Start by marking “How to Wrap Five More Eggs: Traditional Japanese Packaging” as Want to Read:
How to Wrap Five More Eggs: Traditional Japanese Packaging

How to Wrap Five More Eggs: Traditional Japanese Packaging

From the jacket:

Could there be a more unlikely subject for an amazingly successful book than traditional Japanese packaging? And yet, when Hideyuki Oka's How to Wrap Five Eggs appeared in 1967, the almost unanimous reaction might be summed up as: "utterly delightful!" And the exclamation is even truer of the present namesake of that earlier book: it not only retains the fa
Published January 1st 1975 by Weatherhill Inc

To ask other readers questions about How to Wrap Five More Eggs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Wrap Five More Eggs

Start your review of How to Wrap Five More Eggs: Traditional Japanese Packaging
Emma Sea
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Intriguing. The scraps of information about each packaging both informed, and were contextualized by, other non-fiction books about Japanese culture I have read. One more little jigsaw piece to make my understanding richer.

The limitations of the book reflect the time in which it was published: mostly b&w plates, descriptions in the back.

Recommended.
Alpha
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it
I don't really know how to start reviewing this book. It's really just a huge book of pictures of Japanese packaging. As I read it (if the act of looking at each picture could be called reading), I would be struck by the design of a package every so often, but I skimmed through much of the book not knowing what the package was for. There is an appendix of sorts at the end explaining the pictures, but I really wish the blurbs had been included with the pictures. So, I guess it's pretty nifty, but ...more
James
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A fun book on an obscure subject, at least in English.
Luke
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beautifully-photographed record of wrapping - both sophisticated and rustic - from Japan. Clear, timeless photography and just enough text. This book replaces Oka's first work on the subject, How To Wrap Five Eggs. It's a brilliant meditation on packaging that, while becoming less prevalent, certainly hasn't disappeared, and shows how cling-wrap has robbed us of some simple beauty.

I don't really understand people giving this book a low score, or complaining that the information about the images
Rose
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rose by: Serdar Yegulalp
Finally finished looking through the most fascinating picture book. A later version of Oka Hideyuki's book "How To Wrap Five More Eggs," (1965) "How To Wrap Five Eggs"(1967) was, for me, a wistful look at how things were wrapped in a younger Japan. Small as my apartment is, I would love to have some of those wrappings for the simple beauty of them.

One treat I found was in the author's commentaries on the plates.Pages 195 and 196 were switched with pages 201 and 202.They were also upside down. I
Kristen
Mar 15, 2009 is currently reading it
Shelves: design
This is a collection of photographs showing traditional Japanese wrapping and packaging. Containers are made of sectioned bamboo, folded paper. This is a thought provoking book in this age of "green" packaging, nothing is as beautiful or truly environmentally friendly as the packages shown here. The book's title comes from the packaging of five uncooked eggs in twisted strands of rice straw, beautiful, effective and "green".
Agnes Tan
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
I love to read, browse the pictures in this book over and over again. It gives me inspirations to make do with whatever I have to wrap, store or carry stuffs. I already borrowed from the library many times to the point of almost hogging the book. I am so sorry but I will borrow again if I see the loan dates are awhile ago.
Ray Quirolgico
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is much more than a collection of beautiful photos of wrapped objects. The commentary provides a contemplative meditation on the nature of objects, the intention of giving, the nature of human kindness and personal relationships. Surprisingly warm and inspiring, for what might otherwise appear to be a boo about product design.
Claudia Felske
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I can't stop looking at this book and how perfect and organic traditional japanese packing is. seems all things should fit like this: ideas, people.
Noreen
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan
Presentation is important in Japanese living. Must have a Zen origin? Creative and Original. Relaxing book for browsing.
Beth Quittman
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was hoping for some actual 'How', not just pictures.
Devin
Jan 25, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
From the title of the book I assumed that this book would provide instructions. This is just a picture book.
Relyn
Feb 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Relyn by: Selvedge magazine
Really?? REALLY???

YEESH!!
Finlay
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A few interesting packages, but would have be nice to have the description of the contents closer than the appendix.
Yim Carolyn
Sep 11, 2020
Honey Young
Nov 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• 極主夫道 5 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband, #5)
  • 極主夫道 2 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #2)
  • 極主夫道 3 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #3)
  • 極主夫道 6 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband, #6)
  • 極主夫道 4 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband, #4)
  • Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 1 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 1] (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, #1)
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 8 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 8] (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, #8)
  • 月刊少女野崎くん アンソロジー [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Anthology]
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 4 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 4] (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, #4)
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 11 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 11] (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, #11)
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 6 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 6] (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, #6)
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 2 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 2] (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, #2)
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 7 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 7] (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, #7)
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 5 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 5] (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, #5)
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 3 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 3] (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, #3)
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 10 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 10] (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, #10)
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 9 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 9] (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, #9)

News & Interviews