Start by marking “By a Thread (By a Thread, #1)” as Want to Read:
By a Thread (By a Thread, #1)

By a Thread (By a Thread #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  906 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews

Published March 15th 2013 by CreateSpace (first published March 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about By a Thread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By a Thread

R.L. Griffin
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: favorites
Michelle
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Single moments can make or break you. For Stella her life seemed to be filled with moments that broke her. I did not know what to expect when I started this, but what I got blew me away.

The prologue... you just know it's going to be amazing when you are already drawn in with just the first few pages. A flash of what is to come...a dramatic scene. You spend the rest of the book trying to figure out how we got there.

In a single moment her world ended.
She lost him.
She lost herself.

The only thing
Miss
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: waste-of-time
The sample gave me enough that I was curious as to where this story was heading so I purchased it and read the book this morning. There was an intense prologue at the beginning of this book so I read on with high hopes for how it would all play out in the end.

My issues are few but the ones that I do have are important for a story to have in order for me to connect.

1. The author does not describe the environment that surrounds the characters. The readers are given the bare minimum even when it co
Sofia Lazaridou
Aug 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
*Possible spoiler warning*

I would like to say that I lost hours of sleep because I had to read this and now in 7:15 in the morning I regret it. This is not a book that is worth losing your sleep over.

I did not like the book. Stella was pissing me off 9.9 out of 10 times. She must be the character that I have ever hated the most in a book. She was a coward, selfish, stubborn and self-destructive. I wanted to throw something at her just in case she woke and realized what she was doing. Am I the o
J

But why...

I don't....

What??

How?

Omg I can't even form a sentence right now..
I'll be back back with a review when I can get my head around this.
Shamika
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I am literally hanging by a thread! What just happened? I went back and re-read the last couple chapters again. At one point I think I was holding my breath. Right at the start I knew I would like this book and I loved it.

So Stella is recently engaged, living in a new town and about to start law school. Her future is looking bright and she couldn't be happier. Then tragedy strikes and her world is literally rocked! She's alone and doesn't know how to live. Stella finds comfort in drinking and s
Lys
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Spoiler alert!!! I feel like I can't even write this review...or even rate this book. I am so frustrated! The prologue had me hooked immediately. After Jaime died I just knew the man with the eyes was going to be him. I figured that the ATF had faked his death but why Jaime would have picked a job over her if they had such a great love was beyond me. I continued reading anxiously awaiting to be reintroduced to that scene to get answers. Did he really shoot her? I was so mad when the book ended t ...more
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to the publisher and the author for the opportunity.

I have slept overnight before writing this review, to let it all settle in my thoughts and feelings. This was an out of the box read for me as when I chose it I did not realise it fell into the New Adult category and that's a genre I don't usually explore however this was not a bad read at all with a few surprises I was not expecting
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 shiny stars

OMG what have I just read..the prologue gets you hooked and then the ending really pees you off...I have just spent a good 10-15 minutes looking to see if there is a sequel and thank god there is..the book just ended...I have so many questions...so many answers I need..I was like argggghhh seriously that cannot be the end of the book..it is not a cliff hanger but I just wasn't ready for it to end, neither were the characters and neither were all my questions I still want answered!
Emma Corcoran
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
They say never to judge a book by it's cover. Well I did on this one and I LOVED the cover, so with a glowing recommendation from those lovely gals at A Love Affair with Books I 'one-clicked' and By A Thread was immediately moved up my TBR list. TBH I only read the first two lines of the blurb of the book and I knew it would be my kinda book.

Stella has been dealt the shittiest deck of cards life can throw at her. Her idyllic life with a bright future clearly mapped out ahead, is suddenly and irr
Jennifer Lane
Picking Up The Pieces

Author R.L. Griffin and I will attend the New Adult Sleepover Weekend in Savannah, Georgia in December, 2013 (more info here: http://newadultsleepover.blogspot.com). When I discovered she writes my favorite genre of romantic suspense, I definitely wanted to read her novel! And I'm so glad I did.

Stella and Jamie were student-athletes at the same university. They fell in love and got engaged, then moved to Washington, D.C. to live together. Jamie starts a career with the ATF (
Yari
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy Crap what a book!

From the moment that I picked up this book I literally couldn’t put it down… so I didn’t! It really sucked me in to the story and had me captivated by the characters. It was an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish.

RL Griffin is unbelievable! She threw so many twists and turns into this story that I did not know where it was headed but they worked brilliantly.

Stella deals with a seriously heavy and emotional event that leaves her not knowing how to cope with life i
Aestas Book Blog
Apr 21, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: top-tbr, soon

I like the sound of this one!!

BLURB --> Stella's future was set, and it was a bright one. She was engaged to a man she adored, and was headed to law school in the fall. Tragically, her perfectly planned future ends just as it was beginning.

With no ties to family or friends, Stella finds herself alone in a new city, spiraling out of control. Her typical day comes to a close with her passed out on the floor; sometimes clothed.

Luckily, her new roommate, essentially a stranger, is dead set on
Anas Attic  Book Blog
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: smut-romance
Read more of my reviews and ramblings, and enter this giveaway at Ana's Attic Book Blog

By a Thread by R.L. Griffin is a book, from the description, that there is no way I would have read, despite it's awesome cover. If you guys have been following my reviews, you know I like feel-good books. Emotions are fine if I get my HEA. But my sister asked me to do a friend a favor and read her book, and I did, with some trepidation from reading the blurb. Well guess what? I was completely and utt
*Marsha,Marsha,Marsha* It's always Marsha
Amazing 5 Star read for me. Highly emotional Made me truly feel as I read it; made me experience the pain of Stella. I find it hard to even write a review that does it justice. Just know that when you pick up this book, you are taking a journey through Stella's life at its lowest point. All she had planned, all she had longed was right there....then just gone. Her coping mechanisms? Alcohol. Over and over and over. She is shattering but soon her new roommate Patrick is there to help pick up the ...more
Hollie
This book was all over the place. I'm talking a major clusterfuck. Several times I wanted to just stop reading this and be done with it, but I kept on going because in all honesty, the storyline wasn’t your typical layout and I wanted to see how things played out. Here's the thing............they didn’t. Tons of loose ends, nothing was resolved. Confusion galore. Little to nothing made sense, and the plot was hard to follow. I understand this is book 1 of a series, but I never appreciate feeling ...more
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs

Stella's future was all set. She was engaged to a man she adored, and was about to start a new life in a new town. She was going to start law school until tragically, her perfectly planned future is thrown into turmoil.

This amazing story will keep you gripped. I must have caught myself ten times with my brow drawn up in astonishment, with my mouth hanging open thinking what the hell just happened!!

Fraught with a myriad of emotions, heartbreak, love and longing this truly is a amazing read. I'm l
Desiree Gorman -  A Love Affair With Books
When reading the synopsis for By A Thread, I have to be honest, I was completely scared. I absolutely hate tragedy and am such an emotional nut that when the bad stuff happens, I can't stop crying. After reading By A Thread, I can honestly say, the book overview doesn't even come close to doing the justice the book deserves.

To read the rest of my review, visit A Love Affair With Books.
Keelie
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!
Sandie Book Boyfriend Reviews
5/5 hearts

Sometimes its hard to read a friends book and be totes honest because you have built a friendship right? unless you are me. I am honest so with that said I want to tell RL WTF??? like seriously WTF??
lets see if I can better explain this to you all ok.

1. This book took me and turned me upside down, then it grabbed me by shoulders shook the shit out of me, next it slapped me in my face, finally it set me down and gave a little bit of love but not too much.

2. What did I expect? Well fu
Amanda (Hootie) Clark
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
R.L. Griffin makes me stiffen! This book is intense, heartbreaking, dramatic, nerve wracking and any other word you can use to describe a book that left me with a shit load of grey hair. It's a character driven story following the daily struggles of the main character trying to cope with grief while starting over.

The prologue begins with Stella working in an FBI field office when an explosion rocks her office. Three masked men rush in and one is determined to have his way with her despite her pr
Cristina
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
By a Thread is definitely a different read and it’s totally up my alley. This is romance-suspense at its finest and it will keep you guessing the entire time.

The story starts out with Stella and Jamie who met during college and the
AmberB
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2013
What the... I am honestly ticked and have been since I finished this two days ago. I don't even know where to begin. First let me apologize for the rant. I normally do not do this, but it is a must. I will try to explain by not giving away any details. Wish me luck!

Lets begin. If this is a stand alone book I will be livid. If this book has a sequel I will be even more irate than I already am. Honestly, I am furious! I read the prologue and the first few chapters and thought this is going to be g
Saunders
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, series
Well this book had it all. Heartbreak, loss, longing, love...and this story was very appropriately named as it will have a lot of you "hanging by a thread" until the very last page. It was quite a story and the synopsis doesn't prepare you for what you are about to read.

This is a very good novel from RL Griffin and it is a free download. Something very different and I really liked the way the story started with the ending.

Her future was set; she adored Jamie and was headed to law school but the
Tracy
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book when I picked it up.....but I enjoyed every minute of it. All characters in this book were wonderful!!! Stella is one BADASS chick and I just loved George (or whatever his name is....hahahahaha). The prologue sets you up for a very interesting read....and then the tragedy happens to Stella that just broke my heart for her. I can't imagine what it would feel like to be in that position but she was lucky to have Patrick and Billy there to guide her throu ...more
нυgѕαи∂¢σσкιєѕ
A pretty good suspense what-the-hell-happened read.

The prologue introduces Stella and then a cliffhanger. WTH. My thoughts exactly. But as you read on, the story unfolds from prologue to ending and at times I felt it drag abit.

This book brings a lot of feels and oh know, please no Stella moments. Stella's happy moments to her downhill out of control don't want to care moments. Stella uses alcohol as her way of forgetting what happened. She also has pretty awesome friends well I for one think th
Angela Mclaurin
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Heartbreak, loss, longing, love...oh boy, this story had me "hanging by a thread" emotionally. Stella dealt with a seriously emotional and tragic event and is trying to figure out how to simply survive. With the help of her friends and roommates, and of course the bartender, George, she is able to slowly start to live again.

I loved the humor in this story. Even when dealing with a rather dark subject, there were lines that had me giggling out loud. The group of friends and their relationships r
Pamela
Ria
GAH!!! Loved, loved, every second of this READ! It's like Ms. Griffin took all of my favorite things, and cleverly put them in THIS.BOOK! I found my self saying “hey me too”... Like.A.LOT! Amazing! I Laughed, I cried, I cringed, and I screamed!!

My Rating

4.5 Swiming pool, Drunken Dare, Dog park, Red heels, Drunken torture, Deleted FB account, Study group, Scary tattoo, Spare key, Motorcycle ride, Nervous vomiting, Blonde Beard, AFT Agent Debriefing, Sudden Bombing, Embracing Love filled Stars!!
Christine
This book did not work for me. I felt no connection to the main character, Stella. I am not sure if it was because the story was written in third person or that she was just mean. I understand her fiancé died, but three years later and she is still whining “poor me.” I mean I understood her initial pain over losing Jamie, but she was so hurtful to the people who tried to help her. And all the drinking. I do not understand why George or anyone wanted to spend any time with Stella. It was as if sh ...more
  • Exposing Alix
  • Seeing Red (Seeing Red, #1)
  • Rock and Roll Never Forgets (Rock and Roll Trilogy, #1)
  • The Heart Has Reasons
  • Never Have I Ever
  • Nowhere to Run (Stephanie Carovella #1)
  • The Perpetual Quest for the Perfect Life
  • Fight or Flight (Fight or Flight, #1)
  • The Broken Road (The Broken Road, #1)
  • Can't Let Go
  • Your Gift to Me
  • Olivia
  • Let It Go
  • Hate Me
  • Play With You (Loneliness, #1)
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
  • Damage Done
  • Beyond The Mask (The Beyond, #1)
R.L. lives in the Atlanta area with her husband, son, and two dogs. After going to law school at American University, Washington College of Law, she settled back in the state in which she grew up but only after she fell in love with D.C. She worked in the Senate during the impeachment trial and the Department of Justice.

She loves reading all sorts of books and rarely has free time.
More about R.L. Griffin

By a Thread (5 books)
  • Tension (By a Thread, #2)
  • Seamless (By a Thread, #3)
  • Mending (By a Thread, #3.5)
  • Heart in Wire (By a Thread, #4)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“She was held together by a thread. Not even a strong fishing wire, but the kind of thread that could fray and break in the wind. A thread that could unravel at any moment, scattering and smashing all the pieces of her that she as trying desperately to keep together.” 13 likes
“Time makes things tolerable. Time gives you perspective on events that shake your world to the core. Time allows you to move forward. But time doesn’t change the pain that sits in your gut.” 11 likes