Start by marking “Programming Android” as Want to Read:
Programming Android

Programming Android

What does it take to build well-engineered Android applications? Explore Android's core building blocks and APIs in depth with this authoritative guide, and learn how to create compelling apps that work on a full range of Android devices. You'll work with proven approaches to app design and implementation--including application frameworks that you can use as a starting poi ...more
Published July 15th 2011 by O'Reilly Media (first published December 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Programming Android, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Android

Carol M.
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're on your first Android project (like me), get this book, right away! Don't be intimidated by its official designation as "intermediate". As a beginner, you'll want to know how to rescue yourself from bugs. This book provides the context behind every concept: you'll know the why, the what to do next, and the what to avoid (and why!). You'll develop a mental mapping of the "space" where everything sits.

It's aimed at people who've done some Java already, but if you haven't, there's a very
Thomas Harning
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Want to get into Android programming? What better than a book called Programming Android from O'Reilly! :) This is a GREAT resource! The book is well-organized into sections, giving you information on how to setup your environment all the way up to handling more recent topics like NFC.

I find that the style of the book works well as a reference to look up roughly how you would do something, like setup NFC P2P or setup some OpenGL graphics, as well as a running tutorial to read through to learn ho
Fernando
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very detailed explanations of the Java language and android environment. The authors explains Java to the extent it relates to android OS and the Davrik Compiler. Keep in mind that when the book was published Android 4.0 was the latest version. But don't let that publishing date fool you because App support for Android 4.0 will have to go on for a while and the book is still very relevant as of Android 4.3-4.4. If your an experienced android developer look elsewhere this is for beginners. Expe ...more
Ali
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
A good overview.

The instructions for setting up the build environment are already obsolete. In the second edition. Of an e-book.

But once I'd figured that part out I was able to (virtually) leaf through the book to aid me figuring out the structure of the app that I'd chosen to debug. And, eventually, to creating my own android app, from setting up the directory structure to signing the app for release.
Brannon
May 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is advertised as being very "advanced". It's not. It's advertised as having information about the NDK. It doesn't (unless you count one overly-long, unexplained example program as information). It has more information about the Java language that I cared to get in a book of this nature, and less information about sensors than is needed to do anything significant with them.
Étienne Savard
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best book on Android right now. Authors keep it updated with new revision regularly (3rd edition is due in december 2014).
Saad Shakeel
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I learnt from this book is that, one should hire a programmer instead of trying to learn every thing beyond scope. Still I'd appreciate writer's effort. Good for beginners.
Amani
Good Android book. I have found many useful information in it about Android main components and also in JAVA. But it is somehow not well-organized and contains some mess.
Saif Khadr
Aug 07, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
How can I get read this book
Sameera Shaik
have to read this
Mike
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going back to this when I have more spare time; this book is technical in nature and requires more commitment than I have to offer right now!
Ye
Matt
Feb 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Programming in Objective C
  • The Well-Grounded Java Developer: Vital techniques of Java 7 and polyglot programming
  • Even Faster Web Sites
  • Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C Library
  • Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • Professional Android 4 Application Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Zigurd Mednieks is a consultant to leading OEMs, enterprises, and entrepreneurial ventures creating mobile and IoT systems and apps.

Previously he was Chief Architect at D2 Technologies, a voice-over-IP (VoIP) technology provider. There he lead engineering and product definition work for products that blend communication and social media in purpose-built embedded systems.

He is lead author of the to