Start by marking “Count the Monkeys” as Want to Read:
Count the Monkeys

Count the Monkeys

Kids will giggle as they count all the animals that have frightened the monkeys off the pages. Full of fun reader interactions and keeps readers guessing until the very last page! Matching Mac Barnett's brilliant wit are Kevin Cornell's luminous illustrations, which will have young readers begging to count the monkeys all over again.
Published June 25th 2013 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Count the Monkeys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Count the Monkeys

Christopher
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I CAN'T FRIGGIN' WAIT TO READ THIS AT STORYTIME! Kids three and up will absolutely fall in love with this book. Audience participation abounds in another winner (and new classic) from Mac Barnett. I know that every child I read this to will make me count every single one of the monkeys on the final endpapers and I'm perfectly fine with that. Barnett has crafted a well thought out concept book that will hopefully be around for many years to come. Whether you feel it should be mongooses or mongees ...more
Kathryn
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a book that just begs to be read aloud, it is so funny and interactive. And I think the more kids the merrier, I can just imagine the giggles spreading, the glances exchanged! ;-) It is silly, good fun and I quite enjoyed it.
Shiloah
Best read aloud book of the year! Lots of laughs!
Abigail
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for More Interactive Counting Books
The narrator invites the young reader to count the monkeys in this amusing one-to-ten book, but the opportunity never materializes, as a variety of other animals usurp their place. From the '1 King Cobra' who scares away the monkeys in the first place, to the '2 Mongooses' who chase away the cobra, each group of animals supplants the last, until finally the reader is on the last page. Fortunately (or not), there are some monkeys cavorting on the rear end-paper, so despite the claims in the text, ...more
Heidi-Marie
Fabulous!! A hilarious twist to your typical counting book. Wonderful illustrations. Humor abounds, begging for me to do this in preschool storytime. I am a definite fan of Mac Barnett's books.

2/19/14 Perfect for "That's Crazy" theme. I used it to end off, with "5 Little Monkeys" as lead-in song and a Monkey worksheet. I think because the crowd got a little bigger they weren't able to see the details as much. But they still got the humor. The kids didn't pick up that what I was asking them was p
Barbara
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
As readers prepare to count the monkeys, other animals on various pages have apparently scared them off. What's a reader to do? Why, count the number of other animals on each page, of course. The text and illustrations invite enthusiastic reader response, for instance, readers are cautioned to move slowly when they turn the page so they can slip past the king cobra on the first page. Along the way to ten, readers will encounter seven wolves, nine lumberjacks, but not one single, solitary monkey. ...more
Barbara
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of those picture books for ages 4-7 that will have them interacting with the reader and giggling their way through he pages. We never really get to counting monkeys in Let's Count the Monkeys because the book is hijacked by king cobras, mongooses (or is it mongeese?)crocodiles, bears and plenty of other zany folks including lumber jacks. Along the way you'll be helping the reader by waving your arms, yelling, turning pages and generally becoming part of the story. What a great book t ...more
Chelsea
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Very fun and interactive book for preschool storytime.
Erth
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great rainy day fun. Count the monkeys...look out for the snake!
Jillian Heise
Breaks the fourth wall in hilarious fashion. Had my niece cracking up as she read it to me.
Ginnie
3 year old was all ready to count some monkeys. This book kept her involved but she wasn't satisfied when no monkeys showed. She did acknowledge that it's funny.
Chuck Knudsen
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute spin on the traditional counting books, with the monkeys never actually showing up until the very end.
Sophie
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-myself
It’s funny 😅!!
Richie Partington
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Richie's Picks: COUNT THE MONKEYS by Mac Barnett and Kevin Cornell, ill., Disney Hyperion, June 2013, 32p., ISBN: 978-1-4231-6065-6

"Hey, kids! Time to count the monkeys! It's fun. It's easy. All you have to do is turn the page...and COUNT THE MONKEYS"

Houston, we've got a problem. Where the heck did all the monkeys go???

"I don't know why
You should want to hide"
-- Lennon/McCartney, "You Won't See Me"

Err...I thought that this book was supposed to be about monkeys. But something has seriously gone w
Nicole Clear
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I watched a video on youtube of the author, Mac Barnett, reading this book to a group of children. He shows what a bit of enthusiasm and imagination can do to change the way a book is read and interacted with.

From the outset it seems like nothing more than a book helping children to count to ten, but the author manages to grab their attention with great acting and dramatics which gets them excited for the turn of the page. So not only to the children begin to recognise the first ten numbers in
Melissa
Perfectly paced, with well-judged invitations for participation (nothing too extreme, nothing you can't do sitting down together on a couch or in storytime) that also make sense with the story (quietly turn the page away from the cobra; whistle and smile so the bees don't think you're afraid). Awesome body and facial expressions on the characters.

I love how it starts off with a pretty strong connection from page to page (monkeys-cobra-mongooses) then page by page its grip on reality becomes a l
paula
I swear, every book Mac Barnett writes doubles as a lesson plan. (Think about Chloe and the Lion, Battle Bunny, and Extra Yarn for JUST ONE SECOND.) On the first page of this book, a frightful cobra has scared off all the monkeys. After turning the page ("very slowly, very carefully"), two mongoose have scared off the snake, but still there are no monkeys.

Absolutely, positively, you can use this framework to make a book with any group of children. Felt board, white board, writing workshop pages
Dolly
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous counting tale that reminds me of Musk Ox Counts. The narrative is short and the illustrations are hilarious - it's a good book to read with children of all ages. We enjoyed reading this book together.

This book was selected as one of the books for the August 2014 - Counting discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
High Plains Library District
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, victoria
I have found another favorite picture book author!

I watched Mac Barnett's TED talk ("why a good book is a secret door") and was so impressed that I had to find some of his books to read.

Count the Monkeys is a very fun & silly book, GREAT humor and illustrations. It is interactive, giving the child something to do before he/she turns every page. ("cover your eyes while you turn the page" etc.) And don’t forget, you and the child get to count things!

Clever and colorful. If you (or your kid)
Julee
This interactive book was so much fun to use as a library read aloud with preschoolers and Kinder kids. It is the type of book that has them excitedly sharing their version of Count the Monkeys with their families. The secret is to pretend, you as the reader, have not seen the last page of the book where the monkeys finally turn up. It is hysterically funny and a must have in a library collection.
Jackie
Mac Barnett does it again. This book is sooooo much fun, very interactive and full of Barnett's sly humor. The illustrations by Kevin Cornell are perfect. These two make a great team.

This book is probably not good for a bedtime story, though--there will be much giggling and shouting and making of noise while reading this book.
Katya
A surprise preschool storytime hit. I'd been sitting on it a while because I thought it might be too involved for my pre-schoolers, who skew young. Nope. They adored it, I adored it, and the parents went nuts. The pacing is excellent and the amount of gratuitous pancake stacks is just an added bonus.
Libby
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My mom got this for my kids and we all love it--and Mom has decided she needs to get it for her school library. While counting can occur, and you can count some monkeys if you really try, the real fun of this book is all the crazy animals and people who make counting the monkeys difficult.
Beth
Kids will have an uproarious good time counting all the monkeys throughout the pages of this book. But wait a minute... Where are all the monkeys?

This book is a must for every Kindergarten teacher and must be read aloud with great gusto. Expect kids to cause a ruckus. That's just the way this book was written. :)
Cheryl
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: to-enjoy-again
Well, they're Brown Bears, not Grizzly Bears, but nevermind. Great silly fun. Good fit with Disney/Hyperion publishing. Lumberjacks do like their pancakes! Good reread value as the illustrations have lots of contextual details that are fun to discover.
Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
I would never have thought a counting book could be this entertaining. Bright, fun drawings, a funny story, and even audience participation!

A great story to read aloud, with lots of things to draw kids in and make them active participants!
Abeer Hoque
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This might be one of my favourite kids' books. It's inventive, funny, interactive, surprising, silly, vivid, and smart.
Linda Todd
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The kids loved this book they learned to read some of the words at first then they learned to read the book they loved to read it to the toys at night.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A counting book that's a whole lot of fun and that kids will really enjoy as a participatory read aloud. I kept losing count trying to count the monkeys.
Gemma

• Ah Ha!
  • Ribbit!
  • Night Light
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • That Is Not a Good Idea!
  • Carnivores
  • Sophie's Squash
  • Xander's Panda Party
  • Mustache Baby
  • Brief Thief
Born to non-farmers in a California farming community, Mac Barnett now lives near San Francisco. He's on the board of directors of 826LA, a nonprofit writing center for students in Los Angeles, and he founded the Echo Park Time Travel Mart, a convenience store for time travelers.