rear. Mount. Submission. Dominant. Pound.

If you didn’t know why I love reading MMA books, just read the above quote and you’ll automatically know the reason. Nice right? Reading those words, you know that anyone with a perverted mind, like me, would automatically think dirty things.

I was browsing through my Kindle when I came across this impromptu purchase I made a bit ago. I figured, meh! Why not give it a go? I love MMA Heroes
Tabatha
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Starting with the cover… it’s hot and definitely will attract readers to this book. I stewed about this review, because if not for the need to review it, I wouldn’t have finished it.

I thought the premise was good, but that the book lacked originality. It seems to be a combination of a lot of popular books out right now, but done as a parody. Unfortunately I felt no connection to the characters, and I had issues with the connection between the characters as well. The story could have been streng
Aղցela W.
Spoiler Ahead This was a really good book that I would have given 5 stars if the sex scenes would have started sooner than chapter 15. Makayla Delaney "Mak" as her friends called her went to an underground MMA fighting gym called Redemption with her best friend Amanda so she can hook up with Jake a member and fighter at the gym when she runs into Max "Torment" Huntington who is the owner of the gym. Torment is a rich playboy who doesn't tell her who he is at first. I really liked the main charac ...more
Kitten Mercer
DNF at 63%. I am a huge fan of romance novels with a fighter hero but this book left me seething with frustration. I just couldn't bring myself to read any more further with the whole "ice cream" thing. The first few chapters of the book got me hooked. But when I nearly reached the second half, I got fed up and it didn't work for me anymore. The hero was a complete asshole for (view spoiler) ...more
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. MMA Billionaire Romance New Adult book. [s] 4 18 Jul 11, 2020 03:15AM
Against the Ropes Review 2 38 Sep 13, 2014 04:33AM

• Down and Out (Knockout Love #1)
  • Extreme Love (Love to the Extreme, #1)
  • Against the Cage (Worth the Fight, #1)
  • Fighting Love (Love to the Extreme, #2)
  • Phenomenal X (Hard Knocks, #1)
  • Filthy Rich
  • Changing the Game (Play by Play, #2)
  • Consumed (Consumed, #1)
  • Laid Out (Worth the Fight, #4)
  • The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1)
  • Below the Belt (Worth the Fight, #3)
  • Full Contact (Worth the Fight, #2)
  • The Hurricane (The Hurricane, #1)
  • Bound (Mastered, #1)
  • Playing to Win (Play by Play, #4)
  • One Sweet Ride (Play by Play, #6)
  • Taking a Shot (Play by Play, #3)
  • Colters' Woman (Colters' Legacy, #1)
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author, Sarah Castille, writes contemporary erotic romance and romantic suspense featuring blazingly hot alpha heroes and the women who tame them. A recovering lawyer and caffeine addict, she worked and traveled abroad before trading her briefcase and stilettos for a handful of magic beans and a home near the Canadian Rockies.

Redemption (5 books)
  • In Your Corner (Redemption, #2)
  • Full Contact (Redemption, #3)
  • Fighting Attraction (Redemption, #4)
  • Strong Hold (Redemption, #5)

News & Interviews

“Tell me the truth,” he rasps. “Admit it made you hot. It made you wet. You are coiled so tight I could slide my hand down your panties and make you come before you could tell me to stop.” 7 likes
“Rampage frowns. “If you can’t even hear about it, how are you going to watch the fight?” Bucket on head. Facecloth over eyes. Torment has given me lots of options.” 4 likes