Start by marking “Murder Is Academic (Cassandra James in Cambridge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder Is Academic (Cassandra James in Cambridge, #1)

Murder Is Academic

(Cassandra James in Cambridge #1)

All is not well at Cambridge University's St. Ethelreda's College. The head of the English Department is dead, and Professor Cassandra James is appointed the task of running the department. Faced with the choice of whipping her underperforming colleagues into shape or losing the much-needed funding for the program, Cassandra resigns herself to the challenge. However, when ...more
Published April 15th 2004 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Is Academic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Is Academic

Start your review of Murder Is Academic (Cassandra James in Cambridge, #1)
Grey853
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Amber
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was a decent first novel. I must admit, however, that I'm not a fan of pregnant women as a plot device and even less fond of childbirth as an event in this type of book. Save it for the touchy feelies and just let the cozies be cozies.
Bev
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Being an academic mystery fan I can't resist snatching them off the library shelves when I see them. I should have left this one on the shelf. The writing is not crisp and the story just did not hold my interest. I did finish it...just.
Dinh Hong
Aug 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
just try to finish it. The plot is not very logic - just so boring.
Tony Fitzpatrick
Murder mystery (not a police procedural) based around multiple deaths in and around a Cambridge College. The plot is very convoluted and the role of the principal (a divorced lecturer battling for her job, carrying a baby, and in a complex romantic relationship) rather implausible. Very slow in the middle and involving the introduction of bizarre story-lines including seances and the occult. I struggled through it, but the poor writing, lack of character development, and weirdly the clunky forma ...more
Hannah McInnes
Jul 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
To be honest, this book was a chore to get through. The writing was clunky, the characters (with the minimal exclusion of the lead) weren't really developed, and the ending was a hot, rushed mess. If you want to challenge yourself by trying to get through a dull book, be my guest. Otherwise, it'd be best to stay away from this particular novel.
Susan
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Set in the English department of one of the Cambridge University colleges, the detective, Cassandra James, is a professor who specializes in Victorian authors. All it takes is a slight exaggeration of the normal wrangling within the typical college or university to imagine a motive for murder. An entertaining read but probably more interesting to readers tuned into academic settings.
Reggie Virus
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bryan Lawson
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a different published edition to the eraly one of the same name.
Bryan Lawson
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved her description of the academic world. Gets going so quickly and keeps up the pace
Tracyk
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Decided that this read was a 5 star for me. I loved the ending and finished the book in one day. More extensive review coming soonish.
Misbah
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Suzanne
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
A nice debut mystery novel. I very much liked the setting and the professor / sleuth, Dr. Cassandra James. The book drags a tiny bit in the middle but builds to a nice climax in which the killer was not at all who I was suspecting. I hope there are more books in the series.
Mary
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book! oh the twisted plots and tangled relationships in the Academy!
Krob
Jun 22, 2008 added it
It seems to ge a summer of escapist reading. A murder in Cambridge. Conclusion not as satisfying as it could have been, but great atmosphere. Definitely intend to read the sequel next.

Bev
This one is better than Murder is Academic. The story held my interest...it was a good thing I read this one first.
Sharon
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite of Poulson’s three academic mysteries.
Jennifer Medeiros
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Eh. Not bad, but don't bother. It was just so-so and there are so many more books out there to be read.
Anastacia
Jul 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Could NOT get into this at all... took it back to the library... will try again another time.
Marte Ottemo
Court
Sep 24, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Maigret and the Pickpocket
  • Whose Body?  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #1)
  • Witches of Lychford (Lychford, #1)
  • Unreliable Memoirs
  • Friends in High Places (Commissario Brunetti, #9)
  • The Stranger Diaries (Harbinder Kaur #1)
  • The Alteration
  • Death Of A Doll
  • Square Haunting: Five Women, Freedom and London Between the Wars
  • Serious Eater: A Food Lover's Perilous Quest for Pizza and Redemption
  • The Billiard Room Mystery
  • Mr. Fortune's Practice
  • Death in a Bookstore: An Inspector De Vincenzi Mystery
  • How to Read a Church: A Guide to Symbols and Images in Churches and Cathedrals
  • Linked Data for the Perplexed Librarian
  • The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise
  • Maigret and the Nahour Case
  • L'Appart: The Delights and Disasters of Making My Paris Home
Christine Poulson was born and brought up in North Yorkshire, England. She is now a research fellow at the Centre for Nineteenth-Century Studies at Sheffield University and chair of the William Morris Society. She has written widely on 19th-century art and literature, and her most recent work of non-fiction was a book on Arthurian legend in British art from 1840 to 1920. She lives with her family ...more

Cassandra James in Cambridge (3 books)
  • Stage Fright (Cassandra James in Cambridge, #2)
  • Footfall (Cassandra James in Cambridge, #3)